British Open Golf

Jeff

I'm hoping my place have a long term plan for the bunkers.

Some of them have had some serious work done to them and filled with decent sand, hopefully it's a few each year - it's not a massively bunkered course.

Bunkers have been getting worse for years. As mentioned, the worst thing is the lottery of not really knowing what's under thr ball. Bunkers that vary. Even varying areas within one bunker. But at the end of the day they are the same for everyone. All you can hope for is to be lying in the middle of the bunker.. which I never get.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley

Bunkers have been getting worse for years. As mentioned, the worst thing is the lottery of not really knowing what's under thr ball. Bunkers that vary. Even varying areas within one bunker. But at the end of the day they are the same for everyone. All you can hope for is to be lying in the middle of the bunker.. which I never get.

Bunkers are fine for links courses but bringing them inland is often a disaster. 

Course designers feel the need to pepper all 18 holes with about 5 bunkers each. They're costly to maintain and a lot of the courses I've played on scrimp on that maintenance, resulting in ugly, nasty areas with about 2cm of "sand" out of which you can't play a proper sand shot. 

If you're advertising a 'parkland' course, make it look like a park with lots of grass, trees, shrubs & ponds. Don't pretend you're at the seaside. 

luckyBatistuta

My course is is fantastic condition apart from the bunkers. They are a joke, as there is hardly any sand in them.

Bunkers are fine for links courses but bringing them inland is often a disaster.

Course designers feel the need to pepper all 18 holes with about 5 bunkers each. They're costly to maintain and a lot of the courses I've played on scrimp on that maintenance, resulting in ugly, nasty areas with about 2cm of "sand" out of which you can't play a proper sand shot.

If you're advertising a 'parkland' course, make it look like a park with lots of grass, trees, shrubs & ponds. Don't pretend you're at the seaside.

A properly constructed bunker with a compacted layer and a covering of fine sand is no problem. We used to have wonderful bunkers at my club. You could play all manner of splash and percussion shots with no effort.

Now it's sand pits.

Rakes are another reason why bunkers are shite. Very few golfers rake a bunker properly. Even when raked properly they fluff up the sand too much. Raking a bunker with your shoes is a much better way to do it. It helps compact down the sand.

#snapeveryrakeyouseeonacourse

I P Knightley

Rakes are another reason why bunkers are shite. Very few golfers rake a bunker properly. Even when raked properly they fluff up the sand too much. Raking a bunker with your shoes is a much better way to do it. It helps compact down the sand.

#snapeveryrakeyouseeonacourse

:biglaugh:

The campaign starts here. In a decent bunker, it shouldn't matter if the ball lies in a bit of a footprint, unless it's a massive chasm left by a huge fatlad. You'll get the blade in and under the ball with a helping of sand to get it out. 

In the shiter, cheapskate bunkers, though, with only an inch of sand to play with, landing in a footprint could hurt your wrists on the concrete underneath. 

Harry Potter

Normally get out the bunker 1st time but if i dont my whole mental state just collapses, time to get the cigar out and lie down, ha ha.

:biglaugh:

The campaign starts here. In a decent bunker, it shouldn't matter if the ball lies in a bit of a footprint, unless it's a massive chasm left by a huge fatlad. You'll get the blade in and under the ball with a helping of sand to get it out.

In the shiter, cheapskate bunkers, though, with only an inch of sand to play with, landing in a footprint could hurt your wrists on the concrete underneath.

It would help a bit if folk would get away from the notion that raking a bunker consists merely of grabbing the rake and then hauling half the contents of the bunker back the way to the back edge. You end up with heaps in the back and nothing in the bottom and up the face.

Hate bunkers , ones at carrick knowe are like cement, best solution, avoid them.

There's a couple of acceptable bunkers, the rest are an absolute farce. Total scorecard destroyers. I was cruising towards a new personal best a few weeks back before getting stuck in a bunker on the 16th that was like cement with a 5mm layer of muddy sand on top - took me 3 shots to get out of it. 

:seething:

I thinned one out of the bunker at the first in a medal one time. It ended up in another postcode. I was left with a full 9 iron coming back. Blind shot. Over another green. Likely to land on a severe forward slope and revisit the same catbox.

Signed for a 7 later.

Samuel Camazzola

My course is is fantastic condition apart from the bunkers. They are a joke, as there is hardly any sand in them.

Liberton has always struggled with the bunkers. Never enough sand in them although dunes of the stuff used to be piled up on the visitor's carpark.

I liked his reaction after he drained the eagle on 15. Looked at his caddie, pointed at the hole and said something along the lines of "You get that".

His interview afterwards was brilliant he admitted he had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he said that to his caddy he was just lost in the moment and felt his putting just click after the 13th.

For those saying they dont like him cause he is arrogant, I have never heard him speak anything other than respectfully and positively about anyone and he has always held the game in high regard. He often talks about how fortunate he is and that he is always grounded by his sister who has autism and who he has with him at most of his tournaments.

I also thought his winners speech was brilliant including his comments about his caddy and to those around.

By the way I was cheering for Kuchar.

Harry Potter

His interview afterwards was brilliant he admitted he had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he said that to his caddy he was just lost in the moment and felt his putting just click after the 13th.

For those saying they dont like him cause he is arrogant, I have never heard him speak anything other than respectfully and positively about anyone and he has always held the game in high regard. He often talks about how fortunate he is and that he is always grounded by his sister who has autism and who he has with him at most of his tournaments.

I also thought his winners speech was brilliant including his comments about his caddy and to those around.

By the way I was cheering for Kuchar.

I thought he had blown it on the 13th, great recovery from where he was, how he ever drove that far right is beyond me though.

I've played it over and over but still not sure. He seems to complete his swing ok but possibly got his weight transfer all wrong. It looks like he may left his weight back on his right side through the hit. Club head coming through open. Balloons it up and out. He looked up for it and seemed as shocked as anyone.

I P Knightley

I thought he had blown it on the 13th, great recovery from where he was, how he ever drove that far right is beyond me though.

Piece of piss! I do it all the time. 

Clubs want low maintenance bunkers now. Many are constructed with underlying membrane mats for drainage amd something akin to builder's sand dumped in. Less loss to the wind. Not really bunkers anymore. More like long jump sand pits.

A typical bunker at Carricknowe earlier today: 

hs5hcg.jpg

Thankfully I managed to avoid sticking my ball in any of them.

luckyBatistuta

Liberton has always struggled with the bunkers. Never enough sand in them although dunes of the stuff used to be piled up on the visitor's carpark.

It's annoying as it's the only thing letting the course down

A typical bunker at Carricknowe earlier today: 

hs5hcg.jpg

Thankfully I managed to avoid sticking my ball in any of them.

Omg, now don't feel so bad about our bunkers now

hmfc_liam06

65bf625780a6f4529b863b975ae25627.jpg

The worst bunker at my course, complete with tyre track and my ball right up against it.

It's basically just mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes. What do you use to get out of that? The Bible?

:lol:

To be fair, while they have clearly been neglecting the bunkers, the greens were actually in pretty impressive nick. Far better than the state of the greens at Braids last week.

:lol:

To be fair, while they have clearly been neglecting the bunkers, the greens were actually in pretty impressive nick. Far better than the state of the greens at Braids last week.

Braids were not great earlier this year during the Dispatch. Not like the trademark greens of the past when you had to waft the shadow of your putter at the ball and it went 15 feet.

Get yourself a Tad Moore Blaster Sand Wedge. :thumbsup:

Bunker? What ****** bunker?

I've got one of those somewhere. Had the Alien equivalent too. The Tad Moore is actually a decent club.

Braids were not great earlier this year during the Dispatch. Not like the trademark greens of the past when you had to waft the shadow of your putter at the ball and it went 15 feet.

Some bits were brick hard and bare, basically like putting on tarmac, complete with bobbling around, and other bits were furry and held the ball up. Totally inconsistent and impossible to judge. I think the longest putt I holed out was from around 4 feet.

I think the longest putt I holed out was from around 4 feet.

That's a standard round for me, on great greens :lol: and a ?240 putter :facepalm:

Harry Potter

That's a standard round for me, on great greens :lol: and a ?240 putter :facepalm:

My putter was given to me by the wifes mother , won it in some raffle, putt like spieth with it, well a bit.

Harry Potter

I played there frequently back in the 1970s.

Nice to see that the bunkers have improved....

Is that the long 6th .

Harry Potter

That photo was taken on the fourth (green just out of view on the left side).

Cheers, played a cracking 6 iron , 2nd shot to that green a wee while back, just caught that bunker, should really have known that hole.

Archived