Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

We'll re-state some facts once more, for the hard of thinking.

The Good Friday Agreement makes a hard border on the island of Ireland illegal under international law. The GFA is a UN-registered international peace treaty, guaranteed by the USA.
A Hard Brexit makes a hard border on the island of Ireland a legal requirement, again under international law.

So to balance these two legal requirements out, the hard border runs down the middle of the Irish sea. And that is how it shall be, no matter how much the DUP and swivel-eyed Brexit loons stamp their feet.

Northern Ireland remains as part of the Customs Union with the EU in an attempt to make the land border a soft border. This means that the ECJ has jurisdiction over their trade.

The Northern Ireland Protocol originally slapped customs checks on all goods coming over the hard sea border, whether or not they ever had the EU as their point of origin or their final destination.

This has now been changed to provide a special green lane for foods and medicines being traded between NI and the UK mainland, which will not need customs checks.

Everything else still does.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
21 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Folk in Scotland getting upset at delays at Dover. 🙄

You missed the bit where the French put on the extra staff they agreed to , just to help out yer English pals. Problem was the queues started at 4.00 am and the French weren't that obliging. But,  facts ,tho. 

I'm not getting upset in the slightest, only offering an example of where the French 'might' have been trying to punish the UK.

It's better for all that negotiations seem to be going smoother nowadays 

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not getting upset in the slightest, only offering an example of where the French 'might' have been trying to punish the UK.

Not for our resident economic doom monger experts  it seems 

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Cade said:

We'll re-state some facts once more, for the hard of thinking.

The Good Friday Agreement makes a hard border on the island of Ireland illegal under international law. The GFA is a UN-registered international peace treaty, guaranteed by the USA.
A Hard Brexit makes a hard border on the island of Ireland a legal requirement, again under international law.

So to balance these two legal requirements out, the hard border runs down the middle of the Irish sea. And that is how it shall be, no matter how much the DUP and swivel-eyed Brexit loons stamp their feet.

Northern Ireland remains as part of the Customs Union with the EU in an attempt to make the land border a soft border. This means that the ECJ has jurisdiction over their trade.

The Northern Ireland Protocol originally slapped customs checks on all goods coming over the hard sea border, whether or not they ever had the EU as their point of origin or their final destination.

This has now been changed to provide a special green lane for foods and medicines being traded between NI and the UK mainland, which will not need customs checks.

Everything else still does.

You’ve made it perfectly clear.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’ve made it perfectly clear.

It's a predictably one sided view of the compromises both the UK and EU have each made. The Stormont Brake looks like a particularly interesting factor. Not least as it incentives power sharing at Stormont again.

Why not have a quick read through yourself? Windsor Agreement

Of course there could be something in the fine detail still to come out. But on the face of it, looks pretty positive, no?

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Herr Farage, the DUP and Rees-Mogg are all raging.

:jjyay:

Farage unironically banging on about "unelected EU bureaucrats" and ignoring the fast that Charlie is a wee bit unelected himself.
Ree-Mogg complaining about involving a Monarch in political matters (and ignoring the fact that he personally lied to The Queen and convinced her to illegally prorogue Parliament)

:rofl:

as is he, now he is no longer travelling first class on the gravy train.

2 hours ago, pablo said:

Totally. Sounds like it was a good spirit negotiation with concessions made on both sides to meet in the middle. Always required in any successful negotiation. Hopefully the start of a better relationship between the UK and EU. Which as you say, has to be good for everyone.

Yup thankfully there is an adult at the helm again rather than that man child buffoon and the muppet that followed him.

periodictabledancer
44 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

😂..

You just make stuff up and double down with a mention of the totally irrelevant indy debate so you can have a whinge about something. 

Not "upset" though. 

PS you said "deliberately" not "might". 

Edited by periodictabledancer

Nucky Thompson
29 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

😂..

You just make stuff up and double down with a mention of the totally irrelevant indy debate so you can have a whinge about something. 

Not "upset" though. 

PS you said "deliberately" not "might". 

It's my opinion that the EU were making things difficult for us to make us pay for Brexit and it's your opinion that they were being entirely reasonable.

If Scotland voted to leave the UK, it's reasonable to think that the UK government would try and make it as difficult as possible for us as some sort of punishment.

That's not a whinge about independence 

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's my opinion that the EU were making things difficult for us to make us pay for Brexit and it's your opinion that they were being entirely reasonable.

If Scotland voted to leave the UK, it's reasonable to think that the UK government would try and make it as difficult as possible for us as some sort of punishment.

You Unionists are such a bunch of pessemistic whingers. Talk about glass half empty, ffs.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They damn well would make it as difficult as possible. They entered the EU talks in bad faith as the smaller partner, I certainly would not expect mature, sober behaviour from them when they believe they hold most of the cards.

Personally, if they got uppity, I'd offer to send them their nukes back the quick way 😛

If you have a spare £10 you can ask this obnoxious poisonous dick about brexit apparently ( Jones not me ! 😂

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

“ upset “ seems to be their typical verb of choice by those on this who like to gaslight people . It’s used mainly to invalidate the comments made by those they disagree . It’s rather clever in some ways but fairly transparent now . It’s been over used . 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

4402DF68-154B-4159-BB13-2926C7942AE5.jpeg

Let's say your hypothesis is true.

Are you advocating a rejoin which would demand (a) convergence to monetary union and adoption of the Euro, (b) joining Schengen and fully open borders and (c) no British contribution rebate.

Do you think that would win a rejoin referendum?

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Let's say your hypothesis is true.

Are you advocating a rejoin which would demand (a) convergence to monetary union and adoption of the Euro, (b) joining Schengen and fully open borders and (c) no British contribution rebate.

Do you think that would win a rejoin referendum?

Rejoining wouldn't actually mean the UK would ever have to adopt the Euro though. There's also no reason the UK couldn't negotiate similar arrangements to what we had before, Schengen wise.

c) - we have no idea what the terms might be financially.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Rejoining wouldn't actually mean the UK would ever have to adopt the Euro though. There's also no reason the UK couldn't negotiate similar arrangements to what we had before, Schengen wise.

c) - we have no idea what the terms might be financially.

No, but it does mean adhering to convergence criteria including budget deficits. The UK could happily blow out its budget deficit during the financial crash and Covid with impunity as there was a specific opt out. That has gone and won't come back.

As for the Common Travel Area continuing instead of Schengen, the only way that would happen is if Ireland basically went in to bat on the UK's behalf to maintain it. More likely that Ireland would find itself in Schengen as well.

The key point is that the UK will never rejoin the EU on the same terms and I think those who disparage Brexit forget that.

7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

People really need get over it . Brexit happened . That’s it . Same as Indy 2014 

They don't need to get over it. They can vote for a party who want to rejoin or want Scotland independent in or out of the EU. 

The Tories won in 2010/The SNP won in 2007, no need for general elections and other parties manifestos. 

I'm sure gay marriage and equal rights for women were voted against, so why were they re voted on. 🤔 That's right, democracy doesn't stop for a split second and people like to change their minds. As long as it's not Scotland, and their pesky independence support. 👍 Am I right?  

Oh and while you all moan about Indyref 2, that's nearly 10 years since the first and only referendum in 316 years and you go on like it was yesterday. 

If folk want to fight to rejoin the EU or make Scotland/England/Wales/NI independent, they can, every second of every day, and you can greet all you want. It's their democratic right, just like yours to put bleach on your messages and take a huff with Indy, because you blame NS/The SNP for you embarrassing yourself.

Nucky Thompson
8 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

You Unionists are such a bunch of pessemistic whingers. Talk about glass half empty, ffs.

:sadrobbo:

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

People really need get over it . Brexit happened . That’s it . Same as Indy 2014 

*People" don't need to "get over" anything. Brexit is bad for the economy ,it's bad for jobs, it's bad for growth. But your simplistic answer is to tell "people" we should accept it. 

And it's most definitely not the same as 2014,  in any context. 

Democracy doesn't stand still, no matter what that strand of Scottish "people" think and and ironically  2016 proves that very fact.

YOu do need to get over the fact the SNP has been campaigning for independence for nearly a century and it's not going to stop.

A few people getting themselves in some state of Rishi doing a good thing. A deal and better relations with the EU should be commended all round I’d have though. Oh well back to moaning about something. 😂

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

A few people getting themselves in some state of Rishi doing a good thing. A deal and better relations with the EU should be commended all round I’d have though. Oh well back to moaning about something. 😂

On the face of it Sunak has managed to act like a grown up and sort out what was a clearly untenable situation for everyone concerned. 

However he still has to sell that to the bigots in Belfast and the absolute head bangers in Westminster.

However it is still very much fair game to point out that the current Junta are only in position on the back of getting 'Brexit done' and furthermore why should Northern Ireland get a preferential trade deal with the EU compared to the other constituent parts of the United Kingdom?

The only short term upside for him is that he's spiked Spaffer's guns. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

On the face of it Sunak has managed to act like a grown up and sort out what was a clearly untenable situation for everyone concerned. 

However he still has to sell that to the bigots in Belfast and the absolute head bangers in Westminster.

However it is still very much fair game to point out that the current Junta are only in position on the back of getting 'Brexit done' and furthermore why should Northern Ireland get a preferential trade deal with the EU compared to the other constituent parts of the United Kingdom?

The threat of Terrorism sadly.

Jeffros Furios

The Steve Baker show was doing the rounds on TV last night .

Maybe he should write a book telling us the pain and suffering he's has to endure the last 7 yrs .

Or alternatively he could **** off !! 

SectionDJambo

The complacency around the Good Friday Agreement during the referendum debate, by Leave, Remain and the UK media, was staggering. I’ve found myself wondering how all of these issues weren’t brought to light at the time by anyone. 
A calculation of the percentage of attention given to the Irish border situation during the referendum campaign, which was revealed on Robert Peston’s programme last night, suggested that just 1% of the overall time and discussion was given to it. That presumably includes the DUP.

The rest of the discussion was presumably all about Turkey joining the EU, all that money on the red bus going to the NHS, lower prices, etc., all of which have still not happened.

The Mighty Thor
27 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The Steve Baker show was doing the rounds on TV last night .

Maybe he should write a book telling us the pain and suffering he's has to endure the last 7 yrs .

Or alternatively he could **** off !! 

I saw some of that. 

What an utter Helen Hunt. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Rishi is doing a good job so far with things slowly heading in the right direction. Long way to go and he certainly shoulders his part for the mess but there has to come a point where we move on from mumping about finger pointing about the past. 

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Rishi is doing a good job so far with things slowly heading in the right direction. Long way to go and he certainly shoulders his part for the mess but there has to come a point where we move on from mumping about finger pointing about the past. 

Totally agree.

When these ****s are out of power and criminal charges are being pressed over the numerous financial scandals.

It's like dealing with half witted hibs fans. Never let them forget. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Totally agree.

When these ****s are out of power and criminal charges are being pressed over the numerous financial scandals.

Utopia is just around the corner.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I suppose if nothing else, this was a necessary thawing of relations with the EU.

I just hope the voting public aren’t stupid enough to let the odd thing like this convince them that the Tories aren’t a set of ****ing roasters 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I suppose if nothing else, this was a necessary thawing of relations with the EU.

I just hope the voting public aren’t stupid enough to let the odd thing like this convince them that the Tories aren’t a set of ****ing roasters 

Good post.

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Totally agree.

I think the out of power scenario was a certainty but I’m starting to have doubts. It’s quite scary that Labour are so weak and almost unelectable that the worst government in living history could actually stay in power. 

Probs worth it to see the meltdowns on here though. 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think the out of power scenario was a certainty but I’m starting to have doubts. It’s quite scary that Labour are so weak and almost unelectable that the worst government in living history could actually stay in power. 

Probs worth it to see the meltdowns on here though. 

It's a small win in real terms. 

Labour are really shit though but I still think Keith will squeak a win just not at the levels the polls suggest.

It all depends what the bigots come up with. 

il Duce McTarkin
16 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It all depends what the bigots come up with. 

Bigots have feelings too, Thor. Yet another marginalised minority.

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sunak had to do something or we were headed for a trade war with the EU given the looming NIP reform bill the govt was planning on implementing. 

It's ironic seeing comments repeatedly on here about moving on when in reality it's the very people who brought us Brexit that  haven't been able to move on and insisted on an idealogically pure (,but undeliverable) brexit that has dragged on because they forced this crisis on the country.

Hopefully this now means the end of the erg. 

In terms of Rishi telling the world today, yet again, that you can't have NI looking and feeling different , I had a wee laugh  at that. Where else do citizens of the UK automatically qualify for a passport for a foreign country. 

The Mighty Thor
25 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

In terms of Rishi telling the world today, yet again, that you can't have NI looking and feeling different , I had a wee laugh  at that. Where else do citizens of the UK automatically qualify for a passport for a foreign country. 

I heard him espousing just how good a position Norn Ireland have got with their unfettered access to the EU.

Aye nae bother mate, we all had that until you and your mates fecked it. 😂

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Bigots have feelings too, Thor. Yet another marginalised minority.

Feck them.

Watching them squirm while a Catholic woman calls the shots is absolutely 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47x6zq2bgsxpv49u0nt6

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I love pumping Catholic women. I find them the dirtiest :sweeet:

Me too.

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Feck them.

Broken Britian indeed.

Your attitude towards inclusivity is admirable.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They don't need to get over it. They can vote for a party who want to rejoin or want Scotland independent in or out of the EU. 

The Tories won in 2010/The SNP won in 2007, no need for general elections and other parties manifestos. 

I'm sure gay marriage and equal rights for women were voted against, so why were they re voted on. 🤔 That's right, democracy doesn't stop for a split second and people like to change their minds. As long as it's not Scotland, and their pesky independence support. 👍 Am I right?  

Oh and while you all moan about Indyref 2, that's nearly 10 years since the first and only referendum in 316 years and you go on like it was yesterday. 

If folk want to fight to rejoin the EU or make Scotland/England/Wales/NI independent, they can, every second of every day, and you can greet all you want. It's their democratic right, just like yours to put bleach on your messages and take a huff with Indy, because you blame NS/The SNP for you embarrassing yourself.

oh wind your neck in,. Surprised your still posting with all the poison you spew. Absolute load of codswallop. You want to leave one union to then scrounge of another union. Typical SNP fanatic. Youll be waiting a long time for the next Indy ref. Youve been had and not in a good win so dry your tears and accept reality. 

5 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

*People" don't need to "get over" anything. Brexit is bad for the economy ,it's bad for jobs, it's bad for growth. But your simplistic answer is to tell "people" we should accept it. 

And it's most definitely not the same as 2014,  in any context. 

Democracy doesn't stand still, no matter what that strand of Scottish "people" think and and ironically  2016 proves that very fact.

YOu do need to get over the fact the SNP has been campaigning for independence for nearly a century and it's not going to stop.

and by the looks of it be campaigning for another 100 years. 

5 hours ago, Dazo said:

Yep they want Britain to fail. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Totally agree.

totally agree its only a few weeks until she goes and then investigations in the missing 600 grand can be fully instigated.  Oh sorry you meant the Toaries ? 

40 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I love Catholic women. I find them the dirtiest :sweeet:

and catholic men. 

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Broken Britian indeed.

Your attitude towards inclusivity is admirable.

I'm very inclusive. My starting point is people are ****s. I then work back from there. 

Hasn't failed me yet. 

8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, but it does mean adhering to convergence criteria including budget deficits. The UK could happily blow out its budget deficit during the financial crash and Covid with impunity as there was a specific opt out. That has gone and won't come back.

As for the Common Travel Area continuing instead of Schengen, the only way that would happen is if Ireland basically went in to bat on the UK's behalf to maintain it. More likely that Ireland would find itself in Schengen as well.

The key point is that the UK will never rejoin the EU on the same terms and I think those who disparage Brexit forget that.

It doesn't need to be in the same terms to be a hell of a lot better than where we are now 

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I wouldn't know James, you'll have to ask Dirk 

Animal, mineral, vegetable.

image.png.4bf8eeb479356435c7525866cce86f31.png

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

its ok it was a  rhetorical question :) 

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hes very placid today after throwing shade all over the place yesterday. Maybe the drugs have kicked in. :)