Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who knows. Perhaps if it's a lengthy one. Say 99 years or so. 

That would suit me fine. 

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

That would suit me fine. 

I don't know. A maximum of 98 years is a red line for me, and I would definitely vote against 99 years on a matter of principle.

22 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who knows. Perhaps if it's a lengthy one. Say 99 years or so. 

By then we’ll be more concerned about leaving the interstellar conglomeration, fed up of those pesky Martians coming here and stealing our jobs. 

15 minutes ago, gjcc said:

By then we’ll be more concerned about leaving the interstellar conglomeration, fed up of those pesky Martians coming here and stealing our jobs. 

511pylp88DL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I think so on the last vote.    Pretty sure there were enough Tories who voted no who would have swung it.    But barely.     Could be wrong.

Yes there were 33 Tories who voted against the WA in the last vote and if they had voted the other way the WA would have passed, however I don't know if all of them are members of the ERG. 

9 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Pretty much.

Indeed. Only last week, my hairdresser started out with "I'm not a racist, but..." in mid-cut and then went on a mini-rant as to why Poles were the cause of the local area's ills. These are the times we are living in.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Only last week, my hairdresser started out with "I'm not a racist, but..." in mid-cut and then went on a mini-rant as to why Poles were the cause of the local area's ills. These are the times we are living in.

FFS.

The Tory Party, along with their press baron chums, have allowed this to enter the mainstream.  It's ****ing ridiculous.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

FFS.

The Tory Party, along with their press baron chums, have allowed this to enter the mainstream.  It's ****ing ridiculous.

Naw, it's always been there, just bubbling under the surface, in my day it was the 'Jamaicans or the Trinidadians' who got the blame for everything nowadays it's the Poles or other Eastern Europeans, guess what I'm saying is that racists will be racists no matter which political party are in control or what paper they read.

Brexit has giving them a convenient platform to spout their crap, but make no mistake about this, brexit or no brexit they would have found something else to latch onto which allowed them to spout their pish, it's been like that for decades, they always have found some platform, some excuse or another.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Naw, it's always been there, just bubbling under the surface, in my day it was the 'Jamaicans or the Trinidadians' who got the blame for everything nowadays it's the Poles or other Eastern Europeans, guess what I'm saying is that racists will be racists no matter which political party are in control or what paper they read.

Brexit has giving them a convenient platform to spout their crap, but make no mistake about this, brexit or no brexit they would have found something else to latch onto which allowed them to spout their pish, it's been like that for decades, they always have found some platform, some excuse or another.

Absolutely, but by "entering the mainstream", I think what Boris is saying, and I agree, is that xenophobia is almost being "legitimised" now. My hairdresser wouldn't for example have said that 5 years ago, even if they thought it. And when the "secret" xenophobes and racists start voicing their opinions openly, believing that it is ok to do so, racist crime and discrimination are not far behind.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

But it's aided and abetted by the Tory Party, always has done.

They know the buttons to push to tap into that demographic.  

Image result for racist tory leaflet 1960s

Jambo-Jimbo
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely, but by "entering the mainstream", I think what Boris is saying, and I agree, is that xenophobia is almost being "legitimised" now. My hairdresser wouldn't for example have said that 5 years ago, even if they thought it. And when the "secret" xenophobes and racists start voicing their opinions openly, believing that it is ok to do so, racist crime and discrimination are not far behind.

I think social media has also emboldened people, as they can reach/contact many many more like minded people very easily, whereas before it was more limited and on a local level.

19 minutes ago, Boris said:

But it's aided and abetted by the Tory Party, always has done.

They know the buttons to push to tap into that demographic.  

Image result for racist tory leaflet 1960s

Where did you get that from?  I'm sure Eddie Booth didn't think of that when he voted for Labour. ?

35 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The Tory party has always had a section sympathetic to the far right.  When the National Front/BNP/UKIP(!) look like eating into their voter base, they use language sympathetic to those views, thus legitimising it, in an attempt to appease these voters.

May's "hostile environment" for example.

They are nasty *******s.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think social media has also emboldened people, as they can reach/contact many many more like minded people very easily, whereas before it was more limited and on a local level.

Or easier to be targeted by far right propaganda?

Where did you get that from?  I'm sure Eddie Booth didn't think of that when he voted for Labour. ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/britains-most-racist-election-smethwick-50-years-on

10 minutes ago, Boris said:

" Labour members countered by proposing a motion reproving the prime minister for insulting lepers."

I didn't think I would be laughing at anything in that article, but the above gave me an unexpected chuckle. :)

7th vote in the Lords goes with backers of the Cooper bill, as have the other 6, with the lowest amount of votes cast on the other side so far.

Perhaps the Tory bawbags have given up.

Edited by Cade

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'll bet you there are many many many folks who wouldn't believe things like this could have happened in Britain, and yet it did.

Thankfully we have moved on from those days, however some things have never changed, such as the lack of housing, economic worries and concerns about uncontrolled immigration, issues which are at the forefront today, just as they were 50 years, as much as some things move on some things stay the same.

I'll bet you there are many many many folks who wouldn't believe things like this could have happened in Britain, and yet it did.

Thankfully we have moved on from those days, however some things have never changed, such as the lack of housing, economic worries and concerns about uncontrolled immigration, issues which are at the forefront today, just as they were 50 years, as much as some things move on some things stay the same.

Except it isn’t uncontrolled. Which kind of proves the point.

Housing, economic worries are all government responsibilities. Politicians using immigration as a reason are deliberately avoiding their responsibilities and using dog whistle politics to divide and rule.

House suspended for the rest of the day as water pisses down on the shower of shit below! 

Karma eh!? 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

As soon as someone says “I’m not racist but” you know where it’s going.

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, Cade said:

House of Commons adjourned for the rest of the day due to a burst pipe drenching the chamber.

:rofl:

Pity it wasn’t a golden shower.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Boris said:

The Tory party has always had a section sympathetic to the far right.  When the National Front/BNP/UKIP(!) look like eating into their voter base, they use language sympathetic to those views, thus legitimising it, in an attempt to appease these voters.

May's "hostile environment" for example.

They are nasty *******s.

Or easier to be targeted by far right propaganda?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/britains-most-racist-election-smethwick-50-years-on

Pretty much why I hope Norman Tebbit regrets his path in life, when he wipes his wife's arse. 

8 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

House of Lords.

Democracy in motion.?

Throw in the head state, The UK is all democratic.

Edited by ri Alban

Jambo-Jimbo
50 minutes ago, Boris said:

Housing, economic worries are all government responsibilities. Politicians using immigration as a reason are deliberately avoiding their responsibilities and using dog whistle politics to divide and rule.

It's how they have managed to stay in control for so long and peddle the same crap as they did 50 years ago.

P.S. I don't just mean the Tories but the lot of them.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

9-0 in the Lords.

Vote 10 under way.

David Davis watches on from the sidelines - if there is ever someone who should be prosecuted for gross negligence in public office it’s that arse.

AlphonseCapone
46 minutes ago, Cade said:

:gok: 

Untitled.jpg

The sewage left for the day when the leak started. Think that's what caused the confusion... 

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Click on the link. You might learn something.

Thanks. I wasn't aware you just had to click on the thing. But I was up for a once in a lifetime experience so I did (unlike those who pontificate about the GFA clearly without having read it I was willing to test my assumptions by accessing it). I find it consisting of 95% or more of smug Remainers/anti-Brexiters showing off  about  how clever they (think they) are while dismissing those who disagree or voted the "wrong" way as thick. Get enough of that on here TBH.

The low point was the Analyst chap invoking in a video clip some typical overblown JFK rhetoric about one ignorant voter threatening the operation of democracy. The same JFK who did **** all about illegal school segregation and denial of voting rights in the South because he needed (white) Southern Democrat votes. 

Anyway confirmed my view that Twitterdom is not for me. 

Edited by Francis Albert

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. I wasn't aware you just had to click on the thing. But I was up for a once in a lifetime experience so I did (unlike those who pontificate about the GFA clearly without having read it I was willing to test my assumptions by accessing it). I find it consisting of 95% or more of smug Remainers/anti-Brexiters showing off  about  how clever they (think they) are while dismissing those who disagree or voted the "wrong" way as thick. Get enough of that on here TBH.

The low point was the Analyst chap invoking in a video clip some typical overblown JFK rhetoric about one ignorant voter threatening the operation of democracy. The same JFK who did **** all about illegal school segregation and denial of voting rights in the South because he needed (white) Southern Democrat votes. 

Damn. Is there any other social media we could interest you in?

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think FA could be an instagram kinda guy.

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Does JKB qualify. Or is that antisocial?

39 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

To be honest,  I didn't think evidence based analysis which conflicted with your preconceived views was for you  but we tried.

Not for the first time, you ignore the original point (skewering the idea that Leave = a no deal Brexit) and focus on something to do with JFK (a separate tweet) and an assertion that Leave voters were branded as thick (which tweet did Steve analyst post claiming that?).

Francis Albert
29 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I think FA could be an instagram kinda guy.

As I have often admitted I can't even post a link on here!

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, Costanza said:

To be honest,  I didn't think evidence based analysis which conflicted with your preconceived views was for you  but we tried.

Not for the first time, you ignore the original point (skewering the idea that Leave = a no deal Brexit) and focus on something to do with JFK (a separate tweet) and an assertion that Leave voters were branded as thick (which tweet did Steve analyst post claiming that?).

Patronise away!

I don't think the definition of Brexit can be derived from "evidence based analysis." I don't think Leave = a no deal Brexit and haven't said it does. That was Piers Morgan. Brexit could (and did and does) mean a whole spectrum of outcomes including a no deal Brexit whereas Remain was and is obviously a relatively simple thing to define. I'd agree the referendum which 85% of MPs voted for (and then promised to respect the outcome of) was therefore deeply flawed.

I am sorry if I drifted from the original point. I am not sure I am unusual in doing that. I think the JFK point is relevant in assessing the quality of "Steve Analyst"'s thinking and to the point of my post - which was, having been invited to do so, comment  on Analyst's Twitter thread and Twitter in general.

19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Patronise away!

I don't think the definition of Brexit can be derived from "evidence based analysis." I don't think Leave = a no deal Brexit and haven't said it does. That was Piers Morgan. Brexit could (and did and does) mean a whole spectrum of outcomes including a no deal Brexit whereas Remain was and is obviously a relatively simple thing to define. I'd agree the referendum which 85% of MPs voted for (and then promised to respect the outcome of) was therefore deeply flawed.

I concur. Leaving was never a black and white issue. The problem was that, imo, the Government honestly thought that Remain would win and, as a result, that Tory Brexiteers and UKIP supporters would be brought back into the fold and the party kept together. They therefore didn't put much thought into the fact that "Leave" could mean a multitude of courses of action.They are now reaping the harvest from the results of that simplistic point of view.

Edited by redjambo

Cooper bill deal back behind the scenes.

Tory peers agree not to filibuster but bill pushed back until monday.

We'll see if the bawsacks actually behave after the weekend.

More likely they'll be phoning every Lord they can and paying bungs to cross benchers all weekend in order to get more nay votes on the floor for monday morning.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Does JKB qualify. Or is that antisocial?

Only when used the way you do. 

Edited by Craig_

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting times

Uri Geller, now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while, so he's progressed from bending spoons to bursting pipes, neat.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Uri Geller, now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while, so he's progressed from bending spoons to bursting pipes, neat.

He claimed a few weeks he was gonna stop Brexit. It appears all he's been able to muster is a hefty repair bill for the taxpayer. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

I concur. Leaving was never a black and white issue. The problem was that, imo, the Government honestly thought that Remain would win and, as a result, that Tory Brexiteers and UKIP supporters would be brought back into the fold and the party kept together. They therefore didn't put much thought into the fact that "Leave" could mean a multitude of courses of action.They are now reaping the harvest from the results of that simplistic point of view.

I think "honestly thought" is too kind. Arrogantly believed nearer the mark.

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I think "honestly thought" is too kind. Arrogantly believed nearer the mark.

With Silver bells and Cockleshells. 

Labour keep seat in by-election, but Ukip vote triples to 9%. 

Turn out less than 40%

Ukip may receive the same bounce after brexit, the SNP had after Indyref.

Edited by ri Alban

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )