***Potential signings/Transfer rumours Thread***

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rudi must stay

Sorry by one i mean a winger but Cadden would be the candidate if a deal is possible. Motherwell might price him out though

Deal seems dead in the water. Hard to get excited about someone from Motherwell anyway, their last good player was McFadden in 2003

Watt-Zeefuik

If we end up not getting a winger I am guessing the logic may be that if we want two up front, Goncalves and Lafferty, and we don't want to disrupt the back 3 formation (you want the players settled into something they then find "natural" and not switching between a 3 and 4 during the season) we would revert to a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 with the wingbacks providing the width?

Whilst the addition of a winger "may" be useful I could understand the concern that it would potentially result in a lot of disruption to our formations.

We have seen in the past what can happen when we chop and change and the players start to get confused and lose sight of what they are supposed to be doing.

To play 2 up front and one winger would leave us lop sided, to play two up front and 2 wide you cant play 3 at the back.

I think this is right, and I'll just point out that the number system for positions can obscure real distinctions (like the difference between a "bars of four" 4-4-2 and a diamond midfield 4-4-2) and make it seem like there are distinctions where there aren't any.

3-4-3 and 5-2-3 are effectively the same formation, with the only difference being how much time the wingbacks spend pushed up the field.  Similarly, the difference for us this season between a 3-4-3 and a 3-5-2 is basically how aggressively Walker pushes up.  I don't think Lafferty or Isma move that much between a 3-5-2 and a 3-4-3. I also don't think being lopsided is particularly a problem -- in the first season back up under Robbie we played a 4-4-2 a lot where Buaben was technically on the wing across from Sam but in reality he was mostly playing pinched in a bit to help out in the center of the park, whereas Sam was truly playing as a touchline winger.

Jambof3tornado

Do you feel it is correct to put someone like Lafferty, Goncalves or Currie out wide to play as a winger rather than having a combination of them in and around the penalty area feeding off someone who can play the wide position naturally.

On Saturday past Lafferty was in the box, and his chances came from balls played in from out wide right. Goncalves was playing further left and failed to provide anything concrete into more scoring positions, positions he himself should have probably been in alongside Lafferty to increase the chances of conversion.

Having isma stockton and lafferty as a front 3 is frightening. Isma and lafferty very comfortable deployed wide.

or back to killie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucille's Thirsty

or back to killie.

I don't think he's an improvement on Hamilton at all.

We need experience in that department IMO.

John Findlay

Do you feel it is correct to put someone like Lafferty, Goncalves or Currie out wide to play as a winger rather than having a combination of them in and around the penalty area feeding off someone who can play the wide position naturally.

On Saturday past Lafferty was in the box, and his chances came from balls played in from out wide right. Goncalves was playing further left and failed to provide anything concrete into more scoring positions, positions he himself should have probably been in alongside Lafferty to increase the chances of conversion.

If Walker stays he is our right winger. Just need one for the left. Concalves and Lafferty through the middle. Concalves goes near post. Lafferty back post.

I don't think he's an improvement on Hamilton at all.

We need experience in that department IMO.

I'm not a Hamilton hater, but Woodman is definitely a better keeper than he is.

However I also agree that a bit of experience would be the preferable option.

rick witter

If Walker stays he is our right winger. Just need one for the left. Concalves and Lafferty through the middle. Concalves goes near post. Lafferty back post.

We are not going to play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers through the middle.

That has been obvious from the team set up in all the games so far. Walker will play wide ride of a front 3 and goncalves left of the 3 with either lafferty or Stockton through the middle.

To play this way though we need far better than Bauben Cowie and Djoum as central midfielders whichever combination of 2 is picked.

I would try to get at least one central midfielders and also a wide player who can play right or left of a front 3.

Watt-Zeefuik

We are not going to play with 2 wingers and 2 strikers through the middle.

That has been obvious from the team set up in all the games so far. Walker will play wide ride of a front 3 and goncalves left of the 3 with either lafferty or Stockton through the middle.

To play this way though we need far better than Bauben Cowie and Djoum as central midfielders whichever combination of 2 is picked.

I would try to get at least one central midfielders and also a wide player who can play right or left of a front 3.

Indeed, and Walker will play wider than Isma. Laffferty is clearly playing the classic hold-up man and Isma is playing off of him, with Walker cutting into space just behind them.  Also, as is clear watching the replay from the East Fife game, Lafferty will range touchline to touchline to pick up play -- he'll be more central, but we're not playing with a rigid left-center-right form up top.

As far as center mids, Martin needs added to that list. And if Djoum shakes off the cobwebs he showed end of last season, I'm starting to wonder if we need another midfielder at all.

Under JJ when we had a run of success I believe we played with Elliott and Templeton either side of Kyle/Stevenson with Rudi behind but Templeton played more like a winger and Elliott was more of a second striker, it worked because McGowan liked to maraud forward whilst grainger rarely overlapped, maybe we could set up in a non-symetrical system to cover more styles

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Cruyff Turn

We definitely need another forward with skill and pace who can create and score, much like Walker. Gauld on loan would be that sort of player. But can't see him coming here or being allowed.

Either way we need someone who allows us to change to a back four by moving wide. It will never be a 4-4-2 though, you can take that to the bank.

Definitely need someone class in midfield.

Desperately need a Goalkeeper. Preferably an experienced one who will organise the defence, command their box and can distribute well.

Heres Rixxy

We definitely need another forward with skill and pace who can create and score, much like Walker. Gauld on loan would be that sort of player. But can't see him coming here or being allowed.

Either way we need someone who allows us to change to a back four by moving wide. It will never be a 4-4-2 though, you can take that to the bank.

Definitely need someone class in midfield.

Desperately need a Goalkeeper. Preferably an experienced one who will organise the defence, command their box and can distribute well.

Gauld has already joined another Portuguese club on loan for the season.

Could be an interesting one, played a fair bit but seems to have been out on loan a lot and never settled anywhere.

Drink driving ban and was fined for calling someone a "sausage boy" would mean he's probably more suited to Sevco though.

From what I've read he seems to be a centre mid dictator type who doesn't get forward all that much, have Sevco not already got that covered with Jack? And were a couple of the Mexican signings not centre mids too? Be strange for them to sign another one.

Type of player we need and definitely fits the bill in terms of British and playing at a decent standard in England so would make sense. Doesn't fit at all with Sevcos transfer activity this window.

Finally, where did this info come from?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yeah, but they are a bit stand-offish apparently.

Cruyff Turn

Gauld has already joined another Portuguese club on loan for the season.

Ahh well, another one bites the dust.

Bridge of Djoum

Playing strikers out wide is indeed shit. Like playing centre halves at full back.

We need to sign a proper winger to give us a plan B.

Ken

That Thierry Henry wiz pish likes.

portobellojambo1

Having isma stockton and lafferty as a front 3 is frightening. Isma and lafferty very comfortable deployed wide.

On one or two occasions, both in Belfast, and again on Saturday, Lafferty drifted out wide but it was more to pull defenders about and pick up the ball for onward transmission rather to run at an opposition defender. He functioned best where he plays best, in the penalty area, around the goals. Goncalves, since his arrival the best I've seen him play for us was the 4-1 victory over Rangers in January. On that occasion he was playing a little more right sided, think in old school terms it would maybe be called inside right. but was also a lot more central, running in behind the defenders. Again more recently he has drifted out wide left. In Belfast he wasn't having much if any success, but did score a very good goal when he got himself into a more central position and beyond the defence. Saturday past he did produce one piece of excellent play out wide, but again looked better when he moved inside. On the right hand side we do look as if we have discovered someone in Smith who defends well but can also launch a good ball into the box when going forward, again that may be down to the Northern Ireland connection and knowing where Lafferty likes the ball played into. I don't think, like some, that bringing in someone who likes to play wide left and run at the opposition should mis-balance us in any way. Having people on either side of the park who can reach the bye line and cross the ball helps stretch a defensive formation, creating additional space for those in the box looking for goals. Based on what I saw Saturday John Souttar, a player I already had huge admiration for, could be a massive player for us this season. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and produced a number of passes forward both left and right which got us into dangerous positions.

On one or two occasions, both in Belfast, and again on Saturday, Lafferty drifted out wide but it was more to pull defenders about and pick up the ball for onward transmission rather to run at an opposition defender. He functioned best where he plays best, in the penalty area, around the goals. Goncalves, since his arrival the best I've seen him play for us was the 4-1 victory over Rangers in January. On that occasion he was playing a little more right sided, think in old school terms it would maybe be called inside right. but was also a lot more central, running in behind the defenders. Again more recently he has drifted out wide left. In Belfast he wasn't having much if any success, but did score a very good goal when he got himself into a more central position and beyond the defence. Saturday past he did produce one piece of excellent play out wide, but again looked better when he moved inside. On the right hand side we do look as if we have discovered someone in Smith who defends well but can also launch a good ball into the box when going forward, again that may be down to the Northern Ireland connection and knowing where Lafferty likes the ball played into. I don't think, like some, that bringing in someone who likes to play wide left and run at the opposition should mis-balance us in any way. Having people on either side of the park who can reach the bye line and cross the ball helps stretch a defensive formation, creating additional space for those in the box looking for goals. Based on what I saw Saturday John Souttar, a player I already had huge admiration for, could be a massive player for us this season. He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and produced a number of passes forward both left and right which got us into dangerous positions.

Goncalves played very well against Newcastle last week, on the left side of attack and linking up well with Smith-Brown whenever he pushed forward.  Seemed to exploit the space created between their right back and right-sided central defender when Smith-Brown was forward and occupying the right back.  

Goncalves played very well against Newcastle last week, on the left side of attack and linking up well with Smith-Brown whenever he pushed forward.  Seemed to exploit the space created between their right back and right-sided central defender when Smith-Brown was forward and occupying the right back.

I personally think Isma is better starting a little wider.

He did so when he first came to Hearts but was then put through the middle because we had no one else.

I think he's good enough to pick his time to go central. He's not a winger as such. He can tuck in when the play is on the right or keep his width if he doesn't see the room to move into. I think he's quite adaptable.

I personally think Isma is better starting a little wider.

He did so when he first came to Hearts but was then put through the middle because we had no one else.

I think he's good enough to pick his time to go central. He's not a winger as such. He can tuck in when the play is on the right or keep his width if he doesn't see the room to move into. I think he's quite adaptable.

I think that's the case with all of the front three that started on Saturday.  Lafferty and Walker also drift around to exploit space, especially Jamie.  Lafferty started to play further right when Stockton came on.

I'm excited about having an adaptable front three like this, as it will be murder for opposition defences to keep on top of.

I think that's the case with all of the front three that started on Saturday.  Lafferty and Walker also drift around to exploit space, especially Jamie.  Lafferty started to play further right when Stockton came on.

I'm excited about having an adaptable front three like this, as it will be murder for opposition defences to keep on top of.

Agree and Stockton gives you something more traditional. Good mix we're getting now.

Ken

Are we likely to be able to sign players of that quality?

Bridge of Djoum

Are we likely to be able to sign players of that quality?

Here's hoping!

Not sure which part of not having 2 wingers folk are struggling with.

Aye but but but but but we need wingers

Watt-Zeefuik

I see our attack as shaping up something like this:

|    goal   |

Isma

Lafferty

Walker

Smith-Brown/Grizzly                         Cowie                       Smith

Lafferty playing the classic target/hold-up man, looking to bring any of the others into the attack, and ranging across the pitch to pick up long balls. We're a bit more right-sided in the build-up so typically Lafferty will be trying to draw attention at the near post and pull the defence to him, with Isma poaching at the back post.  Walker's job will be to carry the ball wide at times but more often to cut inside to the top of the box.  Cowie looking to form triangles for passing around the defence, Smith looking to cross, and the LWB looking for triangles on the left. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Ken

No relevance, Thierry Henry started as a winger and moved more central. We need another option in the wide areas either side of the 3 up front, a winger with genuine pace would fit the bill.

I am aware of what might be and hopefully is happening in the back ground and aware that sometimes it cant be done quickly. All I am saying is that it would have been more ideal had it been done already. Its not a new situation that just happened this week. Its a situation thats been evident for a while.

Pretty sure you were the guy arguing with me when I said it takes more than 3 days to sign someone, even said it should only be 4 hours tops once you speak to someone surely it should be approach team with interest, yes no answer, speak to player. About 6 hours tops no?

gorgieheart

So, are there any rumours on the go ?    

Mcgregor thing been put to bed now ?

Any fresh approach for Cadden likely ? 

Sammon/johnsen any nearer the exit  ? 

So, are there any rumours on the go ?    

Mcgregor thing been put to bed now ?

Any fresh approach for Cadden likely ? 

Sammon/johnsen any nearer the exit  ? 

Pass although not in Sammon's case.

Escobar PHM

Pretty sure you were the guy arguing with me when I said it takes more than 3 days to sign someone, even said it should only be 4 hours tops once you speak to someone surely it should be approach team with interest, yes no answer, speak to player. About 6 hours tops no?

I was referring to someone who is available. Someone who is NOT available right now obviously cant be signed until he IS available. Mcgregor for example. Not available until Hull decide what they want to do with him. if they decide he is surplus we could do the deal pretty quickly. Might be a last day signing in fact

Another day and not a feckin sausage of news rumours etc...???

Must be the longest we have went this summer without solid rumours

Cruyff Turn

Must be the longest we have went this summer without solid rumours

Hopefully it's just a case of the press not knowing anything rather than us not doing any business at the moment.

Djoum was in my work the other day with what looked liked his agent, discussing a move with hull Sunderland and Notts forest mentioned. Sounded like he wants a move to the championship rather than Germany/France.

Djoum was in my work the other day with what looked liked his agent, discussing a move with hull Sunderland and Notts forest mentioned. Sounded like he wants a move to the championship rather than Germany/France.

****** & bull

Sure bud, sure.

Coburg Hearts

Aye, right!! Your username is apt.

Gene Parmesan

7f5.gif

Of course he was... Sometimes this place..

****** & bull

It's genuine mate there was also talk about Barnsley but they tend to not sign players his age.

LSD Eindhoven

Djoum was in chemist the other day while I was picking up my daily dose of methadone with what looked liked his agent, discussing a move with hull Sunderland and Notts forest mentioned. Sounded like he wants a move to the championship rather than Germany/France.

FTFY

Lucille's Thirsty

You're username doesn't leave anything to the imagination mate.

Of course he was... Be glad when the schools go back...

I work in a quite upmarket bar, I wouldn't lie about this just trying to give out some info on a rather quiet week.

gorgie rd eh11

What's your work?

That's a cracking 1st post.

Great update thanks but a question - why was Djoum in Seafield Sewage works in the first place??

Archived