Levein stay or go? ( merged superthread )

mscjambo

Time up for Levein?   

856 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for Levein to go?

• YES - He should be sacked.
    • YES - He should resign.
    • NO - He needs more time to turn things round.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Bazzas right boot

• Escobar PHM

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

This poll is flawed. I mean should Levein resign........OF COURSE HE SHOULD BUT HE WON'T! 

He wanted Jon Daly as Head Coach another (Cathro) experiment. He will want Daly to get his job when Ann Budge says "Craig your times up" and he will go back to DOF.  We are now in real trouble.  

The poll should be:

Do you want Levein to stay as manager

with his bootroom.

Do you want an experienced manager with his staff.

Simple.

The most important person at a club is the manager not the DOF.

Yes and Yes for me 

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

No, I would not be happy with failure. I can see the bigger picture. You keep stomping your little feet, it will achieve nothing, chum. 

what can you see in your bigger picture then.....what is levein and his entourage going to do to turn this mess around to make it all a success

`stomping your little feet` indeed,your a patronising old tory

stomping feet and loud voices was what finally nailed ian cathro at the start of the season btw

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Levein is/was in charge of the football department. One of his key roles is/was recruitment of the squad, based on the requirements provided and suggested by the head coach. No head coach under Levein has picked a player out that he wanted signed and had that player signed. Thats not how it worked. Neilson said so. Cathro said so. Levein said so.

That’s just so wrong. Think you have things completely mixed up. One example is Sammon. Robbie desperately wanted him. Levein was persuaded to push the boat out to get him against his better judgement. Another example is Martin. Very much a McPhee signing. 

You need to do your homework before posting. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I expected this season to be a bit up and down until he guts the squad, plus there's whole stadium business going on, but if he isn't able motivate the team then we are in big trouble because apart from the centre backs and the centre forwards there is a real lack of quality throughout the team. 

As I said to Beats, if we get to five defeats in a row, I really can't see him surviving that.

He certainly needs a result or two. Confident that will happen. Bad as we have played last two games if Callachan and Isma score two pretty straightforward chances we have 6 points more and in a pretty good place with 6 home games to come. Small things going against him at the moment and situation just getting worse through no fault of his own. Think today was Lafferty sixth  yellow so suspension loooming. Two of them for simulation. How does a manager take the blame for that?

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s just so wrong. Think you have things completely mixed up. One example is Sammon. Robbie desperately wanted him. Levein was persuaded to push the boat out to get him against his better judgement. Another example is Martin. Very much a McPhee signing. 

Who exactly persuaded Levein to sign Sammon against his better judgement ? How did Levein allow his better judgement to be overruled ? How many times has he gone against his better judgement and signed a player he wasn't in favour of signing ? Who decided on the length of contract and the salary for Sammon and Martin. Who authorised that it if wasn't Craig Levein ?

kingantti1874

Stay. But we need to sign 3/4 in January and see significant improvements Otherwise time is up in the summer.. 

2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Who exactly persuaded Levein to sign Sammon against his better judgement ? How did Levein allow his better judgement to be overruled ? How many times has he gone against his better judgement and signed a player he wasn't in favour of signing ? Who decided on the length of contract and the salary for Sammon and Martin. Who authorised that it if wasn't Craig Levein ?

Several times. Head coaches were selecting players. Levein brought  them in. That’s  the basis of the model. What bit of it do you not understand? 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Several times. Head coaches were selecting players. Levein brought  them in. That’s  the basis of the model. What bit of it do you not understand? 

The bit where you said that was the model. It wasn't.

Neilson, Cathro and Levein have all explained the model in detail several times.

1. Discussion and input was had as to what was required by the head coach

2. Levein and Murray sought out players who were available and affordable and fitted the budget

3. Further discussion was had as to who from the shortlist presented, that the head coach preferred.

4. Levein, the Director of football, concluded all negotiations from there.

Levein was in charge. He had the final say. His word was final. Connor Sammon and  Martin were sourced, presented to the head coach as options. and negotiated by him. As was every single signing since day 1.

Dagger Is Back

Pretty torn on this one. This is a very limited squad and we’ve made some horrendous signings who either don’t play or even make the bench. I think I’d give him some time but who is going to relieve us of the deadwood?

Debating whether CL should stay or go is a waste of time. CL will never go voluntarily and our Chairwoman will never get rid as she lets him deal with the footballing side of the business. 

The fans want want to see HMFC play decent football, fight for the jersey and put together a decent season with a run in both cups. At the moment the football is turgid, there’s no fight about the team and I dread the SC and getting a draw like Dunfermline or Livvy as that at the moment would be a season ender. 

CL should have done the honourable thing for the club and stepped aside from anything to do with the first team after the Cathro debacle. He should have been made to by Budge when our 5 year plan eventually fell apart. Under his watch we’ve had 5 pretty poor transfer windows, signing players some of whom would struggle a couple of divisions below us. We are devoid of ideas, fight, desire, passion and most of all skill. 

I’ve thought about the interview process after Cathro and actually believe it was slanted for Daly to get the job. Let’s be honest, Elvis and Hartley would have been a disaster. Their managerial records are poor. Hartley in particular is now being shown up for the very mediocre manager that he was is. Freedman was hooring himself but probably knew that Palace were in the background and the exception to the non boat rockers was Billy Davies. Odious little gabshite that he is, was never going to accept the job working with the constraints of a DOF and the coaches being chosen for him. CL knew that. That left the chosen one, Daly, which got rejected by AB as she wanted someone experienced in the hot seat. The issue I have is that guys like Sergio, Coyle and even Lazlo had better managerial records that 4 of our candidates. They all were interested in the job yet none made the cut. The candidates were the equivalent of Ronald McDonald being asked to manage a billion dollar hedge fund. 

It it boils down to CLs ego. He’s had an epiphany since he took the Scotland job about the way football is played and how it should be structured. All very well if the other managers in the league got the mission statement. Clearly the didn’t leaving us with an albatross of a DOF. 

If he was performing this poorly as a director in any other business sector, he’d be fired. The only ones who can’t see how poor his tenure as DOF has been are Budge and those who blindly believe that management can do no wrong.

I’ve been going to games since 1979 and seen some poor teams taking the field at Tynecastle. I don’t expect us to win every game but at the moment we’re a soft touch with no stomach for a fight and that’s what hurts me the most. CL was one of my favourite players but I’m sorry he’s dragging the club on a downward spiral that won’t improve until he removes himself from first team affairs

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Pretty torn on this one. This is a very limited squad and we’ve made some horrendous signings who either don’t play or even make the bench. I think I’d give him some time but who is going to relieve us of the deadwood?

Equally important is will there be any cash available for players in January. The cost of the stand will come in at millions over what was budgeted for, and money will need to be found to cover that. It seems reasonable to assume that if any money had been set aside for player purchases that may have to be sacrificed.

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Equally important is will there be any cash available for players in January. The cost of the stand will come in at millions over what was budgeted for, and money will need to be found to cover that. It seems reasonable to assume that if any money had been set aside for player purchases that may have to be sacrificed.

Yip. Worrying attendance figure today too. A bit of a chicken and egg situation 

9 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

If we don't achieve getting on for full points in the next 5 games the season is done and, assuming we're not actually in relegation trouble, signings in January wouldn't revive a dead season. As long as we are safe by January, we won't need signings and the way forward becomes a bit simpler. Give Levein notice, get a new manager on stand by to start the day Levein goes. If necessary get an experienced football administrator on board (one who doesn't get to go anywhere near Riccarton or the dressing room at Tynecastle)

If we write off this season under Levein ( by design to get breathing space or just because we're shite), he cannot possibly be allowed another one. In any capacity.

Edited by Escobar PHM

He is living in the past and is dragging our team backward he is a dinosaur and should be extinct,Even the vermin thought outside the box and brought someone in who has got them playing out their skin,as much as Ihate Lennon I wish he was our manager and I never thought I'd hear myself say it

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

He is living in the past and is dragging our team backward he is a dinosaur and should be extinct,Even the vermin thought outside the box and brought someone in who has got them playing out their skin,as much as Ihate Lennon I wish he was our manager and I never thought I'd hear myself say it

Not sure I'd take Lennon at this stage in our evolution. I'd take their upper administrative and management structure in a minute though. They've got that right and it is showing on the football side.

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Total and utter bollocks. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

I'm still too pissed off after today's awful performance to bother voting.  Part of me thinks he should go but then part of me thinks half the squad should go.  Unless we have someone great lined up and a good bit of cash to spend, then I don't see things getting any better.  Shocking state of affairs on the footballing side.

Paisley Jambo
6 hours ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

His recruitment for the championship season was spot on. What's happened since? Why's it got so bad? 

He had a core of a team presented to him to start with so not all his work. It mystifies me when even before the end of the Championship winning season he started to tear the team apart.

Is levein with the players a lot of the time or is it the army of coaches we have that are with them all week. He was at the mouth of the tunnel from 2pm standing around speaking to press etc . So he must leave it to others to  get the team up for the game.  He doesn't even travel with the team to away games on the team bus but travels on his own by car .

For me it's not the time to judge. Too many other mitigating factors. I have concerns but I'm personally resigned to giving it to the end of this season. 

17 minutes ago, scabber said:

Is levein with the players a lot of the time or is it the army of coaches we have that are with them all week. He was at the mouth of the tunnel from 2pm standing around speaking to press etc . So he must leave it to others to  get the team up for the game.  He doesn't even travel with the team to away games on the team bus but travels on his own by car .

Very strange.Not committed.

28 minutes ago, redm said:

For me it's not the time to judge. Too many other mitigating factors. I have concerns but I'm personally resigned to giving it to the end of this season. 

It really is the time to judge. Levein isn't going to make this better, the only way it gets better is if he goes, he should have been away after the Cathro shambles, it's been so clear for a long time now that we're going backwards, it worked for a period of time with Levein but it's long past the time to freshen things up.

7 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

It really is the time to judge. Levein isn't going to make this better, the only way it gets better is if he goes, he should have been away after the Cathro shambles, it's been so clear for a long time now that we're going backwards, it worked for a period of time with Levein but it's long past the time to freshen things up.

Key players are out, we haven't played a home game, in hindsight Cathro was a mistake but mistakes have consequences and take some time to fix. Levein - better than anyone you'd hope - can see exactly what the problems are. That's why I'm not get ready to call for anyone's head. Or it's some of the reasons why anyway. 

2 minutes ago, redm said:

Key players are out, we haven't played a home game, in hindsight Cathro was a mistake but mistakes have consequences and take some time to fix. Levein - better than anyone you'd hope - can see exactly what the problems are. That's why I'm not get ready to call for anyone's head. Or it's some of the reasons why anyway. 

They're just poor excuses in my opinion. It's not like Levein hasn't been a big part of things for a long time either, him basically appointing himself I thought was absolutely ridiculous and a slap in the face of the fans after having a slight bit of optimism when Cathro was sacked with some of the names mentioned. The way we're playing, being back at Tynecastle won't change a thing.

12 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

They're just poor excuses in my opinion. It's not like Levein hasn't been a big part of things for a long time either, him basically appointing himself I thought was absolutely ridiculous and a slap in the face of the fans after having a slight bit of optimism when Cathro was sacked with some of the names mentioned. The way we're playing, being back at Tynecastle won't change a thing.

Spot on can't see us winning against any body we are relegation material

The only way to get rid of the ***** is to get to full fan ownership.  I expect when the full financial cost of the new stand is known there might be a further moratorium on her loan.

That will ensure we've got the ***** for even longer. What a ****ing delightful thought.

I genuinely believe he thinks he's doing a wonderful job and we're all too thick to see it

He'll drive fans away one way or another and Budge will continue to be staunchly unwavering in her support of him.

He's here for the foreseeable and he hasn't got the dignity to stand down

We're in a completely unacceptable mess 

Just now, Spencer said:

The only way to get rid of the ***** is to get to full fan ownership.  I expect when the full financial cost of the new stand is known there might be a further moratorium on her loan.

That will ensure we've got the ***** for even longer. What a ****ing delightful thought.

I genuinely believe he thinks he's doing a wonderful job and we're all too thick to see it

He'll drive fans away one way or another and Budge will continue to be staunchly unwavering in her support of him.

He's here for the foreseeable and he hasn't got the dignity to stand down

We're in a completely unacceptable mess 

Not sure I agree Spencer. I get the distinct impression that he's doing this job under some duress and he's not particularly enjoying it no-matter what he might say to the contrary. I'm convinced that Ann told him there wasn't enough in the kitty to finance Cathro's "release" and the consequent salaries of a new manager and support staff and that he was going to have to get on with it himself. Craig and Ann are close but I still don't rule out the possibility of her removing him if things don't start to improve soon - . she's too much of a hard-headed business-woman to let friendship get in the way.

When Robbie left we were challenging for second ( only about  a year ago, for a club that almost went bust we were in a good place, for the realists among us ) a couple of shrewd signings could have improved us again. Cathro and his future replacement line of coaches were brought in, this system ( ''we want to do it a different way'' ) would protect the DOFs position for years to come. Robbies team was totally ripped apart and the Cathro disaster unfolded, and our agent friends had a field day off-loading their rubbish on us over not one but two transfer windows. Cathro was sacked but the big plan is still there, we then had the " interview process '' but obviously nobody was suitable. I do not know if CL wanted to take over but he did, OK with a three year contract. The DOF surely will not sack himself. Like every other club we are having injury problems, but we are throwing in kids, and yes this prompts another conspiracy theory in that they will not get the full wrath of our fans unrest and to some it means the future is bright with all these youngsters. I really hope so, but they are clearly not ready, and our produce from youth development in recent years has been poor, and we are loaning out twenty year olds and playing 16 and 17 year olds in our first team. I would prefer if CL was turning things round and getting some sort of stability back but he is in total charge of this fiasco and now looks out of his depth, there are two questions, can we afford to sack him ? can we afford to keep him ?

If CL goes for whatever reason I don't think it will be too long before Mrs B's involvement will be back to being a supporter on a Saturday 

GO, NOW ASAP.. and take your coaching staff with you. Liam Fox????? he took Cowdenbeath to the brink of oblivion , then a week later he's  back on the Hearts training ground???  Get the lot to f,,k!

If Craig goes of which I'm torn about, he has to leave the club completely. His role as DOF needs to end along with being the manager. It's it's decided he steps down,  I want him to completely step away and the club start a fresh.

6 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Levein should have been punted out the door after the Cathro disaster, that was the time to say enough and move on to a fresh start, but nah he calls the shots so offered himself a tidy wee three year deal as manager because he "missed it" apparently, the club has turned in to a ****ing laughing stock.

Loved CL the player, but he's managed to weasel his way into an untouchable position - reminds me of Graham Rix :(

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

We could have Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola in charge and fans on this forum would want them sacked in a fortnight 

:rofl:

absolute bollocks. There really are some clueless folk on here

7 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Debating whether CL should stay or go is a waste of time. CL will never go voluntarily and our Chairwoman will never get rid as she lets him deal with the footballing side of the business. 

The fans want want to see HMFC play decent football, fight for the jersey and put together a decent season with a run in both cups. At the moment the football is turgid, there’s no fight about the team and I dread the SC and getting a draw like Dunfermline or Livvy as that at the moment would be a season ender. 

CL should have done the honourable thing for the club and stepped aside from anything to do with the first team after the Cathro debacle. He should have been made to by Budge when our 5 year plan eventually fell apart. Under his watch we’ve had 5 pretty poor transfer windows, signing players some of whom would struggle a couple of divisions below us. We are devoid of ideas, fight, desire, passion and most of all skill. 

