Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

We are not the USA where every state legislature has to agree to a constitutional amendment.

The Supreme Court has definitively said that any Brexit deal does not require the approval of the Scottish Parliament.

While both those statements are true on a superficial level, they have absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Admirably making the supreme sacrifice, but how do we find the ditch? :huh:

I've got a spade and a few days spare.

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

While both those statements are true on a superficial level, they have absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted.

You said there was a compelling argument. There isn't. At all.

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

You said there was a compelling argument. There isn't. At all.

You need to read more carefully and completely.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Whats Labours plans for MP who voted with govt?  

Also as Labour appear unlikely at the moment to be elected, you would imagine Corbyn will be ditched after a GE. Would a change of leader mean a different policy/strategy around brexit?

Anybody who loses two GE against the worst, most inept, incompetent & useless bunch of Tories in decades shouldn't be anywhere near politics, let alone be leader of the opposition.

17 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

We are not the USA where every state legislature has to agree to a constitutional amendment.

The Supreme Court has definitively said that any Brexit deal does not require the approval of the Scottish Parliament.

Yes

Scotland really needs to get out of such a weak, reliant position eh?

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

What take back control? Be a rule make and not a rule taker? 

Haud Oan! I thought “the Vow” addressed that... Oh.

39 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Yes

Actually the US Constitution requires 3 quarters of the states to endorse an amendment (currently 38 states)

Edited by RobboM

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What take back control? Be a rule make and not a rule taker? 

We do actually need to man up a bit as a nation

Rights of British Citizens in the EU not in this new deal it’s just been revealed. PM says he will rectify it in the next couple of days. 
What a glaring error that is and highlights why time must be spent scrutinising this bill.

Edited by Dannie Boy

A new poll by Yougov is showing the following voting intensions at a GE.

Tories - 37%

Labour - 22%

Lib Dems - 19%

Brexit Party - 11%

Others - 12%

Boris Johnson is over 20 percentage points ahead of Jeremy Corbyn as to who would make the best PM.

If these figures were repeated in several other polls, then surely that would have to be a massive wake up call for Labour, hell, Labour are only 3% above the Lib Dems and could be in danger of being reduced to the third party and the Lib Dems being the official opposition.

dobmisterdobster
12 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Actually the US Constitution requires 3 quarters of the states to endorse an amendment (currently 38 states)

Thank you. I stand corrected.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tories - 37%

Labour - 22%

Lib Dems - 19%

Brexit Party - 11%

Others - 12%

Boris Johnson is over 20 percentage points ahead of Jeremy Corbyn as to who would make the best PM.

If these figures were repeated in several other polls, then surely that would have to be a massive wake up call for Labour, hell, Labour are only 3% above the Lib Dems and could be in danger of being reduced to the third party and the Lib Dems being the official opposition.

I never really trust these things but I do think Labour have missed the biggest open goal in history.

dobmisterdobster
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tories - 37%

Labour - 22%

Lib Dems - 19%

Brexit Party - 11%

Others - 12%

Even if the Lib Dems beat Labour in the popular vote, First past the post will screw them over.

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

NI has an EU frontier. Scotland is part of the mainland.

We are not a federation. If Scotland gets a veto should London or Yorkshire have one?

Scotland's a nation. Yorkshire and London are part of England.

8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Even if the Lib Dems beat Labour in the popular vote, First past the post will screw them over.

As it always has. FPTP is a ludicrous anachronism and should long since have be consigned to the dustbin of history.  It favours parties whose support happens to be concentrated in particular localities i.e. Labour and Conservative.  Even in a very poor election performance, each can expect to pick up a minimum of 200 seats. It's a bit like how the Old Firm have a stranglehold on Scottish Football - they won't change rules which ensure their dominance, even if inherently unfair.

A huge benefit of doing away with FPTP is that it would get rid of tactical voting immediately.

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Think the problem is these voting intentions due to FTP don’t necessarily correlate to winning seats. That said I suspect the Lib Dem’s might make some good gains south of the border. They will probably become the party of protest for the English.

Agreed with that.

1983 election a good comparison. Lib/SDP alliance got roughly 25% of the vote, just shy of Labour, but only returned about 17 seats (haven't checked that though).

In the current climate, how many of the 13 Scottish Tory seats remain? That means they would have to win those lost back elsewhere plus extra to gain a majority. Not impossible, but I suspect the lib dems may make gains at the expense of the Tories, less so labour.

18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I never really trust these things but I do think Labour have missed the biggest open goal in history.

Labour are slowly being poisoned by Momentum and their grip on the party. Sitting MPs are being bullied and intimidated out of their jobs and deselected.  They are being replaced by candidates further left.  Labour MP John Mann spoke about it on the radio this morning.  I usually voted Labour in the past right up to Ed Milliband even though I didn't like him.  Wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick now. I don't care for Boris either so it's a protest vote for the Lib Dems for me even though I'm unimpressed with Jo Swinson.

maroonlegions

Tory MPs want to claim for childcare expenses. Can't say I blame them. Imagine having to pay someone to look after this all day...

73390739_2520518914698588_4770505370638483456_n.jpg

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Labour are slowly being poisoned by Momentum and their grip on the party. Sitting MPs are being bullied and intimidated out of their jobs and deselected.  They are being replaced by candidates further left.  Labour MP John Mann spoke about it on the radio this morning.  I usually voted Labour in the past right up to Ed Milliband even though I didn't like him.  Wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick now. I don't care for Boris either so it's a protest vote for the Lib Dems for me even though I'm unimpressed with Jo Swinson.

Swinging to the yellow tories , Lib Dem leader Swinton has a  insidious voting record, bedroom tax ect... Nothing wrong with the left getting momentum, had enough of the red tories within Labour, like the Blairites for example. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I couldn’t vote for her either tbh

maroonlegions

The hate for Corbyn has blinded many haters. 

This below from  the well respected  and  credabile Bloomberg ..

Johnson is not even ;listening to such organisations, he is a total car crash of a man and dangerous  

The calculations, based on Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party offering a second referendum that leads to the nation staying in the bloc, demonstrate how the Brexit process has turned the usual norms in the U.K. on their head. Economists and investors are warming to the prospect of a left-wing lawmaker who favors nationalization of some industries and stronger worker protections.

•  
    Corbyn’s Brexit stance better for economy than Johnson’s
  •  
    Bloomberg Economics says the two scenarios are ‘worlds apart’
  •  

Edited by maroonlegions

36 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Neither do I, however I think it's an indication of just how far Labour has fallen when they are about 15% behind the most useless bunch of Tories in decades and only a couple of percentage points ahead of the Lib Dems.

As others have said FTP will not reflect the % the Lib Dem will get, but that's the system we have for now, so not a lot we can do about it.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well at least I’m not the only one to do it 😀

That's what happens when you just copy from others.  Doh.  :facepalm:

Second reading wins by 30.   Swing of 16 needed to defeat programme motion.   It's going to be very close.    

Edited by Victorian

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Is it this vote that if the Gov loses he said would call for a GE or was it the 1st vote there?

Either.      

This will hopefully end in time for my interest to turn towards my football bets.   Unless he calls a FTP act motion.

FTPA ---> BTTS  plz.

4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Just take the delay and have an election.

Yeah

Election could lead to Brexit being cancelled. Top strategy. 

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Nobody knows what to do next not even Bojo! 
EU tells us to do one that would top it all off. 

They would have to cancel article 50 surely 

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

Election could lead to Brexit being cancelled. Top strategy. 

True. Still better than this parliament who won't pass any kind of deal.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )