Tour de France 2017

Mikey1874

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wide open this year.

Froome's been injured most of pre-season and hasn't exactly been setting the world alight during the early events of the calendar.

Quintana may crack as usual.

Porte's a possibility.

Then there's all the other usual suspects and outsiders.

Should be an enthralling three weeks of bike racing.

Nasty conditions, lots of crashes, at least one abandon on the first day.

4 of the top ten fastest riders were from SKY and Geraint Thomas took the Yellow Jersey.

Statts1976uk

Probably a good decision from Froome to not tak excessive risks out there, the roads looked treacherous with all that rain. Really glad to see Thomas win the stage, would love to see him get a crack at the GC instead of the domestique role.

Statts1976uk

Big crash coming out of a corner in the time trial. He hit the barrier pretty hard. He might have a broken kneecap amongst other injuries.

All roads lead to Gorgie

What happened to Val Verde

Lost it on a corner and slid into the crowd barrier. Lay on the ground for some time. Looked a sore one as he hit the barrier at some pace. 

So Geraint Thomas won the stage and takes yellow jersey

No tv footage as they never covered him

Shame for Val Verde, was in the best form of his life.

However let's discuss the BMC skin suits, Richjie Porte looks like he's wearing a swimsuit to small for him that's riding up his erse :lol:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Always like Geraint Thomas - deserves his success

Must be on a good contract with Sky otherwise he would be a top rider and GC contender with a lesser team.

It looking great for Cavendish. Big sprint crash for him and looking like a possible collar bone.

And the replays look like it was Sagan that fired him into the barriers with his elbow.

Never fails to amaze me how many sprinters (including Cav) do crazy things like that at 60+kph.

I like Sagan but it will be interesting if he is found guilty if they throw him off the race as he's box office gold.

Adam Murray

And the replays look like it was Sagan that fired him into the barriers with his elbow.

Never fails to amaze me how many sprinters (including Cav) do crazy things like that at 60+kph.

I like Sagan but it will be interesting if he is found guilty if they throw him off the race as he's box office gold.

Looked more damning for Sagan from the helicopter shot, probably just be seen as a racing incident

Sooperstar

Looked worse from the overhead camera. From the front it seems more that his elbow came out after they had made contact.

Looked worse from the overhead camera. From the front it seems more that his elbow came out after they had made contact.

Just what I was about to post. I'm sure the commissars will take their time and look at every view. To be fair I don't think there is a sprinter out there that hasn't done something stupid at some point. And certainly Bouhani has major form for being an arse. Cavendish knew it was a risky manouvre coming up the inside on the barriers but that is one of the reasons he has been so good over the years he goes for the impossible and pulls it off.

Looked more damning for Sagan from the helicopter shot, probably just be seen as a racing incident

Yeah

That Cavendish is going for a tight inside angle that could have forced Sagan off course will be taken into account.

But first viwing it doesn't look good by Sagan. Might just have been a reflex his elbow rising. That's what some peoole are saying.

Never cycled at that speed so don't know.

Sensational

At the time initially thinking it was Cavendish responsible for someone else falling I thought it was a clear dangerous move.

It doesn't look good. I am so surprised at Sagan who just had to hold his line.

Not sure if appeal is possible.

Adam Murray

The overhead view certainly does Sagan no favours, but looking at it from the front it looks as though the elbow comes out after Cav is on his way down, solely to try to keep upright.

Hopefully he can appeal and get's re-instated, as he's one of the best cyclists to watch, on all terrain

Sagan also caused the crash that caused G to crash, piled through the middle lof 2 FDJ and down they went.

Crazy scenes

The overhead view certainly does Sagan no favours, but looking at it from the front it looks as though the elbow comes out after Cav is on his way down, solely to try to keep upright.

Hopefully he can appeal and get's re-instated, as he's one of the best cyclists to watch, on all terrain

One of the Director sportifs had said it's deserved, compared it to event previously; renshaw getting DQ'd for head butting in a sprint a few years back.

Very dangerous actions at that speed by Sagan today

siegementality

Sagan DQ'd

Rightly to. Regardless of all that was going on that elbow was deliberate, albeit I am sure he didn't know who he was elbowing.

Rightly to. Regardless of all that was going on that elbow was deliberate, albeit I am sure he didn't know who he was elbowing.

I know absolutely nothing about cycling but enjoy the Tour but it looked like he had a couple of digs at it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I believe it was right to DQ Sagan as it was highly dangerous to use an elbow so close to the barrier. It would have been OK in a more central position and probably wouldn't have caused anything more than angry looks at the end. Cav maybe didn't choose the right line though and in hindsight he could maybe have swept round to the riders left as they drifted right. Drifting loses time and a straight charge to the line would maybe have paid dividends. 

Sagan also guilty imo of dangerous cycling in the earlier crash which took down group with yellow jersey.

Cavendish out of the race now, broken shoulder confirmed.

Wow - 2 potential stage winners gone just like that. Opens the door for some of those previously less likely now.

There was talk of an appeal. But its a final decision with no appeal. Sagan has left and is on his way home.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Yesterday was racing. Cav wasnt entirely blameless. The best clip I saw showed Cav sticking the head in (he has previous for this)

Unfortunately he came off second best yesterday against a burlier opponent.

The elbow was after the event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMSRbpOLIAk&feature=youtu.be

Yesterday was racing. Cav wasnt entirely blameless. The best clip I saw showed Cav sticking the head in (he has previous for this)

Unfortunately he came off second best yesterday against a burlier opponent.

The elbow was after the event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMSRbpOLIAk&feature=youtu.be

Sagan changed his line. Is something he does. He is to blame. 

Happens in sprints. It's a shame but I think DQ is a bit harsh. He's a bit mad, Sagan but Cav is no angel and neither of them are Abdoujaparov.

Happens in sprints. It's a shame but I think DQ is a bit harsh. He's a bit mad, Sagan but Cav is no angel and neither of them are Abdoujaparov.

Loved Abdou!

So a good stage today helping everyone move on.

Ominously for the others Chris Froome takes the yellow jersey. But there is competition so could be really interesting.

Aru was strong but who knows what the Giro has taken out of him in terms of staying power as the race goes on.

Hats off to her.. I used to watch a lot of the Tour and enjoyed watching Millars mad long lone attacks.  

Will add even more expert analysis to what is a very good offering from ITV 4.

5 hours live coverage is a challenge ITV are meeting well. Lots of good interviews. I've watched / listened to a couple of full days and its been good.

Always preferred Eurosport for TDF coverage.

ITV4 commentators are a bunch of boring sods. Chris Boardman in particular spends hours banging on about nonsense things like what kind of paint is on the bikes, what shape water bottles should be and other tedious nerdy boring pish.

Sooperstar

ITV4 commentators are a bunch of boring sods. Chris Boardman in particular spends hours banging on about nonsense things like what kind of paint is on the bikes, what shape water bottles should be and other tedious nerdy boring pish.

Is there way to make a large group of folk cycling together for 5 and a half hours exciting?

Is there way to make a large group of folk cycling together for 5 and a half hours exciting?

Random landmines at intervals through the stage. Or trained attack animals of some kind, like furious raccoons. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I quite like the historical things they point out along the route but on days when I can watch a whole stage I sometimes turn the sound off and just watch the scenery pass by. It is a bit like test cricket in days gone by when they talked about cakes and things.

That should have been a dead heat today is all I can say.

Craig Gordons Gloves

NBCSN commentary is fantastic, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.  Reminds me of the days when it was on channel 4.

Watching last night and there are 2 kids waving a Dutch flag in the background.  Liggett comments "and there we have 2 kids flying the french flag"

Love it. 

NBCSN commentary is fantastic, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin.  Reminds me of the days when it was on channel 4.

Watching last night and there are 2 kids waving a Dutch flag in the background.  Liggett comments "and there we have 2 kids flying the french flag"

Love it.

Towards the end of their stint on ITV4 it sounded increasingly like Paul Sherwen was Phil Liggett's carer, as Sherwen was constantly having to correct Liggett s mistakes.

Also Liggett was still defending Lance Armstrong right up to the Oprah confession. Couldn't really take him seriously after that.

Jeezo - a winning margin of 0.0003 seconds over a ride of 5h 03 min 16 sec.

Archived