Even More SNP Nonsense

Stuart Lyon

jack D and coke
37 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I can see the point of replacement if the signs are in the Gàedhealtachd but not in the Lowlands or the North East where English sits alongside quite separate Scottish languages. Did Haymarket ever have a Gaelic place name?

Even then, there are differences between Gaelic as spoken at either end of the Hebrides so which to use?

I have a fondness for Gaelic and Gaelic culture - it is the language that both my parents grew up with and used daily. If my early years had not been on the Mainland, I might be able to do more than get the gist of the commentary on Alba’s coverage. 

I do not agree with the SNP dressing themselves up in the Gaelic language just as they do with the Saltire. Similarly, there are better things to do than invent “Police Scotland” or amalgamate BTP for no better reason than it being named  “BRITISH Transport Police” (they certainly can’t claim efficiency or cost saving). 

How many times....Police Scotland was a Tory idea. Northern Ireland has one too btw. 

Personally I don’t think it was a great idea but apparently it saves about £1 billion per year. 

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• deesidejambo

• Pans Jambo

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jambo lodge
43 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I can see the point of replacement if the signs are in the Gàedhealtachd but not in the Lowlands or the North East where English sits alongside quite separate Scottish languages. Did Haymarket ever have a Gaelic place name?

Even then, there are differences between Gaelic as spoken at either end of the Hebrides so which to use?

I have a fondness for Gaelic and Gaelic culture - it is the language that both my parents grew up with and used daily. If my early years had not been on the Mainland, I might be able to do more than get the gist of the commentary on Alba’s coverage. 

I do not agree with the SNP dressing themselves up in the Gaelic language just as they do with the Saltire. Similarly, there are better things to do than invent “Police Scotland” or amalgamate BTP for no better reason than it being named  “BRITISH Transport Police” (they certainly can’t claim efficiency or cost saving). 

Wholeheartedly agree with you, both my parents were native Gaelic speakers and in a sense I object to the language being politicised. The government however should be applauded for supporting Gaelic culture, Gaelic schools and other initiatives.  There are indeed different dialects of the language my Dad used to say that Lewis Gaelic was different to that spoken on the mainland in Sutherland. Might be sense in road signs north of Inverness being in Gaelic but only to emphasise that you are now in the Highlands.  

SpruceBringsteen
2 hours ago, Doogz said:

Not sure anyway hates Gaelic - however I do question the need/value for money with duplicating signs etc. for a language only spoken by about 1% of the population.

2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

There is no hatred of Gaelic. There is resentment and perplexity that money is spent on Gaelic in places where nobody speaks Gaelic and never has and that people are expected to care about it. Being pressurised to care about it is at the core of the problem. Some of us have a similar reaction to celebrities. I care not a jot about which actor is shagging which singer, but it can be difficult to avoid hearing about it. Some people react the same way about football.  There are about 55,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland, all of whom also speak English. There is zero reason why it should be on signs and police cars all over Scotland. Basque language signs all over Mallorca or Welsh language signs all over Belfast would be equally bizarre.

How much is/was spent on the signs that seem to be causing all the bother?

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Aye the tourists came to see some signs  :cornette_dog:

You still to your full English breakfast and pints of Carling abroad whilst humming the Dambusters tune in the heid. :lol:

Space Mackerel
50 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

How much is/was spent on the signs that seem to be causing all the bother?

Billions and billions according to some of the more rabid Yoon dafties.

Arnold Rothstein
54 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You still to your full English breakfast and pints of Carling abroad whilst humming the Dambusters tune in the heid. :lol:

Because in Spaceyland you’re either a proper Scot (independence fanboy) or a Britnat/Yoon (UJ hat wearing bigot who supports Rangers). There is no middle ground. 

Space Mackerel
6 minutes ago, Arnold Rothstein said:

Because in Spaceyland you’re either a proper Scot (independence fanboy) or a Britnat/Yoon (UJ hat wearing bigot who supports Rangers). There is no middle ground. 

Thats your land youve imagined in your head, not mine. 

Thunderstruck
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

How many times....Police Scotland was a Tory idea. Northern Ireland has one too btw. 

Personally I don’t think it was a great idea but apparently it saves about £1 billion per year. 

It could have been an idea thought up by Einstein but that doesn’t make it a wise course of action. Then, of course, the Laurel and Hardy of Scottish politics (Salmond and McAskill) were let loose to implement it. The rest is history. 

For “savings” read “cuts”. 

Pans Jambo
4 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Do you feel excluded when you go to France or Spain and the signs are not in English?

I don't see how anybody would feel excluded by reading a sign in one of their native languages (English) in a country in which English is the native language of the vast majority.

Also, if it is a question of social inclusion, why aren't signs in Polish or Spanish or Punjabi or Urdu? They have at least as many speakers in Scotland.

What a load of shite questions. 

Gaelic is a Scottish language (other than Irish & Welsh Gaels). Whay would there be Polish? 

if France wanted to put say German on their roadsigns I wouldnt give a feck. 

Space Mackerel
Just now, Thunderstruck said:

It could have been an idea thought up by Einstein but that doesn’t make it a wise course of action. Then, of course, the Laurel and Hardy of Scottish politics (Salmond and McAskill) were let loose to implement it. The rest is history. 

Im completely bamboozled by this argument that Scotland with a population of 5 million plus needs all these old Police forces?

I mean it is the digital age now.

Did you start your tears and snotters when they scrapped the old Regiments and created The Royal Regiment of Scotland?

Of course you didnt? :)

Space Mackerel
20 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Gaelic is a Scottish language (other than Irish & Welsh Gaels). Whay would there be Polish? 

There is a French/German/Italian/English road sign when you leave the M74 and join the A702 to Edinburgh at Abbington, says stay on the left or you'll get killed in a head on collision.

Hell mend them :)

Edited by Space Mackerel

Gorgiewave
33 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You said " Perhaps its for social inclusion for the tens of thousands (& growing) of the Scottish population who do speak Gaelic."

There are tens of thousands (& growing) of the Scottish population who speak Polish. Very few or none are native English speakers. Some speak very little English. Why not socially include them by putting road signs in Polish and putting Polish for Police on police cars.

Thunderstruck
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Im completely bamboozled by this argument that Scotland with a population of 5 million plus needs all these old Police forces?

I mean it is the digital age now.

Did you start your tears and snotters when they scrapped the old Regiments and created The Royal Regiment of Scotland?

Of course you didnt? :)

The Forces based on the Regional Councils were actually an ideal size for the population/geography served.

A police force has to earn the consent and confidence of the public - easier to do in smaller forces focussed on the needs of its communities and answerable to local politicians. 

Then there are the “savings” which, I’m sure you have noticed, has seen the withdrawal entirely from areas and communities which are now policed with their equivalent of the Royal Bank Van. 

As for the Regiments - sorry to burst another of your dwindling reserve of bubbles - that was not a good idea either. The regimental system served the Army well for many hundreds of years and simple economics were not a reason for the wholesale abandonment of that tradition and severance of links with communities (note the comparison with changes to policing). I clearly recall Col Robert Watson making a very forceful case for retention of the Scottish Regiments. 

Arnold Rothstein
51 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Thats your land youve imagined in your head, not mine. 

Nah mate, in my land no one gives a shit.

Space Mackerel

Nah mate, in my land no one gives a shit.

Probably best not to post on this thread then. People might get the wrong idea you do ?

Arnold Rothstein
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Probably best not to post on this thread then. People might get the wrong idea you do ?

This thread is about bottled water in WH Smith.

Space Mackerel

This thread is about bottled water in WH Smith.

:rofl:

Space Mackerel
24 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

The Forces based on the Regional Councils were actually an ideal size for the population/geography served.

A police force has to earn the consent and confidence of the public - easier to do in smaller forces focussed on the needs of its communities and answerable to local politicians. 

Then there are the “savings” which, I’m sure you have noticed, has seen the withdrawal entirely from areas and communities which are now policed with their equivalent of the Royal Bank Van. 

As for the Regiments - sorry to burst another of your dwindling reserve of bubbles - that was not a good idea either. The regimental system served the Army well for many hundreds of years and simple economics were not a reason for the wholesale abandonment of that tradition and severance of links with communities (note the comparison with changes to policing). I clearly recall Col Robert Watson making a very forceful case for retention of the Scottish Regiments. 

Gone but not forgotten 

6 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

There is no hatred of Gaelic. There is resentment and perplexity that money is spent on Gaelic in places where nobody speaks Gaelic and never has and that people are expected to care about it. Being pressurised to care about it is at the core of the problem. Some of us have a similar reaction to celebrities. I care not a jot about which actor is shagging which singer, but it can be difficult to avoid hearing about it. Some people react the same way about football.  There are about 55,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland, all of whom also speak English. There is zero reason why it should be on signs and police cars all over Scotland. Basque language signs all over Mallorca or Welsh language signs all over Belfast would be equally bizarre.

If you're feeling pressurised to care about Gaelic all the way over in Madrid I'd say the money has went further than anyone could have expected. Job well done.

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Sraman said:

If you're feeling pressurised to care about Gaelic all the way over in Madrid I'd say the money has went further than anyone could have expected. Job well done.

:lol:

Space Mackerel

When you know the Yoons biggest gripe in their wee world is “road signs,” you know the games up. 

****ing “road signs” :rofl: 

Mars plastic
7 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

48% and rising :)

Its all over GW, you know it too.

Crikey, not been in here for yonks and here you are still peddling the same pish. 

As GW said, independence ain’t ever happening. Not now, not ever. 

Edited by Mars plastic

Space Mackerel
7 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Crikey, not been in here for yonks and here you are still peddling the same pish. 

As GW said, independence ain’t ever happening. Not now, not ever. 

48% and rising :)

Its all over MP, you know it too. 

Pans Jambo
2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

You said " Perhaps its for social inclusion for the tens of thousands (& growing) of the Scottish population who do speak Gaelic."

There are tens of thousands (& growing) of the Scottish population who speak Polish. Very few or none are native English speakers. Some speak very little English. Why not socially include them by putting road signs in Polish and putting Polish for Police on police cars.

BECAUSE ITS NOT POLAND YA TIT!!!

38 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

BECAUSE ITS NOT POLAND YA TIT!!!

But in this part of Scotland, we're predominately Anglo Saxons who have never spoken Gaelic. So what's it got to do with us ?

SpruceBringsteen

Must say I'm surprised not to get an answer to my earlier question. However, from my own research I've managed to find out that the execrable road signs causing so much consternation at home - and across the continent - cost Transport Scotland around £285k a year.

I'm now pleased that we've been able to put a price on cultural cleansing.

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

To be honest it was a cost saving measure that the three main parties backed. Not any one party necessarily came up with it. The issues that we see with it now are operational and farcical and open to critique. Whilst merging BTP into it seems utterly pointless and merely jingoistic. 

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Must say I'm surprised not to get an answer to my earlier question. However, from my own research I've managed to find out that the execrable road signs causing so much consternation at home - and across the continent - cost Transport Scotland around £285k a year.

How much is it to fire a Storm Shadow missile at an empty hoose in Syria? 

Just for the record...?

SpruceBringsteen
6 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

How much is it to fire a Storm Shadow missile at an empty hoose in Syria? 

Just for the record...?

About 14,000 signs...

jack D and coke
11 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Really laughable answer, the hatred you have for the SNP is hilarious man :lol: you’re like a few posters on political threads, clearly not daft but hilariously seething just because the SNP actually exist. 

If the tories weren’t such a shower and Ruth had more than one actual policy they’d have implemented it too themselves let’s not kid on here. 

8 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Sorry - was offline last night: but I can't say I found it that easy any consistent answer on what the cost was but £285K per year was one of the figures I saw but as that was from the Scottish Daily Mail so I wasn't all that confident it would be accurate.

My feeling is that regardless of the cost it doesn't present value for money as the Gaelic speakers were perfectly capable of reading the sign when it was only in English > I'd rather that the 285K per year was spent on something that offered better value like the NHS or education .....

That 285K per year may not make a lot of difference (and that is just the figure for road signs, this issue was original in relation to the changes to police car livery* and there have been other things in railway stations, airports etc.) but I'd just prefer the money spent on a new MRI machine or perhaps ensuring the build quality in our schools is up to scratch.

Can you perhaps explain what value we get for this money?

*Just to be clear - although I'm sure it'll be ignored - this isn't an anti-SNP thing - I just don't think it was worth spending the money on: it was said earlier that 'Police Scotland' was a Tory policy > in which case I'd say they also wasted money just as pointlessly in changing the livery on police cars: I can recognise a police car as police car regardless of it being branded 'Police Scotland' or 'Lothian & Borders Police'.

Pans Jambo
9 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Nowt.

But maybe its Police SCOTLAND not Lothian and Borders anymore.

Is this REALLY bothering folk? Really? Is it though?

Thunderstruck
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Really laughable answer, the hatred you have for the SNP is hilarious man :lol: you’re like a few posters on political threads, clearly not daft but hilariously seething just because the SNP actually exist. 

If the tories weren’t such a shower and Ruth had more than one actual policy they’d have implemented it too themselves let’s not kid on here. 

Ah, “hate” that old stand-by. Only a matter of time I suppose. You do, however, confuse “ridicule” with “hate”. 

I readily admit that I have little time for the SNP brand of politics, their obvious (collective) incompetence, the divisions they have sown within Scotland or their thirst for power at the expense of the Scottish people. We are all the poorer for it. 

I want the best for Scotland and that certainly is not the SNP. How that translates to “hate” is a mystery to me. 

You should look elsewhere for hate mongers. “Hate” is a word often deployed by SNP politicians (senior party members at that). For example, ask yourself who has frequently used the term “hated Tories”. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

I readily admit that I have little time for the SNP brand of politics, their obvious (collective) incompetence, the divisions they have sown within Scotland or their thirst for power at the expense of the Scottish people. We are all the poorer for it. 

Good lord.

The SNP have made significant mistakes; all governments do. Yet they've done a good job overall. I had no truck at all with their bonkers currency union ideas during the referendum campaign - but their staying in office for so long hasn't just been about keeping independence supporters happy. Not a bit of it.

The alternatives to the SNP are a wolf in sheep's clothing whose support rose because it coveted the bigot vote last year; a joke, dead party; and a branch office which elected someone who isn't even a household name in his own household as leader. 

The main Westminster parties should ask themselves how on Earth they all fell into such disrepair to begin with. Congratulations to the SNP on taking advantage of that. Their focus is on Scotland and Scotland alone; the others just don't do that.

Seymour M Hersh

"de minimis non curat lex" roughly translated means the law does not bother about trifles. The SNP on the other hand seem only to care about trifles. Especially when it comes to perceived slights against the little Scotlanders!!  

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Nowt.

But maybe its Police SCOTLAND not Lothian and Borders anymore.

Is this REALLY bothering folk? Really? Is it though?

It bothered a lot of experienced police officers. A significant number took early retirement on the back of the merge. Not necessarily because they were against a unified police force but, as with everything else in in Scotland, the Strathclydeification of the new force took place. And as all other forces will have told you Strathclyde was the worst for all the bad things in a police force.

jack D and coke
34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

The alternatives to the SNP are a wolf in sheep's clothing whose support rose because it coveted the bigot vote last year; a joke, dead party; and a branch office which elected someone who isn't even a household name in his own household as leader. 

This is it in a nutshell for me. The main parties have been outed and exposed for what they are imo and I don’t see them turning it around quite frankly anytime soon. 

It’s almost like the SNP vs Rangers in Scotland now :lol: 

Pans Jambo
8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It bothered a lot of experienced police officers. A significant number took early retirement on the back of the merge. Not necessarily because they were against a unified police force but, as with everything else in in Scotland, the Strathclydeification of the new force took place. And as all other forces will have told you Strathclyde was the worst for all the bad things in a police force.

Strathclydeification is a pain in the Titz. It goes on.

17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s almost like the SNP vs Rangers in Scotland now :lol: 

Maybe in the circles you move in mate. I respectfully suggest you get out a bit more ☺

Governor Tarkin
18 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

What's wrong with that, like?

Porridge and shortbread for you, I assume, followed by a half of McEwens Export from a dimple glass whilst whistling 'Donald whaurs yer troosers'.

You really are a strange wee man, SM. No wonder Kickback treats you with general contempt amd derision.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Good lord.

The SNP have made significant mistakes; all governments do. Yet they've done a good job overall. I had no truck at all with their bonkers currency union ideas during the referendum campaign - but their staying in office for so long hasn't just been about keeping independence supporters happy. Not a bit of it.

The main Westminster parties should ask themselves how on Earth they all fell into such disrepair to begin with. Congratulations to the SNP on taking advantage of that. Their focus is on Scotland and Scotland alone; the others just don't do that.

Excellent post.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Good lord.

The SNP have made significant mistakes; all governments do. Yet they've done a good job overall.

Englishman in Uruguay lecturing Jocks about Jockland.

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, pablo said:

Maybe in the circles you move in mate. I respectfully suggest you get out a bit more ☺

Well ok I include the wee hun element in our support :lol: