Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I don’t believe he can Change the election date once he’s declared one. 

Much discussion on this earlier on telly and I think that he could.

1 minute ago, systemx said:

Much discussion on this earlier on telly and I think that he could.

From what I can gather 

Who chooses the date?
The precise day of the election is in the prime minister's hands. 
When Theresa May called an early election in 2017, the motion that MPs voted on simply said: "There shall be an early parliamentary general election".
The important point is that it did not set out a specific date.
While Boris Johnson is expected to call an election for 14 October, some MPs are worried the government could change the date and move the poll to after 31 October - by which point the UK would have left the European Union.
But assuming enough MPs do support an early election, the prime minister would then recommend the date of the poll to the Queen.
Once the date is known, Parliament shuts down - or dissolves - 25 working days before election day. 
At this point politicians stop being MPs and they campaign for re-election, if they choose to stand again.

so from the above once he calls an election and sets a date that’s it. 

The argument that he will will change the date is only valid if he hasn’t called an election yet once he has that’s it set in stone. 

Tories have caused 92 amendments to the bill in the Lords.    Opposition chat about forcing the Lords to sit in a continuous session from Thursday to Monday to get through them.     Non stop.

That should kill off a good few of them.  

Just now, Victorian said:

Tories have caused 92 amendments to the bill in the Lords.    Opposition chat about forcing the Lords to sit in a continuous session from Thursday to Monday to get through them.     Non stop.

No chance most of them sleep through it all anyway.

23 minutes ago, Cade said:

Will Boris REALLY fire 25 of his own MP's, many of whom have been in the party for decades and served as cabinet ministers?

The whip is being removed from the 21 Tory rebels  "The Chief Whip is speaking to those Tory MPs who did not vote with the Govt this evening. They will have the Tory whip removed,” says a Downing Street spokesperson.

That snake fluffy Mundell though :facepalm:.

Said he did not support a “No deal” Brexit. 

Voted 3 times for May’s deal. 

Said he wouldnt work with Boris if he made PM. 

Voted with Boris today. 

Spineless brown nosed little shit!

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Whatever party he decides to stand for, or if he decides to stand as an independent, he'll be voted back in.

Disgusting behaviour by his party though.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Whatever party he decides to stand for, or if he decides to stand as an independent, he'll be voted back in.

Disgusting behaviour by his party though.

Clarke,  Soames,  Grieve and Gauke are all standing down anyway.

4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I don't understand this. 

I've never heard of it before but it seems to be a plan that the SNP will campaign that a vote for it will be a vote for an independence referendum. If they return a majority of MPs in Scotland then they will declare that this shows that there should be a referendum. If the Westminster government refuses the referendum,  then UDI. That's my take anyway.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Clarke,  Soames,  Grieve and Gauke are all standing down anyway.

I didn't know that. Cheers.

Is Johnson's record as PM for winning votes in the HoC even worse than Craig Levein's 2019 league form?

Hint...it IS :lol: 100% lose

dobmisterdobster
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've never heard of it before but it seems to be a plan that the SNP will campaign that a vote for it will be a vote for an independence referendum. If they return a majority of MPs in Scotland then they will declare that this shows that there should be a referendum. If the Westminster government refuses the referendum,  then UDI. That's my take anyway.

A referendum would have to be done through Holyrood. No mechanism in Westminster.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

SNP will make a deal with Labour if they form a coalition after the election. They will quite rightly demand Indy 2 as part of their agreement to be in a coalition. 

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I don't understand him either. Is he speaking Gaelic?

If the UK government doesn't accept a majority of SNP MPs is a mandate for an Indyref2, the SNP will UDI. Plain and simple.

dobmisterdobster
Just now, JamesM48 said:

SNP will make a deal with Labour if they form a coalition after the election. They will quite rightly demand Indy 2 as part of their agreement to be in a coalition. 

It's 2015 all over again. Have Labour given up on defending the union?

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If the UK government doesn't accept a majority of SNP MPs is a mandate for an Indyref2, the SNP will UDI. Plain and simple.

Its a joke. That MP represents the Hebrides and is a Gaelic speaker.

Edited by dobmisterdobster

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Its a joke. That MP is actually the Hebrides MP and a Gaelic speaker.

No joke. And what's that got to do with anything.

38 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

If they want to be closet Lib Dems then they can run on a Lib Dem ticket.

I was referring to Tory remain voters if Boris makes to Tory Party a Pro Brexit 

Party closed shops and sacks remainer MP’s, surely he’d lose votes? 

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

I think the chances of UK Labour+SNP coalition are 0%

I wouldnt  be too sure..Opinion polls can change. 

dobmisterdobster
Just now, ri Alban said:

No joke. And what's that got to do with anything.

I mean I was joking. Sorry.

I know what he was proposing. Chill.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Doubt it. She’s already stated that she wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole.

dobmisterdobster
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I was referring to Tory remain voters if Boris makes to Tory Party a Pro Brexit 

Party closed shops and sacks remainer MP’s, surely he’d lose votes? 

Better to lose a few voters than have an insurrection in your party.

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I mean I was joking. Sorry.

I know what he was proposing. Chill.

Apologies, I usually see these things. Must be losing my sense of humour.

Brighton Jambo
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Wouldn't really matter either way. The jobs done.

Not a good night for you tonight though.  No deal would have seriously strengthened the demand for independence.  That looks like it’s removed.  

If if there is a general election and there was a remain coalition victory that overturned Brexit via referendum the case drops even more.  

If Brexit gets overturned I bet you any money you want the people of Scotland wouldn’t then vote to reopen a whole new can of worms with Scottish independence.  People would just want normality back and the status quo to be preserved for a while.  

dobmisterdobster
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I wouldnt  be too sure..Opinion polls can change. 

Labour wouldn't be able to honour their end of the deal. I.e. have enough seats.

10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Not a good night for you tonight though.  No deal would have seriously strengthened the demand for independence.  That looks like it’s removed.  

If if there is a general election and there was a remain coalition victory that overturned Brexit via referendum the case drops even more.  

If Brexit gets overturned I bet you any money you want the people of Scotland wouldn’t then vote to reopen a whole new can of worms with Scottish independence.  People would just want normality back and the status quo to be preserved for a while.  

EU exit won't be overturned and a majority Tory Government will repeal this, post GE. That's why the SNP should have a UDI on the table. If The Tories can campaign on No deal exit, The SNP can do the same.

Edited by ri Alban

dobmisterdobster
38 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Boris sacks Soames 😮😮😮.

I will miss Soames. Delighted to see the back of the rest of them. Especially Hammond , Clarke and Greening.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

They will force it through Lords. Other tactics in place from other side. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just 2 Labour MPs voted for Governmen

I wonder if they will have the Whip removed by Corbyn?

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

General election if passed, would be Tuesday 15th October now, due to a Jewish holiday on the 14th October. 

exactly 55 years after the 1964 election when Labour won.

How do I know that? Its my 55th birthday

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

General election if passed, would be Tuesday 15th October now, due to a Jewish holiday on the 14th October. 

Sky News are still quoting Monday 14th October

SectionDJambo

I take it that Theresa May voted with the party line. No mention of her but she was in there today.

Would have been a bit of a hoot if she had been flung out the party so soon after being forced to give up being PM.

Probably knew she didn’t need to.

The Tories are knackered, but can a Corbyn Labour Party take advantage?

Can't help but think this is exactly how Boris and his aides have planned this. Rebels and Corbyn have walked right into it. 

Making good on their word, removing the whip from the traitors within. Changing the composition of his party whilst making final arrangements to annihilate Corbyn and his mob.

No deal Brexit a foregone conclusion.

4 hours ago, JyTees said:

Can't help but think this is exactly how Boris and his aides have planned this. Rebels and Corbyn have walked right into it. 

Making good on their word, removing the whip from the traitors within. Changing the composition of his party whilst making final arrangements to annihilate Corbyn and his mob.

No deal Brexit a foregone conclusion.

I think like a lot of us, we are giving BoJo and the rest of the idiots down in Westminster to much credit. the folk who are in charge down there haven't go a clue what to do or whats going on. 

Europe have finished with the negotiations, and have done for some time, they are standing back in amazement at the complete  bull that's coming out of Westminster about new deals. 

The whole thing is about pointing blame. Tories blame everyone, even their own MP's and everyone blames the Tories. The real blame should be directed at the people who voted for Brexit. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )