Tour de France 2017

Mikey1874

So after 2 days of stages ending in sprints this weekend is where the real race for the overall winner gets interesting with mountain stages.

It seems fairly open but maybe not by Sunday.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All roads lead to Gorgie

The tour really needs a breakaway win in a stage to make it complete imo. Sprint finishes are great to watch as are the climbers battling it out in the mountains but lets hope we see a breakaway win soon.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Well I got my wish for a breakaway. 

Calmejane suffering cramp but kept a decent gap.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Only turned on the TV for the last bit of the climb and by reports it was more a splintering of the group rather than a breakaway. Last man standing so to speak. 

Aye good solid group broke away early on and he went on a solo attack at the start of the last climb.

He'll suffer for riding through the cramp but it was worth it for the win.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Aye good solid group broke away early on and he went on a solo attack at the start of the last climb.

He'll suffer for riding through the cramp but it was worth it for the win.

The French are having a good tour with a win in the sprints and now a mountain stage too.

The French are having a good tour with a win in the sprints and now a mountain stage too.

If they can get a French winner on Bastille Day the place will go bananas

That descent from Mont De Chat was terrifying on the Dauphine. And to come after 3 HC climbs is going to be a real challenge. That's my Sunday afternoon sorted then.

Greedy_Jambo

I've got a couple of small each way bets on Majka and Pantano today.

Just to give me a bit more interest in the race.

It's been a bit of a bore fest so far.

Disqualifying Peter Sagan hasn't helped.

Greedy_Jambo

Decent race today

Best day so far..

Looking like Contador has been caught out so I'm hopeful that Pantano goes for the win.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Geraint Thomas took a bad one but back on the bike well back. Froome six minutes off the front will be hoping Thomas gets back up with his team. 

Thomas out now with collar bone gone.

Greedy_Jambo

Contandor managed to get back with the group now.

He's so passed it now.

In theory the whole race is now open

But actually likely to be back to the main contenders

Not really a question for today but no doubt I'll forget to ask it on a mass sprint finish day!!

What gear would the sprinters be in when they're going for it and would they be changing gears at all on the run-in? I know...it'll depend on gradient but let's assume a flat one.

Also...wouldn't an aerial view of a sprint finish be better for the TV viewer than the head-on one we normally get live.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Some nice vineyards back there. I wonder what verieties they grow in the Jura. 

Not really a question for today but no doubt I'll forget to ask it on a mass sprint finish day!!

What gear would the sprinters be in when they're going for it and would they be changing gears at all on the run-in? I know...it'll depend on gradient but let's assume a flat one.

Also...wouldn't an aerial view of a sprint finish be better for the TV viewer than the head-on one we normally get live.

They click up through the gears from the point the pace starts to pick up so by the time the balls out stuff starts they will be in top. The last couple of hundred metres is basically using the bike like a track bike. Big gear, no brakes, and hang on.

Toxteth O'Grady

Some nice vineyards back there. I wonder what verieties they grow in the Jura. 

Jura wine is French wine produced in the Jura d?partement. Located between Burgundy and Switzerland, this cool climate wine regionproduces wines with some similarity to Burgundy and Swiss wine. Jura wines are distinctive and unusual wines, the most famous being vin jaune, which is made by a similar process to Sherry, developing under a flor-like strain of yeast. This is made from the local Savagnin grape variety. Other grape varieties include PoulsardTrousseau, and Chardonnay. Other wine styles found in Jura includes a vin de paille made from Chardonnay, Poulsard and Savagnin, a sparkling Cr?mant du Jura made from slightly unripe Chardonnay grapes, and a vin de liqueurknown as Macvin du Jura made by adding marc to halt fermentation. The French chemist Louis Pasteur was born and raised in the Jura region and owned a vineyard near Arbois that is still producing wine today under the management of Jura's largest wine firms:

Source Wiki

Toxteth O'Grady

Lots of wee attacks - is Quintana waiting for his chance?

nah he looks cooked

Big crash. Porte wipes out Dan Martin.

Doesn't look good for Porte.

Toxteth O'Grady

Ouch!

Porte took a bad one and Martin brought down.

Porte out now

Ouch..Porte has a heavy fall on the descent and takes Martin with him..Porte will be out of the race now

Martin got on a new bike but has crashed again

3 of the top 5 at the start of todays stage out of contention

All roads lead to Gorgie

Jura wine is French wine produced in the Jura d?partement. Located between Burgundy and Switzerland, this cool climate wine regionproduces wines with some similarity to Burgundy and Swiss wine. Jura wines are distinctive and unusual wines, the most famous being vin jaune, which is made by a similar process to Sherry, developing under a flor-like strain of yeast. This is made from the local Savagnin grape variety. Other grape varieties include PoulsardTrousseau, and Chardonnay. Other wine styles found in Jura includes a vin de paille made from Chardonnay, Poulsard and Savagnin, a sparkling Cr?mant du Jura made from slightly unripe Chardonnay grapes, and a vin de liqueurknown as Macvin du Jura made by adding marc to halt fermentation. The French chemist Louis Pasteur was born and raised in the Jura region and owned a vineyard near Arbois that is still producing wine today under the management of Jura's largest wine firms:

Source Wiki

Cheers for that. You deserve a drink. :2thumbsup: 

Toxteth O'Grady

Cheers for that. You deserve a drink. :2thumbsup:

I'll have a bottle of Red with Sunday dinner

Cracking days racing today for the viewer -  tough one for the riders

All roads lead to Gorgie

Froome has ridden this stage really well.

Amazing win for Uran. Riding the last few K stuck in the same gear.

Though the big thing is just hoping that Richie Porte is ok. That was a pretty horrific crash. I get the feeling he isn't a rider who is happy taking chances and has a fear of crashing, for example that amount of time he lost on stage 1 as he wouldn't push in the wet conditions.

Seeing that crash again it is lucky that he bounced right as opposed to left as that was a hefty drop into the trees.

Lucky tomorrow is a rest day, it'll take 24 hours to absorb all that happened today!

Looks like a two horse race for the GC now between Froome and Aru.

Froome caught on camera trying to take someone out. Proper ###### that man is

I can't feckin stick him. Even when he was number 2 to Wiggins he annoyed me. I can't really put me finger on why.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can't feckin stick him. Even when he was number 2 to Wiggins he annoyed me. I can't really put me finger on why.

It is funny that when he speaks he seems quite a humble guy but when racing he seems to be a bit paranoid that everyone is out to get him and he starts acting up too much with his competitors. His performances are a bit metronomic and unspectacular for the spectators who maybe like to see the more off the cuff type of riders who take more risks. 

Broken clavicle and pelvis for Porte!

Luckily just a hairline on the pelvis and his team reckon he could be back in training by the end of the season.

Broken clavicle and pelvis for Porte!

Luckily just a hairline on the pelvis and his team reckon he could be back in training by the end of the season.

Good news

Looked worse and 'lucky' the impacts weren't worse

Brave guys these cyclists

Good news

Looked worse and 'lucky' the impacts weren't worse

Brave guys these cyclists

I was talking about this at the weekend. People always talk about F1 drivers deserving the big money as it's such a dangerous sport. Yet apart the sad death of Jules Bianchi when was the last time a drivers was seriously injured in a race? Massa in Hungary?

So far in this TdF we have had withdrawals with a broken knee, a couple of broken collar bones, a broken shoulder, and now Porte. Also a rider in the Giro Rosa in Italy is in a critical condition after she crashed on a descent.

Professional bike riders are tough, tough people.

I've seen riders finish stages with broken arms, collarbones, even an ankle!

Every top rider has had several broken bones in their career but still get back on the bike after rehab and carry on with the sport.

Sprints are shit without Cavendish and Sagan

And you can tell Marcel Kittel I said that

The tour is always pish until it hits the big consecutive days up in the mountains.

The Pyrenees and Alps are where the real race happens.

The tour is always pish until it hits the big consecutive days up in the mountains.

The Pyrenees and Alps are where the real race happens.

It's a badly planned route this year with the climbs scattered about the place.

It's a badly planned route this year with the climbs scattered about the place.

Just the UCI trying to stop SKY and Froome from tanning it again.

Not done them much good so far.

:jjyay:

Archived