Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

Unknown user

Been long gone over.

There is not enough space to rebuild at Pittodrie, plus as you say the issue of where to play during the rebuild even if it was a possibility.

We don't all have a 67,000 stadium a stone throw away ;)

Well the standard bus from Union Square to Westhill takes, 38 minutes, so Kingsfor slightly shorter.

A dedicated shutle bus would not be stopping for pick-ups the same, so would speed up the journey.

Maybe 20 mins is a tad of an exaggeration, but no longer than 30 mins I reckon

The problem is you're not debating, you're defending.

E.g. quoting bustimes to Kingsford when you know the amount of traffic will mess that up hugely, and anyway the stadium's past Kingsford, actually closer to Westhill in fact.

I have no problem with you or other dandies being here FWIW, but I do think this smells of hope talking rather than belief

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user

Actually Meadowbank Thistle played in an all seated stadium from 1974 (even though they didn't own it).

Aberdeen only third.

Oh really? I've never read that before, interesting

I'm not trying to convince anyone.

There are many examples of stadiums where it works

12% of an average 13,000 crowd is only 1,560 people or 26 shuttle buses with 60 passengers to shuttle to and from the stadium.

IF, it ever comes off, I'm sure there would be teething problems, but reckon that in time, it would be far easier to get to and from the stadium for the majority of the fans than it is at Pittodrie at the moment

Good for you for coming back on to discuss it

Actually Meadowbank Thistle played in an all seated stadium from 1974 (even though they didn't own it).

Aberdeen only third.

Apart from all the terracing Meadowbank is all seated

Apart from all the terracing Meadowbank is all seated

Meadowbank had bench seats around three sides of the ground. They only actually used the main stand anyway so all fans were seated at Thistle home games.

Bazzas right boot

Been long gone over.

There is not enough space to rebuild at Pittodrie, plus as you say the issue of where to play during the rebuild even if it was a possibility.

We don't all have a 67,000 stadium a stone throw away ;)

Well the standard bus from Union Square to Westhill takes, 38 minutes, so Kingsfor slightly shorter.

A dedicated shutle bus would not be stopping for pick-ups the same, so would speed up the journey.

Maybe 20 mins is a tad of an exaggeration, but no longer than 30 mins I reckon

You could do one stand at a time, you rarely need the use of all 4.

August Landmesser

First all-seater in UK was Highfield Rd, home of the mighty Sky Blues. One of Jimmy Hill's early innovations in the '60s

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Unknown user

First all-seater in UK was Highfield Rd, home of the mighty Sky Blues. One of Jimmy Hill's early innovations in the '60s

Even interestinger!

I can't find much about it, except they must have taken them out again as apparently Highfield Road went all seater for the second time in the late 70s

August Landmesser

Even interestinger!

I can't find much about it, except they must have taken them out again as apparently Highfield Road went all seater for the second time in the late 70s

I could've sworn blind it was the 60s... Hmmm... Let me double-check

You're right! D'oh!

Edited by August Landmesser

Unknown user

I could've sworn blind it was the 60s... Hmmm... Let me double-check

No, I agree! The thing I found said that when they did it in the 70s it was for the second time Edited by ManMoth

All roads lead to Gorgie

What would be the objection for an arena at Ingliston or on the swathes of waste land at Granton?

There should be no objection to these locations but someone will complain about traffic no doubts. We could have had an arena close to the city centre at Fountainbridge or even Haymarket but overpriced housing or office space is probably more lucrative in the short term for those selling off brown field sites. The airport allowing the area where the old runway stood as development land could make an arena possible there I suppose. 

IveSeenTheLight

You could do one stand at a time, you rarely need the use of all 4.

It's not as simple as that.

Aside from funding, modern planning laws and European guidelines means there is insufficient space to redevelop Pittodrie.

Unknown user

Aside from funding, modern planning laws and European guidelines means there is insufficient space to redevelop Pittodrie.

You may not be able to redevelop it to as high as capacity as you'd like but I've seen nothing to say pittodrie CAN'T be redeveloped.

As for funding, you've got at least 30 million to find for the other project, but that's not a problem?

This thread reminds me of a former member of this board who was adamant aberdeen could not build a new stadium , i think he might have been a therapist? I'm sure someone will remember?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

Aye, so says the Milne homes chappie.

There is a Westhill for Kingsford group as well.

As I said above, Lyon and Nice have stadiums a greater distance from the stadium and manage via shuttle buses.

The AGCC survey showed only 12% of the support purely walked to Pittodrie, with the remaining 88% taking some means of transport.

Kingsford makes it easier to accommodate the majority traveling support, whilst I accept it is an inconvenience for those only walking.

That said, its just a 20 min bus journey out from Union Square and certainly not insurmountable

Can easily take over an hour to Westhill from the city centre. Then there's the sudden change in weather when you pass the kingswells roundabout. You'd be playing in snow every week!

Maybe Aberdeen should move to the Central Belt.

Their very poor home attendances suggest the city can't sustain a top division football club.

Unknown user

So leave game 4.50pm get bus at 5pm back in city at 5.20pm?

Sounds good.

Makes you wonder who'll be spending money in the fans zone - the ones who can't drink because they're driving or the ones who can't stay because the buses are leaving.

So leave game 4.50pm get bus at 5pm back in city at 5.20pm?

Sounds good.

Not much of a bit deal Mikey......H1b5 fans can get back to Edinburgh from Hampden before 5.20pm :whistling:

I'm pretty certain that Pittodrie has a bigger footprint than Tynecastle.

Dinny worry the European guidelines will be gone soon .... RULE BRITANNIA ??

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm pretty certain that Pittodrie has a bigger footprint than Tynecastle.

They would probably have to demolish the big stand at the beach end and move the stadium eastwards to give them the space to develop the other end which is quite tight. That stand must have cost a fair penny to build so demolishing it would be unfortunate for the sheep given it is relatively new.

kingantti1874

They would probably have to demolish the big stand at the beach end and move the stadium eastwards to give them the space to develop the other end which is quite tight. That stand must have cost a fair penny to build so demolishing it would be unfortunate for the sheep given it is relatively new.

They are demolishing it regardless.. Was a really stupid thing to build in the first place

Edited by kingantti1874

IveSeenTheLight

Dinny worry the European guidelines will be gone soon .... RULE BRITANNIA ??

It's not a Brexit issue, it's meeting UEFA guidelines which we will still want to take part in

All roads lead to Gorgie

What new stadium?

The one on hold that is nearly in Royal Deeside.  :tiny: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The one on hold that is nearly in Royal Deeside. :tiny:

Roughly halfway house from Deeside and Donside.

On logistics getting out should be easier than getting in

Aberdeen gets busy around lunchtime but is quiet around 5 going into town on a Saturday

All roads lead to Gorgie

Roughly halfway house from Deeside and Donside.

On logistics getting out should be easier than getting in

Aberdeen gets busy around lunchtime but is quiet around 5 going into town on a Saturday

Whenever I have been up there for a game I have mostly taken the early train and had something to eat before going round a few city centre pubs. It was then only about a fifteen minute walk to the ground from the end of Union Street. Football is more than just being dumped off a bus at the ground and back on it again at fulltime. If the ground gets the go ahead I might try it out once but after that I'm not so sure with the attraction of a full day out lacking.

Whenever I have been up there for a game I have mostly taken the early train and had something to eat before going round a few city centre pubs. It was then only about a fifteen minute walk to the ground from the end of Union Street. Football is more than just being dumped off a bus at the ground and back on it again at fulltime. If the ground gets the go ahead I might try it out once but after that I'm not so sure with the attraction of a full day out lacking.

Exactly

All about the finance, not about the fans.

They have challenges but Milne sees the money and house-building.

Dundee to come too as well.

Edited by Mikey1874

All roads lead to Gorgie

Exactly

All about the finance, not about the fans.

They have challenges but Milne sees the money and house-building.

Dundee to come too as well.

In a nutshell. 

Dundee on the other hand is a case where it is probably better to get in and out off as quickly as possible.  :2thumbsup: 

IveSeenTheLight

Thing is, you can still do all that.

Train takes you into Union Square, where you can partake in the refreshments.

Bus leaves Union Square and will take you right to the ground.

Anyone who thinks they'll get to the proposed new ground on a bus in 30 minutes or less are dreaming. My wife worked in Westhill and got the bus from town regularly. 45 minutes minimum on a good day, A good day is when the bus turn up on time and doesn't  break down on route! 

For the fans the trick will be to 1. Organise the exit after game really well 2. Provide facilities like say they do at Murrayfield for fans to stick around.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Will the buses be for both sets of fans or will they be segregated? Could be a bit 'lively' if one side or another takes a doing. The Rantic games might be a powderkeg in waiting.

Guest Paul Allen

Current situation = Train station > pub grub in city centre > 15 minute walk to stadium > watch match > 15 minute walk back to city centre > train home.

Proposed situation = Train station > pub grub in city centre > 30-45 minute shuttle bus to stadium > watch match > 30-45 minute shuttle bus back to city centre > train home.

:lol: **** that.

If it were to happen I can see their crowds for night games plummeting if people won't be getting back into the city centre until about an hour after final whistle before their real journey home even starts. And that's just the locals.

Unknown user

I've said right from the start that I don't see this happening. Nothing has changed my view.

TBH I wouldn't mind them getting permission. They'd be taking on a project they can't afford that would IMO inevitably lead to dwindling crowds and interest - it would take Aberdeen down as a competitor team for us.

If it were to happen I can see their crowds for night games plummeting if people won't be getting back into the city centre until about an hour after final whistle before their real journey home even starts. And that's just the locals.

A lot of our support comes from Aberdeenshire anyway. Even from western parts of the city it will be easier to get to Kingsford than Pittodrie. I have also seen the train mentioned but hardly anybody in Aberdeen uses the train.

I can't wait to leave Pittodrie and move into a decent stadium but I doubt it will be happening anytime soon.

TBH I wouldn't mind them getting permission. They'd be taking on a project they can't afford that would IMO inevitably lead to dwindling crowds and interest - it would take Aberdeen down as a competitor team for us.

I'm quite ambivalent about the whole thing. Just don't think it'll ever happen on this scale. If they can't just refurb Pittodrie, then all this ?50m caper is just never going to happen imo.