:arry:

Aye - what happened with him?

Missed it and can't find any info on BBC, Eurosport or letour.fr 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In crash yesterday. Shoulder injury. Unlucky.

Cheers Mikey.

Seems this tour has been a bad one for injuries to the weel-kent blokes. Has it (2017) been particularly bad for losing folk overall compared to other years?

There was a touch of wheels and riders swerved off the road left and right trying to avoid it.

Cummings ended up going down an embankment and flipping over.

Kittel went arse over tit on to his shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGd41u-IGc

Cheers Mikey.

Seems this tour has been a bad one for injuries to the weel-kent blokes. Has it (2017) been particularly bad for losing folk overall compared to other years?

Don't think overall it has been any worse

But losing Porte, Cavendish and Kittell is some of the very top riders. Sagan disqualified as well.

You also lose people on time ie too slow and the main casuality was Demare who won a stage and would have been in contention for other sprints. He was ill.

Don't think overall it has been any worse

But losing Porte, Cavendish and Kittell is some of the very top riders. Sagan disqualified as well.

You also lose people on time ie too slow and the main casuality was Demare who won a stage and would have been in contention for other sprints. He was ill.

And Geraint Thomas of course

All comes down to the TT tomorrow.....or will we see actual racing in Paris for the first time in years?

Craig Gordons Gloves

All comes down to the TT tomorrow.....or will we see actual racing in Paris for the first time in years?

What's the story on that? I remember Lemond and Fignon on the last day but I don't remember in recent years any racing, it

S just been a procession. Is there an unspoken rule about time gap that dictates if there will be racing on the last day?

Lomond and Fignon I think was a time trial.

Fignon was out in front until the last stage.

Makes it an even better race.

Lomond and Fignon I think was a time trial.

Fignon was out in front until the last stage.

Makes it an even better race.

Lemond made use of handlebar extensions and early versions of aero kit and Fignon poo pooed it and went old school on his standard bike. And lost.

Adam Murray

All it takes tomorrow is a puncture, or any other kind of mechanical for Froome and it's game on. Uran is no mug when it comes to time trial either, if him or Bardet can close it down to single figure seconds, then you can bet your boots there'll be proper racing on Sunday.

What's the story on that? I remember Lemond and Fignon on the last day but I don't remember in recent years any racing, it

S just been a procession. Is there an unspoken rule about time gap that dictates if there will be racing on the last day?

Only racing between the sprinters for the stage win on Sunday.

Tomorrow is the last competitive stage for the main 'General Classification'.

Only racing between the sprinters for the stage win on Sunday.

Tomorrow is the last competitive stage for the main 'General Classification'.

For me a very interesting thing would be if Froome had a problem in the time trial and ended up slightly down in second place. My instinct is that Sky are so focussed on victory at any cost they would ignore convention and make the last stage a real competitive one for once to get the victory.

For me a very interesting thing would be if Froome had a problem in the time trial and ended up slightly down in second place. My instinct is that Sky are so focussed on victory at any cost they would ignore convention and make the last stage a real competitive one for once to get the victory.

Even if they did...how could they prevent the leader latching onto Froome's wheel for the whole day?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

In crash yesterday. Shoulder injury. Unlucky.

He'd been struggling before that.

Always quite funny to see the sprinters who dominate and bully people on the flat getting murdered in the hills

jambo in iraq

loving this stage, used to live in Marseille, really cool seeing the tour pass your old appartment. 'Little' climb on the the Notre Dame de la Garde is brutal if short.

Fancy Froome will win this pretty comfortably.

Stade Velodrome to me the best stadium in Europe for atmosphere, looking awesome today!

I wouldn't boo him but I'm not a Froome fan. Can't really put my finger on why. 

chester copperpot

I wouldn't boo him but I'm not a Froome fan. Can't really put my finger on why.

Maybe because he is South African?

I don't like non Brits who become them for the endorsement deals.

Rusedski, Konta et al I know they are tennis but you get what I mean

Its set up nicely for other teams to really go all out to win General Classification next year. This year has to give teams encouragement. And Sky will come back stronger too. Could be some good years ahead.

Sky win for a variety of reasons. Froome is one of the best ever. Clearly they can pay well to get such a strong support team. All the other 'marginal gains' but that's available to other teams too with the right arttitude and letting go of 'tradition'. A crucial difference is Sky focus on GC. They don't bother with stage wins, the sprint or mountains points or sponsorship opportunities like strategic breaks. There are some other strong teams too and they could get close.

French riders have brought the Tour to life too so its being left tomorrow in a good position.

jambo in iraq

They are just booing him because it was probably the first time since Laurent Fignon that they had a Frenchman with a chance of winning the event. Think the obsession  little Englanders had about a Brit winning Wimbledon Pre-Andy Murray and times that by about a 1000 and this will give you an idea of how much they want it to happen.

Lets also be honest as Champions go Froome is about as dull as dishwater!

jambo in iraq

Its set up nicely for other teams to really go all out to win General Classification next year. This year has to give teams encouragement. And Sky will come back stronger too. Could be some good years ahead.

Sky win for a variety of reasons. Froome is one of the best ever. Clearly they can pay well to get such a strong support team. All the other 'marginal gains' but that's available to other teams too with the right arttitude and letting go of 'tradition'. A crucial difference is Sky focus on GC. They don't bother with stage wins, the sprint or mountains points or sponsorship opportunities like strategic breaks. There are some other strong teams too and they could get close.

French riders have brought the Tour to life too so its being left tomorrow in a good position.

agree with this. It almost reminds me of Banesto with Miguel Indurain in the early 90s. They dominated other teams. Felt for some of the riders mainly the Italian lad who was in yellow, he had no team which showed in the end

Froome and Sky to me sum up entirely why radios should be banned in cycling. The flair has been replaced by science.

All roads lead to Gorgie

He is Kenyan born and now lives in Monaco as far as I know so I know what you mean. He is the best all rounder and deserves the victory but he could have done with three or four stage wins to prove the doubters wrong perhaps.

Adam Murray

You have to remember that Froome hasn't won a race this year, not a thing, not even a stage in this Tour, he has been out of form, left by the other GC contenders on the first summit finish, where he also lost yellow, was easily caught by Uran on his one and only attempt to breakaway, was outshone by his team mate (Landa), also a lack of real TT kilometers, one of his specialities, lost his chief super domestic in the first week (Thomas), yet he still won by close on a minute to his nearest rival, heaven forbid he finds a bit of form for next year's Tour.

jambo in iraq

You have to remember that Froome hasn't won a race this year, not a thing, not even a stage in this Tour, he has been out of form, left by the other GC contenders on the first summit finish, where he also lost yellow, was easily caught by Uran on his one and only attempt to breakaway, was outshone by his team mate (Landa), also a lack of real TT kilometers, one of his specialities, lost his chief super domestic in the first week (Thomas), yet he still won by close on a minute to his nearest rival, heaven forbid he finds a bit of form for next year's Tour.

i actually think that Thomas may have been strong enough to attack over him in the mountains much the same as he could have done to Wiggins, i suppose we'll never know! Not that he would have done it being on the same team!

We'll see what Froome's really made of if he's serious about doing the Tour/Giro double this year.

He's not been in great individual form but SKY as a team are almost unbeatable.

We'll see what Froome's really made of if he's serious about doing the Tour/Giro double this year.

He's not been in great individual form but SKY as a team are almost unbeatable.

Well he's missed the Giro.

So I assume you mean Vuelta.

zoltan socrates

Lemond made use of handlebar extensions and early versions of aero kit and Fignon poo pooed it and went old school on his standard bike. And lost.

by eight seconds, some where near 5k km and it came down to that, lemond was well behind at the start of that tt too

jambo in iraq

Well he's missed the Giro.

So I assume you mean Vuelta.

Would very much doubt Froome would be entering the Vuelta to win it, more likely he will be riding for Garaint Thomas or Launda 

Rocco_Jambo

Would very much doubt Froome would be entering the Vuelta to win it, more likely he will be riding for Garaint Thomas or Launda 

No chance Froome enters the Vuelta and rides for someone else in a competition he has never won when he is the strongest rider.

I believe that Landa wanted to be SKY's leader in the Vuelta and sit out the Tour de France but was under team orders to do the Tour.

This is behind all the rumours of unrest at SKY.

We'll see what happens once the Vuelta begins.

Rocco_Jambo

I believe that Landa wanted to be SKY's leader in the Vuelta and sit out the Tour de France but was under team orders to do the Tour.

This is behind all the rumours of unrest at SKY.

We'll see what happens once the Vuelta begins.

He's leaving and will be going to Movistar soon. Highly doubt SKY will be making their strongest rider and the best rider in the world play domestique to someone who will be leaving the team soon. That's before taking in to account that it's Froome's best chance of winning a Grand Tour he has never won.

Toxteth O'Grady

Is there any chance that the Sky rider who is 4th will try to pinch a couple of seconds to get on the podium?

Is there any chance that the Sky rider who is 4th will try to pinch a couple of seconds to get on the podium?

No

If he did no one would ever work with him and he'd need to find another career somewhere like Antarctica

Its actually something they'll have to work a bit hard at to make sure it doesn't happen by accident but Sky will hold back behind the main guys including Bardet to cross the line together

Sky are already hated in France. That would be the icing on the cake for them taking a French rider's podium place.

So, no.

Adam Murray

Maybe if Bardet had been given the original 20 second time penalty for breaking the rules, taking a water bottle in the last 20km, then Sky would have two riders on the podium

Maybe if Bardet had been given the original 20 second time penalty for breaking the rules, taking a water bottle in the last 20km, then Sky would have two riders on the podium

o84mFiK.gif

Greedy_Jambo

Put Froome in team movie star next year instead of landa and see how he gets on.

jambo in iraq

No chance Froome enters the Vuelta and rides for someone else in a competition he has never won when he is the strongest rider.

want to bet? He has done it twice in past for Thomas after winning the Tour

Rocco_Jambo

want to bet? He has done it twice in past for Thomas after winning the Tour

Happily, given that Thomas has only raced in the Vuelta once and on that occasion Froome was struggling and ended up pulling out due to injury.

Adam Murray

Pretty much confirming Froome will race the Vuelta, and race it to win.

https://www.teamsky.com/article/froome-looking-ahead-after-fourth-tour-success

On the elusive Spanish Grand Tour he added: ?The Vuelta is a race I love racing. It?s a vicious race but it?s three weeks that I enjoy. I?ve come second three times now and I?d love to win the Vuelta. To win the Tour and the Vuelta in one year would be absolutely incredible. I?ve got that opportunity now and I?m certainly going to go for it.?
Read more at https://www.teamsky.com/article/froome-looking-ahead-after-fourth-tour-success#lp2BJ4FlCFzQJGdM.99

jambo in iraq

Pretty much confirming Froome will race the Vuelta, and race it to win.

https://www.teamsky.com/article/froome-looking-ahead-after-fourth-tour-success

On the elusive Spanish Grand Tour he added: ?The Vuelta is a race I love racing. It?s a vicious race but it?s three weeks that I enjoy. I?ve come second three times now and I?d love to win the Vuelta. To win the Tour and the Vuelta in one year would be absolutely incredible. I?ve got that opportunity now and I?m certainly going to go for it.?

Read more at https://www.teamsky.com/article/froome-looking-ahead-after-fourth-tour-success#lp2BJ4FlCFzQJGdM.99

I stand corrected! :)

Adam Murray

Would liked to have seen Thomas in the Vuelta, as I feel he still has a big stage race in his legs after crashing out of both the Giro and the Tour early.

Talk of him perhaps doing the Tour of Britain now though, it finishes in Cardiff this year, with the start being in Edinburgh.

I P Knightley

chester copperpot, on 22 Jul 2017 - 7:37 PM, said:

If a cow went into a stable to give birth, you wouldn?t call its offspring a horse. Froome?s parents are both Brits. He was born in Kenya and raised in South Africa.

Rusedski?s mum is British ? although there?s little doubt that his becoming a Brit would have been part-motivated by the sponsorship deals available.

It matters little in either tennis or cycling, though, as these people don?t compete for their country; they?re in it for themselves (Olympics & Davis Cup excepted). If they squeeze a few bucks out of gullible sponsors, fair play to them.

Where it?s grim is in rugby (and I?m sure, a few other sports). International teams like England, Scotland and Ireland are littered with Aussies, Kiwis not good enough for the ABs and South Sea Islanders all nationalised on ?residency? of about 6 months. Sure, the likes of Vunipolas do it to get big bucks like Rusedski et al but then the country goes out and claims ?victory? or success as a nation.

Adam Murray

If a cow went into a stable to give birth, you wouldn?t call its offspring a horse. Froome?s parents are both Brits. He was born in Kenya and raised in South Africa.

Rusedski?s mum is British ? although there?s little doubt that his becoming a Brit would have been part-motivated by the sponsorship deals available.

It matters little in either tennis or cycling, though, as these people don?t compete for their country; they?re in it for themselves (Olympics & Davis Cup excepted). If they squeeze a few bucks out of gullible sponsors, fair play to them.

Where it?s grim is in rugby (and I?m sure, a few other sports). International teams like England, Scotland and Ireland are littered with Aussies, Kiwis not good enough for the ABs and South Sea Islanders all nationalised on ?residency? of about 6 months. Sure, the likes of Vunipolas do it to get big bucks like Rusedski et al but then the country goes out and claims ?victory? or success as a nation.

Football has also been littered with people playing for countries through one loophole or the other, when they've obviously not been good enough to represent their country of birth.

We had our own 'Cockney Jocks' a number of years ago.

Then there was Jack Charlton at the RoI who took it to new levels, was the joke about Ray Houghton not that he was eligible to play for RoI because he once stopped off in Dublin on the way to the US?

I wouldn't fault the people taking advantage of these situations, the rules are there and people are always going to push them to there limits.

Archived