Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

One of the peers who was trying to drag out and delay the bill going through the Lords was Viscount Ridley. Who is he i hear you ask.

Well he was in charge of Northern Rock when it collapsed. So two things 1. Why the **** is he anywhere near any sort of position of power? 2. Guess how long it took the bill to save his bank to get through the Lords? Yep one day.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

One of the peers who was trying to drag out and delay the bill going through the Lords was Viscount Ridley. Who is he i hear you ask.

Well he was in charge of Northern Rock when it collapsed. So two things 1. Why the **** is he anywhere near any sort of position of power? 2. Guess how long it took the bill to save his bank to get through the Lords? Yep one day.

Parasites.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

He claimed a few weeks he was gonna stop Brexit. It appears all he's been able to muster is a hefty repair bill for the taxpayer. 

Should send Geller the repair bill, well he says he caused it, so he pays for it.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Should send Geller the repair bill, well he says he caused it, so he pays for it.

If he really is psychic, then he should have reported Michael Jackson to the authorities. 

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

If he really is psychic, then he should have reported Michael Jackson to the authorities. 

:wtf:

EU thinking about offering the UK a one year extension to Article 50 which can be ended at any time by the UK actually ratifying something.

23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

This is the current make up of House of Commons.

IMG_20190404_092358.jpg

23 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

There is a by-election today.  Previous labour seat.  Every little helps. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Labour keep seat in by-election, but Ukip vote triples to 9%. 

Turn out less than 40%

Ukip may receive the same bounce after brexit, the SNP had after Indyref.

Government majority now reduced to 5 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:UK_House_of_Commons_composition

Edited by Mikey1874

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Not true.

It is not a formal coalition.

They have no majority.

The Tories remain a minority government with a confidence and supply deal with the DUP.

A bribe to the DUP.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is there another general election on the way very shortly then ? 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

3 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

House of Lords, mate. 

This is where the whole 'Brexit isn't racist, it's about unelected bureaucrats in Brussels and bringing back power' - bringing back power to what, the remnants of a feudal system, with a completed unelected second chamber?

If people were serious about 'democracy', they'd quickly realise that EU is far more democratic than the sum of the Palace of Westminster. 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

EU thinking about offering the UK a one year extension to Article 50 which can be ended at any time by the UK actually ratifying something.

A sensible suggestion, rather than May's "gonna gies us another couple of weeks"...every couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

A sensible suggestion, rather than May's "gonna gies us another couple of weeks"...every couple of weeks.

JRM admitting that we do actually have power within the EU.  Square that with being told what to do by the EU.

What a spanner (or spoon!)

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Now this actually makes sense, so typically it wasn't our idea. Of course if it were granted then we would do the square root of feck all for 11 and a half months and then run around panicking for the last two weeks.

coconut doug
On 01/04/2019 at 23:25, JamboX2 said:

But noones manifestos won. So why be bound by any of them? 

This is national survival type stuff we are into. Not best option.

They never started it. None of the opposition parties did. But they are part of a solution to this shitshow. There's a strange sadism in the idea putting millions on the dole, tens of thousands of those being Scots, with no deal will be a good starting place for an independent nation. By that I mean the underlying thought that no deal best to get independence.

On 01/04/2019 at 23:39, JamboX2 said:

Its an undesirable consequence of no compromise being agreed. And that is not just on them but all parties.

Yet some SNP supporters I know would happily take a bad UK deal to get independence. Which is sadism.

On 02/04/2019 at 00:09, JamboX2 said:

I agree with all of that, surprisingly for us CD! 

The bit in bold I would say it is detrimental for all towns, villages, cities, regions, parts and nations of the UK. But agree their focus is specifically Scotland. Albeit I would say all Scottish MPs are evidently mindful of this as only 1 Scottish MP has backed no deal. 

A strange sequence of events. In the first post you are telling us that the SNP are happy to support no deal even if tens of thousands of Scots end up losing their jobs because it is their (the SNP's) underlying thought that No deal is the best route to Indy.

In the second post you say that those damaging effects are an "undesirable consequence" thus denying your previous claim that they have a "strange sadism" wanting to damage people's lives to achieve Indy.

And in the third post you are agreeing with me (and all the evidence) that in fact they don't support No Deal as only one Scottish MP has voted for it and he is a Tory.

You have argued both extremes and the middle as far as i can see. I don't know if this is some kind of negotiating tactic learned whilst you were a member of the Labour Party but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. 

14 minutes ago, Boris said:

JRM admitting that we do actually have power within the EU.  Square that with being told what to do by the EU.

Rees-Moog really is a nasty piece of work. The EU have on the whole tried to be respectful about the whole process, albeit determined over their red lines such as the wishes of their member Ireland, even though the loss of the UK to the union is a huge blow to them. And he comes out with shit like this?

Moggy forgets that we ARE going to have to make some sort of trade deals with them in the not too distant future.

Best not to cause too much damage on the way out.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Rees-Moog really is a nasty piece of work. The EU have on the whole tried to be respectful about the whole process, albeit determined over their red lines such as the wishes of their member Ireland, even though the loss of the UK to the union is a huge blow to them. And he comes out with shit like this?

The Guy is a prick and should be no where near UK politics. He is like Katie Hopkins but with an unfortunate amount of influence. 

Him and his minions at the ERG are worse than UKIP, DUP and the BNP parties. At least they don't try and hide their real views unlike these clowns. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Cade said:

A suggestion that will certainly be very welcome to Remainers. And one we will have to accept (along with everything else the EU now proposes) now that the Remainers have ruled out No Deal

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A suggestion that will certainly be very welcome to Remainers. And one we will have to accept (along with everything else the EU now proposes) now that the Remainers have ruled out No Deal

Pretty sure that some Brexiteer MP's voted to rule out no deal as well.  Or are they all remainers?

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

They'll  have to accept there won't be another referendum soon as well. 

Or if there is Remain won't be an option  

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

BBA Aviation, Chemring, Daily Mail & General, Diageo, Euromoney, Inchcape, London Stock Exchange, Meggitt, Smith & Nephew and WPP are some of the companies which have mentioned the EU investigation in their accounts.

Superb - Hopefully the tax man batters into the Daily Mail. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They'll  have to accept there won't be another referendum soon as well. 

Or if there is Remain won't be an option  

Unless of course there is a change of government which is highly likely if there’s a long extension. 

Whether it is a Tory or Labour one I feel a second referendum which will include remain is a given. 

But who knows. ?

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Boris said:

Pretty sure that some Brexiteer MP's voted to rule out no deal as well.  Or are they all remainers?

Predominately driven by Remainers. But yes, the extreme Brexiteers in the ERG have also done their bit for the Remain cause! Woke up far too late to the fact that although they won (in their minds at least) the Referendum they are still at bottom a small fringe of the Tory Party and were  in no position to dictate the form of Brexit.

Edited by Francis Albert

10 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Unless of course there is a change of government which is highly likely if there’s a long extension. 

Whether it is a Tory or Labour one I feel a second referendum which will include remain is a given. 

But who knows. ?

I think a deal is going to get done. 

Outline deal in form of options voted by Parliament next week. 

Or they (May and Corbyn's teams) take a bit longer to negotiate a deal. 

Edited by Mikey1874

24 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Theresa May reveals how her faith in God gives her confidence she is 'doing the right thing'

Thank goodness cooler heads are prevailing at last, or we'd be actually ****ed.

Jesus, remember Blair used to come out with that shit to justify his actions. Invading foreign countries and the like. 

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Headline
Bloke who is a total ******** encourages country to act as a total ******** ?

Edited by RobboM
swearies

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Headline
Bloke who is a total ******** encourages country to act as a total ******** ?

He's a very dangerous arsehole too.

He has an ability to take something that merits a simple answer and articulate it to the point it becomes overly complex gives stupid people confidence that he's an expert.

His recent media appearances (Question Time for example) shows he may be upper class but has no self awareness.

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Jesus, remember Blair used to come out with that shit to justify his actions. Invading foreign countries and the like. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Bush came out with similar nonsense as well.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1114156658643689472

Toby Young on Daily Poltics today... the ability of Brexit cheerleaders to promote their agenda with no substance is incredible. Here's a guy making claims based on reading "the press release" - seriously shocking road we're going down where the sane voices are drowned out by the drum beating of the stupid. 

Brighton Jambo
5 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

We can't go much further without a general election. Even if May somehow manages to stumble a deal across the line, that's just unworkable going forward. 

I don't see how a general election helps in the slightest.   Both big parties will run on a manifesto of leaving the EU.  The Tories will be split over a manifesto that says hard brexit versus something soft, Labour will be split between super soft/soft and whether to include the promise of a referendum meaning neither will state a full position or command a majority - so no further forward.

Also parties will start campaigning on other topics, NHS etc to deflect from making a decision which while important will detract from actually resolving this issue.  

It wont solve anything  

18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Boak.

It truly is. Religion in politics is still rife despite the UK becoming more secular. If our leaders are still letting faith influence them in anyway then it must signal a massive worry for us all. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

It truly is. Religion in politics is still rife despite the UK becoming more secular. If our leaders are still letting faith influence them in anyway then it must signal a massive worry for us all. 

King Stephen of Ireland once said "The god almighty will get me out of this one, but you're fecked!" :D

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

They still have daily prayers in the House of Commons.

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/UK/MP-calls-for-ban-on-daily-prayers-in-parliament

Francis Albert
52 minutes ago, Cade said:

Has this anything in particular to do with Brexit?

And if a few people disrupting a Coroners Court (for reasons I have some sympathy for) means the UK is "finished" what does that make France?

EU seriously unhappy with Treeza's letter.

It's far too vague and contains nothing of substance other than hopes, dreams and unicorns.

This extra short delay will get a no unless something drastic happens in Parliament this week.

Francis Albert
32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They still have daily prayers in the House of Commons.

https://www.premier.org.uk/News/UK/MP-calls-for-ban-on-daily-prayers-in-parliament

And again has this anything to do with Brexit? The words of the main prayer quoted surely could not be objectionable to anyone of any religion or like me of none.

coconut doug
On 02/04/2019 at 07:22, JamboX2 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/majority-of-scots-want-to-end-freedom-of-movement-post-brexit-1-4657471/amp

We aren't though, social attitudes surveys show the same trends in Scotland to that of the wider UK population, even on ending freedom of movement. There is also a noticeable tinge within Scottish political thought against the EU. The SNP aren't exactly big fans of "ever closer union" and the Tories have reservations around CFP and CAP. Added to the euroscepticism of the far left (RISE, SSP etc) and you do have a much more varied view of all this than a Scotland black, England white view of it all.

Frankly, again, I don't think these two points are as wide apart as you make out. Listening to some brexiteers is like listening to some Scottish nationalists: demands for a free, sovereign, independent state free from interference and pooled sovereignty with (insert union of choice here). 

I agree that certain members of the Tory party are nothing more than English nationalists but a lot of their bumpf is off the same hymn sheet as Scottish nationalists.

Added to that the referendum results in '16 and '14 were reactionary to something else, austerity and Tory led government. I don't think all are as committed to these causes as we think. Which Progress Scotland's polling seems to show for independence.

Your latest attempt to characterise we Scots as being the same as the English is i'm afraid full of irrelevancies. Linking this Scotsman survey without any comment or description seems strange to me, perhaps it doesn't support your views after all and the headline is all you want. 

The assertion to which you were replying was that Scottish people are different to English people and that expectations regarding the outcome of a second Brexit referendum might not be what we Scots expect them to be because English people are so different. A good point, i think. 

Your claim “We aren't though, social attitudes surveys show the same trends in Scotland to that of the wider UK population, even on ending freedom of movement.” Is bogus. I don’t know which “trends” you refer to but the snapshots i.e. this poll and the EU referendum tell a different story to the one you offer. The referendum shows 62% of Scots voters support freedom of movement whilst in England the figure was around 46%. That is a substantial difference that exemplifies a massively different attitude to the EU and to foreigners generally.

The survey results actually deny your assertion as well. They show that more people in Scotland are in favour of freedom of movement, after Brexit than those in England. What is important is that the survey shows a clear difference between Scotland and England and that was the poster's point. It doesn't really matter though because the question relates to post Brexit and IMO is a pointless question since FOM is linked to the single market and post Brexit, we may or may not, be in it.

I think we all know how racist attacks increased in England after the Brexit vote but did not do so in Scotland. We are also aware of many anecdotal accounts of people moving from England to Scotland because of it.

Nicola has repeatedly tried to assure EU nationals that they are welcome here and valued. She has repeatedly stated that their presence and rights here would not be damaged as a result of Brexit if she had anything to do with it. TBF I have heard very little criticism of that view from opposition politicians in Scotland. Contrast that with the attitude of some down south.

Quite amazingly you fail to see much distinction between INDY supporters and Brexiteers stating  Listening to some brexiteers is like listening to some Scottish nationalists: demands for a free, sovereign, independent state Listening to some brexiteers is like listening to some Scottish nationalists: demands for a free, sovereign, independent state free from interference and pooled sovereignty with (insert union of choice here). with (insert union of choice here).”  How can you want to be in the EU with all the shared institutions and legislation and be described as being    free from interference and pooled sovereignty ?  How is it that you cannot understand that when Scotland becomes independent, it will wish to play its part, in the international community and the EU, as and when it sees fit? Why can’t you understand that it is the Unionist parties that are currently conspiring to remove us from the EU? Are you not aware that every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain whist in England a vast majority voted to leave?

Your other comments on how Scotland is not fully on board with the EU are not even slightly credible. To say that the SNP are not “big fans of ever closer union” is not a validation of your argument. You don’t know which elements they may or may not be in favour of, but in any case there can be no doubt that the SNP supports remaining in the EU whether that offers ever closer union or not. The SNP have offered clarity, consistency and strategies to keep the UK in or as close to in the EU as possible. They have managed to do this effectively because in Scotland there is near unity amongst political parties whereas in England it is a bit different.

We do not and have not for some considerable time held similar political views to those in England but just because there is a bit of overlap does not entitle you to ignore the distinctions especially in our attitudes to the EU and people from other countries..   

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wow. I guess that is what tolerance means today. Does this apply to people say of Muslim or Jewish faith or Hindu faith etc. Or perhaps for people with no faith. Are any of these people allowed to let their faith or lack of faith influence them in any way?

And what has it to do with Brexit?

Edited by Francis Albert

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )