More Tory lies

aussieh

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When I got married in 1982, I was on an alternating 2 day week one week and a 3 day week the next, my wage was £2.42 per hour so on a good week I was getting £58 per week and £38 on the bad week, my wife was unemployed and got around about £18 per week dole, so we were trying to set up a home with on average £60 per week, the short time lasted for about 8 months, so I know fully well about hardship, but even come the 90's when on full time and when we had kids things didn't get much better as I often remember come a Tuesday (got paid weekly on a Thursday) that we'd be down to the coppers and still had to try and get things for the kids and many a time I witnessed the work shy and single mothers would be pulling out the £20 notes whilst I was handing over empty juice bottles and coppers to pay for things at the local shop, and I often thought who was the fecking mug for working.

Honestly some folks don't know fecking shit about what life was really like in the 70's and 80's, but as you say our parents had it much much worse and as for our grandparents they had world wars to contend with.

Single mothers had Monday books.

Which was probably why you saw them with a score on a Tuesday.

• Replies 27.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When I got married in 1982, I was on an alternating 2 day week one week and a 3 day week the next, my wage was £2.42 per hour so on a good week I was getting £58 per week and £38 on the bad week, my wife was unemployed and got around about £18 per week dole, so we were trying to set up a home with on average £60 per week, the short time lasted for about 8 months, so I know fully well about hardship, but even come the 90's when on full time and when we had kids things didn't get much better as I often remember come a Tuesday (got paid weekly on a Thursday) that we'd be down to the coppers and still had to try and get things for the kids and many a time I witnessed the work shy and single mothers would be pulling out the £20 notes whilst I was handing over empty juice bottles and coppers to pay for things at the local shop, and I often thought who was the fecking mug for working.

Honestly some folks don't know fecking shit about what life was really like in the 70's and 80's, but as you say our parents had it much much worse and as for our grandparents they had world wars to contend with.

So other people were workshy while your wife was on the dole. 

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

? 

Missed that.

Well spotted

Edited by jake

6 minutes ago, jake said:

?

Missed that.

Well spotted

It's crazy how people view things differently. He and his wife were fortunate enough to climb off the dole, most aren't so lucky, who then can become stuck in a rut. 

Unemployment is big business for government. 

Edited by ri Alban

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's crazy how people view things differently. He and his wife were fortunate enough to climb off the dole, most aren't so lucky, who then can become stuck in a rut.

There are unfortunately plenty of people perfectly happy to be ‘stuck in a rut’ and live off benefits. He wasn’t unemployed but actually working part time. His wife was on the dole.

I still don’t agree with the Tories’ heavy handed approach. All they want to do is save money and lots of genuine deserving cases are being punished while the hard core of artful dodgers always seem to find ways to evade detection. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No, if you read the post correctly you'll see that I said she was on the dole in 1982, the work-shy comment was refering to to 90's, which by that time she was working and had been working on and off mostly doing part-time jobs from the 80's in-between having our kids.

As for the work-shy comment, trust me these guys could work, but choose not to, and did everything possible to avoid working, we all know folks like that.

Same as some of the single mothers, some got pregnant at 16 and keep having kids every few years, so that they never need to get a job, again we all know some who have done that.

3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

There are unfortunately plenty of people perfectly happy to be ‘stuck in a rut’ and live off benefits. He wasn’t unemployed but actually working part time. His wife was on the dole.

I still don’t agree with the Tories’ heavy handed approach. All they want to do is save money and lots of genuine deserving cases are being punished while the hard core of artful dodgers always seem to find ways to evade detection. 

It was short-time working due to the recession of the early 80's.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No, if you read the post correctly you'll see that I said she was on the dole in 1982, the work-shy comment was refering to to 90's, which by that time she was working and had been working on and off mostly doing part-time jobs from the 80's in-between having our kids.

As for the work-shy comment, trust me these guys could work, but choose not to, and did everything possible to avoid working, we all know folks like that.

Same as some of the single mothers, some got pregnant at 16 and keep having kids every few years, so that they never need to get a job, again we all know some who have done that.

Doesn't matter when it was. Don't judge people you don't know anything about any less. 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Doesn't matter when it was. Don't judge people you don't know anything about any less. 

When someone is actively seeking work but there isn't any to be had, compared with someone who doesn't want to work and doesn't even try to find work, especially when I know them personally and know for a fact that they weren't even trying, then damn right I'll judge them.

maroonlegions

Brutal Tory draconian welfare cuts/reforms. 

Not even in Thatchers days did we have such measures  being taking by schools. Stopping free school  milk for kids was an insidious policy and of course the poll tax but never a school opening a food bank to prevent kids going fecking Hungary.

Anyone watering down or defending such polices that either make kids go hungery or put them at real risk of going hungery are the ones to avoid. Vile individuals.

There are also a number of cases of those having had their welfare cut or stopped due to such cuts that have taking  their own lifes. 

The reality of suicides directly related to EXTREME hardships and poverty to this governments welfare reform polices are a fact. One life lost is one too many before any Tory trolls and apologists regurgitate  stats. 

No amount of Tory suicides ministers will stop it continuing until these brutal Tory draconian welfare reforms are reversed. Universal Credit is a war on the poor, week and vulnerable  , thought up by think tanks of extremely vile and insidious people.

"We don't want hungry children", said the school principle.

:vangry:

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When someone is actively seeking work but there isn't any to be had, compared with someone who doesn't want to work and doesn't even try to find work, especially when I know them personally and know for a fact that they weren't even trying, then damn right I'll judge them.

Is that right, aye. 

maroonlegions
32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thats it though ,those seeking work and doing all they can are STILL being punished and having money stopped or cut .?

That is the reality of Tory welfare reforms. You would be well advised to look at the stats and cases from charities that are directly involved with such people in real hardships because or Tory welfare reforms. They are now GAGGING such charities in time for the introduction of their draconian  and insidious Universal Credit .

Welfare fraud paid  to the scroungers and workshy is a small % compared to the tax avoidance by some of the big corporations.:muggy:

Edited by maroonlegions

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is that right, aye. 

Well unless you used to shop at shops such as at Caddon Court then you won't know who these people were, maybe if you did then maybe you'd be able to judge for yourself.

22 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Thats it though ,those seeking work and doing all they can are STILL being punished and having money stopped or cut .?

That is the reality of Tory welfare reforms. You would be well advised to look at the stats and cases from charities that are directly involved with such people in real hardships because or Tory welfare reforms. They are now GAGGING such charities in time for the introduction of their draconian  and insidious Universal Credit .

Welfare fraud paid  to the scroungers and workshy is a small % compared to the tax avoidance by some of the big corporations.:muggy:

I agree if you are genuinely looking for suitable work and there isn't anything, then you should not be penalised.

Seen that on the news this morning about the gagging of charities, well lets hope the charities tell the government to gtf.

Personally I think the general idea of combining several different benefits into a simpler one benefit wasn't that bad an idea per se, but unfortunately it's the way that the Tories have implimented it which is the problem, that and the lengh of time they are expecting folks who are already skint to go without any money whilst their benefits were switched over to the new system.

maroonlegions

Lies, lies and lies. Its all the Tories have got , Tory trolls should take note.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Austerity was brought about by the Banks. Looking after their rich city mates eh, its a Tory CON.:yes:

1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

Lies, lies and lies. Its all the Tories have got , Tory trolls should take note.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Austerity was brought about by the Banks. Looking after their rich city mates eh, its a Tory CON.:yes:

So who are the Tory Trolls? Labour were in power when the banks went tits up though their reckless behaviour was slowly brewing for 20 years or more.

I’ve no love for the Tories either but you really need to take  a chill pill mate. I don’t think you’ve left anyone in doubt as to your personal views but I don’t think you’re going to achieve much by continuously bombarding this thread with anti Tory memes. You get 1 vote, the same as everyone else.

All political parties tell fibs, especially when in power. When in oppo, you can promise whatever you like.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

I do love the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theory mob. Spend all day telling us how the main stream media lie, then fall over themselves to link to the very same when any article has a tiny piece of something that fits their virtue signalling agenda. ? 

The Old Tolbooth
19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

19 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Is that right, aye. 

Not sure why you feel a need to be such an arse towards Jim, he's only telling it exactly like it was in the Borders back in the day, and his post absolutely resonates with me growing up in the Borders back then as my mother was in exactly the same boat, desperate to work but sometimes couldn't find any, and would end up doing any shitty little job just to make ends meet to provide for us all. There were also plenty spongers who would never lift a finger to look for work, I know exactly the types he's on about. 

Jim was absolutely correct in saying that Dawson International ran the Borders and nobody else could get a look in, they owned practically all of the woolen mills and lined councilors pockets at the same time to protect their vested interests. 

I too am a "Yes" voter ri Alban, but it's attitudes like yours that don't half put people off, you could perhaps try debating more and stop being so arsey to people, it would help to get your point across much better, don't get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm for it, and you put across some good points, but when I read stuff like the above then I just shake my head I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Not sure why you feel a need to be such an arse towards Jim, he's only telling it exactly like it was in the Borders back in the day, and his post absolutely resonates with me growing up in the Borders back then as my mother was in exactly the same boat, desperate to work but sometimes couldn't find any, and would end up doing any shitty little job just to make ends meet to provide for us all. There were also plenty spongers who would never lift a finger to look for work, I know exactly the types he's on about. 

Jim was absolutely correct in saying that Dawson International ran the Borders and nobody else could get a look in, they owned practically all of the woolen mills and lined councilors pockets at the same time to protect their vested interests. 

I too am a "Yes" voter ri Alban, but it's attitudes like yours that don't half put people off, you could perhaps try debating more and stop being so arsey to people, it would help to get your point across much better, don't get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm for it, and you put across some good points, but when I read stuff like the above then I just shake my head I'm afraid. 

If you didn't live in the Borders at that time and era & work in the Knitwear Industry then you'd never have a clue what used to go on and would probably doubt things were like they were. so I think that's were aussie is coming from, he doesn't have a clue what it was like down here in those days.

Dawson's used to be like if you got the sack from one mill then there was a good chance you didn't get employed in another mill (pending what you got sacked for), in other words blacklisted, so if you had a young family to keep you pretty much bit your tongue and did what you were told as there was very little other options around, especially since Dawson's provided most of the only jobs around.

The other thing is I don't think people realise the distances people had to travel to get work here, I remember my wife at one time having a part-time job in the BGH laundry and another at Whim Hall near West Linton often doing a few hours at the Whim and then travelling down to Melrose in the evening, but that's what people had to do around here.

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If you didn't live in the Borders at that time and era & work in the Knitwear Industry then you'd never have a clue what used to go on and would probably doubt things were like they were. so I think that's were aussie is coming from, he doesn't have a clue what it was like down here in those days.

Dawson's used to be like if you got the sack from one mill then there was a good chance you didn't get employed in another mill (pending what you got sacked for), in other words blacklisted, so if you had a young family to keep you pretty much bit your tongue and did what you were told as there was very little other options around, especially since Dawson's provided most of the only jobs around.

The other thing is I don't think people realise the distances people had to travel to get work here, I remember my wife at one time having a part-time job in the BGH laundry and another at Whim Hall near West Linton often doing a few hours at the Whim and then travelling down to Melrose in the evening, but that's what people had to do around here.

I've been in Fife 11 years now, but our paths must have crossed Jim 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

He classed his wife above other people on the dole. That's why. His wife was on the dole others were work shy. Don't you think that's being a bit of a Hypocrite. 

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Really. Was the Borders the only place to lose jobs. The Mills in Paisley and the Car plant in Linwood shutting totally destroyed Paisley and the surrounding area. But hey we're all workshy. 

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He classed his wife above other people on the dole. That's why. His wife was on the dole others were work shy. Don't you think that's being a bit of a Hypocrite. 

He didn't class his wife above other people on the doll, he clearly made the distinction between his wife wanting to work, and not being able to find work, and others who didn't want to work at all, and not even bothering to look for work. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Really. Was the Borders the only place to lose jobs. The Mills in Paisley and the Car plant in Linwood shutting totally destroyed Paisley and the surrounding area. But hey we're all workshy. 

Now you're just being an arse. 

10 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

He didn't class his wife above other people on the doll, he clearly made the distinction between his wife wanting to work, and not being able to find work, and others who didn't want to work at all, and not even bothering to look for work. 

Now you're just being an arse. 

Na, he was seeing people who struggle from week to week the same as him at their high point of the week, at his low point. They probably seen him with a £20 on a Friday and thought the same. 

The Old Tolbooth
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Na, he was seeing people who struggle from week to week the same as him at their high point of the week, at his low point. They probably seen him with a £20 on a Friday and thought the same. 

I give up! 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
18 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I give up! 

It's ok mate, he will go too far as usual and be banned from yet another thread for being, well, himself.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Na, I saw people who deliberately screwed the system from week to week month to month year to year, whilst I and most other people panned their kunts in working all the hours we could to provide for our families.

What a depressing thread. 

The common theme seems to be the tories are filth (they are) and that regardless of the colour in charge at Westminster, Scotland still gets the shaft. 

The only country on the face of the earth to discover oil and get even poorer!

Time to get out of the never ending lies and look after our own interests in a more socially just country that looks after its citizens interests BEFORE the corporations and the greedy billionaires.

Edited by Pans Jambo

maroonlegions

What next a Tory minister in charge of those  taking THE PISS. 

Or what about a Tory minister in charge of those  with NO FECKING MORALS , surly the tax payer would be happy to contribute. 

safe_image.php?d=AQBy5w8RWJN_HmY4&w=476&

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions

What about a new Tory minister in charge of those, who be their nature  and actions  just hate the poor ,and are just plain insidiously fecking morally  bankrupt when it come to having any human compassion towards other humans  who have feck all.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text
Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Universal Credit, the new weapon on the war of the poor. The more cash saved by a policy that incorporates having  no morals or compassion  towards those in extreme poverty and hardship  in welfare payments the  more tax breaks for the rich. VILE.

Edited by maroonlegions

Space Mackerel

Andy Wigmore found to be talking porkys about his place of birth. Seems like he was Irish in a previous life. Now he is from Belize. 

On 13/10/2018 at 22:11, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The point is that the next generation should always have it better than the last otherwise what is the point in hunan existence of we aren't striving to improve quality of life. I had a good childhood because my parents worked and were able to work and provide for the family. They were able to buy a house in a decent area. Largely due to to house prices being far more affordable back then compared to now. 

I want the same but due to cost of living, rental prices, house prices and so forth I am unable to save up for a deposit. 

Governor Tarkin
23 hours ago, ri Alban said:

His wife was on the dole others were work shy. Don't you think that's being a bit of a Hypocrite. 

The two aren't even remotely the same :lol:

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The point is that the next generation should always have it better than the last otherwise what is the point in hunan existence of we aren't striving to improve quality of life. I had a good childhood because my parents worked and were able to work and provide for the family. They were able to buy a house in a decent area. Largely due to to house prices being far more affordable back then compared to now. 

I want the same but due to cost of living, rental prices, house prices and so forth I am unable to save up for a deposit. 

Indeed you'd hope that the next generation would be better off than the previous one but for many it's not working out that way.

Although in saying that my kids are far far far better off than I ever was.

2 of them have their own houses and the other is saving for a deposit, none of them are in what you’d call high paid jobs and all 3 left school at 16 and went straight into the workplace and started with nothing and worked their way up.

Of course a lot depends on your location as in terms of rent, houses prices etc etc, which is why more and more people are moving out of the cities to the country, there are many affordable houses for sale here but usually not for long as they are snapped up quite quickly, indeed I’ve mentioned on another thread that this is the very thing my next door neighbours did, they rented in Edinburgh but wanted their own house but could never have afforded the prices so they bought a 3 bedroom house and their mortgage is around about half of what their rent in Edinburgh used to cost them and the guy just commutes into his work in Edinburgh every day.

If my kids lived in the city they probably couldn’t have afforded to buy a house either such are the prices nowadays.