Jamie Walker joins Wigan (updated)

Beats

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I would also echo those sentiments. Like most footballers he is entitled to maximize his income opportunities for himself and his family. He has been a good servant to us The level of criticism he got for the penalty incident against Celtic was outrageous but I suppose that was expected when you come up against the guardians of Scottish football.

Totally agree - it’s given me a lot of pleasure to watch him play over the last four years. Thank goodness Cochrane, mcdonald and the others have come along because prior to them he was about the only one worth watching.

best of luck and hope like your ancestor you come back to us in the end.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Spencer

• It should have been ten

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

zoltan socrates
48 minutes ago, Barack said:

On phone, and not sure how sorry. Someone will though...

Interviewer must be off camera like: 

giphy.gif

*chuckle*

To be fair his interview was respectful and seemed honest enough. He’s not great in front of a camera but really who gives a toss. Good luck lad and thanks for the memories. 

53 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Nicholson and Paterson have such clauses and they were both at the end of their contracts.

Fair enough.

Just seems odd that the buying club would agree to it with such a short amount of time left on his contract.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Fair enough.

Just seems odd that the buying club would agree to it with such a short amount of time left on his contract.

We’d also have to hope Jamie hasn’t read kickback for the last six months....

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Oshaniwa is no longer on our books.

#GODISGOD

That is correct. Whether we continue to pay him is another matter 

David McCaig
17 minutes ago, Arry said:

Will be at rangers within 12 months I suspect

Berwick or Cove?

Good. Everyone can just finally move on now. Don’t wish Jamie anything but the best but he will not be missed. His performances have been average at the very best for well over a year now.

Personally I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough or consistent enough to make it down South but would like to be proven wrong.

Watt-Zeefuik

I've already been missing the Jamie Walker of the Neilson years.

Glad for all parties involved that the current version of Walker is getting a fresh start.

It's just a fairly standard football interview. Don't see anything to take the piss about it. Its his football ability they want him for not his IQ.

He's actually come down a level though so he should do well. The problems will start when/if they move up to the championship.

Anyway good luck to him .

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

To be fair his interview was respectful and seemed honest enough. He’s not great in front of a camera but really who gives a toss. Good luck lad and thanks for the memories. 

Totally agree...decent enough interview from someone who is clearly not comfortable in that situation. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Jamie develop during his career and he has given us a number of very special moments. Best of luck to him for

the future.

He'll be a great signing for them imo assuming they get him fully fit which I think they will.  We've always been rushing him back from injuries, it seems like ages since he was fully fit.  Maybe he'll get kicked to bits a bit less down there as well.

Hope he does well but I'm more glad he's not going to Rangers than I am gutted he is leaving.  

Good luck JW, see you back playing against us in a season or two when Hamilton coming knocking for you 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, WageThief said:

He'll be a great signing for them imo assuming they get him fully fit which I think they will.  We've always been rushing him back from injuries, it seems like ages since he was fully fit.  Maybe he'll get kicked to bits a bit less down there as well.

Hope he does well but I'm more glad he's not going to Rangers than I am gutted he is leaving.  

Exactly where I am at.

Even happier for this thread to die

jamboinglasgow

best of luck to him. Gave us some great times, but injury has hampered his career badly. And wish the last 11 months had been different where he was focused for that time.

Good luck Jamie (and fortunate for the woman who sits near by at Tynie who likes to yell at him "come on Jamie" that Jamie Brandon is still in the team.

So glad this saga is over. It’s a real shame things ended this way. The vast majority of us loved Jamie until the Rangers nonsense. 

Hes capable of going on to have a very successful career in England provided he keeps his fitness levels up, avoids injury, and knuckles down. Jamie could also help himself by improving his body language on the park. It isn’t a problem when things are going well, but when the team is struggling  his poor body language makes Jamie an easy target for stick and probably doesn’t properly convey his attitude on the park.

Good luck to the lad. This is a better move for him and us than signing for Rangers would have been.

Riddley Walker

300k now plus whatever development fee we're entitled to in the summer is a decent piece of business.

10 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Won't be missed, hasn't kicked a ball for a year. Obscurity awaits. 

Can't see anything other than this happening tbh.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Won't be missed, hasn't kicked a ball for a year. Obscurity awaits. 

:D:D:D

Howdy Doody Jambo

Well im sure we will have an extra man on our team that turns up for the derby now, he produced nothing against Hibs 

Great ability and some good goals on his day English football might suit him better with a bit extra time on the ball 

Sad ending to his time at Tynecastle 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

47 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

300k now plus whatever development fee we're entitled to in the summer is a decent piece of business.

600K from Rangers would have been better. If as everyone has maintained , that he has not really performed over the last couple of season, then selling to Rangers was no issue .

54 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Except that there will be none.

59 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

10 out of 10 for effort and persistence. Still getting bites :laugh:

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

The development fee will help to fill in the corners, move the police box, sign Zap Knight, and a host of other things JKB has always wanted...

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, fila said:

600K from Rangers would have been better. If as everyone has maintained , that he has not really performed over the last couple of season, then selling to Rangers was no issue .

Nah.  Bigger picture was that we demonstrated that Level 5 don't dictate what this regime does and there are huge questions about Der Hun's capacity to pay.

Glad to be able to see the back of this whole rigmarole.

Glad of the money it both brings in and free's up in wages.

Glad he's gone.

Glad he didn't become our highest paid player.

Glad he doesn't get his dream move to Ibrox.

Glad The Rangers didn't get 'their man'.

Glad. Very glad.

The Real Maroonblood
44 minutes ago, Erik said:

Glad he's gone.

Glad. Very glad.

This.

Riddley Walker
6 hours ago, Ugly American said:

The development fee will help to fill in the corners, move the police box, sign Zap Knight, and a host of other things JKB has always wanted...

:spoton:

Jamie walker was one of our better players over the last few years, he had skill, an eye for goal and his contribution in the championship year will never be forgotten. The problem however, is that injuries have stalled his development to the point that I doubt he will ever be 100% fit, his performances have never reached the level he played at back then. 

He was very badly advised in regards to a potential move to TheRangers, which they were never really in a position to complete and this has left a bad taste for us all. He won't be the last that the media court but as a club we need to teach the young players that going along the M8 is not the pinnacle of their aspirations 

14 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Jamie walker was one of our better players over the last few years, he had skill, an eye for goal and his contribution in the championship year will never be forgotten. The problem however, is that injuries have stalled his development to the point that I doubt he will ever be 100% fit, his performances have never reached the level he played at back then. 

He was very badly advised in regards to a potential move to TheRangers, which they were never really in a position to complete and this has left a bad taste for us all. He won't be the last that the media court but as a club we need to teach the young players that going along the M8 is not the pinnacle of their aspirations 

with walker now gone, the boo boys need somebody else to rip the shit outta, so the media just have to wait until we pick on somebody to get their story.

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Glad he's gone.

Glad. Very glad.

Glad I'm with Eric on this .... 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-jamie-walker-can-light-up-league-one-after-hearts-exit-1-4656314

Robbie Neilson helped Jamie Walker evolve from shy academy kid into Hearts talisman. Now he believes the forward can propel himself towards the glamour of England’s Premier League after joining Wigan Athletic.

Walker completed a £300,000 move to Greater Manchester yesterday, signing a two-and-a-half-year contract which end his 14-year association with Hearts. Questions about swapping Scotland’s top tier for England’s third are prevalent but Neilson made the same journey from Tynecastle to League One 13 months ago when he became MK Dons manager. He insists League One, and Wigan especially, will provide an ideal platform for the 24-year-old.

Paul Cook’s side are top of the table and on course for promotion back to the Championship this summer. Provided Walker can cope with the physicality of that division next season, he could then step up again towards the richest league in world football. Neilson believes his former player can light up League One after leaving the “glass ceiling” of Scottish football.

“Jamie grew up at Hearts but, given the age he’s at now, if he stays for another three years then he has missed the boat for England. This is an ideal opportunity for him,” explained Neilson. “His contract is coming to an end, Hearts get some decent money for him and he gets time to settle in. I’m sure he will do well at Wigan.

“He maybe doesn’t have the athletic mobility of some boys down here but he has a really good understanding of the game, plus he has moments of flair in him.

“He has picked a good club to go to because Wigan have stabilised. They were a bit erratic in the Championship for a period and then they came down with Paul Cook. They have a strong squad, by far the best in the league. You would expect them to get up.

“That gives Jamie five months to bed in, get himself in the team, understand what it’s like down here, get used to the physicality, and then hopefully do well in the Championship. The jump from League One to the Championship is massive.

“Wigan are so far ahead of the majority of teams in League One that they dominate possession, so I don’t think physicality will be too much of an issue for him initially. The step up will be when they move up to the Championship, whether they can compete with some of these big teams.

“Wolves are buying people for £15million in that division. Derby and clubs like that have massive budgets. They are almost Premier League teams. It depends if Wigan can go up and then invest and strengthen their squad again.

“If Jamie does well at Wigan, his next move is probably a top-end Championship side. Do well there and your next step is the Premier League. Sometimes in Scotland you can hit a glass ceiling when you’re at the top of that market. He’ll be in the middle of the market at Wigan with the opportunity to progress.”

Neilson helped further Walker’s career during two-and-a-half years as head coach of Hearts. After last summer’s failed attempts by Rangers to take him to Ibrox, Wigan offer a lot of what the winger wants.

“We play Wigan towards the end of the season up there so we will get him watched,” said Neilson. “You always want to see players you’ve worked with progressing. I hope he comes down here and lights this league up because it will be great for him and it augurs well for Scottish football.

“Jamie wants to come to England but it’s difficult to get down here at the top level. Even the top end of the Championship is tough. It’s about picking the right team to join. I know the way Paul Cook plays. He uses 4-2-3-1, with two wide players who are narrow and a No.10 in the middle. Jamie can play any of those positions so I think it’s a good move for him.

“The main differences between this league and Scotland are physicality and pace. It’s end-to-end with lots of transitions. To stand out down here you need to be good in one-versus-one situations, both defensively and attacking. I’d say Jamie is very good attacking in one-v-ones, and defensively he’s getting a lot better.”

Perhaps naturally, third-division football in most countries prompts thoughts of poor standards and meek surroundings. Not in England, as Neilson explains.

“Most of the facilities are really good. We have a great stadium at MK Dons, there’s Charlton, Wigan, Blackburn and clubs like that. Even smaller teams like Fleetwood have new stadiums. You get old-fashioned stadiums at the likes of Oldham and Bury, but they have a real intensity about them. You go to most places in League One and the crowds are averaging 10,000. It will be a good experience for Jamie, as it was for us. There are different venues, different players, different systems and bigger squads, so it’s hard to predict what you’re playing against.

“You get better contacts down here and meet more people. You know all the teams and players in Scotland because I was there a long time. Down here it’s different styles and surroundings and a lot of new people. It will all be new for Jamie and I’m sure he’ll enjoy it.”

Neilson has no doubt he made the right decision leaving Edinburgh for Milton Keynes despite a difficult campaign. MK Dons sit 19th in League One, the same position as when he took charge. They remain in transition and searching for consistency, although Saturday’s 1-0 FA Cup win at Championship side Queens Park Rangers was a much-needed filip.

“This is a very unpredictable league. We’ve struggled for consistency this season,” he admitted. “We’ve had some top performances and also some bad runs. From a management and coaching perspective, it’s been great development for me, though. I brought my own staff down and joined a club that needed turned around, totally restructured. We still have a lot of work to do here with the squad so it’s still developing.

“We always want to be successful and we certainly hoped to be doing better than we are at this point in the season. If we can get a couple of players in this month and a couple out, then do the same in the summer, it will help. That’s the hardest thing when you come in as a manager – moving people out and getting the right ones in. It will take a little bit of time and the key is getting that time.”

Meanwhile, back in Gorgie, Hearts will enjoy a winter break in Spain this week after a nine-game unbeaten run and a record-breaking six clean sheets in a row. Neilson isn’t surprised his former manager and director of football, Craig Levein, has had a major impact since returning to the dugout.

“Craig is a very good manager; I was talking to him a couple of weeks ago. I’m sure he’s delighted being back involved in day-to-day football decisions. I had no doubt the Hearts ship was going to steady when he came in. Now it’s a case of recruiting this month and trying to push on.”

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Wasn't funny the first 17 times either. 

It should have been ten
14 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

We’d also have to hope Jamie hasn’t read kickback for the last six months....

Why though? Anything said on here he's brought on himself with his piss poor attitude. Glad to see the back of him and the whole saga. 

Edited by It should have been ten

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, It should have been ten said:

Why? 

If he has a role to play in agreeing any compensation for future moves then reading the names he has been called on here might not encourage him to support that?

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

If he has a role to play in agreeing any compensation for future moves then reading the names he has been called on here might not encourage him to support that?

Like I said before, anything said on here he's brought on himself with his piss poor attitude. The club and fans deserved better than what he's served up the past year.

scott herbertson
Just now, It should have been ten said:

Like I said before, anything said on here he's brought on himself with his piss poor attitude. The club and fans deserved better than what he's served up the past year.

I’m sure he doesn’t think so though (and reading the first page of this thread makes it clear Hearts fans are divided on that) So I think reading people saying that may not make him want to do the best for us in a negotiation. If you don’t agree, fine.

It should have been ten
Just now, scott herbertson said:

I’m sure he doesn’t think so though (and reading the first page of this thread makes it clear Hearts fans are divided on that) So I think reading people saying that may not make him want to do the best for us in a negotiation. If you don’t agree, fine.

That would show the measure of the man then. If after everything the club has done for him from when he joined the age of 10 he'd feel he wouldn't want to do his best for us in any negotiations it would only reiterate what many of us mean by his stinking attitude. Also he hasn't exactly wanted to do his best for us for a long enough time. Glad the whole saga is over and we can all move on.

16 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

That would show the measure of the man then. If after everything the club has done for him from when he joined the age of 10 he'd feel he wouldn't want to do his best for us in any negotiations it would only reiterate what many of us mean by his stinking attitude. Also he hasn't exactly wanted to do his best for us for a long enough time. Glad the whole saga is over and we can all move on.

Regardless is he wants to do the best for us in negotiations, he certainly has not been doing the best for us on the park for well over a year.

Glad he is off and everyone can now move on.

Still think he will wind up at Motherwell or Kilmarnock in a few years time but will be happy if he proved me wrong.

Edited by Lambo85

• davemclaren locked this topic