• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Some of the above beggars belief

The implication that one vote at one time ties you forever is just so stupid

Governments are voted in and out of power on  a regular basis  …...this country was sold a pup by vested interests, blundering buffoons who think only of themselves and not the country, with many voters of an older generation who had fond memories but little common sense when it came to thinking of the future and that of their children

Many will have passed on now and though that is sad we need to fight this terrible legacy they have left behind for others to clear up

To those who voted to leave imagine standing beside Boris , Rees-Mogg, the non domiciles, the little Englanders and those who lied to the country..where is that £350 million by the way ?

That's the company you keep and you are hurting this country now and in the future

This country voted for a lie and now that lie has been exposed its time for new vote

Britain voted to leave the EU, and that is what should happen.

People can argue all day about the withdrawal agreement, and about what the long-term relationship between the UK and the EU should be after the transition period ends, but they can't argue about the fact of the UK's withdrawal.

You can argue that the country voted for a lie.  I'm more inclined to say the country voted for an inaccurate sense of the interdependence between the UK and the EU.  The UK talked us down, and bigged yourselves up.  There are now 585 painstakingly negotiated pages of text that show as clearly as can be shown that the British political system and British voters miscalculated.

Should there be political recriminations for that?  Possibly, but if there are they should be in your political system, not in ours, and they should happen in a Britain that is outside the Union, not in it.  One of the most sensible things we did on our side was to make the EU negotiating team take most of the strain for us - aside from Ireland, Brexit hasn't really rattled cages, ruffled feathers or strained the political and administrative systems in EU countries.

Britain's vote wasn't wrong, it was just based on a miscalculated view of its relationship with the rest of the EU.  All either side could do after that was hold as best they could to their principles and try to negotiate a damage-limiting deal.

This agreement only covers the withdrawal, and with the exception of the NI Protocol only covers us all until the end of 2020.

And if you think getting to this point was both arduous and tedious, imagine what it will be like trying to negotiate the long-term relationship.  The British political system has more to worry about - a lot more - besides the UK's relationship with the EU.  You need to get your government focused on normal politics, especially domestic political issues, and the sooner you do that the better.

24 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

People can argue all day about the withdrawal agreement, and about what the long-term relationship between the UK and the EU should be after the transition period ends, but they can't argue about the fact of the UK's withdrawal.

You can argue that the country voted for a lie.  I'm more inclined to say the country voted for an inaccurate sense of the interdependence between the UK and the EU.  The UK talked us down, and bigged yourselves up.  There are now 585 painstakingly negotiated pages of text that show as clearly as can be shown that the British political system and British voters miscalculated.

Should there be political recriminations for that?  Possibly, but if there are they should be in your political system, not in ours, and they should happen in a Britain that is outside the Union, not in it.  One of the most sensible things we did on our side was to make the EU negotiating team take most of the strain for us - aside from Ireland, Brexit hasn't really rattled cages, ruffled feathers or strained the political and administrative systems in EU countries.

Britain's vote wasn't wrong, it was just based on a miscalculated view of its relationship with the rest of the EU.  All either side could do after that was hold as best they could to their principles and try to negotiate a damage-limiting deal.

This agreement only covers the withdrawal, and with the exception of the NI Protocol only covers us all until the end of 2020.

And if you think getting to this point was both arduous and tedious, imagine what it will be like trying to negotiate the long-term relationship.  The British political system has more to worry about - a lot more - besides the UK's relationship with the EU.  You need to get your government focused on normal politics, especially domestic political issues, and the sooner you do that the better.

No one defined what Brexit would mean in any shape or form. It was sold as a  cure for mass immigration , "taking back control" and doing "our own trade deals" - as if most of the electorate had the faintest idea what a trade deal even delivered. 

So now that Brexiters have been told in the plainest terms that this is all that's on offer we should all be voting on that. It's sheer pomposity and beligerence that is stopping this - it does not undermine democracy and to have a second referendum (as a remainer) , while I didn't like the first referendum outcome i will have no complaints if the majority vote is to either take the only deal in town or go for economic suicide. Because this time people cannot say they didn't know what they were actually voting for.And what people didn't vote for was to be worse off - this was never explained ie we could not possibly have the same deal when we quit the EU as there would be a price to pay.  If May's deal isn't what they wanted (or thought they wanted) then it's a straight choice - stay in or quit , with all the pain that will bring. 

3 hours ago, jake said:

We should just ban voting and let those with the most money decide.

Or those with the most influence.

Anyway just ban voting as it's a waste of time.

I remember when it was just one nation which wanted to get out another bloc of nations.

Doesn't the fact that it's almost impossible to leave the EU not worry all the joyous on here?

It's not impossible to leave. It's impossible to leave with the exact same goodies you had. 

Just leave and then deal once left, don't try to make the EU out to be the bad one. 

8 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Panel's pretty rubbish though

Claire Perry MP, Stephen Kinnock MP, Liz Saville Roberts MP, Mark Serwotka and Tim Stanley.

Claire Perry is a nasty piece of work. 

7 hours ago, jake said:

No I'm right .

In  America! 

Mathematics. Get it right. 

Edited by ri Alban

29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

In  America! 

This forum is not restricted to members from the UK or those who speak a certain variant of English. So, please, knock it on the head with your language imperialism. "Math" may jar with you, but it doesn't for a sizeable number of English speakers worldwide and is acceptable English. I honestly don't understand why you're getting so uppity about this.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

This forum is not restricted to members from the UK or those who speak a certain variant of English. So, please, knock it on the head with your language imperialism. "Math" may jar with you, but it doesn't for a sizeable number of English speakers worldwide and is acceptable English. I honestly don't understand why you're getting so uppity about this.

Not to mention, mathematics is a singular word (not are), so pluralising (see what I did--and often do--there) its abbreviation is arguably the faux pas.

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

No one defined what Brexit would mean in any shape or form. It was sold as a  cure for mass immigration , "taking back control" and doing "our own trade deals" - as if most of the electorate had the faintest idea what a trade deal even delivered. 

So now that Brexiters have been told in the plainest terms that this is all that's on offer we should all be voting on that. It's sheer pomposity and beligerence that is stopping this - it does not undermine democracy and to have a second referendum (as a remainer) , while I didn't like the first referendum outcome i will have no complaints if the majority vote is to either take the only deal in town or go for economic suicide. Because this time people cannot say they didn't know what they were actually voting for.And what people didn't vote for was to be worse off - this was never explained ie we could not possibly have the same deal when we quit the EU as there would be a price to pay.  If May's deal isn't what they wanted (or thought they wanted) then it's a straight choice - stay in or quit , with all the pain that will bring. 

I would argue that they STILL dont know what they would be voting for even if we did manage a fantastic trade deal with every other country on the planet.

Would the tories erode workers rights over the next few years as an example. I dont think anyone other than a corporations board would vote for that!

scott herbertson
18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I would argue that they STILL dont know what they would be voting for even if we did manage a fantastic trade deal with every other country on the planet.

Would the tories erode workers rights over the next few years as an example. I dont think anyone other than a corporations board would vote for that!

I know a few folk who wold quite happily vote for that, and have been doing so for years

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

In  America! 

Were you not called out on a thread recently for using the term "wanes" to refer to children?

:levein_interesting:

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

Spot on.

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I can see a extension and another referendum on this subject coming.

i don’t think the Tories oust May, I’m not sure enough numbers for it for a variety. of reasons. Many won’t want to face a GE and many won’t want a no deal. 

There was a point made by someone on CH4 news last night that said May is of the opinion that if she wins a vote of no confodence within her party by one vote, that is good enough.  I agree that I doubt the Tory MP's wanting her to go have enough votes to win.  This then leaves the JRM's and his acolytes quite isolated, potentially damaging their "hard brexit" approach?

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I suspect the deal gets rejected but not convingly as many think. May and others will go on the offensive to try and show this is as good as gets whilst delivering on leaving EU, hoping to sway public and therefore MP’s. Ultimately it defeated.

After a defeat we see a bill for extension on us leaving EU. Enough time passes that a referendum becomes acceptable and we face remain, a deal, no deal type scenario.

I suspect remain win by splitting  the leave vote. 

Though predicting anything right now is difficult

Agree with all of the above.

If we assume another referendum, and a remain win, does this lead to a split in the Tory Party?  Interesting times, as they say.

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The Remainers who want to reverse the vote and have been trying to do so assiduously since the outcome of the referendum claim that the electorate was lied to. The biggest and most fundamental lie, if the vote is as a result reversed, is that we were being given a vote on whether or not to leave the EU.

To describe no-deal as "suicide" is a lie,  and  to claim that the May deal is worse than reversing engines and forgetting the whole thing is an opinion not a fact. The deal does for example offer more control of immigration and does over time greatly reduce our payments to the EU, and gets us out of the expensive and wasteful EU Agricultural Policy.

scott herbertson
11 minutes ago, Boris said:

There was a point made by someone on CH4 news last night that said May is of the opinion that if she wins a vote of no confodence within her party by one vote, that is good enough.  I agree that I doubt the Tory MP's wanting her to go have enough votes to win.  This then leaves the JRM's and his acolytes quite isolated, potentially damaging their "hard brexit" approach?

Agree with all of the above.

If we assume another referendum, and a remain win, does this lead to a split in the Tory Party?  Interesting times, as they say.

At some point Farage is going to come riding back in on a union jack bedecked charger to 'rescue us'.

The tories don't do splitting though so it's hard to see how this will pan out.

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Some of the above beggars belief

The implication that one vote at one time ties you forever is just so stupid

Governments are voted in and out of power on  a regular basis  …...this country was sold a pup by vested interests, blundering buffoons who think only of themselves and not the country, with many voters of an older generation who had fond memories but little common sense when it came to thinking of the future and that of their children

Many will have passed on now and though that is sad we need to fight this terrible legacy they have left behind for others to clear up

To those who voted to leave imagine standing beside Boris , Rees-Mogg, the non domiciles, the little Englanders and those who lied to the country..where is that £350 million by the way ?

That's the company you keep and you are hurting this country now and in the future

This country voted for a lie and now that lie has been exposed its time for new vote

This is correct and should be pursued as strongly as possible.      Exceptional circumstances throughout the entire episode absolutely legitimise a further poll.      Rigidly sticking to some notional dogma about an already settled will is obtuse,  short sighted,  backward thinking,  sometimes thoroughly deceitful.

There is no good, credible reason to dictate that a further poll is undemocratic.     None.

27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Were you not called out on a thread recently for using the term "wanes" to refer to children?

It’s ‘weans’ btw. Get it right :D   Still widely used in Northern Ireland and West Central Scotland. But a ‘foreign’ word in the East. I personally find the use of ‘math’ singular irritating but in North America it’s correct English and no doubt those who use it here get it from them.

Anyway, back on topic, what a shambles this whole Brexit malarkey is.

16 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

At some point Farage is going to come riding back in on a union jack bedecked charger to 'rescue us'.

The tories don't do splitting though so it's hard to see how this will pan out.

Yes, I think it won't be long until we see his smarmy dish on the telly again.

Re splits, they have in the past, albeit mid 1800's over the corn laws, and early 20th over tariffs, but I think you are right, in that they won't split massively, but it does leave people like JRM in a difficult position should they lose their coup.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What will be the question in the proposed "People's Vote"?

It would take time and care to determine but it can be achieved.

29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Remainers who want to reverse the vote and have been trying to do so assiduously since the outcome of the referendum claim that the electorate was lied to. The biggest and most fundamental lie, if the vote is as a result reversed, is that we were being given a vote on whether or not to leave the EU.

To describe no-deal as "suicide" is a lie,  and  to claim that the May deal is worse than reversing engines and forgetting the whole thing is an opinion not a fact. The deal does for example offer more control of immigration and does over time greatly reduce our payments to the EU, and gets us out of the expensive and wasteful EU Agricultural Policy.

This whole Brexit thing is a result of Tory infighting for the last 25 years. Those barstewards have made a complete shambles of it, have dragged the whole country into this position with £350Million war buses etc. and now they are too embarrassed to admit as much.

Anyone who pushed for Brexit are either cowering on the back benches or quit their posts in government. I hate to say this but I almost feel sorry for May.

Immigration is not the issue. The issue IMO is racism.

The middle Englander is not bothered about Polish fruit pickers or German University lecturers or Italian restaurant owners or Lithuanians working in McDonalds or French students working in bars or Greek painters. Its Muslims, Africans, Middle Easterns, Pakistanis, Asians etc. and lets be honest, that's got heehaw to do with the EU. It's successive Westminster government (tory and labour) policy on immigration and that could have/should have been sorted out internally years ago.

If the agricultural & fishing policy is that much of an issue I am sure the UK/EU would happily negotiate a better deal if we were to stay (& should have been done before all this shit started).

Everyone who is anyone all say the same, NOBODY gets out of this with a better deal than they have now and NOBODY in the UK gets any wealthier as a result of Brexit. Quite the opposite so I am not sure how you can state that its a lie. We all know who was lying before the Brexit vote and where are they now?

Some cabinet members are still insisting on a cabinet free vote,   yet May says she's pressing on.

Does that not tell her anything?     Cabinet asking for collective responsibility to be suspended.    Can she not learn anything from that?     It's a dead duck and she's wasting parliament's time with it.     Arguably it's an abuse of parliamentary time and resources.

Edited by Victorian

25 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

It’s ‘weans’ btw. Get it right :D   Still widely used in Northern Ireland and West Central Scotland. But a ‘foreign’ word in the East. I personally find the use of ‘math’ singular irritating but in North America it’s correct English and no doubt those who use it here get it from them.

Anyway, back on topic, what a shambles this whole Brexit malarkey is.

Aye.

Sadly I hoped that Brexit would happen but it looks like Theresa May has well and truly shafted the Leave voters.  I can't see how she can continue and I don't think the mess she has caused can be fixed.

I was deeply unhappy that the Tories replaced David Cameron with a remainer after the Leave vote, and it seems she has handicapped any negotiations to the point that she has come up with something that is never getting through parliament.  I also don't think that a No Deal will be allowed either, so it looks like Brexit is dead in the water as there isn't time for a Brexit Tory leader to renegotiate.

I think this was May's plan all along - engineeer a remain solution by stalling the negotiations until its too late.

scott herbertson
23 minutes ago, Boris said:

Yes, I think it won't be long until we see his smarmy dish on the telly again.

Re splits, they have in the past, albeit mid 1800's over the corn laws, and early 20th over tariffs, but I think you are right, in that they won't split massively, but it does leave people like JRM in a difficult position should they lose their coup.

Yes - wouldn't be surprised if the more extreme right wingers had some thoughts about leaving. If UKIP was in it's original Farage state then I could have seen a merger with that. As it is I can't see it and they may even be happy to see Labour take charge for a while to give them time to completely dominate the Conservative Party.

I P Knightley
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I don't even see it that the country voted for a lie. Yes, there were falsified figures on the side of buses and so on but, worse than that was that no one had or shared a picture of what life outside the EU could entail. It left it wide open for people to make up their own versions of what "Brexit" would mean; giving us the appallingly fatuous phrase, "Brexit means Brexit" which was said as though it was, therefore, a done deal. (Reminds me of asking a waiter with a French accent what a 'vanilla bavarois' was. "Eet eez like a normal bavarois, but eet az vanilla.")

With people making up their own versions of Brexit, it was the duty of the Remain campaigners to make it clear that there was no description; to explain that there would be no impact on immigration of the brown people (who a lot of Brexit supporters thought they were voting against); to point out that British sovereignty has never been seriously compromised by being in the EU and the extent to which their jobs are threatened by being outside the union.

The trouble was not the lies, it was the lack of effective opposition to them. Corbyn should be hanging his head in shame and Cameron should be getting his ***** kicked up and down the country for the remainder of his natural days.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Gove not going. Presumably so he can stab her in the front rather than the back.

He's a treacherous little squit; the only think he's interested in is his own path to power.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think this was May's plan all along - engineeer a remain solution by stalling the negotiations until its too late.

You're crediting her with more intelligence and cunning than I think she has. If this has been her play, then I might revise my opinion of her. It's cost the country a fekkin fortune but could be the right outcome.

24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Aye.

Sadly I hoped that Brexit would happen but it looks like Theresa May has well and truly shafted the Leave voters.  I can't see how she can continue and I don't think the mess she has caused can be fixed.

I was deeply unhappy that the Tories replaced David Cameron with a remainer after the Leave vote, and it seems she has handicapped any negotiations to the point that she has come up with something that is never getting through parliament.  I also don't think that a No Deal will be allowed either, so it looks like Brexit is dead in the water as there isn't time for a Brexit Tory leader to renegotiate.

So can you explain how leave voters have been "shafted"? Specifically. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So can you explain how leave voters have been "shafted"? Specifically. 

Because we have a proposed Brexit Withdrawal deal that won't get through parliament and a No Deal solution won't get through either.  Therefore result still means Remain.

If a leadership confidence vote does take place,   the mind boggles regarding the myriad agendas,  strategies and expediencies that will inform the votes of Tory leavers and remainers.    A very complicated calculation and impossible to forecast.      

Edited by Victorian

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Because we have a proposed Brexit Withdrawal deal that won't get through parliament and a No Deal solution won't get through either.  Therefore result still means Remain.

A parliament elected post-brexit referendum.

Bloody will of the people, eh?

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That hasn't happened yet. 

But that is a fair point. I blame the Conservative Government for failing to agree a clear plan. 

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The government could simply decide against renegotiation and revert to no deal.     No withdrawal bill does not automatically lead to no Brexit.     It would need some other mechanism to reach that point.

Just now, Victorian said:

The government could simply decide against renegotiation and revert to no deal.     No withdrawal bill does not automatically lead to no Brexit.     It would need some other mechanism to reach that point.

They could, but I think a general election would be called before a no deal Brexit.

Just now, frankblack said:

They could, but I think a general election would be called before a no deal Brexit.

Yes.   The possibilities arising from that are many.

...a bit disco
24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Leadership confidence vote forecast for Tuesday.    They're giving her the weekend to change direction.    One last ultimatum.  

Tbf, she won back a fair amount of respect for her performance all day yesterday (Commons Statement & presser).

The tide could be turning ever so slightly in her favour.

43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That hasn't happened yet. 

But that is a fair point. I blame the Conservative Government for failing to agree a clear plan. 

"Clear Plan"

Why are people acting with such surprise? What is clear is that the global elites have been are devaluing national identity as something problematic. This entire Brexit scenario has been engineered to fail since day one. The irony is we can’t leave something we didn’t sign up to join. I have said it before, the ‘No Deal’ will prevail, this will inevitably lead to a second referendum, or call it what you will. The gates of hell have been thrown at the Brexit decision, second time around the decision will likely be different. We are not leaving any time soon.

Edited by alfajambo

12 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Tbf, she won back a fair amount of respect for her performance all day yesterday (Commons Statement & presser).

When the actual realities of the agreement are set out it might be harder to oppose. 

I'm still struggling to grasp the actual objections/ alternatives. 

16 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

"Clear Plan"

Why are people acting with such surprise? What is clear is that the global elites have been are devaluing national identity as something problematic. This entire Brexit scenario has been engineered to fail since day one. The irony is we can’t leave something we didn’t sign up to join. I have said it before, the ‘No Deal’ will prevail, this will inevitably lead to a second referendum, or call it what you will. The gates of hell have been thrown at the Brexit decision, second time around the decision will likely be different. We are not leaving any time soon.

EU always had the power in terms of strong negotiating. 

May took the option she thinks is best for business. 

7 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Maybe.    But it's not just leavers who may see ditching May as an expediency.    The remainers might see it as a strategy towards a prize.

...a bit disco
12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

EU always had the power in terms of strong negotiating. 

May took the option she thinks is best for her husbands business. 

FTFY

1 hour ago, Boris said:

A parliament elected post-brexit referendum.

Bloody will of the people, eh?

A parliament elected post-brexit referendum, which only the Lib Dems campaigned to remain in the EU, some 85% of the British electorate voted for a party which didn't have a manifesto pledge to remain in the EU, nor campaigned to remain in the EU, therefore isn't the will of the people being ignored.

28 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

"Clear Plan"

indeed...the person pushing the withdrawal was totally against it, did anyone think she was gonna do it with enthusiasm, seems to have been sabotaging it from the start. will of the people can go **** itself, business/profit come 1st and the protection of the politician....canny have their numbers dropping.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A parliament elected post-brexit referendum, which only the Lib Dems campaigned to remain in the EU, some 85% of the British electorate voted for a party which didn't have a manifesto pledge to remain in the EU, nor campaigned to remain in the EU, therefore isn't the will of the people being ignored.

No one is talking about remaining though, this is about the deal put to Parliament.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Not to mention, mathematics is a singular word (not are), so pluralising (see what I did--and often do--there) its abbreviation is arguably the faux pas.

Tell that to physics, genetics, economics, measles &c. ;)

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )