Paterson at Cardiff ( merged )

kila

50 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

tbf, I think this, but limited v top end EPL, not limited for where he is.

He is at a very good level, but I think v Robertson/ Teirny for example he is limited. but that's, not a criticism, nothing wrong with the level he is at. 

Hopefully he scores a few goals, maybe even 1 high profile goal, see him going for £15m give or take in Jan. Not bad for being limited!

Limited players are going for £20m down there......

He's no where near Robertson's level, but he's done far more in his career than Tierney.  Playing for Celtic at the moment is like playing for Real Madrid if Barcelona went bust, or vice versa - a walk in the park.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

• kila

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hungry hippo
18 minutes ago, benny said:

I know Callum asked for a sell on clause but did Cardiff agree to the 15% for definite. 

Link confirms we definitely got a sell-on clause. Doesn't confirm it was 15% but it has been said often.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/neil-warnock-hearts-get-sell-on-clause-in-callum-paterson-deal-1-4468817

Watched the good man today against Burton. He came on for the last half an hour. Scored a decent goal from about 20 odd yards. The thing I noticed is he has bulked up even more. I think the phrase is proper unit?

Temps didn't play for Burton because he is injured..........again.

Scnorthedinburgh
On 20/07/2018 at 21:07, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

tbf, I think this, but limited v top end EPL, not limited for where he is.

He is at a very good level, but I think v Robertson/ Teirny for example he is limited. but that's, not a criticism, nothing wrong with the level he is at. 

Hopefully he scores a few goals, maybe even 1 high profile goal, see him going for £15m give or take in Jan. Not bad for being limited!

Limited players are going for £20m down there......

He isn't full back now center mid for Cardiff. Still says he thinks he is a centre half.

Heartsofgold

If Paterson becomes a goal scoring threat from the centre of midfield in the EPL the hopefully one of the big teams will spend silly money on him.  I'm talking £50 million +.  Possibly a pipe dream but you never know.

17 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

If Paterson becomes a goal scoring threat from the centre of midfield in the EPL the hopefully one of the big teams will spend silly money on him.  I'm talking £50 million +.  Possibly a pipe dream but you never know.

£50m might seem a bit OTT, but when you look at some of the transfer fees in the EPL, if he can bang in 10+ goals from midfield, he could certainly attract > £20m.

Looking ahead at the talent that is coming through our Academy, the real return on our investment might not come from the initial transfer fees we achieve when we eventually sell the best prospects to an English club, but from the sell-on clauses if these guys go  on to achieve good things down there.

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Watched the good man today against Burton. He came on for the last half an hour. Scored a decent goal from about 20 odd yards. The thing I noticed is he has bulked up even more. I think the phrase is proper unit?

He's becoming a brilliant player. I'm quite sure he'll do himself proud next season

Sepp's Bladder
7 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Shame.

He was becoming a bit of a 1/2 trick pony. Although the hun move- in my opinion helped us - would love to have seen him kick on. Injuries may define his career.

On 20/07/2018 at 22:06, dryJTlaw said:

And to think some Hibs pals think he's limited !!!!

Hibs most successful player in 2 generations is Lewis Stephenson. I shall not waste time typing anymore than that.

Cardiff play Newcastle at home on the 18th Aug, 12:30 SS1.

Will be a good watch! Though league cup last 16 that weekend..

• 3 weeks later...

This game is of poor quality. Both these teams need to improve to stay in the league.

Kenedy should have been booked for that kick out...oh wait it isn't Scottish football so should have been a red.

The Internet

Was gonna say before, if anyone fancies a whinge about the standard of English football then this should be a good one to watch. 

1 minute ago, benny said:

Cardiff must be the worst team to watch on TV.

Terrible stuff.

Attritional. Makes Levein's away games last year look like Barca.

Not sure it bodes well go CP. Or us for that matter .

TyphoonJambo

How absolutely Tom tit was that, I mean, these teams get bloody gazillions of cash compared to us and that was rank.

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, benny said:

Cardiff must be the worst team to watch on TV.

Terrible stuff.

They're excruciating. It’ll be a short stay. 

jamboinglasgow
51 minutes ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Another point for Cardiff yesterday but going to be a long season.

Good wee BBC clip featuring the man himself

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45310961

Hopefully he can kick on into the team. Thought he contributed well yesterday from the highlights I saw. Really want him to do well in the premier league.

That video was great, thought he spoke really well and sounded mature. And it shows his personality and ability really rubs off on the fans.

Fozzyonthefence
13 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hopefully he can kick on into the team. Thought he contributed well yesterday from the highlights I saw. Really want him to do well in the premier league.

That video was great, thought he spoke really well and sounded mature. And it shows his personality and ability really rubs off on the fans.

I think he’s going to struggle for game time this season.  Said this last season but from HMFC sell on point of view I think it would have been better if Cardiff had stayed in the Championship and CP has another 10-12 goal season.  Doesn’t look like he’s going to be a first pick in midfield and Warnock doesn’t rate him as a RB. Even if does play regularly Cardiff aren’t going to score many goals this season.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

• 1 month later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

He is back in today's Cardiff team for their match with Burnley. Hopefully he plays well and gets to keep his place again!

Cardiff 0-0 Burnley

Just seen it again and Cardiff should have scored from that corner. It fell to Callum Paterson and he mistimed his jump, fluffed his header and it was an easy clearance off the line for Matej Vydra. If he had just waited for the ball to come to him he woudl have buried that...

11 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Cardiff 0-0 Burnley

Just seen it again and Cardiff should have scored from that corner. It fell to Callum Paterson and he mistimed his jump, fluffed his header and it was an easy clearance off the line for Matej Vydra. If he had just waited for the ball to come to him he woudl have buried that...

Backed him @ 11/2 to score anytime. :ahhhhhhh:

Former Hearts defender has found life in Premier League tough with Cardiff

DESPITE having a breakthrough season with Cardiff in the English Championship last season, Callum Paterson has found life in the Premier League a little trickier than he may have hoped for.

The Scotland international was famously moved from full-back in to midfield last season when his manager, Neil Warnock, declared that “he can’t defend” yet this summer the club have spent a fortune revamping their midfield and so Paterson has had to accept a less pivotal role in the side.

Ahead of today’s clash with Burnley, Paterson has only played 200 minutes from a possible 630 for Cardiff and although that may seem like the former Hearts star has been demoted to the bench, there is some reason behind Warnock’s decision to chop and change last season’s team.

In the summer the Welsh side spent just under £30 million on recruits, which included central, attacking midfielder Bobby Reid from Bristol City as well as midfielders Harry Arter and Víctor Camarasa on loan from Bournemouth and Real Betis respectively, each of whom has taken a bite out of what Paterson brought to Cardiff in the previous campaign.

As Warnock has previously stated, despite his size and physique Paterson isn’t one for the more delicate, defensive side of the game and the Scot has been benched against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City for players like Arter or Joe Ralls that can protect Cardiff’s back line.

Paterson has averaged just 0.33 tackles per 90 minutes this season, which is half as many as Ralls’ average of 0.67 and nowhere near Arter’s average of two per 90 minutes. Similarly, the Scotland international’s average of roughly 3.18 interceptions per game in the Premier League falls short of Ralls and Arter’s once again. Paterson is a gifted player but Warnock simply has better, defensive players on hand for such matches.

Unfortunately for Paterson, the defensive side of his game isn’t the only issue that has limited his playing time. On top of that, the 23-year-old simply isn’t a careful, curator of passes and compared to some of his new team-mates, he can look blunt and reckless on the ball.

When put alongside the two, aforementioned defensive midfielders as well as Reid and Camarasa, Paterson currently averages the least amount of passes per Premier League game with just 17.21. In comparison new loan signing, Camarasa, currently averages almost twice as many with 37.62 despite playing in an almost identical role to the Scot. 

The midfielder is also once again bottom of the pile when it comes to accuracy. Arter and Camarasa’s averages tend to push towards 90 per cent in each Premier League game, while Reid and Ralls aren’t far behind with 79.06 and 71.92 per cent respectively. Yet Paterson’s sits at just 57.85 per cent.

Of course, anyone that has seen Paterson play would say the player’s strengths have never been his passing accuracy or defensive acumen. His raw, attacking ability to find goals and win aerial duels is undoubtedly an asset in a team that has scored only six goals from their opening seven games. Indeed, that is why Warnock has started Paterson in winnable games against the likes of Bournemouth and Huddersfield.

Yet what may have seemed brave and pragmatic each week in the Championship or Scottish Premiership now seems reckless for a club hoping to minimise as many risks as possible in the Premier League. For Warnock’s side, who have just two points from their opening six games, Paterson is often exactly that - a risk. And for the time being he may continue to be overlooked for smarter or more defensive midfielders.

Just now, Dallas Green said:

Pretty scathing article.

Anyone who watched CP up here and knew anything about fitba, could have written that

article a long time ago. Yet, a few people (inc me) were ridiculed on here for not knowing

anything about fitba for suggesting that he would never be an EPL player!

letsalldothebeattie

Seemed to play really well yesterday by all accounts. Seen a stat he won all his arial battles and managed to play the full 90. Glad he seems to be back in the fold after being benched a lot lately 

Where is that article from?

Edit: see now it's the Herald. It seems a really vindictive article tbh with a lot of research into making him look as poor as possible, and seems to overlook the fact that CP has gone from the Scottish Championship to the EPL in a couple of years and is still only 23. We all knew CP was limited to some extent but i am sure they could have written a more positive article had they wanted to.

I wonder if that paper is looking as closely at Stuart Armstrong's contribution for Southampton (same number of appearances, i think).

Edited by Nookie Bear

Dallas Green
2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Anyone who watched CP up here and knew anything about fitba, could have written that

article a long time ago. Yet, a few people (inc me) were ridiculed on here for not knowing

anything about fitba for suggesting that he would never be an EPL player!

You've given him a few months in an EPL team and written him off?

Young players not able to learn things? 

3 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Seemed to play really well yesterday by all accounts. Seen a stat he won all his arial battles and managed to play the full 90. Glad he seems to be back in the fold after being benched a lot lately 

Winning arial battles is what he does best and if fitba was head tennis, he would be a superstar.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Where is that article from?

By the look of it, hibs.net.

Edited by i8hibsh

Paterson was solid in that game yesterday, and even Match of the Day 2 pointed out his performance on several occasions.  They made sure to point out that he had "won just about everything that's come his way".

He could have scored a header that came to him completely unexpected, and his overhead kick could have been going anywhere before it hit the hand of the Burnley defender - and should have been a penalty.  He also had several knock-on headers that ran through onto his teammates putting them through into goal scoring positions.

That article above is nonsense, and Paterson might not win as many tackles as other players, but he sure as **** doesn't get beat in the air.  His passing is also very good, and just from MoTD2 last night, there were several wide through balls from him that were exactly where they needed to be.  He was one of the best on the pitch by the looks of things, which made for some happy watching.

I watched him yesterday and

he played ok . He played the 90 and won most of the aerial duals . He wasn’t the best and by no means the worst .