The mystery of sell outs and swathes of empty seats

Craigieboy

We_are_the_Hearts

A friend of mine has 3 kids, 11, 5 & 2. They all have season tickets however the 2 yo has never been and the 5 yo makes every other match, weather and kickoff time permitting.

He's done this because it was the only way he could guarantee 4 seats together in future, thinking about it there must be other supporters doing this as well.

The new stand can't come soon enough.

That is out of order to be honest and Hearts should be clamping down on this. Surely there is a way to monitor ticket usage?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hackney Hearts

That is out of order to be honest and Hearts should be clamping down on this. Surely there is a way to monitor ticket usage?

You can't say it's out of order if he's paid for tickets - he can do what he likes.

However - it might be helpful to consider putting the ones he doesn't need up for re-sale (maybe Mouse could suggest...).

We_are_the_Hearts

You can't say it's out of order if he's paid for tickets - he can do what he likes.

However - it might be helpful to consider putting the ones he doesn't need up for re-sale (maybe Mouse could suggest...).

There is a seat lying empty all season that was bought for ?50......................what if everyone did this that fancied keeping a seat for their new born in later life?

The ticket is often resold or upgraded, don't see a problem with it myself, possibly I might feel different I wasn't able to get match tickets.

A friend of mine has 3 kids, 11, 5 & 2. They all have season tickets however the 2 yo has never been and the 5 yo makes every other match, weather and kickoff time permitting.

He's done this because it was the only way he could guarantee 4 seats together in future, thinking about it there must be other supporters doing this as well.

The new stand can't come soon enough.

One of the things about having your own seat is that it puts pressure on you to buy and renew in order to get seats together, or next to your mates. The club benefits from that because it encourages people to py for a season up front, even if they do not intend to go every week.

But it also deters folk from just turning up because they will be unable to sit next to their family or mates.

Hackney Hearts

There is a seat lying empty all season that was bought for ?50......................what if everyone did this that fancied keeping a seat for their new born in later life?

Like I say, it won't lie empty if the seat is re-sold (which in this case it often is apparently). 

We_are_the_Hearts

Like I say, it won't lie empty if the seat is re-sold (which in this case it often is apparently). 

I never knew it was re-sold often, still think that people shouldn't be buying seats as placeholders for when their kid is older when they may or may not choose to go to the games, certainly never even thought of doing that for my kids when they were younger. Each to their own though and Hearts don't appear to have any monitoring in place.

Fair enough. Recall several posters on here saying this doesn't happen. 

I was one who said it on a previous thread. Once last season the seat remained empty (possibly someone just bought it and sat elsewhere) but once a guy who helped out there in some capacity got it free as he told me. He seemed to have a diminished mental capacity so I had no problem with it but I did feel Hearts could maybe administer it better. I never saw the tickets reappearing online. I think in all 3 cases  it was quite late on that I released them (within 24 hours of kick off) so potentially the reason.

It's potentially not worth putting in a solution now (vouchers back etc) for something that may well not be an issue next season with an increased capacity and I will still try to release mine if I can't make games this season and no friends are using it.

Rewards for releasing seats is not the solution. The reward is allowing the ticket to be sold and thusly the club gets extra revenue.

What the club needs to do is to ensure it is easy to give back the seat when not needed. And make sure people are aware giving seats back is an option. I've never seen hearts mention that it's possible.

Simple solution:

Every season ticket holder has a page with fixtures on where at the start of the season they are all ticked. If someone becomes aware they won't make a certain game they just uncheck it. And the seat gets added to the sale pool. Would take literally 2 minutes and negligible extra work for hearts once it's set up.

This is just one solution. No doubt there's loads of better ideas.

One of the things about having your own seat is that it puts pressure on you to buy and renew in order to get seats together, or next to your mates. The club benefits from that because it encourages people to py for a season up front, even if they do not intend to go every week.

But it also deters folk from just turning up because they will be unable to sit next to their family or mates.

Season ticket holders can exchange their seat for a game to get seats together with a non-season ticket holder, but they need to do it sharp before the available seats get sold.

scott herbertson

Rewards for releasing seats is not the solution. The reward is allowing the ticket to be sold and thusly the club gets extra revenue.

What the club needs to do is to ensure it is easy to give back the seat when not needed. And make sure people are aware giving seats back is an option. I've never seen hearts mention that it's possible.

Simple solution:

Every season ticket holder has a page with fixtures on where at the start of the season they are all ticked. If someone becomes aware they won't make a certain game they just uncheck it. And the seat gets added to the sale pool. Would take literally 2 minutes and negligible extra work for hearts once it's set up.

This is just one solution. No doubt there's loads of better ideas.

I posted earlier that the club should e mail everyone a couple of days before each game (just after the press conference). It should start with a standard message asking people to reply to the e mail if they want to release their seat. It would help with match build up, remind people to buy tickets for mates etc and ensure that more seats were released

I posted earlier that the club should e mail everyone a couple of days before each game (just after the press conference). It should start with a standard message asking people to reply to the e mail if they want to release their seat. It would help with match build up, remind people to buy tickets for mates etc and ensure that more seats were released

Missed that before. Good idea.

Why not award some Loyalty Points for releasing a ST seat?

Why not award some Loyalty Points for releasing a ST seat?

Why should people not attending games get more points than someone going to every home game though?

Why should people not attending games get more points than someone going to every home game though?

Just a suggestion. Chill

He seems pretty chilled to me, made a good point too!

OK to address his "good point"

We are talking about the Club maximising revenue here.

The ST holder has paid his money to the Club, so his seat is his for the season, and it is up to him if he attends all the games or not.  Now I know many will inform the Club (I do) if the seat is available for re-sale - however some don't because they forget, or it is not top priority for them.  So a bit of incentive to do so may result in more revenue for the Club - simple as that.

I do get the fan loyalty bit, but when it comes to handing out loyalty points for away matches, the Club do not benefit in any way revenue wise.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

What should happen.

Log into your account on the website, click on the ticket exchange link and give up your seat. The seat is resold at its full value, then 20% of that tickets value is deducted from your season ticket the following season.

Everyone's a winner.

What should happen.

Log into your account on the website, click on the ticket exchange link and give up your seat. The seat is resold at its full value, then 20% of that tickets value is deducted from your season ticket the following season.

Everyone's a winner.

Personally I am happy for the Club to keep the money.

Loyalty points incentive would be nice :builder:

What should happen.

Everyone's a winner.

I'd be happy with that

Son Of Anarchy

What should happen.

Everyone's a winner.

Makes sense to me.

Bazzas right boot

Once the new stand is in place it won't be an issue.

All very good pionts and ideas, but the problem will be solved.

Dagger Is Back

I've asked before if the option to gift back could be highlighted in ST renewal packs.

Scott Wilson could mention it at various stages before/during/after each home game

It could be mentioned in these ticket updates that Hearts release via social media

The email communication idea mentioned above

There's no doubt that these things are easy to do and carry little or no cost. I suspect there's other reasons as to why nothing's happened.

I get there are always going to be some that don't go for one reason or another. The mystery for me is that it seems to be groups together, or a dozen in the same row. I can't work that out.

In the lower sections of the stands, you tend to get rather wet on a day like Saturday. A lot of season ticket holders in these areas tend to try and find an alternative seat that is unused in the upper sections. Others in the front two or three rows then move back to use the seats in rows 6-8 which have been vacated as they are not as damp as the first two or three rows. All this shuffling about then leaves empty rows of seats together in the lower sections.

Of course, this explanation is only valid for the lower sections, if there are loads of empty seats together in the upper sections, I've no idea why.

Not that I've noticed loads of empty seats together in the upper sections.

Ally Alexander

One reason that the club issue the Sold Old notice is to inform fans without tickets not to travel.   However, the notice should include an adjunct that some tickets may become available due to resells and to contact the ticket office to check.

The ST holder has paid his money to the Club, so his seat is his for the season, and it is up to him if he attends all the games or not. Now I know many will inform the Club (I do) if the seat is available for re-sale - however some don't because they forget, or it is not top priority for them. So a bit of incentive to do so may result in more revenue for the Club - simple as that.

I do get the fan loyalty bit, but when it comes to handing out loyalty points for away matches, the Club do not benefit in any way revenue wise.

So someone comes on and suggests a reason why maybe it wasn't a good idea they are instantly unchill? (note I didn't say you were wrong). You're entitled to counteract it(which you now have I notice). But you reacted as if you've been told by the wife that you sh@ in the fridge when you haven't, it was her when she was blind drunk. I even posed it as a question.

If I'd said "pi$$ off that ideas $hite mate, get a grip" then if fully expect you to react, as it's definitely not "chill".

Anyway. You're right, maybe a reward is needed to incentivise folk to hand their seats back if they can't attend. I just think using loyalty points is the wrong incentive. it incentivises not attending. The loyalty scheme is designed to reward fans for attending games, achieving a good away support to boost our team, and prioritise them for games with low tickets available, but high demand.

(Good on you handing back your seat when you can't go though)

underwaterwoodwelder

Slightly different subject but we are nearly selling out tynie ect. Our home support atmosphere is totally embarrassing tynie used to be jumping and intimidating for players of the opposite team.

Serious question why is it we only sing half a chorus of the hearts song either when we score or when come close to scoring. I'm happy to join in singing I'm 40years of age not that should matter but I'm just peed off a little our gatenis so high and its like a library.

Rant over

Slightly different subject but we are nearly selling out tynie ect. Our home support atmosphere is totally embarrassing tynie used to be jumping and intimidating for players of the opposite team.

Serious question why is it we only sing half a chorus of the hearts song either when we score or when come close to scoring. I'm happy to join in singing I'm 40years of age not that should matter but I'm just peed off a little our gatenis so high and its like a library.

Rant over

Get your Hardhat on bud,low-flying Prawns on the horizon!!

Big Hearts take spare tickets - you can hand your ST to them for use if you don't fancy just giving it back to the club to resell. They have a mixed bag of charity users and may also relocate the freebies they get in order to put 2 people together or accommodate carers/guardians so it's maybe not always obvious how a seat has come to be empty, how it came to be in use by different people, or why the ticket was given to any particular individual.

So someone comes on and suggests a reason why maybe it wasn't a good idea they are instantly unchill? (note I didn't say you were wrong). You're entitled to counteract it(which you now have I notice). But you reacted as if you've been told by the wife that you sh@ in the fridge when you haven't, it was her when she was blind drunk. I even posed it as a question.

If I'd said "pi$$ off that ideas $hite mate, get a grip" then if fully expect you to react, as it's definitely not "chill".

Anyway. You're right, maybe a reward is needed to incentivise folk to hand their seats back if they can't attend. I just think using loyalty points is the wrong incentive. it incentivises not attending. The loyalty scheme is designed to reward fans for attending games, achieving a good away support to boost our team, and prioritise them for games with low tickets available, but high demand.

(Good on you handing back your seat when you can't go though)

Chill    :tiny:

STOAP TRYIN TAE GET YURSEL MAIR LOYALTY POINTS!!!

DAMN IT, AV BEEN FUND OOT!  :uhoh2:

Maybe we should use the grass line and stick anybody in... if they don't turn up.

We have a wee piss head who turned up for the first game of the season. He walked out after 30 minutes and has never come back.

Maybe we should use the grass line and stick anybody in... if they don't turn up.

We have a wee piss head who turned up for the first game of the season. He walked out after 30 minutes and has never come back.

I moved seats, thank you very much.

off the rails

I get there are always going to be some that don't go for one reason or another. The mystery for me is that it seems to be groups together, or a dozen in the same row. I can't work that out.

Supporters of another team buying random tickets to get a purchase history for a forthcoming game?

MacDonald Jardine

The ST holder has paid his money to the Club, so his seat is his for the season, and it is up to him if he attends all the games or not. Now I know many will inform the Club (I do) if the seat is available for re-sale - however some don't because they forget, or it is not top priority for them. So a bit of incentive to do so may result in more revenue for the Club - simple as that.

Revenue wise no they don't but that isn't the purpose of loyalty points.

I don't go to many away games now but would be more than a bit hacked off if I was behind the queue to someone who hadn't been all year.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What is the matter with everyone ? Can't you see the wood for the trees.

There are many seats and i mean many that are never filled. Lower H as an example for one. Now it must be obvious that these sests have never been sold to as season tickets or match day tickets.

We need answers from the TICKET OFFICE.

Now have you all got it.

Clue = Seats that are never used !

NEVER BEING THE CLUE.

MacDonald Jardine

What is the matter with everyone ? Can't you see the wood for the trees.

There are many seats and i mean many that are never filled. Lower H as an example for one. Now it must be obvious that these sests have never been sold to as season tickets or match day tickets.

We need answers from the TICKET OFFICE.

Now have you all got it.

Clue = Seats that are never used !

NEVER BEING THE CLUE.

Several posts have given a credible explanation for some of them.

Do you believe there are a number of seats available the club simply refuse to sell?

...a bit disco

I've got one next to me.

First 45 of the Celtic game and never been seen since.

Several posts have given a credible explanation for some of them.

Do you believe there are a number of seats available the club simply refuse to sell?

Oh my god are you for real.

No i don't believe that..Read what i say THEY HAVEN'T BEEN SOLD.....

Only half following this chat but can you get to the point before you have a heart attack?

Only half following this chat but can you get to the point before you have a heart attack?

Liverpool are better this half. Lol

MacDonald Jardine

I did read that.

Combining that with the fact the club continually announce games have sold out gives three possibilities:

They are lying.

They are so incompetent they don't know what seats they've sold.

The seats have in fact been sold but for whatever reason aren't used.

My money isn't on the first two.

There's only one answer, you need to get in deep and really investigate. We'll give you til Christmas, report back then. But keep it quiet til then, we don't want THEM getting wind!

There's only one answer, you need to get in deep and really investigate. We'll give you til Christmas, report back then. But keep it quiet til then, we don't want THEM getting wind!

Thats a HOOT!!!

Archived