Gangster Films

cosanostra

winchester 73

Brighton Rock, a classic. May be 60 years old and in black and white but

it caused a stir in it's day and still well worth a look.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brighton Rock, a classic. May be 60 years old and in black and white but

it caused a stir in it's day and still well worth a look.

Read the book at school - tremendous.

La Haine, I have.

Things to do in Denver and Killing Zoe are below average I think.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I quite liked Lucky Number Slevin, not quite your typical gangster/crime film, if you could label it as such. I'll throw Sin City in there for a good crime film although its probably been mentioned previously.

Agree with others on Once Upon A Time In America, brilliant film, although you need to watch it with no interruptions.

As an aside, any watch Dead Men's Shoes earlier on Film Four? The one the guy Meadows did before This is England. Very good.

One from the 80's that i loved then, Prizzi's Honor. No idea how good it would be now but seemed great at the time.

Say What Again
Sexy Beast is brilliant.

Ben Kingsley is mental in that film.

YES YES YES YES YES etc

You're the ****ing problem you ****ing Dr White honkin' jam-rag ****ing spunk-bubble

:rofl: Quality insult

Say What Again
Sopranos seasons 1-6

The Wire seasons 1-5

untouchables

I know it's not really gangster, but if you like those above, what about one of my favourite TV series of all time?

oz4za9.jpg

Seasons 1-5 are out on DVD now.

I know it's not really gangster, but if you like those above, what about one of my favourite TV series of all time?

oz4za9.jpg

OZ was class.

I quite liked Lucky Number Slevin, not quite your typical gangster/crime film, if you could label it as such. I'll throw Sin City in there for a good crime film although its probably been mentioned previously.

Agree with others on Once Upon A Time In America, brilliant film, although you need to watch it with no interruptions.

As an aside, any watch Dead Men's Shoes earlier on Film Four? The one the guy Meadows did before This is England. Very good.

I quite enjoyed Smoking Aces as well which was kind of similar to this.

The People's Chimp
Have not seen that, another i'll be looking out.

On the subject of Snoop's acting career - how great is he in Starsky & Hutch? I know it's cheesy but I just can't help liking that movie.

You need to check out urban menace. snoop plays an insane ghetto preacher hell bent on revenge against gang members including big pun and fat joe. big pun wears a big pun t shirt throughout.

It is truly awful It's so bad it must have been made as a tax dodge or while they were all of their heads. I can't do it justice really, you should check it out.

and for a good gangster flick, check out the beat that my heart skipped.

The People's Chimp
Layer cake?

i watched that again the other week. it's pretty good, although daniel craig acts with all the expression of a sideboard.

oz4za9.jpg

I'm up to episode 6 of season 4.

Some great stuff, some incredibly silly.

I love king of New York also i would put the departed down as a mob movie but that might be too recent.

From Dusk Till Dawn ?

It's a vampire movie

And True Romance is on the original list.

Cracking film though.

some incredibly silly.

Aye some of the later Adebesi scenes in particular were a bit odd to say the least. Great series though.

Anyone seen 'Rise of The Foot Soldier'??

Any comments?

I loved it.

Its a grower

Hated it first time I saw it but got it on DVD and its not too bad, the Essex Boys version with sean bean is better though

From Dusk Till Dawn ?

It's a vampire movie

I would say the second half of the films a vampire film the first halfs about a couple of gangsters evading the fbi after one of them escapes from court.

Aye some of the later Adebesi scenes in particular were a bit odd to say the least. Great series though.

What about the aging pills plotline?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Let Him Have It

Copland

Payback

1. Didn't like it

2. Very good actually, hugely underrated.

3. Didn't like it

How do you guys rate Ronin and Heat?

I absolutely love both of them but i recall them both being harshly reviewed when they were released. Ronin especially was slaughtered.

1. Didn't like it

2. Very good actually, hugely underrated.

3. Didn't like it

How do you guys rate Ronin and Heat?

I absolutely love both of them but i recall them both being harshly reviewed when they were released. Ronin especially was slaughtered.

Loved Ronin but i think im one of the few people that didn't like Heat that much.

Loved Ronin but i think im one of the few people that didn't like Heat that much.

I think heat is brilliant.

Although i really like it, every time i see it, i always want Pacino to be the one that dies at the end. De Niro is so damn cool in that film and Pacino overacts horribly at times.

The "gimme what you got!!!!" shouts in particular, make me cringe every time i see the film.

Veronica Guerin - Very powerful and some disturbing scenes especially when he kicks the **** out of her outside his house.

Although i really like it, every time i see it, i always want Pacino to be the one that dies at the end. De Niro is so damn cool in that film and Pacino overacts horribly at times.

The "gimme what you got!!!!" shouts in particular, make me cringe every time i see the film.

Thats pretty much Pacino in everything now.

Really try and get Crime Story the series on DVD especially if you like things by Michael Mann.Check it out on imdb it has a critic rating of 8.9,it really is one of the best crime hows ever.

Thats pretty much Pacino in everything now.

You may have a point there but he's still one of my favourite actors.

I got Sea of Love from Amazon for ?1.29 last week. Cheesy, 1980's, basic instinct stylee cop drama. It's incredibly cheesy but it's got John Goodman in it as well and it was well worth getting.

You may have a point there but he's still one of my favourite actors.

I got Sea of Love from Amazon for ?1.29 last week. Cheesy, 1980's, basic instinct stylee cop drama. It's incredibly cheesy but it's got John Goodman in it as well and it was well worth getting.

Yeah i still love Pacino aswell.Him and De Niro are my favourite all time actors.I wish Scorsesse had made the film with De Niro and Pacino he talked about before he ended up making Gangs Of New York(which was a pile of pish imo)

De Niro and Pacino are to star together again in serial killer film the Rightous Kill as dectective partners.

I liked the Tarantino scripted Killing Zoe.

Don't know if it is really classed as a gangster film but Leon is a good view.

The slightly silly Things to do in Denver when your dead is worth watching just for the hitman Mr Shhh.

The original Get Carter is a classic.

Long Good Friday is the absolute daddy of British gangster films. The look on Hoskins face at the end......

Best part of the whole film!

Suspect Device

if you like your gangsters with a bit comedy try Johnny Dangerously

"cork surging somenameech"

Dr Ian Malcolm
Yeah i still love Pacino aswell.Him and De Niro are my favourite all time actors.I wish Scorsesse had made the film with De Niro and Pacino he talked about before he ended up making Gangs Of New York(which was a pile of pish imo)

Didn't think Gangs of New York was as bad as that, but could have been so much better. Daniel Day Lewis was good, but IMO the other characters were cast wrong. If you want a character to appear even mildly hard, you don't cast Leonardo Di Caprio. Cameron Diaz, as good as she is to look at, just didn't suit that type of film.

Apparantly the book is good, need to get around to reading it.

Also, don't think its been mentioned, but Road to Perdition is great.

Archived