Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

Glamorgan Jambo

Next time I see Warnock in the local supermarket (he's in most days when he's here as I think his family are elsewhere) I'll bend his ear about looking after Dr Funk. He always takes the time to talk to anyone and is pretty much instantly recognisable with his prominent teeth, gilet, and usually a pair of wrap around sunglasses.

Hopefully this is a great move for Callum. I do believe Warnock has been given a small amount of cash by the owner (Vincent Tan) with the aim of getting into the playoffs next season although if they start the season badly one of them will snap and he'll be gone by Christmas.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck to a brilliant young hearts lad.

He was a real character, Loved hearts and hated hibs.

I hope we find more of his type soon.

• 3 months later...

Callum starts for Cardiff U23s tonight.

They've listed him as 'Patterson' but I've had it confirmed its Callum.

Will be in their starting line up in no time.

Callum starts for Cardiff U23s tonight.

They've listed him as 'Patterson' but I've had it confirmed its Callum.

Cardiff have now corrected their error listing the team at half time - now 'Paterson'

Well done

Edited by Mikey1874

King Of The Cat Cafe

Great to hear this. Best of luck to him.

This.

I sometimes questioned his defensive abilities, but never his passion or his eye for goal.

A fully fit Callum will do well for Cardiff and - we hope - Scotland.

Good luck to him, good to hear he is back playing....not long till full team hopefully.

Seconded. I would love to see him get a big money move to one of the elite clubs and then be a first team player there. And that wish is absolutely nothing to do with any money we would receive as a result, everything to do with seeing Callum flourish in his career.

Paterson can go on to be a top player at an EPL side. Also remember we still hold some interest in where he goes next as we get 20% of his next transfer fee.

Even a ?5M move which is pennies down there would get us ?1M.

Stephen Muddie

Paterson can go on to be a top player at an EPL side. Also remember we still hold some interest in where he goes next as we get 20% of his next transfer fee.

Reckon he's easy a ?10million player down there if he can regain top form and continue to be beast

You sure its as high as 20%?

Reckon he's easy a ?10million player down there if he can regain top form and continue to be beast

If he can have an explosive first season then I wouldn't disagree with this figure, given the money being bandied about down there.

15% sell on fee.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/neil-warnock-hearts-get-sell-on-clause-in-callum-paterson-deal-1-4468817/amp

While I like Calum and hope he does really well, not least for the sell on fee, I personally don't think he is in the same bracket as Robertson or Tierney so can't see him being a regular starter for Scotland.

When you look at the money down there a ?10 million move to a Crystal Palace/Huddersfield/Bournemouth/West Brom wouldn't be out of the question.

While I like Calum and hope he does really well, not least for the sell on fee, I personally don't think he is in the same bracket as Robertson or Tierney so can't see him being a regular starter for Scotland.

When you look at the money down there a ?10 million move to a Crystal Palace/Huddersfield/Bournemouth/West Brom wouldn't be out of the question.

Whilst it's difficult to argue that Callum is as good a footballer as the two players mentioned I'd argue that neither Tierney nor Robertson are natural right backs so he has every chance of being a regular starter for the NT. He is possibly less talented than either but he's probably more suited to English football than they are. He is taller and much, much better in the air than either Robertson or Tierney. He's significantly bigger of frame and stronger than either. He is much more of a goal threat (Tierney 4 career goals, Robertson 12, Paterson 38). Callum has his faults but so do Tierney and Robertson and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Callum playing for one of the top teams in the EPL in 2-3 seasons (if there are no issues with the injury)

rudi must stay

Would agree with this. Tierney now has it all (even a goal or two in his locker) and Robertson is a very consistent player with a great work ethic, but Paterson will have a respectable career. I can see him playing in the Premiership one day, possibly with Cardiff as I think that's a shrewder move than people thought

Whilst it's difficult to argue that Callum is as good a footballer as the two players mentioned I'd argue that neither Tierney nor Robertson are natural right backs so he has every chance of being a regular starter for the NT. He is possibly less talented than either but he's probably more suited to English football than they are. He is taller and much, much better in the air than either Robertson or Tierney. He's significantly bigger of frame and stronger than either. He is much more of a goal threat (Tierney 4 career goals, Robertson 12, Paterson 38). Callum has his faults but so do Tierney and Robertson and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Callum playing for one of the top teams in the EPL in 2-3 seasons (if there are no issues with the injury)

I agree re being naturally right sided however I think Strachan will try and play what are probably our 2 best players and Tierney didn't look out of place on the right.  He's also a unit so I don't think there is much between him and Paterson with regards to strength.

It will be interesting to see where they all end up and quite frustrating that Robertson and Tierney have come through in the same position at the same time.  No arguing with Paterson's goal ratio and like I said would love him to go right to the very top.  I just don't see him having the footballing abilities to make it to that elite level.  No doubt he can have a very good career down south and if Hearts benefit by a couple of million then even better.

Paterson will only be at his best once fully fit. It's his number one asset and allows him along with his desire to be physically dominant but I wonder if he'll just be another fish in a big pond there and not stand out they way he did in our league. I expect they'll not see the best of him until next year.

It's Paterson's goal scoring record that could help him go toe to toe with Tierney for a start in a Scotland squad, if he can keep up what he did at Hearts

Edited by kila

If they develop him as a right midfielder he'll be a shoein for scotland there. He's exactly what we need in the national team - an all action player the fans and his team mates can respond to.

If they develop him as a right midfielder he'll be a shoein for scotland there. He's exactly what we need in the national team - an all action player the fans and his team mates can respond to.

He has that potential to contribute so much to a game that you might be tempted to find him a place somewhere.

It might not be about getting the right back position

He has that potential to contribute so much to a game that you might be tempted to find him a place somewhere.

It might not be about getting the right back position

Can even throw him up front when needed. A better option than Martin when chasing a game IMO.

Callum played another U23s for Cardiff yesterday. 4-0 win. I'm not sure if he played 90 minutes. He was listed in team sheet as right back but can't confirm.

letsalldothebeattie

Great to see him back playing and working towards full fitness. Sooner he's back fit and playing first team football the better for him & Scotland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tierney and Robertson are better left backs than Callum but he is a better right back. I've only really seen Tierney for the national team playing out of position and didn't think he looked a good player at all. I accept he may be miles ahead in his own position.

the jambo poet

I agree re being naturally right sided however I think Strachan will try and play what are probably our 2 best players and Tierney didn't look out of place on the right. He's also a unit so I don't think there is much between him and Paterson with regards to strength.

It will be interesting to see where they all end up and quite frustrating that Robertson and Tierney have come through in the same position at the same time. No arguing with Paterson's goal ratio and like I said would love him to go right to the very top. I just don't see him having the footballing abilities to make it to that elite level. No doubt he can have a very good career down south and if Hearts benefit by a couple of million then even better.

Tierney was awful in our last 2 games and clearly out of position. He constantly went inside looking for a pass as would not use his right foot...and this against weaker opposition. If not inside he went back the way and constantly slowed the play down. A big standard right footed right back would have done miles better. The position is Callum's if he wants it and can prove he deserves to be there.

Tierney and Robertson are better left backs than Callum but he is a better right back. I've only really seen Tierney for the national team playing out of position and didn't think he looked a good player at all. I accept he may be miles ahead in his own position.

Tierney and Robertson are the first choice full backs for years to come, or certainly for as long as Strachan is there. Callum might just about be 3rd choice, but he isn't as good as either of them (even Tierney on the opposite to natural side is a better full back)

Once fit, if Paterson is to propel himself into the Scotland team, it'll have to be in a  position other than full back.

If we paid ?5M to get him back, atleast we'd get a ?1M sell on fee. :)

It would be better to buy him for ?10 million. Then we'd get twice as much sell-on fee. :uhoh2:

Tierney and Robertson are the first choice full backs for years to come, or certainly for as long as Strachan is there. Callum might just about be 3rd choice, but he isn't as good as either of them (even Tierney on the opposite to natural side is a better full back)

Once fit, if Paterson is to propel himself into the Scotland team, it'll have to be in a position other than full back.

Disagree. Tierney never hits the byline on the right, was constantly cutting inside and struggles to show attackers away from goal. This was against Lithuania; against a decent side he'd be shredded.

We are unlucky to have two good players in the same position, shoehorning them into other positions isn't the answer.

Disagree. Tierney never hits the byline on the right, was constantly cutting inside and struggles to show attackers away from goal. This was against Lithuania; against a decent side he'd be shredded.

We are unlucky to have two good players in the same position, shoehorning them into other positions isn't the answer.

With Kingsley we have three quality left backs.

I think Tierney is the best option in any position in defence and with the lack of CB options for Scotland, I can see him moving to CB once Paterson hits a bit of form and fitness at RB.