Europa Cup

martoon

Watt-Zeefuik

Trakai 1-0 up against Shkendija.

Yes I still follow their results and yes I still blame Cathro for us failing to qualify.

Prick.

Love the EL at all stages and wish I could get more coverage of it.  Great international competition that for a while is largely absent of the money-bloated clubs.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the EL at all stages and wish I could get more coverage of it. Great international competition that for a while is largely absent of the money-bloated clubs.

I dislike the way the Europa is set up. It's like a drop in centre for distressed Champions League clubs who've fallen on hard times. Many more clubs could have access to European football if so many spaces weren't set aside for CL failures.

Not having a pop at you, bud, just UEFA.

Was the same for the Celtic game last night

But it's utterly shambolic that the game isn't on any sort of viewable Tv today

I get and understand that they want folk to subscribe to Celtic to/ Red Tv(the Aberdeen version) but as far as I can see (and happy to be corrected) there is no way of being in the uk and watching this game tonight (or last night)?

Audio only but international viewers could get a video feed, why? Utterly stupid

At least Hearts had the good sense last year to make it available to U.K. Subscribers for both home legs last year.

Literally almost every other country in Europe has teams

Playing in champions league qualifiers/Europa league qualifiers and it's on their domestic tele in some form, Scotland? Na no thanks

Although premier sports are showing both teams Away legs next week and albeit it's ?9.99 a month to suscribe to them, at least they are putting the money in unlike the Beeb or even stv

So true...good post

Watt-Zeefuik

I dislike the way the Europa is set up. It's like a drop in centre for distressed Champions League clubs who've fallen on hard times. Many more clubs could have access to European football if so many spaces weren't set aside for CL failures.

Not having a pop at you, bud, just UEFA.

I agree and think UEFA are ruining it, particularly in the later stages, but reading the scores from the early rounds I feel like I'm reading about real football clubs not entertainment franchises.

Another goal for Christie. Certainly making an impact early on for them.

Was the same for the Celtic game last night

But it's utterly shambolic that the game isn't on any sort of viewable Tv today

I get and understand that they want folk to subscribe to Celtic to/ Red Tv(the Aberdeen version) but as far as I can see (and happy to be corrected) there is no way of being in the uk and watching this game tonight (or last night)?

Audio only but international viewers could get a video feed, why? Utterly stupid

At least Hearts had the good sense last year to make it available to U.K. Subscribers for both home legs last year.

Literally almost every other country in Europe has teams

Playing in champions league qualifiers/Europa league qualifiers and it's on their domestic tele in some form, Scotland? Na no thanks

Although premier sports are showing both teams Away legs next week and albeit it's ?9.99 a month to suscribe to them, at least they are putting the money in unlike the Beeb or even stv

While BT Sport have exclusive rights to TV coverage of the group stages onwards, for the qualifiers I believe it's up to the host club to sell the TV rights. Celtic and Aberdeen have opted not to do that in hope of a bigger crowd.

Christie and GMS are superb signings for Aberdeen. God knows why Levein wasn't aware they were available.

Coburg Hearts

That is a strong Aberdeen team and bench.

Wiould pump us senseless unfortunately.

We shall see. They were going to pump us too in the season we got relegated..................didn't happen.

rick witter

Christie and GMS are superb signings for Aberdeen. God knows why Levein wasn't aware they were available.

They would pick Aberdeen before Hearts anyway in my opinion. Getting to cup finals and second place in the league or struggling to make the top 6!!

They would pick Aberdeen before Hearts anyway in my opinion. Getting to cup finals and second place in the league or struggling to make the top 6!!

Yeah we have to accept Aberdeen are ahead of us right now thanks to our implosion under Romanov. They have built up a good head of steam, have a stable manager and more money to spend.

I do think off the pitch we are in a much stronger position though in terms of our whole setup, including the youth system, new stand and FoH, which will see us overtake them before long.

rick witter

Yeah we have to accept Aberdeen are ahead of us right now thanks to our implosion under Romanov. They have built up a good head of steam, have a stable manager and more money to spend.

I do think off the pitch we are in a much stronger position though in terms of our whole setup, including the youth system, new stand and FoH, which will see us overtake them before long.

All fair points mate. I just wish we were even linked with some of the players Aberdeen have signed to at least give the players a choice to make but we seem to be going down a completely different route which baffles me to be honest. How many times have we said tried and tested experienced players who know this league are what we should be looking at. Was a great start with Berra and Lafferty but I'm not so sure now with the players we are getting linked with

All fair points mate. I just wish we were even linked with some of the players Aberdeen have signed to at least give the players a choice to make but we seem to be going down a completely different route which baffles me to be honest. How many times have we said tried and tested experienced players who know this league are what we should be looking at. Was a great start with Berra and Lafferty but I'm not so sure now with the players we are getting linked with

They can offer more money than us for some players and they have a stable management team its pretty simple why players are going there.

Bazzas right boot

That Aberdeen squad (and manager) are miles ahead of us unfortunately.

Surprised, what 6 years in the making?

In past years I'd have fully expected us to get one or more of Christie, Hayes, McLean, Rooney, Nial McGinn and McGinn at Hibs when they became available. We just weren't in a position to do it at the time in terms of stability for the player, wages and transfer/development fees. Aberdeen in particular have had it all their own way for 4 or 5 years in terms of being the most attractive non-OF option for good players happy to stay in Scotland. Not anymore though..

Bazzas right boot

Yea, we are on year 4 I suppose.

Aye, first season in the championship after admin. Not quite the same

They are at least two years ahead, possibly 3/4.

Cathro has also been her 6 months, no 6 years.

Ffs see the score is 1-1, interest picked up, turn on radio commentary and the Cypriots immediately get a player sent off :D

JamboCampbell

Aberdeen will go out. Strong Scottish team with what we consider good players but in truth theyr shite, hence playing up here.

Good luck to them though, admire the job they have done last couple of years.

Wonder what odds you'd get at the moment on Cathro being employed by Hearts for 6 years....?! Come to think of it I wonder what odds you'd get on him being employed another 6 months by Hearts.

kingantti1874

Surprised, what 6 years in the making?

There team bears no relation to the one from 3 years ago..

Lucille's Thirsty

They go for players I hope we start going for.

kingantti1874

:rofl: McInnes walked into Craig browns team and made them better instantly.. Because that's what good Managers do

Bazzas right boot

Same manager, continuous improvement.

Anyway, off topic.

Same manager, continuous improvement.

Anyway, off topic.

Yes but we have Levein. His whole role means we are supposed to have continuity. Changing head coach shouldn't be a disaster for us.

Lucille's Thirsty

Everton struggling to breakdown a Slovakian side.

ITV4.

Edit 1-0.

Lucille's Thirsty

Liam McLeod screeching over the airwaves as he almost ejaculates...cue for me to turn off.

He is an awful commentator.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

:rofl: McInnes walked into Craig browns team and made them better instantly.. Because that's what good Managers do

Let's be honest it wasn't hard to improve Craig Browns team. They lost a semi-final against the 5 1 team

Let's be honest it wasn't hard to improve Craig Browns team. They lost a semi-final against the 5 1 team

Took them from losing to that shite to the second best team in the land. Great manager. Always though he would be when they done a special on him learning from Alan McGraw.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Took them from losing to that shite to the second best team in the land. Great manager. Always though he would be when they done a special on him learning from Alan McGraw.

He has done well at Aberdeen. Taken most of the opportunity but by his own admission one trophy is not a legacy. One of the reasons he has stayed

Everton showing again how there are just no easy games in these qualifiers. Rooney is blowing out his arse in that interview LOL

Great is pushing it. He's done well with what he's been given in terms of budget, which is a lot more than most managers, but he's also taken advantage of a crazy time in Scottish football when the top league has been missing teams like us, Rangers and Hibs who would normally help provide stuffer opposition over the full season. See also Tommy Wright. The next season or two will be the real test of them. To be fair McInnes has started well. As someone else has said one trophy is a poor return. He needs another (or even just some more finals) or a better than average European run to be considered anywhere near a great manager.

Bazzas right boot

Like Nielson?

Did Innes take over in January?

I can't be bothered looking, the fact is that Aberdeen have had consistencey, they are getting some benefit from that over us.

cba arsed arguing over McInnes or Aberdeen tbh.

Yes but we have Levein. His whole role means we are supposed to have continuity. Changing head coach shouldn't be a disaster for us.

It probably wouldn't have been if it hadn't happened when it did.

It's worth recalling Levein's original plan:

Neilson: HC

Cathro: U20s (primed to take over from Neilson in 2-3 years)

Skacel: Technical coach

Craig Gordon: Goalie and goalie coach

Not everything works out the way you want it to but it's hard to criticise Levein's vision.

Liam McLeod screeching over the airwaves as he almost ejaculates...cue for me to turn off.

Annoying when he roars suddenly for no apparent reason.

So Aberdeen are hanging on by a thread against a team from Cyprus

Cyprus.

Is that how far we be shrunk.

Certainly puts us in our place. In retrospect we should have seen Birky as warm favourites.

Cyprus.

Is that how far we be shrunk.

Certainly puts us in our place. In retrospect we should have seen Birky as warm favourites.

What are you dribbling about..

IveSeenTheLight

They are a team that made the group stages twice recently.

They were a very decent team tonight. Very comfortable on the ball with pace throughout the side.

Not one player was a slouch and all very good technical players.

It was actually a very good game to watch.

Not sure why the Cypriot teams are so good given the size of the nation.

I expect they will score next week, but tactically, we hopefully will do enough to wear them down and maybe get a goal ourselves.

They are a team that made the group stages twice recently.

They were a very decent team tonight. Very comfortable on the ball with pace throughout the side.

Not one player was a slouch and all very good technical players.

It was actually a very good game to watch.

Not sure why the Cypriot teams are so good given the size of the nation.

I expect they will score next week, but tactically, we hopefully will do enough to wear them down and maybe get a goal ourselves.

They're not good. We are utter rubbish.

IveSeenTheLight

They're not good. We are utter rubbish.

You speak like a person who knows nothing about football ;)

Archived