More Tory lies

aussieh

Mikey1874
11 minutes ago, Cade said:

1992 saw a Tory majority of 21.
1997 saw a Labour majority of 179.

2001 Lab 167
2005 Lab 66
2010 Hung Parliament (Tory/Lib coalition)
2015 Tory 10
2017 Hung Parliament (Tory/DUP supply/confidence)
2019 Tory 80

• Replies 27.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brighton MP stepping down and Labour won the council off the Geeens last year. 

The next top target is Bristol West. 

They've nominated Siân Berry to contest Lucas' seat in Brighton. You could see it happening, but I don't think she'd be as popular.  

Bristol is a bit messy to call because of boundary redrawing.  I think the Greens' Bristol target is currently held by Labour.  I can't see the Greens winning a seat from Labour this time out.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm generally alright with numbers but I've never stopped to work out how they calculate, say, a 28% swing or what constitutes a landslide. 

I assume that a landslide is a significant shift from one party to another in terms of seats won. Whether a bigger landslide gives you a bigger majority would depend on how far behind you're coming.

Given that I can't remember how far behind Blair came from and that Tories have been giving up seats one by one for a while, I've no idea where this discussion is going. 

Indeed, but you're not employed as the deputy political editor of a national newspaper, and neither am I.  My gripe is about something even simpler.  The article said that Labour would win 50 more seats than Blair did in 1997, but would have a smaller majority. Unless the number of seats in Parliament has significantly increased since 1997 it's impossible for the government party to win more seats but have a smaller majority.  There are 9 fewer seats now than in 1997, and any political correspondent worth their salt ought to know that.  As it happens, he seems to have made a simple enough error before doing his sums, but it's unprofessional. 

Footballfirst

Now I wonder what Reform will do with whatever information they have on Gullis.

Cranston
On 24/03/2024 at 17:11, The Mighty Thor said:

The whole UK needs migrants. It always has. 

I'd prefer that Scotland set its own immigration policy rather than leave the racists and xenophobes of Westminster to decide it for us. 

You are completely confused. I have a vision of an open doors migration policy for Scotland. A new Scotland that builds new beautiful cities upon its vast open landscape for Scots and migrants to live in, yet I was called a troll. Why couldn't we build new town and cities that are just as beautiful as Edinburgh for ordinary people to live and thrive in? 

Edinburgh is actually on its downers. Shops, pubs and cafes etc closing in ever increasing numbers. Why not try something new for Scotland. A vast unbuilt country that could attract migrants from around the world to come here.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Cade said:

1992 saw a Tory majority of 21.
1997 saw a Labour majority of 179.

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Indeed, but you're not employed as the deputy political editor of a national newspaper, and neither am I.  My gripe is about something even simpler.  The article said that Labour would win 50 more seats than Blair did in 1997, but would have a smaller majority. Unless the number of seats in Parliament has significantly increased since 1997 it's impossible for the government party to win more seats but have a smaller majority.  There are 9 fewer seats now than in 1997, and any political correspondent worth their salt ought to know that.  As it happens, he seems to have made a simple enough error before doing his sums, but it's unprofessional. 

See - I didn't read that bit. I was all set to say, based on Cade's figures that I'd have counted the Labout swing to have been 200 in 1997.

Labour could have a swing of 230 or so and that would turn a 70 Tory majority into one of 160 for Labour, which them would've made sense.

But as you say, someone charged with telling us about all this can't do his sums.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Oooft.   Sounds like a political playground version of "my right-wing Dad's bigger than your right-wing Dad". 

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Oooft.   Sounds like a political playground version of "my right-wing Dad's bigger than your right-wing Dad". 

I've not seen Gullis having a pop at Reform Ltd but am now intrigued to know what he's been up to other that just being a colossal, simian arsepiece. It would be lovely if Tice was just stirring it but had the Tories panicking about their newly appointed deputy chairman.

Japan Jambo
15 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

perhaps nothing but folks will be currently trawling to find something. Cute move…

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've not seen Gullis having a pop at Reform Ltd but am now intrigued to know what he's been up to other that just being a colossal, simian arsepiece. It would be lovely if Tice was just stirring it but had the Tories panicking about their newly appointed deputy chairman.

I'd forgotten that they'd appointed him as the new Lee Anderson.   No idea what Gullis said about Tice - but they sort of deserve each other.  

I P Knightley
21 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Trans.

FB_IMG_1712092786129.thumb.jpg.fc4d9cef40d8837ffcba3f3fa842336a.jpg

Any idea where the statue is? Grantham?

Glasgow have their traffic cone but this place would beat them if the statue has a permanent dobber.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Trans.

FB_IMG_1712092786129.thumb.jpg.fc4d9cef40d8837ffcba3f3fa842336a.jpg

Oh your alive ? 

Lone Striker

Back on the Thames Water subject -

A mock road sign has been positioned along one road with the message 'Lambourne s--- show' written over it

The village of  Lambourn in leafy Berkshire  yesterday awash with shit & tampons  bubbling up through manhole covers & drains.

Thames  Water blaming it on high rainfall overwhelming the sewage system - but they said  its nothing to worry about  because the sewage will be well diluted by that same high rainwater.  No threat to humans or wildlife  apparently.

This was only 2 days after the Boat Race -

th?id=OIF.7TQSeNXfKhs1SAUMwLwOgg&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

.... when the winners were strongly advised NOT to do the usual celebration -

th?id=OIF.XvCKDID%2fqSvlBeurlqpndg&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

As a poster alluded to a few days ago, Thames Water now seems to have no shame about the situation - safe in the knowledge that the worst that can happen is the Govt spend tax-payers money to take them into public ownership.  

Victorian

Thames' shareholders have had their banquet at the trough and are clearly not arsed if they have to divest.  It's years more of running the company for cash or nothing.  They're never going to settle for modest dividends from a stable,  solvent,  investing business.  They'll just find some other scam to park their capital in.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Back on the Thames Water subject -The village of  Lambourn in leafy Berkshire  yesterday awash with shit & tampons  bubbling up through manhole covers & drains.

Thames  Water blaming it on high rainfall overwhelming the sewage system - but they said  its nothing to worry about  because the sewage will be well diluted by that same high rainwater.  No threat to humans or wildlife  apparently.

Why the **** are women disposing of these things doon the pan?

Harry Palmer
20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Any idea where the statue is? Grantham?

Glasgow have their traffic cone but this place would beat them if the statue has a permanent dobber.

It is in Grantham and is updated most weeks with various decorations etc.

Just on the local news and they now want to rename the museum after her (the statue is outside the museum). 

Edited by Harry Palmer
Additional info

Statts1976uk
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Yaas! Higher food prices.

I'm still voting Tory though as free speech has been outlawed in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68726852

Ah yes, the Tory mindset is that you can say what you want about anyone as long as you don't disrespect the flag or have £15m to donate to the coffers!!

periodictabledancer
18 hours ago, Gundermann said:

The brexit benefit has been truly remarkable. 

Just €55 in  customs charges to import 3 shirts from Portugal for me last year. 

Who cares about customer choice or inflation when your getting it right up Brussels though. Only a matter of time before other countries pull out , etc, etc, etc. 

The country is a joke. 

Lone Striker
18 hours ago, Gundermann said:

This news lends some weight to the wacky theory that Johnson deliberately manufactured his own demise in order to escape the fall out from the Brexit chaos that  his oven-ready deal would  inflict on the British public in the following few years.

th?id=OIP.IgV1Ch6Xv7oxD0-78oBEXAHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Victorian
12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

:cornette:

Must be a spoof.  

Japan Jambo
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Must be a spoof.  

Let's just hope so.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Let's just hope so.

Nope. It's a real genuine Conservatieve party 'attack ad'.

Like most of their actions of the last 14 years they've attacked their own feet with a 12 bore

Lone Striker
12 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

They've given up 

Incredible, isn't it.    Maybe I'm reading it wrongly, but this Wragg guy seems to be saying that he was so scared in case "Charlie" had naughty pics of them both (even though he couldn't remember ever meeting "Charlie") that he willingly gave the phone numbers of other gay MPs to him ? 

The mind games at work in this case aren't a million miles away from explaining how a majority  of    Tory MPs  "got Brexit done" at the behest  of Boris Johnson.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nope. It's a real genuine Conservatieve party 'attack ad'.

Like most of their actions of the last 14 years they've attacked their own feet with a 12 bore

Who's the guy standing behind the car ?   What the hell is that thing at this right temple ?  

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

They've given up 

“ gay dating app” I’ve yet to know someone who went on a “ date “ from Grinder 😎

Victorian

Spoof or not,  it's representative of a regularly occurring culture war.  The matter of who is for and who is against the quest for Britain being great,  powerful,  important.  It's often the case that Labour is better to avoid being dragged into a culture war,  but this one is an open goal and easily entered into and won.

The notion that Britain is great and should be unquestionably celebrated as being such,  as well as the accusation that anyone who is critical must be anti-UK,  anti-optimism,  anti-take back control,  pro-EU,  pro-foreign influence,  pro-Islamist,  pro-immigration can be answered very easily and the bogus argument and it's proponents completely disarmed and ridiculed.

When challenged on not being pro-British enough or not being sufficiently jingoistic,  Labour need only explain that the only obstacle to Britain being great or greater is the current government.  Explain that Britain IS great,  should be great,  seen and believed to be great.  A country of significant strategic,  diplomatic and commercial importance.  That,  instead of superficial supremacist slogans and symbols,  Labour would do the work required to actually make Britain great,  powerful,  important,  respected and trusted.  Whilst doing so,  they need to become better at the power of suggestion.  Whilst ridiculing the empty idolatry of a flag,  a national anthem,  out of date tropes,  suggest to people that they can and have already seen though it and rejected it.  "The British people can see that the Tories have run out of ideas and represent a threat to our country's international standing.  We will build the UK's importance and influence through hard work,  effort and deeds.  We take great pride in our flag and our heritage but it's not enough.  The Tories live in the past and can no longer be trusted with the UK's place in the world.  The British people can see that and deserve so much better".

Saying that your nation could and should be better is not "hating the nation" or "being unpatriotic"

Meekly accepting the shite state of the nation is.

Shooter McGavin
15 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

:cornette:

That has to be a parody account surely? 😄

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Gundermann said:

56d56848bd840a5a.jpg.4ee7ed89307a61242d79226fad122bd9.jpg

:gok:

There's so much more to pick apart in that collage:

* King Prince Charles should be spitting feathers that his image has been used in a party political piece.

* Apart from the Red Arrow jets, one of the others is an American made F35, the other is a Eurofighter Typhoon - a celebration of the success of European collaboration.

* Somewhere in the background they've effed around with the union flag when only a fortnight ago, they had their panties in a bunch over messing with the union flag. 

* Now women featured.

* England's football team there to represent the 'power' of the UK. There you have it, Scotland, Wales and NornIron. Not even a half decent version of the England team but I'm certain the likes of Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford won't be too happy about being used to promote the Tories. 

* And there's more...

45 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Incredible, isn't it.    Maybe I'm reading it wrongly, but this Wragg guy seems to be saying that he was so scared in case "Charlie" had naughty pics of them both (even though he couldn't remember ever meeting "Charlie") that he willingly gave the phone numbers of other gay MPs to him ? 

The mind games at work in this case aren't a million miles away from explaining how a majority  of    Tory MPs  "got Brexit done" at the behest  of Boris Johnson.

I think the story has confirmed that Wragg sent the guy dick pics, so there's no "in case" about it. 

Folk can do whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes and relationships but there will be plenty judging this episode through the lens of the fact that he's sent dick pics to another gay man. 

What should be the greatest point of concern, by far, is how unutterably STUPID this guy has been and how totally untrustworthy he is as a human being, let alone an MP. 

40 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Who's the guy standing behind the car ?   What the hell is that thing at this right temple ?  

I'm putting 50p on it being Christopher Nolan behind a big, Hollywood (USA) camera. 

Mikey1874

Not going so well for the Rishi led comeback.

And it could get worse.

Victorian

Wurs wur Penny,  the kiddy on naval officer,  with the big sword?

:seething:

Lone Striker
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

There's so much more to pick apart in that collage:

* King Prince Charles should be spitting feathers that his image has been used in a party political piece.

* Apart from the Red Arrow jets, one of the others is an American made F35, the other is a Eurofighter Typhoon - a celebration of the success of European collaboration.

* Somewhere in the background they've effed around with the union flag when only a fortnight ago, they had their panties in a bunch over messing with the union flag. 

* Now women featured.

* England's football team there to represent the 'power' of the UK. There you have it, Scotland, Wales and NornIron. Not even a half decent version of the England team but I'm certain the likes of Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford won't be too happy about being used to promote the Tories. 

* And there's more...

I think the story has confirmed that Wragg sent the guy dick pics, so there's no "in case" about it. 

Folk can do whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes and relationships but there will be plenty judging this episode through the lens of the fact that he's sent dick pics to another gay man. 

What should be the greatest point of concern, by far, is how unutterably STUPID this guy has been and how totally untrustworthy he is as a human being, let alone an MP. 

I'm putting 50p on it being Christopher Nolan behind a big, Hollywood (USA) camera. 

All  very pertinent points there. 

The montage looks like its been put together by a  20 y.o. intern using  20 y.o. photo editing & design  software after being given an instruction to find pics of some "English  power icons".   Conservative HQ  social media ops also appears to be run by 20 y.o. interns with absolutely no awareness of what naffness looks like.    Its an utter embarrassment   

I suspect the Palace will be issuing a statement very soon    

Re the Wragg story - yes, even if he claims not to have ever met "Charlie",  he clearly must have done something dodgy previously.     As you say, he's shown himself to be a totally untrustworthy  security risk with no self-awareness - despite his election pamphlet describing him as a fine upstanding pillar of the community.   

Victorian

It should have been a criminal offence for a parliamentarian to cause themselves to be compromised (per a defintion),  and certainly to cause the personal details of others to be compromised.  

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It should have been a criminal offence for a parliamentarian to cause themselves to be compromised (per a defintion),  and certainly to cause the personal details of others to be compromised.  

There will, no doubt, be another government embarrassment along shortly to steal the thunder from this one but in the mean time, we can expect to read about 'errors of judgement' and the like by way of excuse. The story's already being shaped that poor him, he was put into an impossible position by an unscrupulous cad.

My argument would be that it shows absolutely no judgement or awareness. He's decided to send a photo of his junk to a stranger and, instead of 'firming it' (as the youngsters say) with a 'so what?' when threatened, he's decided to dob in a dozen of his muckers in government. I've no idea who they are, nor do I really have any interest in finding out as it just seems prurient. Unless or until it comes out that they then did exactly the same - in which case, name and shame them for their ineptitude but not for being closeted gays. 

Wragg is unfit to be an MP. His should be the next by-election. 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

All  very pertinent points there. 

The montage looks like its been put together by a  20 y.o. intern using  20 y.o. photo editing & design  software after being given an instruction to find pics of some "English  power icons".   Conservative HQ  social media ops also appears to be run by 20 y.o. interns with absolutely no awareness of what naffness looks like.    Its an utter embarrassment   

I suspect the Palace will be issuing a statement very soon    

Re the Wragg story - yes, even if he claims not to have ever met "Charlie",  he clearly must have done something dodgy previously.     As you say, he's shown himself to be a totally untrustworthy  security risk with no self-awareness - despite his election pamphlet describing him as a fine upstanding pillar of the community.   

Something was upstanding in his pics presumably. 

JudyJudyJudy

I’ve no really read a lot about this 

“ scandal “ so what has the MP actually did which is unlawful ? Or causing people to get their knickers in a twist ? 

vegas-voss

It's mental how they are painting the picture that it's not really his fault and folk should feel sorry for him as he is a victim.The guy has exposed others and then two of the idiot MPs also sent dick pics 🤣

vegas-voss
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ve no really read a lot about this 

“ scandal “ so what has the MP actually did which is unlawful ? Or causing people to get their knickers in a twist ? 

He passed on the numbers of other MPs and staff to whoever he was chatting to on Grinder without their knowledge.

When it was coming to light what was happening he had a ah that might have been me that done that moment 🤣

Edited by vegas-voss