Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2018/mar/28/11-brexit-promises-leavers-quietly-dropped?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Promise
Brexit will be easy, and have no downsides 

Brexit will be easy, and have no downsides
 There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside
500.jpg
David Davis
10 October 2016
 The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want
140.jpg
Michael Gove
9 April 2016
 Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards
140.jpg
John Redwood
July 17 2016
 The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history
Liam Fox
20 July 2017
400.png
Reality
David Davis now says: ‘Nobody has ever pretended this will be easy. I have always said this negotiation will be tough, complex and at times confrontational’

Promise
Trade talks would take place in parallel with divorce talks 

Trade talks would take place in parallel with divorce talks
 How on earth do you resolve the issue of the border with Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland unless you know what our general borders policy is, what the customs agreement is, what our trade agreement is? It’s wholly illogical … That’ll be the row of the summer
500.jpg
David Davis
14 May 2017
 Most of the EU states are very sympathetic to our view
500.jpg
David Davis
15 May 2017
 We have to establish the ground rules. The first crisis or argument is is going to be over the question of sequencing
David Davis
21 May 2017
400.png
Reality
Davis caved in on the first day of talks on 19 June 2017

Promise
The UK did not need a transition deal and would not be subject to EU rules or budgets during one 

The UK did not need a transition deal and would not be subject to EU rules or budgets during one
 We're not really interested in a transition deal, but we'll consider one to be kind to the EU
500.jpg
David Davis
15 November 2016
 The idea that we’ll do a transitional arrangement where you’re still in, paying money, still with free movement of people – that we’ll do the long-term deal in slow motion … That is plainly not what we’re after
500.jpg
David Davis
15 March 2016
 We made it clear that control of our own borders was one of the elements we wanted in the referendum, and unregulated free movement [during transition] would seem to me not to keep faith with that decision
Liam Fox
30 July 2016
400.png
Reality
The UK will have to abide by all EU rules and regulations including those agreed by members states during the 21-month transition
art123.gif

Promise
The transition serves merely to implement the final trade deal, which would be agreed by Brexit day 

The transition serves merely to implement the final trade deal, which would be agreed by Brexit day
 I believe that we can get a free trade and customs agreement concluded before March 2019
500.jpg
David Davis
18 January 2017
 The point of the implementation period is to put in place the practical changes necessary to move to the future partnership, and for that you need to know what the future partnership is going to be
Theresa May
23 October 2017
400.png
Reality
The transition period will be used to negotiate (as much as possible) of the future relationship, not to implement a relationship that is already agreed
transitionguidelines1.gif

Many EU capitals believe even the 21-month transition period will not be anywhere near long enough to conclude a comprehensive free trade agreement and will have to be extended.

Promise
The transition would be short but open-ended 

The transition would be short but open-ended
 The period’s duration should be determined simply by how long it will take to prepare and implement the new processes and new systems that will underpin the future partnership
govtcrest.png
Government transition paper
21 February 2018
 These considerations point to an implementation period of around two years
Theresa May
22 September 2017
400.png
Reality
The period is fixed at 21 months, with no easy way to extend it

This merely postpones the regulatory cliff edge business is desperate to avoid until December 2020. Even this measure of stability is uncertain, since the transition period could be rescinded if there is not wider agreement this autumn.

Promise
The UK would owe no money to the EU after it left in March 2019 

The UK would owe no money to the EU after it left in March 2019
 The last time we went through line by line and challenged quite a lot of the legal basis of these things, and we'll continue to do that … [Of rumours of a £40bn bill:] They sort of made that up
500.jpg
David Davis
25 September 2017
 Because we will no longer be members of the single market, we will not be required to pay huge sums into the EU budget
500.jpg
Theresa May
17 January 2017
 The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country seem to me to be extortionate and I think that ‘go whistle’ is an entirely appropriate expression
Boris Johnson
11 July 2017
400.png
Reality
UK told EU in November 2017 that it was ready to honour its share of all financial commitments made while it was a member of the bloc, estimated at €40bn to €45bn, through the transition period
art128.gif

It has since become clear payments will continue until about 2064, and indefinitely if the UK wants to continue to be part of EU agencies and programmes.

Promise
A raft of new trade deals would be ready on 29 March 2019 

A raft of new trade deals would be ready on 29 March 2019
 Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU … The new trade agreements will come into force at the point of exit, but they will be fully negotiated
David Davis
14 July 2016
400.png
Reality
Britain has won the right to negotiate deals with third countries during the transition period (not before) but they cannot be implemented until after December 2020
art124.gif

New deals will anyway take a long time to negotiate, especially since few countries are likely to want to sign them until they know the state of the UK’s final relationship with the EU. And while the EU will ask third countries with which it has trade deals to keep Britain in them, there is no certainty they will.

Promise
A high-tech customs solution would make frictionless borders simple 

A high-tech customs solution would make frictionless borders simple
 The UK is currently implementing a new customs declaration service, which will replace the existing HMRC customs system. This is a high-priority project within government and HMRC is on track to deliver by January 2019
govtcrest.png
Department for Exiting the EU
15 August 2017
 I am confident that using the most up-to-date technology, we can get a non-visible border operational along the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland
David Davis
5 September 2017
400.png
Reality
Theresa May now concedes customs arrangements are difficult and will take time to set up

May told the Commons liaison committee on 27 March 2018: "I think it is fair to say that, as we get into the detail and as we look at these arrangements, then what becomes clear is that sometimes the timetables that have originally been set are not the timetables that are necessary when you actually start to look at the detail and when you delve into what it really is that you want to be able to achieve."

Promise
Free movement would come to an end on 29 March 2019; any EU citizens arriving after that date would be subject to a different immigration regime 
  Free movement would come to an end on 29 March 2019; any EU citizens arriving after that date would be subject to a different immigration regime
 It is a simple matter of fact that the four key principles of the European Union include free movement – we won’t be a member of the European Union when we leave
140.jpg
Brandon Lewis
27 July 2017
 Free movement will end in March 2019
500.jpg
Government spokesperson
July 31 2017
 I’m clear that there is a difference between those people who come prior to us leaving and those who will come when they know the UK is no longer a member
Theresa May
1 February 2017
400.png
Reality
Free movement continues, the only difference being a registration system for newcomers
art9.gif

Even May's commitment that arrivals after Brexit day would be treated differently was abandoned in the negotiations. EU citizens arriving in Britain before the end of the transition period will be treated as before.

Promise
There would be no role for the European court of justice in Britain after Brexit day 

There would be no role for the European court of justice in Britain after Brexit day
 The simple truth is we are leaving. We are going to be outside the reach of the European court
500.jpg
David Davis
14 May 2017
 The authority of EU law in this country has ended forever … We are not leaving only to return to the jurisdiction of the ECJ. That’s not going to happen
Theresa May
5 October 2016
400.png
Reality
The ECJ will have full jurisdiction during the transition period and the ECJ interpretation of relevant civil rights laws are likely to hold thereafter
art126a.gif

In addition, the transition agreement makes clear that Britain will be “consulted” but is expected to ensure the “proper implementation and application” of all new draft EU rules and regulations during transition.

Promise
Britain will take back control of its fisheries after Brexit 

Britain will take back control of its fisheries after Brexit
 Leaving the EU means we will take back full control of our territorial waters and for the first time in 50 years will be able to grant fishing access for other countries on our terms
govtcrest.png
Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
3 August 2017
 The UK will regain control over our domestic fisheries management rules and access to our waters
Theresa May
3 March 2017
400.png
Reality
The EU will have continued access to UK fishing waters throughout the transition period and has demanded reciprocal access afterwards too as a condition of any future trade deal
art125.gif

So, Britain has a new prime minister. Liz Truss was elevated to office, like her two Tory predecessors, without most of the voting public even having a say.

It’s a thin mandate for someone facing such a fat pile of problems: energy, inflation, strikes, the NHS, recession, climate. Heating and eating. These are urgent issues for Guardian readers. So every day, we will report on Truss and her team, vetting her administration for competence, fairness and judgement in these matters.

Independent and unafraid of powerful people, the Guardian has an illustrious track record of scrutinising those in office. We have no shareholders and no billionaire owner, just the determination and passion to deliver significant, meaningful journalism, free from commercial or political influence. 

And we publish all this for free, for everyone to read. We do this because we believe in information equality. As a result, tens of millions read our work every month, turning to us in moments of crisis, uncertainty, solidarity and hope. 

To sustain this model, we need people who can afford it to pay for it. So we can keep reporting. And everyone can keep reading the truth about our leaders, our communities, our world.

If there were ever a time to support us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future.

Sorry it is such a big post but I thought it worth posting. Dannie.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Liz Truss says she's prepared to take the difficult decisions to generate economic growth like cutting the cap on bankers bonuses.

On that logic we'll be rejoining the single market and customs union as I have full trust in Truss taking the difficult decisions.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Cade said:

"When a clown enters the Palace, he does not become King. The palace becomes a circus."

Apt. Especially given the recent posts. 

jack D and coke

It benefits no one if she’s murder. 
But you already get the feeling she’s going to be murder. 
It was bizarre seeing Johnson this last few weeks and seeing the ridiculous clown he is now. He had some respect just for being PM but now he looks utterly ridiculous again…how in the **** did he become PM?! 
I suspect Truss will be seen similarly in about a year. 
She’s a balloon. 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It benefits no one if she’s murder. 
But you already get the feeling she’s going to be murder. 
It was bizarre seeing Johnson this last few weeks and seeing the ridiculous clown he is now. He had some respect just for being PM but now he looks utterly ridiculous again…how in the **** did he become PM?! 
I suspect Truss will be seen similarly in about a year. 
She’s a balloon. 

You've got the cultists still pining for 'ar Boris' and now we've got the new deputy PM saying in the commons we've only been in power for two weeks. 😂

Twelve years of economic vandalism and the best they've got is Truss and that creature Coffey giving it we've only been in two weeks. 

It's a mental illness. 

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You've got the cultists still pining for 'ar Boris' and now we've got the new deputy PM saying in the commons we've only been in power for two weeks. 😂

Twelve years of economic vandalism and the best they've got is Truss and that creature Coffey giving it we've only been in two weeks. 

It's a mental illness. 

All Labour need to say is "Where was this Election, 2 weeks ago?"

Mind the magic money tree of labour. Truss has found the nursery. 

And people on UC must take any job offered to them. Even in a different region.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All Labour need to say is "Where was this Election, 2 weeks ago?"

What is this I’m seeing on twitter this morning about some Labour expose? Not sure what channel but seeing people suggesting Starmer should go. 
Anti semitism again apparently. 
Anyone who thinks Labour are the answer is a bit of a thicko. Even if they get in they’re seeing through the same stuff. 
If we have any spine we’ll get out. 
I imagine we don’t have the spine though so we just have to suck all this up. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What is this I’m seeing on twitter this morning about some Labour expose? Not sure what channel but seeing people suggesting Starmer should go. 
Anyone who thinks Labour are the answer is a bit of a thicko. Even if they get in they’re seeing through the same stuff. 

I'd rather the SNP and Alba Mps withdrew from WM and let them get on with it. While we leave.

manaliveits105
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Angie been at it again ?

jack D and coke
41 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Angie been at it again ?

It’s a strange curiosity where she’s concerned. I can’t work out if I think she’s alright or not…

Would I? Like an Alsatian at a big bowl of stovies. 

Edited by jack D and coke

periodictabledancer
16 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Time to move on we are where we are comrades 

Except we're  not where we were  promised the country we would be. Far from it, and six years later. 

The country has moved on but brexit still isn't "done". 

It's just some of the country (the 52% bit, I'd guess )  doesn't want to be reminded what a catastrophic failure it is. 

On 22/09/2022 at 07:37, The Mighty Thor said:

Our economy isn't strong enough to cope with that. 

It would send us into a recession/borderline depression

Maybe, though I actually think the damage would be over the longer term rather than an immediate recession.  But who knows?

One way or the other, it's time for the UK to act its age and implement what it has agreed.

52 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe NI will go before Scotland.

Sinn Fein the largest party

An economic border down the Irish sea

And now confirmation that they are now and always going to be a minority in a statelet gerrymandered into existence to ensure them a permanent majority

If and when Scotland leaves the UK expect mass suicides in Luyal Ulstuur

5 minutes ago, Slopes said:

Sinn Fein the largest party

An economic border down the Irish sea

And now confirmation that they are now and always going to be a minority in a statelet gerrymandered into existence to ensure them a permanent majority

If and when Scotland leaves the UK expect mass suicides in Luyal Ulstuur

Probably just come hame.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Maybe, though I actually think the damage would be over the longer term rather than an immediate recession.  But who knows?

One way or the other, it's time for the UK to act its age and implement what it has agreed.

One man's agreement is another man's terrorist, or something like that. 

It's the elephant in the phone box for the Brexiters. They're going to have to do it at some point and it's going to tear whatever fabric is left on the arse of the UKs troosers clean away. 

The UK is absolutely on its knees economically and its got no friends left to protect it. The speculators are going to go for the jugular. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Is brexit the biggest con job in the world "ever"

George Eustace said in the summer they'd fixed the problem of lack of crop pickers by increasing temp visas - to thirty thousand. It didn't fix the problem and it won't. The bulk of these migrant workers came from Ukraine and they're not retruning in the numbers required because of the war.

For EU workers, they won't come because Patel* won't recognize their ID cards. Since many don't have passports they won't get one just for 6 weeks work in the UK. This isn't going to change.

Another entirely predictable brexit bonus. 

In the meantime EU hgv drivers STILL have better terms than their UK counterparts do in the EU (part of the "golden hello" to entice them in) and we're still toiling with that shortage. 

* She may be gone but the law remains in place. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

WorldChampions1902
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

From the 2 minute mark, JOB absolutely nails the immigration issue and what he has been predicting (as did many other), is about to come to pass. When he says, “I haven’t met a racist who wasn’t for Brexit”, that is certainly my experience.

The “brown face” brigade are in for a wake-up call. Project Reality continues.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

From the 2 minute mark, JOB absolutely nails the immigration issue and what he has been predicting (as did many other), is about to come to pass. When he says, “I haven’t met a racist who wasn’t for Brexit”, that is certainly my experience.

The “brown face” brigade are in for a wake-up call. Project Reality continues.

Farage is reportedly greeting his eyes out abut the record levels of immigration under the UKIP/BNP/ENP Junta.

Arseholes like him stopped the immigration of white eastern Europeans and now it's all immigration from the far east and the Indian subcontinent.

That'll be a tough sell to the racists 😂

Ah yes but these funny little brown chaps we're taking in come from The Colonies, so we can pretend that The Mighty And Glorious British Empire is still a thing.

scott herbertson
33 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ah yes but these funny little brown chaps we're taking in come from The Colonies, so we can pretend that The Mighty And Glorious British Empire is still a thing.

especially if they are just on visas and therefore have fewer rights than a fully 'paid up' UK citizen

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

especially if they are just on visas and therefore have fewer rights than a fully 'paid up' UK citizen

Ah yes the latest wheeze, the sponsored work visa. It's a slightly more official version of handing your dough to the captain of one of the Calais dinghies. 

Yes, a third of UK exporters to the EU really have given up over Brexit 

Red tape continues to frustrate small businesses as the hunt for the sunlit uplands goes on 

SUNA ERDEM

A London taxi driver waves a Union Jack flag in Westminster after the Brexit vote. Photo: PA.

Last week, as the country was still focused on the death of the Queen, news reporting seemed to stand still. But news remained, it just slipped out unnoticed.

This will have been a boon for Brexiteers, because Project Fear is the gift that keeps on giving. The latest prediction the “doomsters” got right about a hard Brexit was that it would harm UK trade. And in the midst of the mourning period, a slew of reports appeared, pointing out that 33% of British exporters had given up the ghost and stopped exporting to the European Union – yet another consequence of the bombastic and thoughtless way the rupture with the EU was done.

According to HMRC data, the number of UK businesses exporting goods to the EU fell to 18,357 in 2021 – the first year after the Brexit transition period ended – from 27,321 in 2020.

The main reason is red tape, Michelle Dale, senior manager at accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young, told me. “Basically, pre Brexit, goods used to move freely between the UK and the EU. That’s obviously stopped. Now there are export barriers and import barriers, exporter declarations, importer formalities, import VAT, which is reclaimable but needs to be applied for. It’s all had a massive impact on these companies’ sales. There has been a significant drop.”

The figures are not to be confused with the value of exports, which also suffered but has its own trajectory – for instance, the UK’s export figures for this year will include the positive effect of trade with Ukraine to replace weapons and other goods related to Russia’s invasion.

What Dale is describing is the growing number of UK companies’ reluctance or inability to export – something that was a feature of pre-EU times. A former head of the British Fashion Council told me that, try as they might, they struggled to persuade brands to export in the years before the UK joined the European Economic Community in 1973 because they felt the paperwork and bureaucracy made it not worth the bother. This changed after accession, when Europe effectively became a “home” market for the UK. Now it is another world away.

As Adam Posen and Lucas Rengifo-Keller put it in, The Economics of Brexit: What Have We Learned?, a new e-book, produced by VoxEU/Centre for Economic Policy Research and UK in a Changing Europe, “Brexit means that the UK has declared a trade war on itself”.

Today, there may be no tariffs on goods moving between the UK and the EU, but the problem is about “non-tariff barriers”. The extra bureaucracy — which also causes expensive delays in deliveries as goods and paperwork are checked — is too much for many small businesses, which do not have the staff to do the extra work. These smaller businesses also struggle to afford the advice that might have helped them streamline the process or find workarounds to make things easier, such as registering their business in the Netherlands, although that can also be complex and expensive.

For customers in the EU, the change is sometimes just too onerous. “They don’t want the hassle,” Dale said. “They’re looking for alternative suppliers in the EU. We have clients who are nowhere near back to where they were before Brexit.”

Adding to the misery of EU exports was the acknowledgement by Liz Truss that a trade deal with the United States was years away. That will be a blow to the Sunlit Uplanders, including Lord Digby Jones and the Express, who have long maintained it was all but signed and sealed, although no surprise to “gloomsters”.

“This is quite an admission from Truss. Trying to manage expectations. So-called ‘global Britain’ is going backwards in terms of trade. No immediate deal with the USA, and more barriers erected with the closest market in the EU,” said Stephen Farry, deputy leader of the Alliance Party in Northern Ireland.

In some ways, it is just as well, since a US trade deal would inevitably involve concessions on safety and animal welfare standards, perhaps also on the NHS, under any prime minister. Past experience suggests that Truss, who has presented selling out British farmers for an Australian trade deal as a triumph, isn’t someone who would be squeamish in the face of US demands if it meant she could brag about the deal afterwards.

The figures showing the fall in exporter numbers was blamed by HMRC on changes to the way it collects data and disputed the analysis. “Comparing year-on-year data can lead to misinterpretation and factual inaccuracies, which we believe is the case here,” ,” an HMRC spokesman told CityAM, according to an article published last week.. “In this case not only has our caution been disregarded, but the analysis only takes into account a very small subsection of overarching trade data.”

The data collection change might have some bearing, but government offices have also made a habit of parlaying away bad Brexit news, of which there has been a great deal. It’s not just a matter of Remainer spin, back in April, the then chancellor, Rishi Sunak, acknowledged that Britain’s poor performance in trade compared with its G7 rivals “might well be” due to Brexit. “It was always inevitable, if you change the exact nature of your trading relationship with the EU, that was always going to have an impact on trade flows,” he told the House of Commons Treasury select committee.

The effect of Covid is also there, but the headline issue is Brexit and the seismic change that it has brought to the lives of exporters. And they are not getting enough support from the government to navigate this new landscape.

The drumbeat of bad exporter news is growing. In July, the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) found in a survey of 2,600 exporters that a quarter had suffered a drop in exports, while less than a third saw sales increase in the second quarter of the year – in the first three months, that had been 40%. The BCC pointed out that while UK exports to the EU and the rest of the world had stalled, many other top exporting countries had boomed. 

Eurostat figures showed imports to the EU from the UK falling from €169 billion in 2020 to €146 billion in 2021 – a drop of 13.6%.  This is a 25% drop if you compare 2021 to 2019, the year before Covid hit Europe. Overall UK exports have stalled too, whereas last year French exports grew by 9.2% and Germany, 9.9%.

According to Santander’s UK trade barometer research, 20% of companies surveyed said their exports were still in decline after Brexit, while only a quarter saw a growth in overseas sales. So much for the great leap forward of Global Britain reaching all parts of the world instead of just pesky Europeans. And nearly two years after Brexit took effect, the EU remains the UK’s biggest trading partner, even with these diminished numbers.

It’s going to be tough to increase trade – even the historically low exchange rate for the pound isn’t helping much so far. Contrary to the beliefs that Liz Truss and her partners in crime — including chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng – set out in their mad, libertarian pamphlet called Britannia Unchained, this is not because British business people are simply “lazy”. Even if they do stir themselves to try harder, the barriers to exporting remain, with problems in recruitment, retention of staff and rising transport costs making things worse.

In response to the steadily falling number of exporters, the Institute of Export and International Trade launched a voucher scheme for companies wanting to start or improve exporting.

It’s become a sorry state of affairs, and such news contributes to the shifting public perception of Brexit. As Peter Kellner’s exclusive poll for The New European has found, 60% of voters, including 46% of Leave voters and 41% of those who voted Conservative in 2019, believe that Boris Johnson failed to “get Brexit done”. Buyer’s remorse is on the increase and Brexit is acknowledged to be going badly.

None of this matters to the hardline Brexiters in government, who have been doubling down on their suspect project, determined to ignore every ounce of reality thrown their way. What else could they do, when the career peak they have now reached is entirely built on the shifting, shifty sands of Brexit?

Large post I thought I’d share from behind a paywall 

25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Two faces of brexit youd never tire of taking your hand across. 

5A40F996-D156-4787-9756-6CDD47DFCC1F.jpeg

Actually thought that was a before and after of Tim Martin after finding out he had to close 30 pubs

23 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Look at them, Lion-o's awful, right-wing parents.

Aw, dad, no in front of Cheetara, her dad's an immigrant.

20 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Frankie Boyle and Ann's virginity. :rofl:

She said it's because of her religion and God. And Frankie said, Aye, God made her incredibly ugly. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

“World Leading”…………..by leaving the U.K. 

BREXIT. The gift that keeps on leaving!

5679FEDD-1500-407F-90D5-5712E90CE918.jpeg

Horizon Europe is likely to be sorted in the next 3-4 weeks, along with the NI protocol, if the noises from Dublin, Brussels and London are to be believed.

The Mighty Thor

Grauniad reporting that the National Audit Office are now investigating  Rees Mogg's £120m 'Festival of Brexit' for 'wasting Tax payer's money'

:greggy:

manaliveits105
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Horizon Europe is likely to be sorted in the next 3-4 weeks, along with the NI protocol, if the noises from Dublin, Brussels and London are to be believed.

Good news 

WorldChampions1902
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Not according to the US, who have a massive influence on the outcome, whether we like it or not!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-63201671

And even if a ‘resolution’ is eventually found, the Brexit-induced U.K. brain drain doesn’t evaporate, it merely slows.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Grauniad reporting that the National Audit Office are now investigating  Rees Mogg's £120m 'Festival of Brexit' for 'wasting Tax payer's money'

:jjyay:  Expected visitors: 66 million (no, really). Actual visitors: 240,000.

Is there anything against Brexit, that stops the UK joining the single market? I remember they said no-one is wanting to leave the single mark, during the campaign.

periodictabledancer
28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is there anything against Brexit, that stops the UK joining the single market? I remember they said no-one is wanting to leave the single mark, during the campaign.

No, nothing . Just the mindset of the hardliners who wanted a complete & total break. 

5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

No, nothing . Just the mindset of the hardliners who wanted a complete & total break. 

👍

Mr Brightside
35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Technically no, however I think being part of the single market meant allowing freedom of movement. The control of borders was one of the main reasons people voted for Brexit (I didn’t).

7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

:cornette: Wait, there was a "festival"? Was there?? Really???

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

:cornette: Wait, there was a "festival"? Was there?? Really???

To paraphrase the 60s

If you can remember the Festival of Brexit you weren't really there man 😂

2 minutes ago, RobboM said:

To paraphrase the 60s

If you can remember the Festival of Brexit you weren't really there man 😂

:lol: Must have been AWESOME!!!