• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reality beginning to bight home.

The Labour and Liberal Democrat silence over Brexit will cost the country

We need to repair the damage done to UK-EU relations, writes Vince Cable, so where are the Remainer political parties?

In the middle of the cost-of-living crisis, people, understandably, have other things on their minds than Brexit. But it is worth remembering that this crisis primarily derives from a European energy shock caused by restricted Russian gas supplies.

A crucial part of the response is close European cooperation. And if Ukraine, with our help, can repel the Russian invasion, its declared ambition as a free sovereign nation is to join the EU. But our government is paralysed because of a seemingly endless Tory leadership contest decided by an unrepresentative group of Brexiters.

Outside that goldfish bowl, opinion is shifting. An Opinium survey showed that 60 per cent of voters (including 40 per cent of Leave voters) think Brexit has “gone badly”. Ipsos found, in June, that 45 per cent of those surveyed (including 22 per cent of Leave voters) felt that Brexit had “made life worse”. Support for Brexit is collapsing, but its core support remains.

Evidence of Brexit’s economic damage is growing. The economy is measurably smaller than it otherwise would be. Investment, hit by Brexit uncertainty, still hasn’t recovered. Trade is down. Sectors badly hit by Brexit-induced labour shortages are still struggling. Alternative visa arrangements are not in place. And inflation is worse than it should be. After a global pandemic and escalating gas prices, Brexit is making a bad situation worse. And there’s more to come:

The government has managed to postpone the introduction of checks on food imports from the EU three times.

British science faces exclusion from the EU’s valuable, collaborative, Horizon science programme.

The government is committed to legislation nullifying the negotiated Northern Ireland protocol.

READ MORE

Brexit will keep wages down and make UK poorer, study finds

A worst-case scenario could lead to a trade war with our European neighbours. Strangely, the Remainer political parties have been largely silent. They may have concluded that they need the support of soft-Brexiteers to achieve a breakthrough in the northern Red Wall and the southwestern section of the Blue Wall. But there is a price to be paid for this silence.

The next few years will consist of endless battles forced by hard-line Brexiters. Their mission is to pull us even further away from the EU and make exiting the single market irreversible. We cannot be silent in response to this.

There are 2,400 EU laws still in place in the UK, mostly uncontroversial and beneficial to us all. But the anti-European fanatics are now dedicating their political lives to scrapping them, regardless of the costs involved. The more significant task is to repair the damage already done to our relations with the EU. The Liberal Democrats have set out a staged process to rebuild trade and cooperation with Europe, and Labour has set out a five-point plan to restore trust and goodwill. Neither is contemplating re-joining the EU in the foreseeable future and re-joining the single market, and customs union is not yet on the agenda.

There is a vast amount to do for those who truly care about rebuilding relationships with Europe. As part of the mission, I have taken on the role of vice president of the European Movement, and I am urging others to work with us. We have our work cut out: a new prime minister, an election less than two years away and a mammoth presence planned for party conference season. But things are changing; opinions are shifting.

We can win the battle for the soul of our country.

Sir Vince Cable is vice president of the European Movement. He was secretary of state for Business, Innovation and Skills from 2010-2015 during the coalition government, and leader of the Liberal Democrats from 2017-201

Eurostar to axe direct Disneyland Paris trains, partly blaming Brexit

Exclusive: ‘This appears to be another example of the fallout from leaving the EU for travelling Brits’ – Julia Lo Bue-Said, CEO, Advantage Travel Partnership

The latest travel casualty of Brexit is the direct “Disneyland Express” from the UK to the Magic Kingdom, east of Paris.

For the past 26 years – with a brief interruption for Covid – Eurostar has been running high-speed trains from London to Disneyland Paris.

The service is extremely popular with British families. It takes less than two-and-a-half hours from St Pancras International to Marne-la-Vallée, the station outside Disneyland Paris.

But the Channel Tunnel train operator will abandon the route from 6 June 2023. Eurostar blames difficult economic circumstances plus the logistical implications of Brexit and said it was concentrating on the core cities it serves in France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

In 2023 more complex rules are due to come in for visitors to the European Union. The new Entry Exit System (EES) involves a new database for registering travellers from outside the EU and Schengen area as they arrive and depart.

