• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maroonlegions

• Maple Leaf

• ri Alban

• deesidejambo

I have been wondering how they tested the drone to fly in the extremely thin Martian atmosphere. Vacuum chamber maybe. And we still don't yet know if it will indeed fly.

Relative to Earth, the air on Mars is extremely thin. Standard sea-level air pressure on Earth is 1,013 millibars. On Mars the surface pressure varies through the year, but it averages 6 to 7 millibars.

That's less than one percent of sea level pressure here. To experience that pressure on Earth, you would need to go to an altitude of about 45 kilometers (28 miles).

5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I have been wondering how they tested the drone to fly in the extremely thin Martian atmosphere. Vacuum chamber maybe. And we still don't yet know if it will indeed fly.

Yes they used a chamber to simulate the thickness of the air on Mars and used lines attached to the drone to simulate the weaker gravity.

LOTS of pictures expected to be released at some point today, including the video of the sky crane descent

:wow:

Hagar the Horrible
On 22/02/2021 at 03:29, JFK-1 said:

To be fair the parachute worked to slow down, and I have had a drone up Ben Glass and Ben Lawyers, Parachute was made in Scotland

There’s a panoramic pic of the night sky on Mars taken from the rover. It was on fb but can’t find it anywhere now. Incredible 

Horatio Caine

Looked like quite a nice day on Mars.  wee bit of a breeze which would increase the wind chill I suppose...

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Cade said:

pia24422-c1-3000.jpg

What a gorgeous pic.

Wait 'til we get there and make an erse of the place.

11 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

There’s a panoramic pic of the night sky on Mars taken from the rover. It was on fb but can’t find it anywhere now. Incredible 

The one you probably saw has been heavily edited to have a star-field.

This is not visible from the surface of Mars.

The guy that made that 360 VR picture has now been forced to add a disclaimer in the description of his picture, admitting to the edit.

The one I posted above is the original raw photo.

Edited by Cade
Jamhammer
1 hour ago, Cade said:

The guy that made that 360 VR picture has now been forced to add a disclaimer in the description of his picture, admitting to the edit.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Ah that’s probably why it disappeared. Cheers