Astronomy / The Universe

graygo

J.T.F.Robertson

Totally mind-blowing. Yet in this unimaginable vastness some still persist in using "if" when ruminating over the possibilities of life outside of li'l old us.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• JFK-1

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Totally mind-blowing. Yet in this unimaginable vastness some still persist in using "if" when ruminating over the possibilities of life outside of li'l old us.

It's inevitable, surely?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

My supposition (FWIW) is that once a civilisation becomes advanced enough to achieve interstellar travel they will be advanced enough also to evade our notice as they will know that any meeting of civilisations at vastly different levels of technology never ends well for the less advanced, no matter how well intentioned.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

FFS! Make yer fecking mind up. 

The whole point is that evidence never comes in all at once, yet science will follow the evidence wherever it may lead. Rather than sticking stubbornly to an old belief in the face of new evidence, science evolves, and our understanding gets enriched in the process.

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

My supposition (FWIW) is that once a civilisation becomes advanced enough to achieve interstellar travel they will be advanced enough also to evade our notice as they will know that any meeting of civilisations at vastly different levels of technology never ends well for the less advanced, no matter how well intentioned.

The prime directive

maroonlegions
9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

FFS! Make yer fecking mind up. 

You talking to me or the scientific individuals who put this forward in the link. FFS make yer mind up.   :wtfvlad:

No reply to Inspectors post i see.???

Was too difficult ??? 

Wee Crankie should make her mind up tae, mask or nae fecking masks..:rofl: 

Edited by maroonlegions

23 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Penrose is a heavy hitter, so we should listen to what he has to say, but he isn't the first person to suggest this.  Also, he calls it "this crazy theory of mine".  What he is suggesting is a hypothesis, and it's a very long way from being a theory.

J.T.F.Robertson
15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It's inevitable, surely?

An INFINITE universe, near infinite number of galaxies some containing millions, even billions of stars, many with their accompanying satellite planets.

It's a no-brainer (luckily for me) with perhaps the "infinite" word rearing its heed again.

On 30/12/2020 at 10:26, Maple Leaf said:

Penrose is a heavy hitter, so we should listen to what he has to say, but he isn't the first person to suggest this.  Also, he calls it "this crazy theory of mine".  What he is suggesting is a hypothesis, and it's a very long way from being a theory.

The big bang theory has passed a number of tests and took decades to become the prominent theory. Support for big bang and the preceding steady state theory was pretty evenly split until a a feature predicted by the big bang theory was discovered.

The big bang theory predicted there should be a type of echo of the expansion coming from every direction in the sky. Big bang theory was first proposed in the 1920's but the predicted feature wasn't found until the 1960's.

The was the cosmic microwave background or CMB. When it was discovered big bang theory became dominant and has remained so ever since. Which isn't to say that wont change.

But a cyclic universe to me isn't a great deal different as such. Pretty much the same thing except it's endlessly repeating.

On 29/12/2020 at 16:12, maroonlegions said:

Stunning image captured by NASAs  deep space  telescope Hubble ;

Arp 273 | Colliding galaxies and cosmic dances. Credit: NASA/ESA/Hubble
Processing : Bogdan Borz 2020
Image may contain: night

Amazing images but absolutely nothing in comparison to what the James Webb telescope will be able to see when launched this year.

Comparing the capabilities of Hubble to the James Webb is like comparing a hand held magnifying glass to a digital microscope. I stole the comparison from the following video.

What Are the Capabilities of the Most Powerful Telescope Ever? James Webb

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/12/2020 at 16:52, maroonlegions said:

I'm surprised they're making out that this is some kind of new, ground breaking hypothesis. 

A Big Bounce idea, which this seems to be, has been around for ages. Indeed, it's been my preferred theory for years. 

On 24/01/2021 at 13:40, Norm said:

I'm surprised they're making out that this is some kind of new, ground breaking hypothesis. 

A Big Bounce idea, which this seems to be, has been around for ages. Indeed, *it's been my preferred theory for years. 

*That's it then, solved. 

On 24/01/2021 at 07:40, Norm said:

A Big Bounce idea, which this seems to be, has been around for ages. Indeed, it's been my preferred theory for years. 

Indeed, the idea has been around since at least the mid 20th century. Recent evidence suggests the expansion of the universe is accelerating with the math ruling out a rebound. But in saying that I don't know if an idea proposed by physicist Lawrence Krauss may still suggest a series of universes.

He wrote a book called 'A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing', in which he describes how the universe may have begun from absolutely nothing. Literally nothing, not even space existed.

Now presume his hypothesis were correct. Would that mean even if the universe spreads out, ultimately fizzles out till there is absolutely nothing, not even particles left, that it could begin again, from absolutely nothing?

Lawrence Krauss Explains How You Get A Universe From Nothing

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

*That's it then, solved. 

Heh! Literally as soon I posted that, I thought it sounded really wanky. 

I just mean that out of all the various things you hear whenever you're flicking through the telly and stumble on some Prof Brian Cox programme or Discovery/Nat Geo show, the bounce one made most sense to me. 

I'm most definitely not suggesting I actually have any real knowledge about this. Just shit gleaned from reading articles and watching telly. 

SN9 launch scrapped two days in a row.

FAA and SpaceX playing chicken.

Rocket has been rolled out, fully prepped, fuelled and ready to launch in each of the last two days only for FAA to refuse launch permission.

18 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Indeed, the idea has been around since at least the mid 20th century. Recent evidence suggests the expansion of the universe is accelerating with the math ruling out a rebound. But in saying that I don't know if an idea proposed by physicist Lawrence Krauss may still suggest a series of universes.

He wrote a book called 'A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing', in which he describes how the universe may have begun from absolutely nothing. Literally nothing, not even space existed.

Now presume his hypothesis were correct. Would that mean even if the universe spreads out, ultimately fizzles out till there is absolutely nothing, not even particles left, that it could begin again, from absolutely nothing?

Lawrence Krauss Explains How You Get A Universe From Nothing

I have that book by Lawrence Krauss and even claim to have read it, but it's waaaaay over my head. 

SpaceX going for another attempt at a 10km Starship test today.

Still a few hours away from launch but at least this time they made sure they had FAA approval first.

Went up perfect, glided back down ok, only one engine re-ignited, didn't flip over correctly, big boom as it hit the ground.

Top entertainment.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Went up perfect, glided back down ok, only one engine re-ignited, didn't flip over correctly, big boom as it hit the ground.

Top entertainment.

That's two spectacular failures in a row.  Expensive.

Richest man in the world can afford it.

Next one is already on the pad for the next test flight.

They're only made from welded stainless steel, the expensive bit it the engines and they have dozens of them being churned out.

On 22/12/2020 at 22:24, hughesie27 said:

Managed to capture this with my phone tonight. Zoomed in obviously. 

20201222_222131.jpg

On 23/12/2020 at 05:14, Tommy Brown said:

That imo is bloody incredible.

Well done.

On 23/12/2020 at 06:53, Governor Tarkin said:

That's a belter. What kind of ****ing phone have you got!

On 23/12/2020 at 10:21, hughesie27 said:

🤣

Sorry guys. Chored it off Twitter. Someone took it with their telescope in Melbourne.

Okay this time I promise I really did take the photo with my phone! About 9pm this evening.

149321566_10158971585284019_651840052516

45 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Okay this time I promise I really did take the photo with my phone! About 9pm this evening.

Lovely picture.

I can see Orion, but that's the extent of my astronomy skills.

3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It is a great photo.

Not Edinburgh, there's no light pollution.

I don't really see any stars within stars of orion.

Ive got the app ‘night sky’ it’s probably not what would interesting the real stargazers  but I enjoy knowing where the planets etc are, I’ve always enjoyed astronomy read Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time brilliant ! Although I never understood it fully lol.

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

It is a great photo.

Not Edinburgh, there's no light pollution.

I don't really see any stars within stars of orion.

Sighthill.

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Lovely picture.

I can see Orion, but that's the extent of my astronomy skills.

If you look at the very centre then off to the right hand side there are some closely packed stars that look a bit like a pot. That's the Big Dipper. Outside kf that though I'm lost.

Going to be a landing by a NASA rover on Mars later tonight. Or, fingers crossed, maybe I should say an attempted landing. The major mission of this rover, the rover is called 'Perseverance', is to search for signs of past life on Mars.

And you can watch live as the rover goes through what the NASA scientists call "7 minutes of terror". The 7 minutes is the approximate time it takes from first touching the edge of the Mars atmosphere to touchdown on the surface.

The Mars landing will start streaming from 7.15pm UK time on Thursday 18 February.

Edited by JFK-1

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Going to be a landing by a NASA rover on Mars later tonight. Or, fingers crossed, maybe I should say an attempted landing. The major mission of this rover, the rover is called 'Perseverance', is to search for signs of past life on Mars.

And you can watch live as the rover goes through what the NASA scientists call "7 minutes of terror". The 7 minutes is the approximate time it takes from first touching the edge of the Mars atmosphere to touchdown on the surface.

The Mars landing will start streaming from 7.15pm UK time on Thursday 18 February.

👍

Governor Tarkin
On 12/02/2021 at 10:26, hughesie27 said:

If you look at the very centre then off to the right hand side there are some closely packed stars that look a bit like a pot. That's the Big Dipper. Outside kf that though I'm lost.

That's the pleiades, mate.

40 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The space Jews that built the pyramids came from there. 👍

Think you might be confusing your pyramid building space Jews with fire starting space laser Jews. Somebody needs to consult Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Video demonstrating how the Spirit rover was landed in 2004. This is more of a bounce down than a touchdown.

Todays attempt will use a different method. Retro rocket sky crane will, hopefully,  lower it to the surface then detach.

Key timings for Perseverance's landing

• Contact with atmosphere: 20:48 GMT
  • Parachute deployed: 20:52 GMT
  • Powered descent: 20:54 GMT
  • Wheels down: 20:55 GMT

I'm guessing that's the estimated times of when we will get news from the rover rather than actual times of these events since Mars can be up to 20 light minutes or so away.

Fascinating live stream from NASA ...... huge landmark in human scientific achievements.   MInutes away now,,,,,