READ MORE

15 of your top travel questions answered by Simon Calder

Air travel was a mess this summer. Can airlines shape up in time for the holiday rush?

Flight cancellations and post-Brexit delays mar bank holiday homecoming

The UK government negotiated for British passport holders to become subject to EES after leaving the EU.

A Eurostar spokesperson said: “Whilst we continue to recover financially from the pandemic and monitor developments in the proposed EU Entry Exit System, we need to focus on our core routes.”

Julia Lo Bue-Said, chief executive of the Advantage Travel Partnership, said: “This is such disappointing news. I have used the service many times over the years with my own children, as have many millions of British families.

“However, this appears to be another example of the fallout from Brexit for travelling Brits, and possibly the pandemic, but I remain hopeful that given the UK is a key source market to Disneyland Paris some pragmatic thinking and practical solutions will prevail.”

Ben Bradshaw, the former Labour cabinet minister who is a member of the Transport Select Committee, said: “The enormous costs and inconveniences of the Tories’ Brexit deal are clearer by the day.

“Yet both of the contenders for prime minister are in complete denial, thrashing around blaming foreigners rather than facing the reality of the deal they voted for.”

A government spokesperson said: “The Entry and Exit System will help to protect and strengthen the security of our borders by registering the entry, exit and any refused entries of third-country citizens crossing into Europe.

“We are working closely with port authorities, operators and the French government to make sure passengers are prepared and do not experience unnecessary delays at the border due to new entry and exit system checks being introduced next year.”

READ MORE

Brexit will keep wages down and make UK poorer, study finds

Last week, Eurostar blamed the same factors – the post-Covid economic environment and additional post-Brexit checks – for its decision not to serve either of its stations in Kent until 2025 at the earliest.

Passengers from London will be able to travel by rail to Disneyland Paris with a change of train at Lille.

Edited by Imaman

If you let yourselves be beguiled into a rejoin campaign you're gonna miss the point.

The problem isn't Brexit; the problem is the failed Brexit deal out in place by the Conservatives, and their insistence on using "Europe" as an issue to galvanise their more headbanging supporters.

Norway has very close trading links and freedom of movement with the EU.  So does Switzerland.  Both countries seem to be quite capable of managing trade policies that are independent while remaining sufficiently aligned with their biggest trading partner.  There's no good reason why the UK couldn't do likewise.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

If you let yourselves be beguiled into a rejoin campaign you're gonna miss the point.

The problem isn't Brexit; the problem is the failed Brexit deal out in place by the Conservatives, and their insistence on using "Europe" as an issue to galvanise their more headbanging supporters.

Norway has very close trading links and freedom of movement with the EU.  So does Switzerland.  Both countries seem to be quite capable of managing trade policies that are independent while remaining sufficiently aligned with their biggest trading partner.  There's no good reason why the UK couldn't do likewise.

Sounds like a good deal for an independent Scotland. I'm sure Norway and Sweden still trade and run their borders in a very organised fashion.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The wool needs lifted from many eyes, but being in the EU was good and I liked it.

I spent a decade off tory island, I was able to travel and work across Europe - brilliant. I'd go to Greece on holiday from Holland and wouldn't have to go through customs or change money - superb. I could order stuff from amazon.de without worrying about import charges, post Christmas presents back without similar, and move freely without my mobile network ripping the ****.

Plus, EU workers were free to come to the UK, we're missing their presence today.

ONLY pushing to rejoin the EU would be folly though of course, the British population needs to look itself straight in the eye and be honest about what's happened.

But there are too many wankers. Even now they're pointing at the unemployed or the sick rather than examining the personality traits that make them support a party that holds them in utter, utter contempt.

The Tories should be unelectable for a number of terms now, but they'll be back soon.

As I'm fond of reminding people, there have only ever been 6 Labour prime ministers - before Blair and Brown's diet Tory pish there had only been 4 actual Labour PMs.

Dog shit Tory Island.

WorldChampions1902
29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The wool needs lifted from many eyes, but being in the EU was good and I liked it.

I spent a decade off tory island, I was able to travel and work across Europe - brilliant. I'd go to Greece on holiday from Holland and wouldn't have to go through customs or change money - superb. I could order stuff from amazon.de without worrying about import charges, post Christmas presents back without similar, and move freely without my mobile network ripping the ****.

Plus, EU workers were free to come to the UK, we're missing their presence today.

ONLY pushing to rejoin the EU would be folly though of course, the British population needs to look itself straight in the eye and be honest about what's happened.

But there are too many wankers. Even now they're pointing at the unemployed or the sick rather than examining the personality traits that make them support a party that holds them in utter, utter contempt.

The Tories should be unelectable for a number of terms now, but they'll be back soon.

As I'm fond of reminding people, there have only ever been 6 Labour prime ministers - before Blair and Brown's diet Tory pish there had only been 4 actual Labour PMs.

Dog shit Tory Island.

Good post.

I’ve been saying it from day 1. The U.K. is eventually gonna return to the SM and CU, for starters. Not anytime soon I fear, but it will happen. What follows that is anyone’s guess.

Arron Banks his mysterious and illegal donation which funded the misinformation campaigns of left and right-wing groups during the 2016 EU Referendum. They have also failed to pay their £50k ICO fine.

Absent from the BBC's report, but the slump in the value of the pound is going to drive up the price of everything we import, including energy and food, and so worsen the cost of living crisis.

On 01/09/2022 at 13:11, Imaman said:

image.jpeg.2b8283cff5f13865b0f3c2158bb77da0.jpegimage.jpeg.6d8610c44b699dedc07d46e10a24c91c.jpeg

well im just glad I didnt fall for all that baloney and voted to remain. shame others didnt 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

FB_IMG_1662072293458.thumb.jpg.6ebe8de37b14a62d460a7718f1b1d90b.jpg

Brexit ketchup

A full bottle of the wee bit smeggin that comes out the ketchup bottle of you don’t give it a good shake eh🤣

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

A full bottle of the wee bit smeggin that comes out the ketchup bottle of you don’t give it a good shake eh🤣

"All pre-jizz" :laugh2:

The Mighty Thor
30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Did anyone go to the 'festival of Brexit (Unboxed)'?

Just found out it had happened. 

238,000 swivel eyed loons went to the festival of fuddery. 

It cost 120 million quid it cost too. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

238,000 swivel eyed loons went to the festival of fuddery. 

It cost 120 million quid it cost too. 

I make that about £500 per visitor.

Still better value than Mone's NHS deal.

The Mighty Thor
33 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Is any of this still going on? Hasn't the world stopped turning?

Doesn't Johnny Foreigner know that the UK is closed for business?

SUPPORT  "Britain Is The People" (FB Pg)

@Britain_People

· Sep 12

So #Brexit is costing the UK £100 billion a year in lost output according to government's own figures. That's 11 years worth of EU membership each single year but with none of the benefits. Jaw dropping figure.

What Liz Truss becoming prime minister might mean for Brexit

An interesting aspect of current rhetoric from the British right is that they say on one hand that Brexit is “done” (and in fact, still congratulate Boris Johnson for having got it “done” when he was PM), while on the other, asking what Truss will do in this area, suggesting that perhaps it is not “done” after all. 

On top of all of the other things the incoming PM has to worry about, there is also the pressure from within her party to “get tough” with the EU on the subject of the NI Protocol. The fantasy here is that the EU have somehow violated the Withdrawal Agreement over the last couple of years, in spirit at the very least, and the UK needs to respond in some way in order to sort out perceived weaknesses in the agreement that led to this situation. It’s a strange argument that has a massive paradox at its centre - if the agreement is flawed and now needs to be amended, that’s surely the fault of those on the UK side who negotiated and agreed it, namely Boris Johnson and Lord Frost first and foremost? But no, the paradoxes in this line of thinking are wished away, as all contradictions within religious dogma inevitably are.

Thanks for reading This week in Brexitland! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.

What will Liz Truss do on Brexit? What’s interesting so far is how many of her hardline stances she’s now being relatively flexible on. The two examples I would draw on is the energy price cap - although, I think she always had to do something here, political reality demanded it - and the pulling of Raab’s bill of rights. Although with that last one, it could have just been a personal vendetta against Raab, or she could also have something even worse in mind. Nevertheless, one can’t discount the idea that she might be more reasonable now that she’s in Number 10 just yet.

Having said that, Brexit is the area where it is most difficult to see her bending. Like May, she always has to prove she’s down with the cause given her support for Remain in 2016. It looks very much like she is going to be required to enter into a self-defeating battle with the EU over the Protocol, one that can only ever have a negative effect on the UK, if indeed any effect whatsoever is “achieved”. 

The EU have made things worse for her in a sense this week by laying out a perfectly reasonable plan to minimise checks of goods flowing between GB and NI. Yet it won’t be enough for the ERG or the DUP. Of course, nothing ever would be good enough for these two groups of people. I hold out what is almost certainly a false ray of hope that a leader of the Conservative party might figure this out someday. 

In conclusion, maybe there is a sliver of optimism that Liz Truss drops the Brexit extremism now that she’s prime minister. But it’s a notably tiny one and if I had to lay a bet on this, I know which way I’d go. The Brexit wars are almost certainly about to get worse before they get better.

2. Brexit red tape lowers the number of British business exporting to the EU by a third

There was an interesting article in City AM this week, stating that the number of businesses exporting goods to the EU fell from 27,321 in 2020 (when we were still in the single market, remember) to 18,357 in 2021. That’s a drop of about a third, which is massive. 

I have three things to say about this.

One is that this drop is entirely intuitive. It would be odd if something like this hadn’t happened. If you put trade barriers up, trade will diminish as a result. Brexiters would do well to stop living in denial about this and dedicate themselves to figuring out how exactly they are going to find enough trade across the world to make up for being outside the single market.

Two, a lot is claimed by both sides of the Brexit debate about how much British businesses exporting to the EU has either fallen or even risen since we left the EU in terms of overall GBP amount. We’ve had Covid in there, which has massively complicated matters and allowed for cherry picking of data. One thing is clear, however (and this figure of a third of businesses that once exported to the EU and post-Brexit don’t bother is a good illustration of this point): Brexit has been bad for small businesses. Very bad. Unless all the trade you did as a small business was non-traded (ie, domestic sales only) - if a part of your business relied on exporting to the EU, you will have suffered. This makes intuitive sense as well: big businesses are equipped to get round and deal with trade barriers, while smaller businesses rely on there not being a lot of hassle involved, because their margins are tighter, because they can’t afford compliance departments. 

Three, the loss of trade for small businesses in Britain is a big deal and possibly the biggest immediate impact from Brexit that we need to talk about as a country. This government wants to focus on growth - fine, but simply lowering taxes is not going to cut it. If small businesses shrink or go out of business at an alarming rate, you are going to find growth tricky, to put it mildly. That’s so basic, even saying it feels a little silly. Like so much to do with Brexit, I always want to ask this basic question: you got your Brexit, you have your sovereignty, so as a first order of business how are you going to use that to at the very least correct the problems caused by leaving the European Union? I think small business owners across Britain, more than most, would like an answer.

3. Switzerland and its relationship with the EU

I was supposed to go to Switzerland last week, briefly, but for various reasons that didn’t happen. I was going to talk last week about how in travelling between Switzerland and France, as I was meant to, there was no need to get my passport stamped as Switzerland is a Schengen country, which you wouldn’t know from a lot of pro-Brexit rhetoric. However, two things happened: my flight was cancelled and the Queen of England passed away, both of which put the scupper on that angle.

However, I still think we need to talk about Switzerland. Both before the referendum in 2016 and since, we’ve heard a lot of guff about how Switzerland flourishes outside of the EU, so why can’t we? In fact, I remember an article in a right of centre outlet during the first half of 2016 which had as its thesis, “I went to Switzerland and it was nice, therefore, Brexit is a great idea”. What these sorts of pieces never seem to tell you is, 1). Switzerland has freedom of movement and in fact, has relatively open borders with the EU (there is a customs barrier because Switzerland is outside of the customs union) and 2). Switzerland has a comprehensive deal with the EU that essentially places them inside of the single market with a few caveats.

This is all important to keep in mind given Brexiters love to hold up Switzerland as the ideal of a European country outside of the EU but still thriving - and yet they balk at freedom of movement, the very idea of a country taking the time necessary to get a decent trade deal with the EU, and certainly hate the idea of being inside the Schengen area. All of these are crucial to how Switzerland’s relationship with the EU works and indeed, why the Swiss can thrive. 

If you wanted to make Britain more like Switzerland in terms of EU relations, I think that would be a marvellous thing. Joining Schengen, renegotiating the trade deal so that we are basically in the single market again and bringing back freedom of movement all sound like great ideas to me. But if they don’t sound like good ideas to the Brexiters out there, I’d kindly ask them to stop talking about the “Swiss model” as if it’s something they would ever countenance. 

Thanks for reading. If you haven’t subscribed, please do, and I’ll be back next week again with the worst of Brexit.

https://nicktyrone.substack.com/p/this-week-in-brexitland-september-49c

3 hours ago, Imaman said:

What Liz Truss becoming prime minister might mean for Brexit

An interesting aspect of current rhetoric from the British right is that they say on one hand that Brexit is “done” (and in fact, still congratulate Boris Johnson for having got it “done” when he was PM), while on the other, asking what Truss will do in this area, suggesting that perhaps it is not “done” after all. 

On top of all of the other things the incoming PM has to worry about, there is also the pressure from within her party to “get tough” with the EU on the subject of the NI Protocol. The fantasy here is that the EU have somehow violated the Withdrawal Agreement over the last couple of years, in spirit at the very least, and the UK needs to respond in some way in order to sort out perceived weaknesses in the agreement that led to this situation. It’s a strange argument that has a massive paradox at its centre - if the agreement is flawed and now needs to be amended, that’s surely the fault of those on the UK side who negotiated and agreed it, namely Boris Johnson and Lord Frost first and foremost? But no, the paradoxes in this line of thinking are wished away, as all contradictions within religious dogma inevitably are.

Thanks for reading This week in Brexitland! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.

What will Liz Truss do on Brexit? What’s interesting so far is how many of her hardline stances she’s now being relatively flexible on. The two examples I would draw on is the energy price cap - although, I think she always had to do something here, political reality demanded it - and the pulling of Raab’s bill of rights. Although with that last one, it could have just been a personal vendetta against Raab, or she could also have something even worse in mind. Nevertheless, one can’t discount the idea that she might be more reasonable now that she’s in Number 10 just yet.

Having said that, Brexit is the area where it is most difficult to see her bending. Like May, she always has to prove she’s down with the cause given her support for Remain in 2016. It looks very much like she is going to be required to enter into a self-defeating battle with the EU over the Protocol, one that can only ever have a negative effect on the UK, if indeed any effect whatsoever is “achieved”. 

The EU have made things worse for her in a sense this week by laying out a perfectly reasonable plan to minimise checks of goods flowing between GB and NI. Yet it won’t be enough for the ERG or the DUP. Of course, nothing ever would be good enough for these two groups of people. I hold out what is almost certainly a false ray of hope that a leader of the Conservative party might figure this out someday. 

In conclusion, maybe there is a sliver of optimism that Liz Truss drops the Brexit extremism now that she’s prime minister. But it’s a notably tiny one and if I had to lay a bet on this, I know which way I’d go. The Brexit wars are almost certainly about to get worse before they get better.

2. Brexit red tape lowers the number of British business exporting to the EU by a third

There was an interesting article in City AM this week, stating that the number of businesses exporting goods to the EU fell from 27,321 in 2020 (when we were still in the single market, remember) to 18,357 in 2021. That’s a drop of about a third, which is massive. 

I have three things to say about this.

One is that this drop is entirely intuitive. It would be odd if something like this hadn’t happened. If you put trade barriers up, trade will diminish as a result. Brexiters would do well to stop living in denial about this and dedicate themselves to figuring out how exactly they are going to find enough trade across the world to make up for being outside the single market.

Two, a lot is claimed by both sides of the Brexit debate about how much British businesses exporting to the EU has either fallen or even risen since we left the EU in terms of overall GBP amount. We’ve had Covid in there, which has massively complicated matters and allowed for cherry picking of data. One thing is clear, however (and this figure of a third of businesses that once exported to the EU and post-Brexit don’t bother is a good illustration of this point): Brexit has been bad for small businesses. Very bad. Unless all the trade you did as a small business was non-traded (ie, domestic sales only) - if a part of your business relied on exporting to the EU, you will have suffered. This makes intuitive sense as well: big businesses are equipped to get round and deal with trade barriers, while smaller businesses rely on there not being a lot of hassle involved, because their margins are tighter, because they can’t afford compliance departments. 

Three, the loss of trade for small businesses in Britain is a big deal and possibly the biggest immediate impact from Brexit that we need to talk about as a country. This government wants to focus on growth - fine, but simply lowering taxes is not going to cut it. If small businesses shrink or go out of business at an alarming rate, you are going to find growth tricky, to put it mildly. That’s so basic, even saying it feels a little silly. Like so much to do with Brexit, I always want to ask this basic question: you got your Brexit, you have your sovereignty, so as a first order of business how are you going to use that to at the very least correct the problems caused by leaving the European Union? I think small business owners across Britain, more than most, would like an answer.

3. Switzerland and its relationship with the EU

I was supposed to go to Switzerland last week, briefly, but for various reasons that didn’t happen. I was going to talk last week about how in travelling between Switzerland and France, as I was meant to, there was no need to get my passport stamped as Switzerland is a Schengen country, which you wouldn’t know from a lot of pro-Brexit rhetoric. However, two things happened: my flight was cancelled and the Queen of England passed away, both of which put the scupper on that angle.

However, I still think we need to talk about Switzerland. Both before the referendum in 2016 and since, we’ve heard a lot of guff about how Switzerland flourishes outside of the EU, so why can’t we? In fact, I remember an article in a right of centre outlet during the first half of 2016 which had as its thesis, “I went to Switzerland and it was nice, therefore, Brexit is a great idea”. What these sorts of pieces never seem to tell you is, 1). Switzerland has freedom of movement and in fact, has relatively open borders with the EU (there is a customs barrier because Switzerland is outside of the customs union) and 2). Switzerland has a comprehensive deal with the EU that essentially places them inside of the single market with a few caveats.

This is all important to keep in mind given Brexiters love to hold up Switzerland as the ideal of a European country outside of the EU but still thriving - and yet they balk at freedom of movement, the very idea of a country taking the time necessary to get a decent trade deal with the EU, and certainly hate the idea of being inside the Schengen area. All of these are crucial to how Switzerland’s relationship with the EU works and indeed, why the Swiss can thrive. 

If you wanted to make Britain more like Switzerland in terms of EU relations, I think that would be a marvellous thing. Joining Schengen, renegotiating the trade deal so that we are basically in the single market again and bringing back freedom of movement all sound like great ideas to me. But if they don’t sound like good ideas to the Brexiters out there, I’d kindly ask them to stop talking about the “Swiss model” as if it’s something they would ever countenance. 

Thanks for reading. If you haven’t subscribed, please do, and I’ll be back next week again with the worst of Brexit.

https://nicktyrone.substack.com/p/this-week-in-brexitland-september-49c

Thats a pretty good article there, thanks for posting it.  👍    The mention of Truss and her reincarnation as a Brexiteer is very pertinent   (she also seems to have abandoned her objection to the monarchy, but thats another story !).      Her sole economic policy seems to have a single purpose - economic growth - and is apparently to be achieved through tax cuts alone  (interestingly she's keeping quiet so far about which taxes she's referring to).       As the article says, growth is  highly unlikely to happen when the Brexit "fall" has been so big in the first place.

Her justification for converting to the Brexit religion is that the doom &  gloom Brexit predictions haven't turned out to be as bad  !!     Laughable stuff, and just depicts her judgement and principles as downright shabby. 

Isn't there now  enough soft-Tory voters whose lives & finances have been negatively impacted as a result of Brexit to inflict a defeat in 2 years time ?

Things haven't turned out as bad because the UK hasn't feckin implemented Brexit yet.

It's being sued by the EU to end the transition period and actually Get Brexit Done.

I wonder why the UK government is refusing to end the transition period? :kirk:

To deflect from that, they're playing football with the Good Friday Agreement and NI Protocol.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Things haven't turned out as bad because the UK hasn't feckin implemented Brexit yet.

It's being sued by the EU to end the transition period and actually Get Brexit Done.

I wonder why the UK government is refusing to end the transition period? :kirk:

To deflect from that, they're playing football with the Good Friday Agreement and NI Protocol.

It would be nice, really refreshing, to see any of the major political proponents of Brexit admit that they fecked up, or at least admit that the landscape they said would emerge with Brexit (whether completed or not) is far from the one that has occurred in reality. But nope, virtually all of them have doubled down. Bunch of self-serving charlatans.

Edited by redjambo

The Mighty Thor
51 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thats a pretty good article there, thanks for posting it.  👍    The mention of Truss and her reincarnation as a Brexiteer is very pertinent   (she also seems to have abandoned her objection to the monarchy, but thats another story !).      Her sole economic policy seems to have a single purpose - economic growth - and is apparently to be achieved through tax cuts alone  (interestingly she's keeping quiet so far about which taxes she's referring to).       As the article says, growth is  highly unlikely to happen when the Brexit "fall" has been so big in the first place.

Her justification for converting to the Brexit religion is that the doom &  gloom Brexit predictions haven't turned out to be as bad  !!     Laughable stuff, and just depicts her judgement and principles as downright shabby. 

Isn't there now  enough soft-Tory voters whose lives & finances have been negatively impacted as a result of Brexit to inflict a defeat in 2 years time ?

Any remote chance of growth has vanished with the pound its lowest since 1985 at $1.14 and the Euro down at €1.14 (down 5 cents this month)

She hasn't got a scooby and she's being led by the nose by the 'economists' who thought Brexit was a wheeze. 

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

All of the carnage will be blamed on an uncooperative,  vengeful EU not playing by the Queensbury Rules.  

That was always going to happen. It's what the current government, and those pulling their strings behind the scenes, do. No surprise to anyone.

Even the EU, at the time of Johnson's "oven ready deal", made it clear that the Withdrawal Agreement had been written in English so that the British couldn't say that they didn't understand it or realise what it meant. They knew that Johnson, and his cronies, were only signing up so that they could tell the gullible of our nation that they got Brexit done. The Northern Ireland Protocol was always going to create a border in the Irish Sea, something that Johnson denied repeatedly.

HartleyLegend3
8 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

I'm not really understanding this? 

Can anyone explain in simple terms? 

It's confirming the N, Ireland has different rules than the rUK. More in-line with Ireland 🇮🇪.  Loyalists are not happy. 

Leaving questions on why Scotland can't have the same.

9 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

I'm not really understanding this? 

Can anyone explain in simple terms? 

Without knowing anything about it, they're probably admitting that Great Britain and Northern Ireland now have separate regulations when it comes to trade with other countries. Something they should have foreseen further up the line.

dobmisterdobster
On 17/09/2022 at 15:11, HartleyLegend3 said:

It's confirming the N, Ireland has different rules than the rUK. More in-line with Ireland 🇮🇪.  Loyalists are not happy. 

Leaving questions on why Scotland can't have the same.

No such EU frontier exists in Scotland so what is the point?

4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

No such EU frontier exists in Scotland so what is the point?

Anaw, boats are running oot noo, anaw. And there's the Chunnel. Doon thro Ingurland and intae France, or across to NI and intae Ireland. It's not hard.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The EU is playing by the rules.  That's actually why the Tories are pissed off.  They genuinely believed that the EU would let them walk out and still treat them as if they were in - that's why the UK keeps postponing the introduction of checks, while the EU spent huge amounts of time and energy introducing the very same checks so as to follow the rules.  

The UK has created the Northern Ireland problem.  The problem is that while there are no trade barriers between NI and the EU, or between NI and GB, there are trade barriers between GB and NI.  The EU offered solutions which would have removed all of those trade barriers, but London said no.  Not Brussels, not Dublin, but London.

The problem is not Brexit, it is the crappy trade deal that the Conservative government insisted on negotiating.

Time for them to stop behaving like the Terrible Twos, running around aimlessly, hurting themselves banging off the furniture, and having a screaming tantrum while hoping that the grown-ups will change their nappies.  Time for them to grow up and implement the deal they negotiated.

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Time for them to grow up and implement the deal they negotiated.

Our economy isn't strong enough to cope with that. 

It would send us into a recession/borderline depression

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

5816972C-8A35-4EC7-BA7E-EEE249C4F84B.jpeg

7493CA62-60AF-4C8C-87B4-8CD2453FE131.jpeg

Good old express eh. The paper for brain cripples. 
The damage the billionaire owned press has done to the uk and continues to do is off the scale. 
Poison. 

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Good old express eh. The paper for brain cripples. 
The damage the billionaire owned press has done to the uk and continues to do is off the scale. 
Poison. 

Lol. Pelosi and the Irish lobby said months ago there will be no trade deal until the NIP iissue is resolved