New Striker?

kimosavi

7 hours ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

I'm assuming the Iraqi doesn't play in Iraq. If you can't get a game in Iraq, you're not good enough for Hearts.

Surely?

Iraq idle...

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rudi must stay
10 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I wonder if someone got their war-torn middle-eastern countries mixed up and the Iraqi striker is actually Syrian Sanharib Malki? He trained with Roda JC in November and looked to be close to signing for Fortuna Sittard at one point after failing to win a deal. Former team-mate of Djoum's at Roda.

Not an exciting prospect but he's the best guess I could come up with.

No team and he's 33. Exciting

That-Day-In-May

Not going to read through the whole thread as I have a slight feeling the talk might not be all about, eh, a new striker. Not sure if his name has been mentioned, but what about Souleymane Coulibaly?  Seems Leveins been in the market for a targetman which i can’t understand as it’s the opposite we’re needing. Surely this would be a good signing, that’s if we’re even interested!

1 minute ago, That-Day-In-May said:

Not going to read through the whole thread as I have a slight feeling the talk might not be all about, eh, a new striker. Not sure if his name has been mentioned, but what about Souleymane Coulibaly?  Seems Leveins been in the market for a targetman which i can’t understand as it’s the opposite we’re needing. Surely this would be a good signing, that’s if we’re even interested!

Not a bad shout, but theres a clear reason why such a young talented player is still without a team, he basically left Egypt and refused to go back. They paid £800k for him, I reckon any team that picks him up will be dragged into paying that figure to the Egyptian team he signed for. I don't know if its worth the hassle? 

36 minutes ago, That-Day-In-May said:

Why not a target man, because Kyle Lafferty is not?

First touch 8 out of 10 is poor and, he wins some headers but hold up play distinctly average.

Having said that, he usually does something significant with his few successful attempts at controlling the ball.

Arguably, his defensive performance at dead ball situations, scores higher

That-Day-In-May
34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Not a bad shout, but theres a clear reason why such a young talented player is still without a team, he basically left Egypt and refused to go back. They paid £800k for him, I reckon any team that picks him up will be dragged into paying that figure to the Egyptian team he signed for. I don't know if its worth the hassle? 

That’s a good point. It’s a weird situation with what happened with him and Al Ahly. Not sure if the £800k was payed upfront to Killie but there seems to be a few issues with what has happened which may indicate to why he’s been without a club for so long.

Hate to say it but i think we should get big fat zeefuik in. 

Get him on a strict training regime. 

He's scored goals at every club he's been at and is the type of clinical striker we need. 

I don't think we'll get anyone better than him in the free market. 

That-Day-In-May
4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Why not a target man, because Kyle Lafferty is not?

First touch 8 out of 10 is poor and, he wins some headers but hold up play distinctly average.

Having said that, he usually does something significant with his few successful attempts at controlling the ball.

Lafferty is a strange one. I’m a big fan but it doesn’t seem to me like we’ve been playing to his strengths, either that or he’s not suited for us. I feel he can be utilised as a target man as he can win headers, but he’s got far more talent (at times!) than most other target men do. I’d like to see us go for a faster and more skillful striker and if Coulibaly is anything what he was like with Killie then this is what we’ll have. But then on the other side I’m not sure if he’s an out and out striker as he moves out wide a lot.

Who knows, we may end up with Coulibaly and he could be garbage or we could end up with a target man who is brilliant for us, but the one thing I think we all agre on is that we need to sign another striker!

1 hour ago, That-Day-In-May said:

Lafferty is a strange one. I’m a big fan but it doesn’t seem to me like we’ve been playing to his strengths, either that or he’s not suited for us. I feel he can be utilised as a target man as he can win headers, but he’s got far more talent (at times!) than most other target men do. I’d like to see us go for a faster and more skillful striker and if Coulibaly is anything what he was like with Killie then this is what we’ll have. But then on the other side I’m not sure if he’s an out and out striker as he moves out wide a lot.

Who knows, we may end up with Coulibaly and he could be garbage or we could end up with a target man who is brilliant for us, but the one thing I think we all agre on is that we need to sign another striker!

We haven't an out and out centre forward. Laff prefers to play wide for some reason so i repeat what isaid before if Levein is negotiating with 2 strikers my advice would be sign them both on 4 month contracts within 4 games or so if one is a success extend his contract if he does the business.

2 x 4 month contracts won't break the bank.

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

We haven't an out and out centre forward. Laff prefers to play wide for some reason so i repeat what isaid before if Levein is negotiating with 2 strikers my advice would be sign them both on 4 month contracts within 4 games or so if one is a success extend his contract if he does the business.

2 x 4 month contracts won't break the bank.

It's not as simple as that.  Out of contract players might want a longer contract.  They may conclude that a 4 month contract is hardly worth the hassle.

47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It's not as simple as that.  Out of contract players might want a longer contract.  They may conclude that a 4 month contract is hardly worth the hassle.

4 months wages would be better than none at all so there's that argument also as well as getting themselves in the shop window if they do well.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Take or leave it would be my response.

We have given out too many 2-3 year contracts to rubbish so i'd want an out of contract player to prove themselves. A 4 month contract is better than not earning anything.

2 minutes ago, Jambo jambo said:

This Iraqi/Paraguayan things got me well confused.

Does anyone know who the 2 strikers are ?

56 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

4 months wages would be better than none at all so there's that argument also as well as getting themselves in the shop window if they do well.

That's fine if it's the player's only offer and money is his sole concern.

If he's a family man living in say Sweden, he may well consider life away from his wife and children is not worth it and accept some other offer closer to home even if less money is involved.

4 hours ago, That-Day-In-May said:

A target man type is absolutely what we need - someone the ball sticks to up front basically. Lafferty and Naismith aren't the players who can do that.

19 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A few folk will miss 'chaps'..

Very good :clap:

;)

You never fell in to that trap though.

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Thread is reeking again. FTH.

Who are the vermin playing tomorrow in the cup.:pleasing: 

Correct ML.

Quite funny really.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Banderson looking for his exclusive ??

Khartoum lying in Anderson's bed if he lifts any of my exclusives here tonight :)

Joking aside, I've heard we're not in the market for a striker but are taking a look at a Trinidadian fullback. Free agent, 31 years old, 4 caps for Trinidad and Tobago, but last playing at a low level in the US. Pretty underwhelming if true! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancil_Farrier In as cover I'm hearing, with Jamie Branded going outon loan. Just passing on what I've heard 

6 minutes ago, dellboy1971 said:

Ishmael Miller I heard will be signing

He's played 3 games since 2016... Would likely take him until pre-season to get fit!

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Would rather Dexter Blackstock than Miller. His scoring record, for a striker, is very poor.

We're probably after him too. Levein said he wants British Experience. As for Miller, seems to me he was written off and ended up at Yeovil and turned everyone's opinion of him around and got a good move to Huddersfield. Could be a useful addition

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We need some people watching the directors box today. Could be someone visiting perhaps?

Interesting - absolutely no ITK stuff on here just now. Not surprised really after the flak previously.  Got a feeling that who ever it is we get it will be a surprise. I wonder if we are going Dutch again. ?

8 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Surprised its taken so long unless we intend to offer a contract lasting longer than just til the seasons end.

Could be any number of reasons , family decisions may well come into it , contract length etc

Jamboscanbevicius

Couldn’t make it today as working overseas, but sounds like big KL played well...

BUT the absence of Naismith showed just how light we are up front in the squad!

Young Euan Henderson who came on may prove to be excellent, but it’s slightly different to Cochrane or McDonald. In their positions we have other options to rotate.

An injury and suspension and we could be up having to play Amankwaa or Milinkovic up top on their own.

No point in signing someone unless they are ready to play but we def need another decent striker in for squad depth.

9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

We need some people watching the directors box today. Could be someone visiting perhaps?

The press photographers were out in force prior to the game today, pointing their cameras in that direction.

Maybe just read your post SG & thought they were onto a winner!

Any updates on this ?

Seeing as the window has been closed for 10 days now you’ve got to think the best of the rest and the next best of the rest have now signed elsewhere.

Jambof3tornado

Dont think Levein will waste cash bringing someone in unless they can add something. He's quite happy to throw in youngsters when needed.

Not convinced we will bring anyone else in now.

Just now, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

Anyone any idea why Naismith wasn't included yesterday 

He's injured

5 games in 13 days was a tough ask

The White Cockade
2 minutes ago, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

Anyone any idea why Naismith wasn't included yesterday 

This

I may have been in Peebles but haven't read anywhere why the wee man wasn't playing yesterday

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's injured

T

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's injured

Thanks Mikey1874 

Say Naismith picks up an injury and misses the last couple of weeks of the season (it would hardly be a first for him). Say Lafferty picks up a booking in the cup semi and misses the final. What are our options? A 17 year old who's never scored and that's it.

It's easy to say we don't need another striker after a comfortable win, but I think it'd be short-sighted not to sign one. There are still some decent options out there who'll do a job for 6 months. 

I suspect Levein probably thinks the same.

Archived