I’ve thought about the interview process after Cathro and actually believe it was slanted for Daly to get the job. Let’s be honest, Elvis and Hartley would have been a disaster. Their managerial records are poor. Hartley in particular is now being shown up for the very mediocre manager that he was is. Freedman was hooring himself but probably knew that Palace were in the background and the exception to the non boat rockers was Billy Davies. Odious little gabshite that he is, was never going to accept the job working with the constraints of a DOF and the coaches being chosen for him. CL knew that. That left the chosen one, Daly, which got rejected by AB as she wanted someone experienced in the hot seat. The issue I have is that guys like Sergio, Coyle and even Lazlo had better managerial records that 4 of our candidates. They all were interested in the job yet none made the cut. The candidates were the equivalent of Ronald McDonald being asked to manage a billion dollar hedge fund. 

It it boils down to CLs ego. He’s had an epiphany since he took the Scotland job about the way football is played and how it should be structured. All very well if the other managers in the league got the mission statement. Clearly the didn’t leaving us with an albatross of a DOF. 

If he was performing this poorly as a director in any other business sector, he’d be fired. The only ones who can’t see how poor his tenure as DOF has been are Budge and those who blindly believe that management can do no wrong.

I’ve been going to games since 1979 and seen some poor teams taking the field at Tynecastle. I don’t expect us to win every game but at the moment we’re a soft touch with no stomach for a fight and that’s what hurts me the most. CL was one of my favourite players but I’m sorry he’s dragging the club on a downward spiral that won’t improve until he removes himself from first team affairs

Couldn't have put it better myself - spot on!

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I must admit, I'm baffled that CL hasn't been able to improve performances. But as I said earlier, we've been a bit unlucky at times, turning draws into losses and all that. I don't see us going on a five, six game winning streak but I think results will improve enough (not losing) to keep us moving forward. 

They'll need to soon. As DoF, Levein sanctioned every single signing on display today. Three defeats and three sorry performances in a row. 

8 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Lets imagine this season is a write off (transitional as some folk would politely call it) To what level does the squad need 'gutted' Gutted sounds like more than one window. Who is good enough to survive the cull, excluding the young guys who have been playing recently because its a bit harsh judging them in current conditions. Just talking senior pros here.

I'd keep Berra, Souttar, Lafferty, Isma and McLauchlan.

8 hours ago, Boab said:

It's what happens if we do lose those games though, BB. 

Levein going back up stairs and a new coach appointed is not an option the support will accept, imo.

Agree. If Levein fails as manager, that should be it for him.

8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The other thing that adds pressure BB is the fact that Hibs are going well and seem to have the knack of getting to Hampden on a regular basis. We simply have to be competing with them and beating them.

It certainly doesn't help and puts our own situation in an even less-favourable light.

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He certainly needs a result or two. Confident that will happen. Bad as we have played last two games if Callachan and Isma score two pretty straightforward chances we have 6 points more and in a pretty good place with 6 home games to come. Small things going against him at the moment and situation just getting worse through no fault of his own. Think today was Lafferty sixth  yellow so suspension loooming. Two of them for simulation. How does a manager take the blame for that?

There are always moments in games that rest on the tightest of margins, but apart from losing the last three matches, we've played poorly. The current situation is the result of three years under Levein's direction. I can accept defeat if the players are giving 100% and of course, you always get the odd bad day at the office but we have lacked passion in the last three games and players just seem to be going through the motions. 

I hope Levein can turn this around but another couple of games like that and alarm bells should be ringing, if not already.

Our Tynecastle 'homecoming' should be a moment of joy and optimism; a massive achievement and a time to reflect on how far we've come. Recent results and performances have sullied that.

I seriously doubt Levein has the ability to turn this round,he has a blinkered vision in how teams are set up and how our club should be run.Obviously our current shortfalls won't be sorted overnight but we need someone with a better vision than CL.The team he inherited when he became DoF was so much better than this one,more pace,more width and more commitment.He's either got to go,or let him run the academy.

Voted to stay. Next 5 games are absolutely massive and I expect 12 points minimum.

after that I expect a loss to Celtic and probably St Johnstone away BUT we simply must beat the vermin at home on the 27th. Nothing else is acceptable

I thought he was wrong choice from day one and clearly nothings changed, but I would give him until the season end. I still blame this all on the decision to start the season with that little ***** Cathro.

Lets be honest here Owen Coyle and Steve Clarke are achieving better results with a worse group of players.

We can try to blame injuries all we want but it doesn’t gloss over the fact that Djoum has been garbage since coming back from AFCON. Walker is as consistent as he was under Cathro. Where exactly is anyone thinking that even with a full midfield we’d be playing any better.

For those going on about the misses by Callaghan and Isma, are we completely forgetting that we’ve also had a rub of the green in the games against Aberdeen and in Dingwall where Berra blatantly grabbed the opponents jersey and certainly in the Aberdeen game denied a goal scoring opportunity. That if seen was a penalty and us down to 10 men and was us then going behind in the game at Dingwall. Luck usually evens itself out over a season. 

Everyone spoke about the run of games coming up in Edinburgh and in truth it should have been an opportunity for us to climb up the table. People looked at the 6 games starting yesterday and were saying the minimum we should be accepting is 5 wins out of 6. It’s not got off to a great start. 

These 5 games are crucial to our season. We really should be looking at 10 points from them but the way we’re playing, I doubt it.

The question then becomes has CL got the ability to get us out of a fight at the bottom of the table. In truth I don’t believe he has.

The very notion that things will improve is wishful thinking. We are going backward at a rate of knots. Our "Manager" spends two days with the team - changed days from Robbie's triple sessions. If it is true he does not travel with the team, then he is showing contempt for the team.

I do not believe he wanted the job for one minute, and I think this is reflected in our woeful performances. If a team is a reflection of the Manager - then it is plain to see why we are so poor.

The idea that playing at Tynecastle will somehow transform this bunch into what resembles a Football team, is pie in the sky in my opinion.

The sooner he goes the better.

Walter Bishop

“Give him a summer”

”He needs a transfer window”

”Let him bring in his own players”

”He WILL turn it around”

”Things will improve when we are back at Tynecastle”

”Let’s write off this season”

”We have injuries”

”we were in administration”

”we won the championship” 

Same people saying  the same things for past two years. Pathetic. 

:facepalm: 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

“Give him a summer”

”He needs a transfer window”

”Let him bring in his own players”

”He WILL turn it around”

”Things will improve when we are back at Tynecastle”

”Let’s write off this season”

”We have injuries”

”we were in administration”

”we won the championship” 

Same people saying  the same things for past two years. Pathetic. 

:facepalm: 

It is ****ing laughable.

idiots who think criticism of Levein’s long-standing **** ups means we wouldn’t tolerate Guardiola.

Two season in a row we are writing it off, at the start of November, who is the one person with recruitment as part of his remit? And how bad is our squad?  He has run our squad into shit. He should consider his position and if he doesn't, others should consider it for him. 

9 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

The bit where you said that was the model. It wasn't.

Neilson, Cathro and Levein have all explained the model in detail several times.

1. Discussion and input was had as to what was required by the head coach

2. Levein and Murray sought out players who were available and affordable and fitted the budget

3. Further discussion was had as to who from the shortlist presented, that the head coach preferred.

4. Levein, the Director of football, concluded all negotiations from there.

Levein was in charge. He had the final say. His word was final. Connor Sammon and  Martin were sourced, presented to the head coach as options. and negotiated by him. As was every single signing since day 1.

Not seen that anywhere. Doubt you have either. If you are correct who would we sign so many NI players? Is that the only place Levein and Murray look? 

8 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Total and utter bollocks. 

Truth though even though it hurts the Levein out argument. 

We obviously can't afford to bring someone new in otherwise Levein wouldn't have been appointed manager in the first place. He was the cheap option, forced on us because Budge has presided over a huge overspend on the new stand.

• davemclaren locked this topic