Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

JRM (after checking in with his stockbroker) will set out upcoming business at some point.     It's completely unknown regarding another programme motion.    No ***** knows.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reckon Boris could get this through if it came to a vote. Think he has the numbers and enough people would blink.

Will it ever come to that though.

1 minute ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

This mess needs a majority government a general election seems the only way forward🤷‍♂️

It just needs more time to debate the legislation. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

I reckon Boris could get this through if it came to a vote. Think he has the numbers and enough people would blink.

The second reading had already carried.   It needs a timetable.   Then it goes to committee stage debate (amendmends aplenty) then the Lords then back to the commons.     It's in train but there are stages and unknown variables to come.

Malinga the Swinga

Given the state of where we are, I, as a firm remainer and someone who has always opposed independence, am now of the opinion that if the childish oaf who is supposedly running this country, gets his way and takes us out of the EU without a deal, then I  may have to hold my nose and vote for the SNP at the next election. Sick to death of Boris, JRM, Francoise and those Labour cowards who put their own futures before the countries.

Having listened to Moggy setting out business, and it looks like no discussion on Brexit, then I hold no hope that an orderly exit is possible.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think a GE is the most likely outcome. I don’t believe the EU will be the side to force a no deal. Particulary when they know GE is now likely and changing the numbers in the house is the most likely way to resolve this. 

Every option comes back in play under a GE as we have no idea that it’s up. 

It’s a mess.

Has Bojo actually just gone of in cream puff (ie. out the chamber) or just peoples interpretation.

Boris was offered a compromise to give a bit more time to debate it all.

But he wants to keep leaving on 31 October open as long as possible.

Fire_At_The_Disco
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It just needs more time to debate the legislation. 

They will never agree! You realise this yes?

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

This. They want "more time" to filibuster and deface the bill with silly amendments.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But meanwhile Boris is stopping Brexit happening. 

Technically not but he could help it by working towards a different programme motion.    Instead he's off to try to deceive the EU and doubtless pore over other tactics with fellow lizards in cabinet + hangers on.     

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Technically not but he could help it by working towards a different programme motion.    Instead he's off to try to deceive the EU and doubtless pore over other tactics with fellow lizards in cabinet + hangers on.     

9 days to find a suitable ditch and a JCB 👍

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

9 days to find a suitable ditch and a JCB 👍

He'll try to get the EU to change the Benn Act 3 month extension to 1 month.   Then come back with a longer programme motion which will carry.    The extension will be sold to the public as a necessary technical extension to pass legislation and that it was their idea and outside of the Benn Act.    

The next massive pie in the face is the committee stage.    The bill will go in looking like Rita Ora and come out looking like Hilda Sugden.   

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

This. They want "more time" to filibuster and deface the bill with silly amendments.

Silly amendments such as protecting workers rights here in the UK, ensuring the rights of Brit workers currently over working in the EU  and ensuring that the ERG & Boris actually carry the deal through and don't bounce out UK with no deal.

Only one side acting silly and that is Boris and his acolytes. 

Could I also ask why Kate Hoey didn't just walk over and join the Conservatives as she is more Tory than most of the Tories. 

Given how great this bill is for the economy, workers rights and custom arrangements in Northern Ireland, surprised the government was unwilling to give it proper time for parliamentary scrutiny and ensure it passed the programme motion.

Maybe they'll bypass parliament now and put it to the people as it's evidently a fantastic deal that leaves us better off than if we stay in the EU.

40 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

He won the vote

But has chosen not to proceed

32 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

They did agree.

Voted the bill to next stage. Which Boris wanted to do until they wanted more time. 

Legislation is probably on line to be passed. 

And how do you read into this....

Result live on BBC.

We listen to Jeremy Corbyn.

We then listen to Boris.

Ian Blackford steps up.....but when the word Independence comes out his mouth BBC goes back to Huw Edward's who talks over him.

Ken Clarke stands up...oh...let's go back and hear what Ken Clarke has to say.....

Hmm

Hmmmmmm

:kirk:

dobmisterdobster
14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Silly amendments such as protecting workers rights here in the UK, ensuring the rights of Brit workers currently over working in the EU  and ensuring that the ERG & Boris actually carry the deal through and don't bounce out UK with no deal.

Only one side acting silly and that is Boris and his acolytes. 

Could I also ask why Kate Hoey didn't just walk over and join the Conservatives as she is more Tory than most of the Tories. 

You're right about Kate Hoey. She is definitely a Tory/DUP sleeper. I quite like her. She is retiring anyway and I think the Lib Dems will take her seat.

dobmisterdobster
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The bill be ammendment and debated till it looks like something else, that’s probably barely recognisable. Talk of a 10 day extension to get legislation through isn’t long enough. 

Gets an extension I think he will collapse his govt.

He can't do that because of FTPA.

Corbyn won't agree to an election being 15 points behind. Neither will Change UK or Tory Independents.

They will either keep Boris hostage for two years or no confidence him.

Maybe the Roman Senators will make Bercow the PM.

Who knows? But we are probably stuck here until 2022. Welcome to hell.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is Bojo not breaking the law if he’s phoning round EU leaders saying he doesn’t want a extension or a different one from the Benn letter?

My point earlier. He appears to be openly flouting the continuation from the Scottish courts with his proposed course of action. 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is Bojo not breaking the law if he’s phoning round EU leaders saying he doesn’t want a extension or a different one from the Benn letter?

The EU has to agree to an extension. They are not bound to accept the Benn letter. Who else is going  to speak to them about it?

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There will be an extension.

He's just playing politics. Sticking to his commitment to leave on 31 October "do or die" for as long as possible.

Once extension agreed we can go back to the bill. 

Francis Albert

And for all the mockery the buffoon has made more progress to getting the thing done in three months than May did in three years.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

And for all the mockery the buffoon has made more progress to getting the thing done in three months than May did in three years.

And now walks away from it risking Brexit not happening.

He's a Remainer. 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I get that the EU has to agree a extension, but Bojo is bound be the Benn act as far as I’m aware. I’m sure there was a court case confirming such. 

So him phoning round EU leaders going see that extension letter, don’t do it I thought was in Conflict of the Benn act. Hence he would be breaking the law 

That will be up to the judiciary who will no doubt get the chance to determine soon.

Just another point on Boris and his deal.

Agree he delivered. But he left it very late. Came to power in July. Didn't put forward his proposal till October.

It's like he is engineering all this. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The only difference between Boris and May is that the ERG are going with Boris, most likely because that hope to get a No Deal exit at the last minute. Other than that, nothing has really changed. 

In fact, if Boris and the ERG cronies had voted for Mays deal, we would have left EU ages ago with better deal than the one we have. Instead, Boris put his personal ambitions before anything else, mainly because he is a power mad egotist.

Interesting to identify those that voted for the first stage  and than voted against the timetable.Possibly the first vote to appease their constituents.

42 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

And how do you read into this....

Result live on BBC.

We listen to Jeremy Corbyn.

We then listen to Boris.

Ian Blackford steps up.....but when the word Independence comes out his mouth BBC goes back to Huw Edward's who talks over him.

Ken Clarke stands up...oh...let's go back and hear what Ken Clarke has to say.....

Hmm

Hmmmmmm

:kirk:

Easiest job in politics. He memorised a speech 20 years ago and just says it every day...

Jambo, Goodbye

I think it's likely the EU will accept a delay and probably give us until January. 

We'll get a GE which can be in November at the soonest. 

Either that or we continue with a new timetable to amend the current deal. But I think Bojo would prefer a GE tbh

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:
Following PM @BorisJohnson’s decision to pause the process of ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement, and in order to avoid a no-deal #Brexit, I will recommend the EU27 accept the UK request for an extension. For this I will propose a written procedure.

Extension could be agreed by end of the week. 

Footballfirst
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Extension could be agreed by end of the week. 

I'd expect that it will be, but there may be other conditions attached, e.g. a "technical" extension to allow the current legislation to be passed, or a major political event, such as an election of a referendum.

dobmisterdobster
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The only difference between Boris and May is that the ERG are going with Boris, most likely because that hope to get a No Deal exit at the last minute. Other than that, nothing has really changed. 

In fact, if Boris and the ERG cronies had voted for Mays deal, we would have left EU ages ago with better deal than the one we have. Instead, Boris put his personal ambitions before anything else, mainly because he is a power mad egotist.

If this No Deal conspiracy was true then why aren't the DUP coming along for the ride?

Even with the ERG, May's deal still would've failed because the DUP would still oppose it.

Footballfirst
Just now, Dannie Boy said:

Big question, how long is the extension?

The "Benn" request specified 31 January, but it is open to the EU to offer something else.

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Big question, how long is the extension?

31 January 

That should be enough to pass all the legislation 

3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

If this No Deal conspiracy was true then why aren't the DUP coming along for the ride?

Even with the ERG, May's deal still would've failed because the DUP would still oppose it.

Yes

No Deal was a negotiating position. They believed it would be helpful. 

Even the talk of 2020 is wrong. Though Government might use it again. 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The "Benn" request specified 31 January, but it is open to the EU to offer something else.

Imagine if the EU said you can have an extension to the 31st January 2025 oh and don’t bother us till then we’ve loads of other things to do. 🥴

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

31 January 

That should be enough to pass all the legislation 

Or boot back as unacceptable which would most likely happen. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Or boot back as unacceptable which would most likely happen. 

Not allowed per se. Boris must accept it unless parliament rejects it.

Benn allowed for Brexit to happen earlier that 31 October (as soon as the required legislation had been passed)

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

He'll try to get the EU to change the Benn Act 3 month extension to 1 month.   Then come back with a longer programme motion which will carry.    The extension will be sold to the public as a necessary technical extension to pass legislation and that it was their idea and outside of the Benn Act.    

The next massive pie in the face is the committee stage.    The bill will go in looking like Rita Ora and come out looking like Hilda Sugden.   

Who?

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Imagine if the EU said you can have an extension to the 31st January 2025 oh and don’t bother us till then we’ve loads of other things to do. 🥴

:lol:

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

When does the Committee stage of the bill start? 

I mean in the sens that he could get this Bill through, not merely a 2nd reading.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I mean in the sens that he could get this Bill through, not merely a 2nd reading.

Sorry 

I actually think he will get the legislation through. 

None of the big amendments will pass.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )