Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Does the Speaker have the authority to send a letter on behalf of the government?  Just curious if it would actually be legal.

Yes, the court can use the power of "nobile officium", which allows the court or its agents to send that letter to all 27 EU member states and institutions on Johnson’s behalf.

So the court can tell Bercow to send the letter.

Edited by Cade

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Does the Speaker have the authority to send a letter on behalf of the government?  Just curious if it would actually be legal.

That would be for the court to decide.

Just now, Cade said:

True.

Also true that many tory donors have sunk hundreds of millions into bets shorting the pound.

Actually betting against britain.

That is the very worst kind of arseholish behaviour. I believe Moggy's one of them. With such a blatant conflict of interest he really shouldn't be an MP in current circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

True.

Also true that many tory donors have sunk hundreds of millions into bets shorting the pound.

I actually think this is the main reason they are pushing for brexit so hard. 

16 minutes ago, Boof said:

Curious that it refers to BST when we'll be back to GMT by then.

The government legislation Website has it as GMT. Not sure what that page is. Possibly an earlier draft. 

Edited by gjcc

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

True.

That says it all then. And yet people still vote for these corrupt idiots who only have self-interest in mind. Baffling. 😡

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The courts could do it, as probably the speaker could.

Someone refusing to sign a document is not a unique situation. I'm sure that there are many occasions when a company or individual refuses to sign something over. At that point the court may be asked to intervene and in effect sign on behalf of the required signatory.

Anyway Boris' people have apparently been in touch with Tusk's people to advise that a letter will be sent this evening.

Dear Boris.

The House voted for more delay only to ensure that if your so-called Great New Deal (which is nothing but all three of May's Deals standing on each other's shoulders in a dirty mackintosh) DOES get passed, that it actually gets enacted before the final date of 31st October.

The fact that you tried to vote against this measure only shows you cannot be trusted to enact your own deal and have always been planning to crash out with no-deal.

This delay is of your own making and nobody else's.

Yours

Reality

Woofs on about not negotiating a delay.

Within a few hours he's told Tusk he is sending the letter.

Playing with words for no purpose whatsoever.    What practical purpose was there to suggesting what he initially did?    None.    

annushorribilis III
20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The courts could do it, as probably the speaker could.

Someone refusing to sign a document is not a unique situation. I'm sure that there are many occasions when a company or individual refuses to sign something over. At that point the court may be asked to intervene and in effect sign on behalf of the required signatory.

Anyway Boris' people have apparently been in touch with Tusk's people to advise that a letter will be sent this evening.

I thought I saw something on Twitter saying a flunkey in Brussels had sent the letter. 

I presume there has been this level of blatant, self-serving, absolutely ******* behaviour in the past from our elected representatives.

Is it just that we all have instant access to 24/7 news at our fingertips that were far more aware of it and therefore angry about it?

Governor Tarkin
25 minutes ago, Boof said:

I presume there has been this level of blatant, self-serving, absolutely ******* behaviour in the past from our elected representatives.

Is it just that we all have instant access to 24/7 news at our fingertips that were far more aware of it and therefore angry about it?

We need a revolution, Boof.

A bloody one.

Footballfirst
1. Govt is sending three documents to the EU tonight - the 1st, the Benn Act extension letter, exactly as set out in law, but that PM has not personally signed; 2nd, a cover note from Sir Tim Barrow and the 3rd, a letter signed by the PM arguing that further delay is a mistake
2. Govt lawyers and advice from Attorney General is that Johnson is complying with law as Benn Act forced him only to ask for delay, not to change his policy - belief they can apply the law in this narrow and specific way will enrage critics

I'd suggest that he is seeking to "frustrate" the Benn Act, i.e. in arguing that an extension is a mistake. That might bring him into conflict with the letter of the law and the Court of Session on Monday.
Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst
Just now, Cade said:

EU will simply say "thanks for the letter, here's your extension"

Boris is a laughing stock.

Tusk could always return it saying that he can't act on it because it's unsigned.

Footballfirst

Predictable responses

Joanna Cherry QC MP @joannaccherry · 8m
Replying to @bbclaurak This is pathetic. NB @BorisJohnson promised #Scottish court he would comply with #BennAct & not seek to frustrate it. Looks like he’s breaking both promises. Fortunately no need to raise new proceedings our existing case is back in court on Monday #Brexit

John McDonnell MP @johnmcdonnellMP · 6m
Johnson is a Prime Minister who is now treating Parliament and the Courts with contempt. His juvenile refusal to even sign the letter confirms what we always suspected that Johnson with his arrogant sense of entitlement considers he is above the law and above accountability. https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1185662057523404801

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

EU will simply say "thanks for the letter, here's your extension"

Boris is a laughing stock.

Agreed, do it quickly and the situation is defused

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I believe it is signed by someone with sufficient authority just not Bojo. Though not 100% sure.

i think him signing is a semantics things so he can say he never requested. In fact he did the exact opposite which is clearly a tactic to appeal to certain sector of electorate.

NEW: Boris’s three letters to circumvent the Benn act
1) a photocopy of the letter in the bill, unsigned
2) a covering note from Sir Tim Barrow which basically says “we’re sending you this because we have to”
3) a signed letter from Boris saying we don’t want an extension

If he has indeed "signed" the 3rd letter, then it is a juvenile act.
Edited by Footballfirst

Juvenile indeed. Boris is going to get his deal with a bit of modification - the numbers indicate that. It's just going to take a little longer. His problem was in saying that we would leave the EU by 31 October by hell or high water and staking his reputation on it. He painted himself into a corner. These are *not* statesman-like qualities. Heaven help us with any future trade negotiations he leads...

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

NEW: Boris’s three letters to circumvent the Benn act
1) a photocopy of the letter in the bill, unsigned
2) a covering note from Sir Tim Barrow which basically says “we’re sending you this because we have to”
3) a signed letter from Boris saying we don’t want an extension

“We don’t want an extension” :

we, Compromising of an unelected prime minister and my hand picked cronies, wish to circumvent the Legislation of our elected house.  

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

While Boris has his pen in hand, he has written to all MPs and Peers this evening.

Does he want to get Brexit done!

what a insincere tw@t

1 minute ago, gjcc said:

“We don’t want an extension” :

we, Compromising of an unelected prime minister and my hand picked cronies, wish to circumvent the Legislation of our elected house designed to circumvent the democratic will of the people.  

FTFY 👍

Footballfirst

If the EU does a bit of brinkmanship in delaying their response to the extension request until the last minute, 30/31 Oct, I can see parliament seeking to pass a vote of no confidence in a final attempt to stop Boris.

It's a risky strategy as it may backfire on Labour in particular with Boris winning an overall majority, then doing what he likes for the next five years.

Edited by Footballfirst

46 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need a revolution, Boof.

A bloody one.

Too right. Where do I sign up?

As another by the way, can you imagine the scenario if we had to rely on the press and the jolly old BBC to keep us informed through this whole fiasco? It wouldve been done by now with very few of us fully aware of just what we're dumping.

annushorribilis III
19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Juvenile indeed. Boris is going to get his deal with a bit of modification - the numbers indicate that. It's just going to take a little longer. His problem was in saying that we would leave the EU by 31 October by hell or high water and staking his reputation on it. He painted himself into a corner. These are *not* statesman-like qualities. Heaven help us with any future trade negotiations he leads...

DUP having a strop today could change the numbers game.  BJ may still win but it was clear even from Tory benches , when Keir Starmer was dissecting the new "agreement" , that a lot of MPs had either not read or not comprehended what was actually contained in it. BJ can't count on the DUP any longer and he still needs all the  Labour defectors too. DUP are saying they value the union over Brexit, that's how angry they are.  Initially I thought BJ would win the day but the DUP fury really could change things. 

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Can someone tell me if it’s true that certain Tories and others in power will benefit financially if there is an EU Exit on or before 31st January 2020 due to new EU tax laws being brought in with regards to off-shore investments/accounts? 

Edited by annushorribilis III

44 minutes ago, frankblack said:

FTFY 👍

17m people from a population of 67m is not the will of the people. And when did the will of the people ever matter to political parties, when they continually ignore their own manifestos.

7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dear Joanah  Cherry enjoy your last few days in parliament you are toast at any GE 

I take it punctuation isn't one of your strong points?

16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dear Joanah  Cherry enjoy your last few days in parliament you are toast at any GE 

She's not toast

annushorribilis III
16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Because ? 

9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Why? For voting in line with her constituents overwhelming wishes on Brexit?

Edinburgh South West: 

27.86 Leave

72.14 Remain

Today Darling would likely have voted along with his Labours pals in direct defiance of the constituents. 

annushorribilis III
Just now, JackLadd said:

I hope Johnson does not sign that BS Benn letter. Send unsigned. 

He didn't but it doesn't matter a shit and Tusk has accepted it. 

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Unsigned letter requesting extension followed by letter stating please don’t grant extension

well played PM 

The childish 2nd letter has no legal standing. 

Footballfirst
42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

17m people from a population of 67m is not the will of the people. And when did the will of the people ever matter to political parties, when they continually ignore their own manifestos.

The repeated claims about both main parties supporting brexit in their 2017 election manifestos annoys the hell out of me.

Theresa May took an opportunist pop at seeking to renew her mandate for what she intended for brexit and her other policies, based on polls suggesting she might get an overall majority of up to 100.  That manifesto was rejected by the public when she ended up losing seats and her majority in parliament.

Similarly Labour didn't win the election either so their manifesto failed to capture the mood of the public.

That was as good an indication as any that the will of the people had started to change their views on Brexit.

It is normal for parties who lose elections, i.e. both the Tories and Labour  in 2017, to change their policies.  That's what the Tories did by hardening their brexit policy, just as Labour did by softening their stance. 

I generally look at the referendum result as a representative group of 25 people, 13 who voted to leave and 12 who voted to remain. It only takes one of the "leavers" to change their mind and reverse the result.

I suspect that maybe 6 or 7 of the 13 were minded towards a hard brexit with the same inclined towards a soft brexit.  On the remain side I think that maybe 7 or 8 were hard remainers, while 4 or 5 would have accepted a soft brexit. The way the last couple of years have gone,  attitudes have polarised and hardened on both sides. The leavers may now have 10 in favour of a hard brexit, while the remain side may also have 10 hard remainers.  It is becoming harder to get that 1 person to change their mind.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

The childish 2nd letter has no legal standing. 

Legal standing lol. The deadline is 31st October and the remoaners/stay in without representationers knew it.

annushorribilis III
Just now, JackLadd said:

Legal standing lol. The deadline is 31st October and the remoaners/stay in without representationers knew it.

Put it in English please.

LOL. 

annushorribilis III
Just now, JackLadd said:

You can't connect simple dots, a common remoaner problem. 

Insults aside, you clearly can't write coherently - representationers ? What's your point ? 

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

That is about 3 swings and misses in one post.

Time for you to quit slavering while you're behind and go to bed. 👍

Hope you had a nice sleep in your Union Jack bed spread Frank... Swings 🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )