• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an utterly shocking waste of parliament's time.     Days of debate on a vote that has now been postponed or scrapped.      

Still putting their own interests ahead of the country.

Stand aside.    **** off.    Allow someone else to do the job.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

What an utterly shocking waste of parliament's time.     Days of debate on a vote that has now been postponed or scrapped.      

Christ if Barry Douglas of Labour's performance last night is anything to go by we're well and truly donald ducked 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Almost every single politician is guilty of that - leave, remain and those who are in between. All of them have pursued their own interests/agenda and there's been no attempt until the last minute to try and find a compromise (which should have been the target from the very start, given how close the vote was).

Knows she’s getting pumped tomorrow, so stops it happening to buy more time.

She makes Thatcher look like Mother Theresa.  Nothing but utter contempt for parliamentary democracy.  It’s like being 3-0 down in injury time and demanding another hour.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Almost every single politician is guilty of that - leave, remain and those who are in between. All of them have pursued their own interests/agenda and there's been no attempt until the last minute to try and find a compromise (which should have been the target from the very start, given how close the vote was).

Can't agree with that.      Everyone else was completely excluded from this process from day 1.       Other parties did put forward proposals but every step has been controlled by the government.      They even tried to completely bypass parliament from voting on it.

There is self interest elsewhere in parliament but there is also genuine belief that the no deal outcome must be avoided.      The only way left is for that decision to be taken away from the government.       

21 minutes ago, jake said:

Just wonder if any leave voters on here would change to remain.

Or vice versa.

I'll vote leave next time.

this is borderline hilarious.

Utterly spineless decision from a leader who cannot lead.

We need a statesman.

Sadly I cannot see any left, on the Brightside this should bring down May, possibly the most shitehawk, abysmal, rudderless PM we have ever had.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Delaying the vote may mean it is even more likely she will be forced out. Loses credibility. 

she never had any- the only politician who has tried appeasing everyone and become universally disliked

Brighton Jambo

I would personally vote remain again but I know a number of people who would now vote leave when they were remain previously.   If it goes to another referendum I predict leave winning by a bigger majority which could only mean no deal.  Scary times

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I would personally vote remain again but I know a number of people who would now vote leave when they were remain previously.   If it goes to another referendum I predict leave winning by a bigger majority which could only mean no deal.  Scary times

Can I ask on what basis they would now vote leave? Seems bizarre given that leave has bee shown to have so few upsides.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Needs people like Keir Starmer and Philip Hammond to salvage this - level-headed individuals. 

we need a cross party convention

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Can I ask on what basis they would now vote leave? Seems bizarre given that leave has bee shown to have so few upsides.

These are not my views remember so don't shoot the messenger!!  There seems to be two prevailing reasons.  The first is that it creates a constitutional crisis if we overturn the original vote.  They question where it would end, do we see a surge in the Eurosceptic movement and we have a third vote in a couple of years.  Their view seems to be its all a bit rubbish but its what we decided as a nation and need to make it work.  The second reason is the way Europe has treated Britain all the way through the negotiations (I am less sympathetic to this as what did we expect) has made them realise they don't want any part of this EU machine in the future. 

May is in a no win situation and has been from day one of this Brexit process. Those that think they can do any better are deluded. She is constantly undermined from all sides here in the UK and in the EU. To many people with their own agendas and their own party political wants doing their level best for themselves. 

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

May is in a no win situation and has been from day one of this Brexit process. Those that think they can do any better are deluded. She is constantly undermined from all sides here in the UK and in the EU. To many people with their own agendas and their own party political wants doing their level best for themselves. 

She was the wrong person for the job , it was doomed from the start

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

These are not my views remember so don't shoot the messenger!!  There seems to be two prevailing reasons.  The first is that it creates a constitutional crisis if we overturn the original vote.  They question where it would end, do we see a surge in the Eurosceptic movement and we have a third vote in a couple of years.  Their view seems to be its all a bit rubbish but its what we decided as a nation and need to make it work.  The second reason is the way Europe has treated Britain all the way through the negotiations (I am less sympathetic to this as what did we expect) has made them realise they don't want any part of this EU machine in the future. 

Fair enough. I kind of see where they're coming from (and I have reservations about the consequences of overturning the vote myself)

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Don't see how you can reach that conclusion. We haven't left. We don't know what the post-transition period relationship with the EU would be if we were to leave.

All we've had is a steady ramp up of Project Fear culminating in the "cliff edge" scare story.

4 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

She was the wrong person for the job , it was doomed from the start

Possibly who knows now, but as I said there is no one in the UK who could do any better mainly because of what I would describe as 5th columnists trying push their own agendas.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Don't see how you can reach that conclusion. We haven't left. We don't know what the post-transition period relationship with the EU would be if we were to leave.

All we've had is a steady ramp up of Project Fear culminating in the "cliff edge" scare story.

It's all a case of probability though. The risks of leaving seem inordinately high when set against the guaranteed benefits (certainly in the short term). Although I do accept that a large portion of people have been trying to obstruct Brexit from the start and have helped to make this the shambles they wanted it to be.

It's difficult to see anything other than another aggrieved minority result from a second referendum. I would vote remain again, because I'm not a hypocrite who has spent the past two years arguing against remain despite voting for it, but at best it would probably be another  2 or 3% majority either way.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Possibly who knows now, but as I said there is no one in the UK who could do any better mainly because of what I would describe as 5th columnists trying push their own agendas.  

I tend to agree. And in the circumstances the "May deal" is IMO not a bad one, making the large assumption that the EU will act in good faith on the non-binding principles of the political declaration on the post-transition arrangements. A half in half out solution hated by both the extreme Brexiters and extreme europhiles  seems appropriate given the divisions the referendum showed and the closeness of the vote.

But the extremes want it all.

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

May is finished. Has to go now. 

This, she should resign and a GE should be called. She can’t spend two weeks trying to gain kudos for her plan then pull it at the last minute because it’s doomed. NewPM, GE, new Ref could be the only way forward. 

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:rofl:

She's going down as the worst prime minister in history, which is quite an achievement

What a cluster**** of a politician. 

I hope Parliament can vote against the delay. 

Will she really stand there at 3:30 and tell all us minions she’s going back to Europe to get a better deal? 

5 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

They really disgust me.

At least the French would be petrol bombing by now

The French do like a good riot of a weekend.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Aye, remember those going about the Scottish Government not "getting on with the day job"?

The tories are a complete shambles, capitulating to some back bench toffs and right wing xenophobes to manufacture a referendum (after Cameron went and got an even better deal for the UK than the other 27 countries in the EU), then making a complete arse of the whole negotiations for 2 bloody years & half of her cabinet quit, then a week of debates only for the "meaningful vote" to be cancelled at the last minute. Meanwhile the value of sterling has fallen since the referendum and we are now stockpiling drugs and food "just in case". 

The UK is an international embarrassment and a laughing stock. The Reece-Moggs and the Boris Johnson's of this world are STILL trying to sell us Unicorn Narnia FFS!

She/they have to go. They have no shame. Used to be a politician had the good grace to resign when they were this bad!

Remember when we actually had a leader worthy of the name/

Who was the last- Blair? He was a total dick, but a leader none the less.

you wonder what this mob see when they look in the mirror- it sure isn't what the rest of us see.

Narcissus

Everyone else is calling for Labour to trigger a confidence motion.      It wouldn't win but it should still be done anyway to show them up.     

Govt doesn't need a new vote to delay the Brexit vote.

They can simply make a statement.

Labour won't try a confidence vote at the minute, these things need to be timed perfectly and doing it now may backfire and rally the Tories around May in fear of a GE.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Everyone else is calling for Labour to trigger a confidence motion.      It wouldn't win but it should still be done anyway to show them up.     

Darn tootin.

If corbyn had any feckin balls he would- only he has no particular Brexit position either and is merely wallowing in her discomfort.

Were a GE be called and he won, he would find himself in the exact same postion- a divided party, an infirm personal conviction, and an obstreperous EU to deal with , and a divided electorate

I'm beginning to wonder if Labour are playing the really long game here...............or Corbyn doesn't know what to do and will allow May to survive through his own dithering.......probably the latter .

Slight of hand! 

The EU and The UK (who are they by the way) negotiated an unwinnable deal to present the parliament. In the background the Remainers engineered that any deal is a no deal no matter what. They hope now for a “people’s vote” thinking they’ll win it. I couldn’t predict the out come of that. If there is a GE then I believe May is unlikely to stand as PM again and Corbyn has no chance of winning it. All in my opinion of course. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Labour are playing the really long game here...............or Corbyn doesn't know what to do and will allow May to survive through his own dithering.......probably the latter .

There used to be a lot of decent politicians on both sides of the house but now they are as useless as each other.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There used to be a lot of decent politicians on both sides of the house but now they are as useless as each other.

Sums it up for me

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

"Listened very carefully"

"Deal would be rejected"

No vote confirmed 

Because of the Backstop 

Was there a sound of breaking glass?

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )