Tour de France 2017

Mikey1874

Rocco_Jambo

If a cow went into a stable to give birth, you wouldn?t call its offspring a horse. Froome?s parents are both Brits. He was born in Kenya and raised in South Africa.

Rusedski?s mum is British ? although there?s little doubt that his becoming a Brit would have been part-motivated by the sponsorship deals available.

It matters little in either tennis or cycling, though, as these people don?t compete for their country; they?re in it for themselves (Olympics & Davis Cup excepted). If they squeeze a few bucks out of gullible sponsors, fair play to them.

Where it?s grim is in rugby (and I?m sure, a few other sports). International teams like England, Scotland and Ireland are littered with Aussies, Kiwis not good enough for the ABs and South Sea Islanders all nationalised on ?residency? of about 6 months. Sure, the likes of Vunipolas do it to get big bucks like Rusedski et al but then the country goes out and claims ?victory? or success as a nation.

Froome's Mother was also born in Kenya. She is of British lineage. Born and brought up in Kenya by a Kenyan born mother and a British born father. He's certainly on the face of it more Kenyan than British. Obviously he is part British and likely would prefer to Cycle for Britain rather than kenya given the benefits and that is the rules but you can hardly blame people for not feeling a massive association to someone born elsewhere who has never really lived in the UK.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zoltan socrates

If you are allowed to choose your gender identity so readily then i see no problem with froome choosing to be british, if that is what he identifies as then who is anyone to complain?

• 5 weeks later...

The back to back achievement if he does it is unprecedented I believe in sense vuelta has been brought forward month.

Britain's greatest ever sportsman I'd wager though that will never be a popular view cos he ain't popular.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived