• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Older fans will remember Aberdeen had the first all seated stadium in the UK. They were largely unaffected when compulsory orders were place on the rest of the clubs who had to find the money to modernise their grounds. Since then they've basked in the glory of the Ferguson years and stagnated to the point where they are in a panic. And they managed it without a Romanov or a Craig White because they've seen little change in majority shareholders over that time. Where they find themselves is down to themselves. All the best to them but who really cares...!

Not in my back yard (nimby) has been in common use for ages. It is one reason that Edinburgh will never get a Hydro type music venue for instance.

The sheep's choice of site is an odd one and is so far out of town that the people up there must think that the club is pushing for the cheapest bit of land rather than the most suitable though.

What would be the objection for an arena at Ingliston or on the swathes of waste land at Granton?

Hagar the Horrible

Older fans will remember Aberdeen had the first all seated stadium in the UK. They were largely unaffected when compulsory orders were place on the rest of the clubs who had to find the money to modernise their grounds. Since then they've basked in the glory of the Ferguson years and stagnated to the point where they are in a panic. And they managed it without a Romanov or a Craig White because they've seen little change in majority shareholders over that time. Where they find themselves is down to themselves. All the best to them but who really cares...!

I thought it was Clydebank? Aberdeen was the first to have it fully covered though

Aberdeen fan regularly posts on Herald , Rory Shandy[?] . He has a real problem with us . As recently as about 2 months ago he was posting that there hadn't been a brick laid for the new stand !

What would be the objection for an arena at Ingliston or on the swathes of waste land at Granton?

Canny play 'rugger' oan it!

Unknown user

Aberdeen I'm sure...!

Nope, Kilbowie was first. They got promoted in 1977 and at that time all stadiums over 10,000 had to comply with certain rules. Facing a huge Bill, they decided to reduce capacity instead by putting benches in where the terracing had been, bringing capacity to 9950.

Pittodrie was converted a year later.

And although Aberdeen claim theirs was the first covered all seater stadium, they've never explained how the uncovered corners fit into that theory!

fabienleclerq

Don't know about nimby's but the council was offered the hydro first and rejected it.

And although Aberdeen claim theirs was the first covered all seater stadium, they've never explained how the uncovered corners fit into that theory!

How utterly Hibs of them. :rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Interesting that people believe its out of town, its not really and that seems be part of the problem. It is fractionally in the city but it would link the city to Westhill, the last remaining swathe of land unclaimed in that relatively short journey of 6 miles to the city centre.

Milne has pulled off some coups in his time that seemed unlikely and has worked with the council previously. Wouldn't surprise me if they have been given some time to make revisions that are able to put it through. In its current form, judicial review will not pass and I think they have been taken a little by surprise of the quality of protest.

Interesting that people believe its out of town, its not really and that seems be part of the problem. It is fractionally in the city but it would link the city to Westhill, the last remaining swathe of land unclaimed in that relatively short journey of 6 miles to the city centre.

Milne has pulled off some coups in his time that seemed unlikely and has worked with the council previously. Wouldn't surprise me if they have been given some time to make revisions that are able to put it through. In its current form, judicial review will not pass and I think they have been taken a little by surprise of the quality of protest.

That's out of town in my opinion, especially in Aberdeen.

6 miles from Gorgie would take you to like KIrknewton or East Calder or something.

Id defo call that out of town.

Edit: Just checked....... 6 miles from Tynecastle would put you in any of the following locations:

- Dalmeny

- Newbridge

- Ratho

- Dalmahoy

- Balerno

- Roslin

- Bonnyrigg

- Musselburgh

Edited by Erik

Nope, Kilbowie was first. They got promoted in 1977 and at that time all stadiums over 10,000 had to comply with certain rules. Facing a huge Bill, they decided to reduce capacity instead by putting benches in where the terracing had been, bringing capacity to 9950.

I stand corrected....!

Guest Paul Allen

It's definitely out of town.

It's not even close to being in town. It's right on the edge of the council boundary, not the city boundary. It's like saying Kirkliston, Balerno and Ratho are all part of Edinburgh

IveSeenTheLight

6 miles from Gorgie would take you to like KIrknewton or East Calder or something.

Edit: Just checked....... 6 miles from Tynecastle would put you in any of the following locations:

- Dalmeny

- Newbridge

- Ratho

- Dalmahoy

- Balerno

- Roslin

- Bonnyrigg

- Musselburgh

Wheres 6 miles from Princess Street?

Approximately Sighthill, if going past Gorgie

IveSeenTheLight

Its utterly shambolic.

I agree its probably that they got wind that the recommendation was likely to be rejected because of some additional requirements, hence the request to delay to allow these to be looked at.

Why this could not be covered by now I do not know

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its utterly shambolic.

I agree its probably that they got wind that the recommendation was likely to be rejected because of some additional requirements, hence the request to delay to allow these to be looked at.

Surprised by the opposition strikes me. Council are giving them a doggy perhaps

- Dalmeny

- Newbridge

- Ratho

- Dalmahoy

- Balerno

- Roslin

- Bonnyrigg

- Musselburgh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balerno  Wikipedia reckons Balerno is. As someone who lived in Currie for a bit this is a surprise to me though I know someone from Balerno who argued differently.

Edited by moonraker

IveSeenTheLight

San Francisco 49ers play 50 miles away from San Francisco. Thats out of town :)

Indeed, Lyon and Nice are a slightly greater distance out of town and manage.

I think Bolton was also related as being similarly out of town.

Unknown user

Its utterly shambolic.

The proposal doesn't work mate, the transport strategy alone is a mess.

The club need to spring for 100 buses a fortnight, forever - have you ever seen 100 buses? Where do they park while the match is on?

The club needs to build a bridge to get fans from the parking zone they havent yet agreed with Aberdeenshire council to the site, and that'll need its own planning permission.

They also need to persuade Aberdeenshire council to put in controlled parking in an area it isn't wanted, something they don't currently have anywhere, and the club will need to pay for it. And there's nothing in it for Aberdeenshire council except complaints from their constituents.

You won't be building this stadium chief, reality's in the way.

IveSeenTheLight

Surprised by the opposition strikes me. Council are giving them a doggy perhaps

I watched the pre meeting and there was not a lot of merit in the opposition I thought.

Once or two valid points, which would mean conditions for approval, but not enough for a full rejection in my opinion.

That said, it obviously was enough to put this on hold to be worked out.

IveSeenTheLight

The proposal doesn't work mate, the transport strategy alone is a mess.

The club need to spring for 100 buses a fortnight, forever - have you ever seen 100 buses? Where do they park while the match is on?

The club needs to build a bridge to get fans from the parking zone they havent yet agreed with Aberdeenshire council to the site, and that'll need its own planning permission.

They also need to persuade Aberdeenshire council to put in controlled parking in an area it isn't wanted, something they don't currently have anywhere, and the club will need to pay for it. And there's nothing in it for Aberdeenshire council except complaints from their constituents.

You won't be building this stadium chief, reality's in the way.

There is a Westhill for Kingsford group as well.

As I said above, Lyon and Nice have stadiums a greater distance from the stadium and manage via shuttle buses.

The AGCC survey showed only 12% of the support purely walked to Pittodrie, with the remaining 88% taking some means of transport.

Kingsford makes it easier to accommodate the majority traveling support, whilst I accept it is an inconvenience for those only walking.

That said, its just a 20 min bus journey out from Union Square and certainly not insurmountable

RealMaroonCF

Thread title change please mods

"Sheep Stadium Dream Dead"

Not to worry lads. Can always nip down the road and share with your new firm partners Utd

New firm :rofl:

Indeed, Lyon and Nice are a slightly greater distance out of town and manage.

I think Bolton was also related as being similarly out of town.

It's fine getting to the Nice stadium but an absolute nightmare getting away.

It's also not always terribly safe feeling.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I watched the pre meeting and there was not a lot of merit in the opposition I thought.

Once or two valid points, which would mean conditions for approval, but not enough for a full rejection in my opinion.

That said, it obviously was enough to put this on hold to be worked out.

On the thread somewhere I mentioned they believe its in direct contravention of planning law.

I know zero about planning law. They seemed very sure though

Thread title change please mods

"Sheep Stadium Dream Dead"

Not to worry lads. Can always nip down the road and share with your new firm partners Utd

New firm :rofl:

80's New Firm :)

IveSeenTheLight

On the thread somewhere I mentioned they believe its in direct contravention of planning law.

I know zero about planning law. They seemed very sure though

Not a law as I can gather, but guidance.

The issue over it being designated greenbelt land to retain a distance between the city and the shire.

Thing is, Westhill is right on the boundary, so why is it incumbent on the city to maintain the barrier.

I'd also argue that the stadium and training facilities along with the AWPR maintain a difference between residential housing.

Greenbelt designations can be considered, as the new Exhibition Centre and AWPR going in was approved.

Its a hiccup, but this delay means its not yet rejected and hopefully they are working with the council to resolve any issues

Unknown user

As I said above, Lyon and Nice have stadiums a greater distance from the stadium and manage via shuttle buses.

The AGCC survey showed only 12% of the support purely walked to Pittodrie, with the remaining 88% taking some means of transport.

Kingsford makes it easier to accommodate the majority traveling support, whilst I accept it is an inconvenience for those only walking.

That said, its just a 20 min bus journey out from Union Square and certainly not insurmountable

A 20 minute bus journey, but that's without many thousands going the same way.

But hey, it's not me you need to convince

IveSeenTheLight

A 20 minute bus journey, but that's without many thousands going the same way.

But hey, it's not me you need to convince

I'm not trying to convince anyone.

There are many examples of stadiums where it works

12% of an average 13,000 crowd is only 1,560 people or 26 shuttle buses with 60 passengers to shuttle to and from the stadium.

IF, it ever comes off, I'm sure there would be teething problems, but reckon that in time, it would be far easier to get to and from the stadium for the majority of the fans than it is at Pittodrie at the moment

Unknown user

12% of an average 13,000 crowd is only 1,560 people or 26 shuttle buses with 60 passengers to shuttle to and from the stadium.

IF, it ever comes off, I'm sure there would be teething problems, but reckon that in time, it would be far easier to get to and from the stadium for the majority of the fans than it is at Pittodrie at the moment

Aye we'll see. I'd be quite happy to put money on that it's not happening though.

Hagar the Horrible

Whats the issue with re-building Pitotrie own its own footprint, appart from having to play somewhere else while this work is being done, space cant be an issue.  Also if the local council say no, then put up your own people at elections? Councellors politics and morals go oot ra windae, when they might be voted out?  I managed to replace one just because of moving the lollypop man to a safer location for my residents.

It?s not 20 minutes, that?s absolute fantasy to think it?ll take 20 minutes on a Saturday afternoon

IveSeenTheLight

Whats the issue with re-building Pitotrie own its own footprint, appart from having to play somewhere else while this work is being done, space cant be an issue.  Also if the local council say no, then put up your own people at elections? Councellors politics and morals go oot ra windae, when they might be voted out?  I managed to replace one just because of moving the lollypop man to a safer location for my residents.

Been long gone over.

There is not enough space to rebuild at Pittodrie, plus as you say the issue of where to play during the rebuild even if it was a possibility.

We don't all have a 67,000 stadium a stone throw away ;)

It?s not 20 minutes, that?s absolute fantasy to think it?ll take 20 minutes on a Saturday afternoon

Well the standard bus from Union Square to Westhill takes, 38 minutes, so Kingsfor slightly shorter.

A dedicated shutle bus would not be stopping for pick-ups the same, so would speed up the journey.

Maybe 20 mins is a tad of an exaggeration, but no longer than 30 mins I reckon

Don't know about nimby's but the council was offered the hydro first and rejected it.

Never heard that before! If true that is a disgrace in terms of the economy of the city, and the recreation of its citizens!

Edinburgh is screaming out for a 15,000 indoor arena! My company were involved in the Leeds Arena which is now bringing in mega bucks and mega stars to the city!

Whats the issue with re-building Pitotrie own its own footprint, appart from having to play somewhere else while this work is being done, space cant be an issue. Also if the local council say no, then put up your own people at elections? Councellors politics and morals go oot ra windae, when they might be voted out? I managed to replace one just because of moving the lollypop man to a safer location for my residents.

The issue is that Stewart Milne wants to build expensive houses on Pittodrie!

Never heard that before! If true that is a disgrace in terms of the economy of the city, and the recreation of its citizens!

Edinburgh is screaming out for a 15,000 indoor arena! My company were involved in the Leeds Arena which is now bringing in mega bucks and mega stars to the city!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-ditches-plans-for-hydro-concert-venue-1-3420727

Been long gone over.

There is not enough space to rebuild at Pittodrie, plus as you say the issue of where to play during the rebuild even if it was a possibility.

Plenty space if you rotate the pitch 90 degrees.

Can ground share with Banks o Dee for a season.

They were all out making their way to the site of their new stadium.

Is this the site at Westhill - wouldn't fancy kicking up that hill.................. :tiny:

Edited by Thomaso

scott herbertson

Not a law as I can gather, but guidance.

The issue over it being designated greenbelt land to retain a distance between the city and the shire.

Thing is, Westhill is right on the boundary, so why is it incumbent on the city to maintain the barrier.

I'd also argue that the stadium and training facilities along with the AWPR maintain a difference between residential housing.

Greenbelt designations can be considered, as the new Exhibition Centre and AWPR going in was approved.

Its a hiccup, but this delay means its not yet rejected and hopefully they are working with the council to resolve any issues

Being 'on the boundary' I am guessing you mean all or part of it is within the green belt. While as you say that can be set aside in exceptional circumstances it's not 'up to the city to maintain it' but it is up to planners to advise on the basis of guidance and councillors to follow that guidance unless there are very good reasons why they shouldn't. If it's been withdrawn it suggests there was a big risk those reasons wouldn't stand up on appeal. Edited by scott herbertson

Actually Meadowbank Thistle played in an all seated stadium from 1974 (even though they didn't own it).

Aberdeen only third.

MacDonald Jardine

It is true. It could have been in Leith.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk