British Open Golf

Jeff

Im down here at Birkdale today and tomorrow, fair to say the tv wouldnt do justice to how ****ing savage that wind was.

Players were standing in 15mph wind hitting into greens that were 35mph.

Spieth actually got a good part of the day after surviving the rain as it killed the wind.

Better be sunny tomorrow, im thinking Kuchar as a winner.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JamboCampbell

Did anyone take the 140-1 when Rory McIlroy was 5 over?

45/1 i took

Needs to get 2 shots back on Speith today though.

JamboCampbell

Did anyone take the 140-1 when Rory McIlroy was 5 over?

45/1 i took

Needs to get 2 shots back on Speith today though.

Samuel Camazzola

The ignorance of the galleries does my head in sometimes.

Willett just hit a shite short iron onto the front of the green miles from the pin and the zombies burst into applause.

No arseholes. The shot was shite so feckin wrap up.

Yip. The biggest tool was the guy inside the ropes today on some official capacity. Willett hit his tee shot up the left of the 1st only for the idiot to be chatting to someone and facing the other way. Ball skelps him in the back!

John Findlay

Slightly pissed off with Sky's coverage. Mentioned everyone in the top five groups today bar one. Richie Ramsay the only Scotsman in with a chance of winning. The Americans, The Englishman Poulter(how desperate are they for him to win) Northern Irish man Rory. Who out of all the British golfers probably has the game to catch the Americans. Not to mention a guy sitting at -2 at present has been negligent bordering on the criminal.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone but the Americans and Poulter. Richie would be quite a result. Noren my last hope.

Someone is going to shoot 63 but Spieth will probably go low

Slightly pissed off with Sky's coverage. Mentioned everyone in the top five groups today bar one. Richie Ramsay the only Scotsman in with a chance of winning. The Americans, The Englishman Poulter(how desperate are they for him to win) Northern Irish man Rory. Who out of all the British golfers probably has the game to catch the Americans. Not to mention a guy sitting at -2 at present has been negligent bordering on the criminal.

Tbh the old BBC live broadcasting was no better on that score. Many a year went past with very minimal coverage of Scottish players.

The Open is a championship of no particular nationality. It's not a British competition and certainly not English. To be fair, Rory McIlroy is given the coverage he should get as a top player. But English players have always been placed at the forefront of the coverage package and often with little justification. Also reference the frequent comments re how the last English player to win was... etc etc. So ****ing what?

Hopefully Ramsey will perform under the radar and do well.

The omens from the Open history at Birkdale point to only one winner. Rory McIlroy.

Birkdale winners tend to be multiple Open winners. Thomson, Palmer, Watson, Trevino and Harrington. There are also multiple winners by nationality. Americans and Australians. A second Irishman is yet to win. Cue Rory.

Quite pleased for that Alfie Plant. He's won the silver medal already and he's got a two day odyssey in front of his supporters ahead. A good start today too. He's only a couple of shots away from the top 20. He better enjoy it because it might be the highlight of his career.

Samuel Camazzola

The omens from the Open history at Birkdale point to only one winner. Rory McIlroy.

Birkdale winners tend to be multiple Open winners. Thomson, Palmer, Watson, Trevino and Harrington. There are also multiple winners by nationality. Americans and Australians. A second Irishman is yet to win. Cue Rory.

But Harrington wasn't a multiple major winner going into The Open at Birkdale. Spieth has two behind him - one more than Harrington had.

But Harrington wasn't a multiple major winner going into The Open at Birkdale. Spieth has two behind him - one more than Harrington had.

I'm talking about Opens. I know Harrington wasn't a multiple winner going into it too. ;) My point is about what the history books now show.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm talking about Opens. I know Harrington wasn't a multiple winner going into it too. ;) My point is about what the history books now show.

I think the conditions need to get tougher for the guys at par/-1 to close the gap. The course is fairer than most on the Open rota and looks less likely to punish someone with a bad bounce or lie.

Hopefully there will be a cluster of players at the end of the day and not like the US Open.

I think the conditions need to get tougher for the guys at par/-1 to close the gap. The course is fairer than most on the Open rota and looks less likely to punish someone with a bad bounce or lie.

Hopefully there will be a cluster of players at the end of the day and not like the US Open.

Yep. It's going to be very hard now for the guys in that area of the field. There are too many ahead of them. For me, due to the quality of the players at the top, it looks highly likely to be between the top 3 Americans plus Rory.

40/1 is a tempter.

Top 20 still to tee off and the first score in is a 65 from the back of the field. Interesting.

Samuel Camazzola

As an observation, what size are Adam Scott's feet? Size 15+ going by the Footjoy's he's wearing!

First ever major championship 62? It seems possible if the wind stays down. Brandon Grace on the course and in with a shout.

First ever major championship 62? It seems possible if the wind stays down. Brandon Grace on the course and in with a shout.

After looking done yesterday, looks like I'll get a run for my money with grace.

Samuel Camazzola

There's an interesting debate about how courses have been lengthened to their limit but the advances in technology make a lot of these adjustments pretty relative in the pro game.

A few pros have stated the standardising the ball and reducing the compression at professional level may be the way to go.

It would be interesting to see a tournament where everyone uses the same ball. This could maybe advance to same clubs where only length, lie angle and grip thickness could be bespoke to the player.

There's an interesting debate about how courses have been lengthened to their limit but the advances in technology make a lot of these adjustments pretty relative in the pro game.

A few pros have stated the standardising the ball and reducing the compression at professional level may be the way to go.

It would be interesting to see a tournament where everyone uses the same ball. This could maybe advance to same clubs where only length, lie angle and grip thickness could be bespoke to the player.

I agree. I think the standardised ball is the best way to go. Some of these guys just murder their woods and driving irons. Even some of the better strikers at my club are taking the piss.

lauriesrank

How unlucky was fowler there, nearly holing his tee shot @5. Mon the connelly anyway!

alwaysthereinspirit

Fowler 3" away from a hole in 1 at a par 4

Grace 7 under for his round.

Great golf day

62. First in roughly 600 major championship days. Roughly 50,000+ rounds of golf.

DJ might take it off him with 90 minutes. :D

lauriesrank

62. First in roughly 600 major championship days. Roughly 50,000+ rounds of golf.

An amazing performance.

lauriesrank

Austin Connelly making a name for himself.

I know it's great. I told the guys to back him too. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Samuel Camazzola

An outstanding round. He'll be cursing the par at 15. Will feel like a bogey.

However, the 62 is still a - 8 round. Just like Stenson and Mickelson last year on a par 71 track.

An outstanding round. He'll be cursing the par at 15. Will feel like a bogey.

However, the 62 is still a - 8 round. Just like Stenson and Mickelson last year on a par 71 track.

Tbh it barely matters to the pros whether the par is 70, 71 or 72. A couple of par 5s on a 72 course could just as easily be a couple of long par 4s on a 70. All that matters is the total number of shots to get down. A 62 on a 70 is better than a 63 on a 71. In fact I would rank a 62 on a 70 as better than a 63 on a 72.

Ramsay has made no progress but is still there to hopefully get back in the mix. He has bags of ability but hasn't been in this kind of position very often. He must grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Samuel Camazzola

Tbh it barely matters to the pros whether the par is 70, 71 or 72. A couple of par 5s on a 72 course could just as easily be a couple of long par 4s on a 70. All that matters is the total number of shots to get down. A 62 on a 70 is better than a 63 on a 71. In fact I would rank a 62 on a 70 as better than a 63 on a 72.

I don't think one can be deemed better than the other based on final score alone. Stenson's was done on the final round on a course deemed to be one of the most difficult. He also had his nearest competitor battling with him on the way to a 65.

I don't think one can be deemed better than the other based on final score alone. Stenson's was done on the final round on a course deemed to be one of the most difficult. He also had his nearest competitor battling with him on the way to a 65.

Of course. I agree. There are other factors. Degree of difficulty of a course. Conditions.

Stenson's round was the best ever Open championship round for me.

It's now the Spieth v Kuchar show. McIlroy's bum has fallen off again.

J.T.F.Robertson

And ..... he came in for me at 28/1, when I was home last year. :)

There was an Open many years ago when Sandy Lyle came in with a level or -1 round during savage conditions from start to finish. I seem to remember some of the pros lauding it as perhaps the greatest round ever.

William H. Bonney

I'm surprised one if these arseholes shouting mashed potato or whatever they shout hasn't been lamped by someone.

So ****ing annoying.

Brilliant birdie-birdie finish from Ramsay. Turned a sloppy looking round into a steady one. Yet to have an over par round and only Spieth has a better worst score from 3 rounds. A great chance to get a top 10 major.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone but the Americans and Poulter. Richie would be quite a result. Noren my last hope.

Someone is going to shoot 63 but Spieth will probably go low

1 out it was a 62 but Spieth was always scoring today. Kuchar doesn't have the ammunition to catch him. Koepka just too far back with that 2 shot swing at 18

Much as I am enjoying the golf as always, i must admit to being a touch fed up with all the over the top reactions on commentary to shots.. These guys are very rarely hitting anything less than a short iron at most par fours ,(today par four 500 yds - 3 wood /9 iron???) and as such you would expect lower scoring. The only time they use long irons is off the tee!! I feel all shot making has gone, hitting out the rough makes little difference they still spin the ball. I watched some of the old Open films this week and the level of shot-making was different class. Something has to be done about the golf ball to limit the distance it goes and bring back shot making at this level.

Speith is the best putter in the world and guess what leading comfortably!!

Any thoughts.??

Archived