British Open Golf

Jeff

William H. Bonney

Such a strange drive, so far off the fairway, making sure the rules were adhered to.

More like bending the rules in his favour.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyBatistuta

More like bending the rules in his favour.

It's the rules, but don't like it. Unplayable my erse.

John Findlay

No matter what you may think of Speith. He is one of the best at putting I have ever seen. I was brought up in the heyday of Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino et al.

Samuel Camazzola

No matter what you may think of Speith. He is one of the best at putting I have ever seen. I was brought up in the heyday of Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino et al.

Yeah, Stricker was special with the flat stick and Tiger the greatest but Spieth is the best around at present.

Guess The Crowd

It's the rules, but don't like it. Unplayable my erse.

The player is perfectly entitled to declare his ball unplayable, and take the penalty. Nothing wrong with what he did in that regard.

On the other hand, there will be a real slow play controversy if he wins, despite his brilliant play since then.

luckyBatistuta

The player is perfectly entitled to declare his ball unplayable, and take the penalty. Nothing wrong with what he did in that regard.

On the other hand, there will be a real slow play controversy if he wins, despite his brilliant play since then.

I know it's in the rules, I stated that. Just think it's bollockks that it was unplayable. Glad it was him doing it, as don't like him anyway...as you probably guessed :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

Is Darren Clarke being paid by the r&A to promote the open?

If I'd won the biggest prize in golf, I'd be selling it the same.

A great Sunday's golf, a bottle of red and ?100 back for Leishman and Grace's top ten finishes. Great day!

+ youngest since Nicklaus to win 3 of the 4. The 15% stat should be even better, given he threw a Masters from 5 ahead.

It's way too early to know if he can challenge Tiger's total of 14 but he has plenty of time.

Whether you love him or hate him that is the best 6 hole finish ever.

Humble guy too.

Well played.

William H. Bonney

+ youngest since Nicklaus to win 3 of the 4. The 15% stat should be even better, given he threw a Masters from 5 ahead.

It's way too early to know if he can challenge Tiger's total of 14 but he has plenty of time.

Was very close 2 years ago at st Andrews too.

Very impressed with Spieth. For such a young guy he behaves impeccably. Mature beyond his years. His golf today was incredible! To be in his position, with that amount of pressure on to then find that finish? Hats off to him.

I usually find it difficult to like any American golfers but Spieth is one. 

He's one of the slowest players on tour,samuel!

I just find him irritating, everything about the guy annoys me, I'm sure Jordan will be gutted by my hatred of the him :lol:

This reaction too.... :muggy:

You ok Hun??? xxx :)

I laughed reading this after him taking 18 mins to play his shot :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just in. Can't say I'm a Spieth fan but always found him to be a proper golf person.

His back 9 today is what separates the top few from the steady pros. Absolutely explosive

hmfc_liam06

I know it's in the rules, I stated that. Just think it's bollockks that it was unplayable. Glad it was him doing it, as don't like him anyway...as you probably guessed :lol:

Why bollocks that it was unplayable? Only the golfer can determine if he thinks he can play a proper shot or not. In this case he thought his best chance was to take the drop, golfers the world over do it every week.

luckyBatistuta

Why bollocks that it was unplayable? Only the golfer can determine if he thinks he can play a proper shot or not. In this case he thought his best chance was to take the drop, golfers the world over do it every week.

That's my point, he determined it unplayable (bollocks imo), saying he couldn't play it. He could have played it, but probably dropped more shots as a result of it. I know he's allowed to going by the rules, but I still personally don't like it, as he could have played it imo. That's the rules though, so heh hoh...still don't like him. There was someone earlier on (think it was day 2, that had a worse lie than Spieths and had a mare playing it, but I liked the fact that as a professional golfer he gave it a go. I'm not clued up on all the rules of golf though, so open to be ripped to pieces on the subject.

That's my point, he determined it unplayable (bollocks imo), saying he couldn't play it. He could have played it, but probably dropped more shots as a result of it. I know he's allowed to going by the rules, but I still personally don't like it, as he could have played it imo. That's the rules though, so heh hoh...still don't like him. There was someone earlier on (think it was day 2, that had a worse lie than Spieths and had a mare playing it, but I liked the fact that as a professional golfer he gave it a go. I'm not clued up on all the rules of golf though, so open to be ripped to pieces on the subject.

The rules are there to help a golfer. Not to punish. You use help from the rules when you can.

luckyBatistuta

The rules are there to help a golfer. Not to punish. You use help from the rules when you can.

What is the actual rule?

I understand it if it's in a place that you can't swing a club or have nowhere to stand, but none of those applied.

I play a couple of times a week, but not competitively, so nit up on all the rules.

What is the actual rule?

I understand it if it's in a place that you can't swing a club or have nowhere to stand, but none of those applied.

I play a couple of times a week, but not competitively, so nit up on all the rules.

A player can deem any shot as unplayable and drop under penalty, within 2 club lengths of the ball and no nearer to the hole. Or take line of sight between the pin and ball. Or take the ball back to the position where the last shot was played. Only the player can decide what to deem as playable or unplayable.

luckyBatistuta

A player can deem any shot as unplayable and drop under penalty, within 2 club lengths of the ball and no nearer to the hole. Or take line of sight between the pin and ball. Or take the ball back to the position where the last shot was played. Only the player can decide what to deem as playable or unplayable.

I knew the two club length rule, but always thought it was a case of...only if it is a case of you being physically unable to hit the ball. I thought he could have with that shot and that's why I was miffed about it. Why don't they let the official determine if it's unplayable?

I knew the two club length rule, but always thought it was a case of...only if it is a case of you being physically unable to hit the ball. I thought he could have with that shot and that's why I was miffed about it. Why don't they let the official determine if it's unplayable?

Because all shots can be deemed as unplayable. No outside opinion required. It would be utterly impractical to seek a ruling in all circumstances. The rule is there for anyone to use.

luckyBatistuta

Because all shots can be deemed as unplayable. No outside opinion required. It would be utterly impractical to seek a ruling in all circumstances. The rule is there for anyone to use.

So anytime you feel like your going to drop a couple of shots, you just declare it unplayable for damage limitation, surely that's a bit of a cop out.

Any shot?... even if it's lying on a fairway?

Think I need to start playing in some medals :lol:

deesidejambo

So anytime you feel like your going to drop a couple of shots, you just declare it unplayable for damage limitation, surely that's a bit of a cop out.

Yes - the rules are there to help.

btw you can deem it unplayable if its in a water hazard.

Guess The Crowd

Yes.

You do appreciate though, that there's a one shot penalty for doing so?

deesidejambo

edit  - can't 

Yes. You still incur a one shot penalty and often have to drop into a position where you're still in deep shit.

The only situation I can think of in the fairway would be if you were in a deep divot. Dropping out under penalty would never be any better than playing the shot.

luckyBatistuta

Knew that one :thumb:

luckyBatistuta

Yes.

You do appreciate though, that there's a one shot penalty for doing so?

Yeah, know that too :thumb:

Guess The Crowd

Yeah, know that too :thumb:

So, what Spieth did today was 100% within the rules, and entirely sensible.

Golfers are far more often guilty of doing the exact opposite - trying to hack their way out of a bad position and running up a big score, when the sensible play is to take the drop and one-stroke penalty

Archived