More Tory lies

aussieh

Lone Striker
16 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Cheers.  Mostly people ask why you can't send them whence they came rather than Rwanda.  It's just such a random place.

Thanks for your thoughts.  👍   Its got me wondering though - do all EU countries have an identical list of "safe countries" to which it would be lawful to send failed asylum seekers ?    If such a list exists, it then begs the question - why is the UK not using that same list  too ?

(Of course, our Govt will stop at nothing to make sure we're not seen to be aligning in any way with  EU  doctrines now !! 🙄)

• Replies 27.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ulysses
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  👍   Its got me wondering though - do all EU countries have an identical list of "safe countries" to which it would be lawful to send failed asylum seekers ?    If such a list exists, it then begs the question - why is the UK not using that same list  too ?

(Of course, our Govt will stop at nothing to make sure we're not seen to be aligning in any way with  EU  doctrines now !! 🙄)

There isn't a consistent list, because ultimately migration is a reserved national issue.  All EU member states include all other EU countries on their lists.  Ireland has only designated the UK, as has Iceland.  Greece regards Turkey as a safe third country, but only if the migrant is from particular countries.  Hungary has the longest list, but even then it's only 15 non-EU countries.  Hungary is the only country that recognises the United States, but it excludes States that operate the death penalty.  The Croatian government tried to recognise Serbia as a safe non-EU country, but its highest court overruled them.  In other words, it's a bit of a mess.  But that's also why I'm not sure the court decision about the UK and Rwanda is actually all that big a deal.

It's also a tricky issue because although migration is a reserved national policy matter, under EU law individual countries cannot expose migrants to the risk of refoulement, i.e. to the risk of being returned to a country where they would be in danger of persecution for specified reasons.

Cranston
16 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Why don't we the Scots tell UK parliament to send the migrants here up to Scotland? We need migrants right? As many as possible?

1 minute ago, Cranston said:

Why don't we the Scots tell UK parliament to send the migrants here up to Scotland? We need migrants right? As many as possible?

Thick and fast with the post-count accumulation now.  👀

Cranston
Just now, Morgan said:

Thick and fast with the post-count accumulation now.  👀

Okay mate. Point taken.

The Mighty Thor
18 hours ago, Cranston said:

The whole UK needs migrants. It always has. 

I'd prefer that Scotland set its own immigration policy rather than leave the racists and xenophobes of Westminster to decide it for us. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

I P Knightley
20 hours ago, Cranston said:

In return for the money they're willing to chuck Rwanda's way, that's not too bad a proposal. Given that the Tory gov't aren't planning on scrutinising what happens to those who are shipped to Rwanda, the Scots parly could house them in East Kilbride (or similar). Take them to Easter Road on a Saturday afternoon - that will test their mettle; there'll be plenty space for them. 

il Duce McTarkin
22 hours ago, Cranston said:

Good post.

We need more migrants imo.

No brainer.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

In return for the money they're willing to chuck Rwanda's way, that's not too bad a proposal. Given that the Tory gov't aren't planning on scrutinising what happens to those who are shipped to Rwanda, the Scots parly could house them in East Kilbride (or similar). Take them to Easter Road on a Saturday afternoon - that will test their mettle; there'll be plenty space for them. 

That could be a win-win  for everyone actually.  Give them a free mobile phone too, so they can call home and tell their relatives and friends not to bother coming to the UK - its sh1t, the house in EK is a tiny concrete pod next to a roundabaout, and the football team is crap.   They'd be begging to go to Rwanda instead.     Stop The Boats - job done 😜

Cranston
5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The whole UK needs migrants. It always has. 

I'd prefer that Scotland set its own immigration policy rather than leave the racists and xenophobes of Westminster to decide it for us. 

Scotland has to be one of the least built up countries anywhere. Build new cities, towns, millions of new homes for new people to migrate to Scotland yes?

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Cranston said:

Scotland has to be one of the least built up countries anywhere. Build new cities, towns, millions of new homes for new people to migrate to Scotland yes?

Did someone call central casting for yet another tedious shite troll? 

Mate you'll need to work on your routine. We've already got a good half dozen utter half wits pumping out the same brainless pish day after day.

Aim higher. Be better.

If that's beyond you then at least try to be unique. 

Japan Jambo
On 23/03/2024 at 06:15, The Mighty Thor said:

Visa free restrictions to Thailand?

Freedom of noncing. 

How very Conservative 

It's actually VISA free access for Thai's to come here, UK citizens can already visit Thailand without needing a pre approved visa. What has noncing got to do with it?

Mikey1874

More 'investment'

Fully story if you open it. Basically criticising Free Ports as a way to undermine and privatise public services. 

On 23/03/2024 at 22:58, Cranston said:

Scotland takes more refugees than other countries of the UK per capita

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Cranston said:

We'd need a border with a checkpoint, of course to stop them slipping back down to England where they are unwelcome of course.

I assume that Sunak is up for a 'Build a wall' policy and border controls between England and Scotland?

Footballfirst
34 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

We'd need a border with a checkpoint, of course to stop them slipping back down to England where they are unwelcome of course.

I assume that Sunak is up for a 'Build a wall' policy and border controls between England and Scotland?

There are already foundations in place for a wall and fortifications in Hadrian's Wall from Bowness-on Solway to Wallsend. All it needs is for England to cede Berwick and much of Northumberland back to the Scots.

scott herbertson
33 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There are already foundations in place for a wall and fortifications in Hadrian's Wall from Bowness-on Solway to Wallsend. All it needs is for England to cede Berwick and much of Northumberland back to the Scots.

there we go then - simples

Gundermann
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Good to know.

The data we have suggests Scotland and Wales receive proportionally more refugees than England from certain schemes for resettlement, and more people through the Ukraine sponsorship scheme.

Japan Jambo
17 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Good to know.

As of December 2022, a total of 110,171 asylum seekers were being housed across the UK, of which 49,493 were being housed in hotels.

In Scotland, 576 asylum seekers were being housed in hotels—around 1 per 10,000 people (based on 2021 population estimates). In Wales, the figure was 364, also around 1 per 10,000 people.

This is substantially lower than the average across England of around 8 asylum seekers per 10,000 people.

Northern Ireland housed more asylum seekers in hotels than both Scotland and Wales, though fewer than England, at around 6 per 10,000 people.

When looking at all asylum seekers receiving support from local authorities, as of December 2022 Scotland supported 5,210, while Wales supported 3,142 (both equating to around 10 per 10,000). Northern Ireland supported 3,103, at a higher rate of 16 per 10,000 people.

By comparison, local authorities in England supported 98,375 asylum seekers, or 17 per 10,000 people.

The Mighty Thor

Meanwhile and very much back on topic

Another one of the crooked ***** bites the dust. 

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

As of December 2022, a total of 110,171 asylum seekers were being housed across the UK, of which 49,493 were being housed in hotels.

In Scotland, 576 asylum seekers were being housed in hotels—around 1 per 10,000 people (based on 2021 population estimates). In Wales, the figure was 364, also around 1 per 10,000 people.

This is substantially lower than the average across England of around 8 asylum seekers per 10,000 people.

Northern Ireland housed more asylum seekers in hotels than both Scotland and Wales, though fewer than England, at around 6 per 10,000 people.

When looking at all asylum seekers receiving support from local authorities, as of December 2022 Scotland supported 5,210, while Wales supported 3,142 (both equating to around 10 per 10,000). Northern Ireland supported 3,103, at a higher rate of 16 per 10,000 people.

By comparison, local authorities in England supported 98,375 asylum seekers, or 17 per 10,000 people.

Now add refugees and not just asylum seekers.

Gundermann
3 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

My quote was also from your article.

The website you posted, also has this:

Refugees in Scotland

As we’ve explained before, we don’t have data on what part of the UK many refugees settle in (including most of those resettled under schemes specifically for Afghan citizens, who accounted for the majority of resettled refugees arriving in the UK last year, and former asylum seekers who have been granted refugee status). 

That means we can’t say for certain how many refugees are living in Scotland, or indeed in other parts of the UK.

However, of those refugees for whom we do have location data, since 2014, Scotland has resettled 3,854 from various refugee resettlement schemes.

In addition, as of 31 March 2023 at least 24,050 Ukrainians have arrived in Scotland under the Homes for Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (this does not include Ukrainians who have arrived under the separate Family Reunion Scheme, for which we’ve not seen location data).

Seems like there's a lot of date missing, so it's impossible to say which nation takes the most. However, they all do take some.

I believe the issue was stemmed from a Tory MP who wasn't quite truthful, no surprise there:

I am delighted that the honourable Lady celebrated Refugee Week. I do not know if any refugees came to it, because the SNP does not house refugees in Scotland.

Robert Jenrick MP
https://theferret.scot/claim-scotland-does-not-house-refugees-is-false/

Edited by Gundermann

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, Gundermann said:

My quote was also from your article.

I believe the issue was from a Tory MP who wasn't quite truthful, no surprise there:

I am delighted that the honourable Lady celebrated Refugee Week. I do not know if any refugees came to it, because the SNP does not house refugees in Scotland.

Robert Jenrick MP
https://theferret.scot/claim-scotland-does-not-house-refugees-is-false/

No argument from me that Jenrick is a walloper and that was definitely a stupid thing to say. All about the sound bite yet again.

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

See when these reports say "being housed in hotels" ...... they're not actually operating as "tourist" hotels, are they ?     I could be wrong, but I got the impression that they're former hotels that are still habitable but not economically viable and not accepting bookings from travel sites.   Presumably the Govt is paying for the services & maintenance in them ?    Unused student accommodation also being used short-term too ?

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Meanwhile and very much back on topic

Another one of the crooked ***** bites the dust. 

The slow motion General Election continues.

One seat at a time.

:jjyay:

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

See when these reports say "being housed in hotels" ...... they're not actually operating as "tourist" hotels, are they ?     I could be wrong, but I got the impression that they're former hotels that are still habitable but not economically viable and not accepting bookings from travel sites.   Presumably the Govt is paying for the services & maintenance in them ?    Unused student accommodation also being used short-term too ?

Certainly the hotels they are using here in central London are not the pick of the crop but they would most definitely be viable in their own right. I think the model though is to take over the whole hotel but it's not my bag. I'm not far from Pimlico/Victoria and there is a wheen of hotels there that are now housing asylum seekers. 

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Certainly the hotels they are using here in central London are not the pick of the crop but they would most definitely be viable in their own right. I think the model though is to take over the whole hotel but it's not my bag. I'm not far from Pimlico/Victoria and there is a wheen of hotels there that are now housing asylum seekers. 

Panorama was a decent watch tonight. It was all about the governments immigration policy.

Good for context about just who is coming into the UK legally and illegally. 

You'll get it on iPlayer👍

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Panorama was a decent watch tonight. It was all about the governments immigration policy.

Good for context about just who is coming into the UK legally and illegally. 

You'll get it on iPlayer👍

Cheers, betting that skilled labour far outweighs illegal immigration?

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

433895349_8255895784436983_3794708641713

Maggie dead but not forgotten

rent free for ever 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Maggie dead but not forgotten

rent free for ever 

He’s another one living in the past .ffs can they no let it go . 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Cheers, betting that skilled labour far outweighs illegal immigration?

By a huge factor.

I think the point of the programme was more to illustrate the performative bollocks of the 'stop the boats' whilst another 1.14m immigrants wander into the UK under the current government's version of taking back control. 

You'll not see that on the front of the daily Heil.

Japan Jambo
51 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

By a huge factor.

I think the point of the programme was more to illustrate the performative bollocks of the 'stop the boats' whilst another 1.14m immigrants wander into the UK under the current government's version of taking back control. 

To that you can add the performative nonsense that surrounds the Rwanda program. There is a nuance here though in that there is an economic difference between care workers/skilled immigrants who are here, working, paying taxes and are helping grow the economy and those that are arriving illegally and are then put through an expensive and time consuming validation process. The government really don't have answers to this, it'd appear that labour don't have a clue either; let's hope I'm wrong.

joondalupjambo

And if you cannot be bothered watching it on IPlayer here is the report about Immigration from the BBC website.  Of course most folk knew about this but the Tory party keeps on punting the boats issue and reducing those numbers.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68626430

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

By a huge factor.

1.4m visas issued according to the report and Panorama.  Of course many of these people arriving will leave at some point, e.g. students and their dependants, skilled workers, etc. so it is the net annual immigration figures that are also key.  And of course unlike what the Tories wanted, i.e. to reduce them, they too have increased considerably year on year.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

To that you can add the performative nonsense that surrounds the Rwanda program. There is a nuance here though in that there is an economic difference between care workers/skilled immigrants who are here, working, paying taxes and are helping grow the economy and those that are arriving illegally and are then put through an expensive and time consuming validation process. The government really don't have answers to this, it'd appear that labour don't have a clue either; let's hope I'm wrong.

No they don't have a clue and I suspect the other mob coming in won't have either. It's a bogeyman issue now and rather than accepting that we need migration to function the Tory's and their client journalists have demonised anyone coming to the UK and now it's a nigh on impossibloe job to sell migration as anything other than loads of brown people coiming to take wur jobs and break ar NHS init.

54 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

1.4m visas issued according to the report and Panorama.  Of course many of these people arriving will leave at some point, e.g. students and their dependants, skilled workers, etc. so it is the net annual immigration figures that are also key.  And of course unlike what the Tories wanted, i.e. to reduce them, they too have increased considerably year on year.

Aye the net migration was going on for 700,000. So not only is controlled migration out of control the boats just keep on coming.

Brilliant for Fargae and Tice. Feeds the grievance of the racist Tory vote 👍

Gundermann
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

We don't hear this enough, not at UK level anyway.

As to your second point, yes but this is an issue most western, and other, nations have. They usually have more asylum seekers or migrants than we do. It calls for a long-term global solution and not one that will sit easily on a tabloid front page or in a Tory/Labour soundbite. As long as we're fuelling war and poverty elsewhere, large numbers of migrants will the dividend.

Migrants usually contribute more to the Exchequer than UK born citizens do.

The Government's own figures will tell you that.

Migrants typically come here as adults, ready to work. The UK doesn't have to pay for their childhood upbringing, or education. They just go to work, pay taxes, pay rent, buy essential items, buy gas/leccy, purchase luxury goods, go to bars & restaurants and otherwise spend most of the money they earn.

They do send some money home or save some money, which is money being taken out of the system, but this is nowhere near the amount that would have been spent raising them from birth to working age.

And then, when their visa runs out, they go home, which means we don't have to pay them a pension either.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Oops

It was a horror show of a 'campaign' video. Talking about Khan 'mobilising forces' and all sorts of other hyperbollocks that would have had the gammons frothing at the mouth. Even with the state of the Tory party, I was surprised that they released it. 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Oops

I mind recently the Tory's London mayoral candidate, Susan Hall, claimed on Nick Ferarri's LBC programme that she'd been a victim of London's tsunami of crime under Sadiq Khan as she was 'pickpocketed' on the Underground as her Oyster card wallet had been stolen.

It turns out the silly bint had left it at her arse on the train and it was handed in to BTP complete with bank cards, money etc untouched. 

You'd have thought that little vignette of fuddery would've calmed them down a bit?

Mikey1874

It's too bad to even post. There are standards.

Good thing media advertised all the big improvements in the crime figures in London. 

I P Knightley
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I mind recently the Tory's London mayoral candidate, Susan Hall, claimed on Nick Ferarri's LBC programme that she'd been a victim of London's tsunami of crime under Sadiq Khan as she was 'pickpocketed' on the Underground as her Oyster card wallet had been stolen.

It turns out the silly bint had left it at her arse on the train and it was handed in to BTP complete with bank cards, money etc untouched. 

You'd have thought that little vignette of fuddery would've calmed them down a bit?

A little bit of further information to clarify and confirm that fuddery:

Susan Hall (who's currently getting very little support from the parliamentary Tories for her campaign) only started to tell the story of having been pickpocketed by Khan's Londoners after the wallet and her Oyster card had been returned to her completely intact. 

Rather than accept (& celebrate) that there are many decent people in the city and suburbs who didn't like the idea of a befuddled old woman losing her wallet, she decided that there had been some shifty people on the tube with her, one of whom must have picked her pocket for it. She had no explanation for why it had made its way back to her with the contents untouched. Even Nick Ferrari, who's a little bit Tory, was bamboozled by her lack of spotting the obvious. 

For those of you who are blissfully unaware of mayor-related fuddery going on in London, this is what the Conservative party has offered Londoners as their next Mayor:

TELEMMGLPICT000343522070_16900578234280_

The Mighty Thor
25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I wonder how this will play out.

I wonder how Orban feels about being platformed with a right wing lunatic. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Gundermann said:

I was brought up In poverty so where most people I know and 99% of us did alright . You’re over egging the poverty angle . It’s also rather insulting to addicts too . 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5672554/#:~:text=Addiction is a chronic brain,%2C personal%2C or social consequences.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy