Sturgeon shelves plan for quick second Scottish independence referendum

Gorgiewave

Yes, tar everyone with the same brush. That makes it easier for the hard of thinking.

Cos all unionists are Tories, right? Given they are they opposition?

Pfft....

Not at all a tarring of everyone with the same brush. A tarring of one in particular who is perhaps the biggest "civic" nationalist on this thread using homophobic abuse to further their arguments and views. Not very civic - which I believe is its ok to back independence regardless of who you are, what you are or do and what you believe. However, that seems to stop for some if you are a Labour, Tory or Liberal voter. If you are a Green in some cases. If you work in certain industries and professions, if you are certain companies and if you see the world differently.

That's the issue. And sadly the second aspect of that phrase, nationalism all too often ignores the former and does begin to, for some, create a thick red line which excludes others on very little substance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I am tarring those who think such as homophobia adds emphasis to their "argument" (see this page).

Of course there are many on both sides who are unreasonable but the gentlemen referred to in the post I answered are hardly any loss to the diplomatic corps.

Not at all a tarring of everyone with the same brush. A tarring of one in particular who is perhaps the biggest "civic" nationalist on this thread using homophobic abuse to further their arguments and views. Not very civic - which I believe is its ok to back independence regardless of who you are, what you are or do and what you believe. However, that seems to stop for some if you are a Labour, Tory or Liberal voter. If you are a Green in some cases. If you work in certain industries and professions, if you are certain companies and if you see the world differently.

That's the issue. And sadly the second aspect of that phrase, nationalism all too often ignores the former and does begin to, for some, create a thick red line which excludes others on very little substance.

Sorry, it's funny you mention the homophobia...i'm actually surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier.

I was talking to my partner (now fianc?!) and we were discussing how much we can't stand Ms Davidson, but anyone who uses her sexuality as a way to have a pop is seriously out of order.

As I say, individuals may lose the plot, but shouldn't take away from either side of the argument.

How many seats would they have won if the SNP were not shafted in the second vote? Tell me, Tory boy, how many did the win in the first vote. As for the fat ugly carpet cleaner, popular? Where exactly. I suppose it's easy when your not the FM, just a shame the very unpopular SNP and President Nicola blitzed Holyrood for the 3rd time in a row.

Tories are scum, red or blue.

Deary me. Not the best advert for Scottish nationalism are you? What with this and your Provo green brigade chat you should GTF to kerrydale street.

Space Mackerel

Deary me. Not the best advert for Scottish nationalism are you? What with this and your Provo green brigade chat you should GTF to kerrydale street.

Staunch [emoji106]

Give us an S....Staunch

And the cry was no Surrender....

Mid 70s to 80s pish. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staunch [emoji106]

Give us an S....Staunch

And the cry was no Surrender....

Mid 70s to 80s pish. [emoji23]

Yawn. Tedious boring come backs from you. At least you're consistent.

Sorry, it's funny you mention the homophobia...i'm actually surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier.

I was talking to my partner (now fianc?!) and we were discussing how much we can't stand Ms Davidson, but anyone who uses her sexuality as a way to have a pop is seriously out of order.

As I say, individuals may lose the plot, but shouldn't take away from either side of the argument.

He has no argument when he uses such derogatory and out of date terms. I disagree as you do with Davidson on policy not her sexuality. What do i care of that? Hee-haw.

I was born in 1990. I grew up in a Labour Scotland. I'm Labour. I voted for Smith. I grew up with devolution and cherish it. I don't like the Tories but i can see why they are winning over Labour. I can see why they are popular over Labour. I can see why Davidson is doing well. The reason is a fear of independence. Nothing else. With the current debate an SNP collapse favours one party and it's not Labour. It's the Tories. I honestly believe a "good" Brexit which undercuts the SNP will mean Ruth Davidson as FM...

32a951b00867b02f22b5865f8b6d5621.jpg

Nu Labour gone.

A play on an Owen Smith backer who said, i backed:

Burnham

AV

Miliband

Kendall

Remain

Smith

Nothing new. Not enough said. The debate goes on. What Brexit deal will suffice? Gonna guess nothing, even if she got it all. It's a false debate. A false choice. Move one.

Space Mackerel

A play on an Owen Smith backer who said, i backed:

Burnham

AV

Miliband

Kendall

Remain

Smith

Nothing new. Not enough said. The debate goes on. What Brexit deal will suffice? Gonna guess nothing, even if she got it all. It's a false debate. A false choice. Move one.

She's a goner up North, a mini Ruth D

:) that's twice you've referred to Celtic, your not fae bearsden are you?

Not all jts are mini OF btw.

Why do we tolerate Spacked Mongrel and Aushyteh?

They're both the utter ruination of any thread they appear on.

Ignorant, one-eyed, bigoted nationalism personified.

What's up with you, trapper? No like it back?

You are a vile person. Homophobic abuse. Personal digs. Mixed with a tad of paranoia.

Took you a while, but a last you pull someone up.

Now lets see the consistency.

He has no argument when he uses such derogatory and out of date terms. I disagree as you do with Davidson on policy not her sexuality. What do i care of that? Hee-haw.

I was born in 1990. I grew up in a Labour Scotland. I'm Labour. I voted for Smith. I grew up with devolution and cherish it. I don't like the Tories but i can see why they are winning over Labour. I can see why they are popular over Labour. I can see why Davidson is doing well. The reason is a fear of independence. Nothing else. With the current debate an SNP collapse favours one party and it's not Labour. It's the Tories. I honestly believe a "good" Brexit which undercuts the SNP will mean Ruth Davidson as FM...

Its because she's a Tory.I can't stand the woman, and she had no qualms about abusing the French SNP MSP did she.

Kezia? Patrick? Etc... Homophobia where?

Its because she's a Tory.I can't stand the woman, and she had no qualms about abusing the French SNP MSP did she.

Kezia? Patrick? Etc... Homophobia where?

So because someone who is a gay Tory it's ok to call her a "carpet muncher"?

If you believe that to be the case you're clueless.

Don't get the anti Tory agenda on here. Its as if the Tories are linked to the English in some way so therefore are hated.....is that not racism??

Don't get the anti Tory agenda on here. Its as if the Tories are linked to the English in some way so therefore are hated.....is that not racism??

Their rise in popularity in Scotland certainly seems to have some of the separatists rattled.

AlphonseCapone

I hate their policies if that's sound with you?

No I didn't.

But you just did.

Space Mackerel

ackihttp://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/the-snp-have-broken-their-promise-to-abolish-the-council-taxThe above link to a Scottish Labour site gives direct quotes from Salmond and Sturgeon that they would abolish the council tax. Seems your research is somewhat lacking so I await an apology. No doubt I will get more spin instead

Nu Labour and G Brown saying they'll withhold ?400m if SNP abolish Cooncil Tax.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/an-absence-of-challenge/

I'll start listening to you again when you become fair again.

Insults and innuendo about The FM, the SNP and yes voters is ok by you.

Jimmy Krankie I'm sure I could make a case for some LGBT phobia on that one as for the terrorist shite that's been spouted for 2 year. Nothing not a word from you the great offended one, all because someone said carpet cleaner. Boo hoo.

I like to clean carpets too, very much.

Arnold Rothstein

Jimmy Krankie I'm sure I could make a case for some LGBT phobia on that one as for the terrorist shite that's been spouted for 2 year. Nothing not a word from you the great offended one, all because someone said carpet cleaner. Boo hoo.

Wow. You're the one claiming you didn't use that term. Now you're saying it's fair game because others have called Sturgeon Jimmy Krankie? You're all over the place.

Wow. You're the one claiming you didn't use that term. Now you're saying it's fair game because others have called Sturgeon Jimmy Krankie? You're all over the place.

My wee maw died,(on my youngest sons birthday) so I'm allowed to be ,all over the place at the minute.

My wee maw died,(on my youngest sons birthday) so I'm allowed to be ,all over the place at the minute.

Not really

Stay off this stuff in that case

More to do with their horrific policies and attitude, rather than any notion of Englishes, imo. Some may see it differently.

Wow. You're really all over the shop here. You used homophobic language. You do so again.

I've never tolerated any of the crap that's been directed at some members of the SNP and the FM. I do not for a moment have any clue what your terrorist comment is about.

You cannot form a coherent view point without a clear and blatant bit of abuse. When you can, we can maybe try again.

acki

http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/the-snp-have-broken-their-promise-to-abolish-the-council-tax

The above link to a Scottish Labour site gives direct quotes from Salmond and Sturgeon that they would abolish the council tax. Seems your research is somewhat lacking so I await an apology. No doubt I will get more spin instead

The audacity of this is quite something. You do understand that the publication you quote from is from a partisan political party.

You do understand that all the quotes supporting the abolition of the Council Tax, on the site except one, come from a period when it was SNP policy to abolish the Council Tax and is not being disputed by anybody.

The decision to change that policy was taken in 2009. The BBC may be a better source. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7882302.stm The policy has not been reintroduced. I'm sure you are aware that we have had a Council Tax Freeze for several years and that has been the policy until a few months ago. Presumably you understand that you cannot have two different policies that are mutually exclusive i.e. a freeze and abolition. The SNP is not like the Labour Party when you can be for and against things at the same time e.g. Trident, Tax credits, freezing Council tax, etc.

If you read the BBC source you will understand why the commitment of the SNP was not kept i.e the Labour party voted against it with Andy Kerr saying"I am pleased for the hard-working families of Scotland who won't have to pay this ludicrous tax," added Mr Kerr, whose party said it would make Scotland the highest-taxed part of the country.

They united with the Tories, as so frequently happens nowadays, in both reason (highest taxed part of the country) and deed, by voting with the Tories to prevent the removal of the Council Tax.

There has been a promise to consult on Council Tax with the outcomes being put to the country. This has happened. We have had some reforms and the Council Tax is no longer frozen. By your logic though the SNP have broken their promise to freeze the Council Tax. I expect when the bills go up your party will complain that they broke the 2011 manifesto promise to freeze the Council Tax

Unless of course you know different.

How are you getting on with the reappraisal of the information you posted on the SNP abandoning their assessment proposals? Care to substantiate your comments or offer an apology to those you misinformed.

Down to 16% in the polls - cant be many Labour stalwarts left now.

The audacity of this is quite something. You do understand that the publication you quote from is from a partisan political party.

You do understand that all the quotes supporting the abolition of the Council Tax, on the site except one, come from a period when it was SNP policy to abolish the Council Tax and is not being disputed by anybody.

The decision to change that policy was taken in 2009. The BBC may be a better source. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7882302.stm The policy has not been reintroduced. I'm sure you are aware that we have had a Council Tax Freeze for several years and that has been the policy until a few months ago. Presumably you understand that you cannot have two different policies that are mutually exclusive i.e. a freeze and abolition. The SNP is not like the Labour Party when you can be for and against things at the same time e.g. Trident, Tax credits, freezing Council tax, etc.

If you read the BBC source you will understand why the commitment of the SNP was not kept i.e the Labour party voted against it with Andy Kerr saying"I am pleased for the hard-working families of Scotland who won't have to pay this ludicrous tax," added Mr Kerr, whose party said it would make Scotland the highest-taxed part of the country.

They united with the Tories, as so frequently happens nowadays, in both reason (highest taxed part of the country) and deed, by voting with the Tories to prevent the removal of the Council Tax.

There has been a promise to consult on Council Tax with the outcomes being put to the country. This has happened. We have had some reforms and the Council Tax is no longer frozen. By your logic though the SNP have broken their promise to freeze the Council Tax. I expect when the bills go up your party will complain that they broke the 2011 manifesto promise to freeze the Council Tax

How are you getting on with the reappraisal of the information you posted on the SNP abandoning their assessment proposals? Care to substantiate your comments or offer an apology to those you misinformed.

Yet they advocated replacing the tax in 2011.

I have to say, and looking at the substance of the competing policies, local income tax was always a poor idea. It suffered from a number of problems in Scotland.

Most bodies recommended that it be set at 5% to earn an equivalence of the council tax, but the SNP suggested 3% and increased central government subsidy. The caveat being Holyrood set the rate not Local Government. The Liberals wanted to back it but didn't due to central control.

It could've moved forward with that support.

The best alternative, in terms of fairness, redevelopment and transparency is Land Tax. Something the Greens have advocated for a while now. An excellent idea. Values inner city property fairly and brown field sites are cheaper for developing and forces clarity on land ownership, which is a barrier to land banking.

On policy terms the Council Tax is guff and out of date. LIT is problematic. Land Tax is the future.

Yet they advocated replacing the tax in 2011.

I have to say, and looking at the substance of the competing policies, local income tax was always a poor idea. It suffered from a number of problems in Scotland.

Most bodies recommended that it be set at 5% to earn an equivalence of the council tax, but the SNP suggested 3% and increased central government subsidy. The caveat being Holyrood set the rate not Local Government. The Liberals wanted to back it but didn't due to central control.

It could've moved forward with that support.

The best alternative, in terms of fairness, redevelopment and transparency is Land Tax. Something the Greens have advocated for a while now. An excellent idea. Values inner city property fairly and brown field sites are cheaper for developing and forces clarity on land ownership, which is a barrier to land banking.

On policy terms the Council Tax is guff and out of date. LIT is problematic. Land Tax is the future.

I think they advocated reforming the tax after consultation. The policy was the one criticised on here repeatedly by yourself and others i.e Council Tax freeze. It was in fact the first statement in the 2011 manifesto.

I think they advocated reforming the tax after consultation. The policy was the one criticised on here repeatedly by yourself and others i.e Council Tax freeze. It was in fact the first statement in the 2011 manifesto.

The Council Tax Freeze is a black hole for state monies. Rather than tax returns having risen with inflation or government deal with local government reform (or even revaluation) they've froze tax bands, seen revenue decrease and tried to plug an ever growing hole in finances unsuccessfully resulting in cuts and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The SNP have opted for the easy option each time. They really do need to deal with this now after 9 years of not doing so.

HaymarketJambo

The Council Tax Freeze is a black hole for state monies. Rather than tax returns having risen with inflation or government deal with local government reform (or even revaluation) they've froze tax bands, seen revenue decrease and tried to plug an ever growing hole in finances unsuccessfully resulting in cuts and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The SNP have opted for the easy option each time. They really do need to deal with this now after 9 years of not doing so.

On the SNP have opted for the easy option each time, we had an election this year and SNP won that election and Labour came an embarrassing 3rd and if you look at the latest poll for Westminster the SNP are on  50% to 55% while Labour are 3rd on 16% and behind the Conservatives.

We had a chance to put in a Labour government in at Holyrood this year but we didn't the Scots still voted for the SNP in big numbers? 

On the SNP have opted for the easy option each time, we had an election this year and SNP won that election and Labour came an embarrassing 3rd and if you look at the latest poll for Westminster the SNP are on  50% to 55% while Labour are 3rd on 16% and behind the Conservatives.

We had a chance to put in a Labour government in at Holyrood this year but we didn't the Scots still voted for the SNP in big numbers? 

And they voted SNP in the knowledge that the Council Tax would be unfrozen and rebanded, and that higher earners would pay proportionately more Income Tax. It seems we are down to about 16% of voters who still do not understand that there has been a shift in the taxation burden from the less well off to the more well off in Scotland. UK taxation is going in the other direction.

HaymarketJambo

And they voted SNP in the knowledge that the Council Tax would be unfrozen and rebanded, and that higher earners would pay proportionately more Income Tax. It seems we are down to about 16% of voters who still do not understand that there has been a shift in the taxation burden from the less well off to the more well off in Scotland. UK taxation is going in the other direction.

Correct.

Next time somebody in the Labour Party should tell our Kezia to press the button if she wants to defeat the government over council tax, it does help.    

On the SNP have opted for the easy option each time, we had an election this year and SNP won that election and Labour came an embarrassing 3rd and if you look at the latest poll for Westminster the SNP are on 50% to 55% while Labour are 3rd on 16% and behind the Conservatives.

Two manifesto commitments to do away with it, a third to make tweeks to it. That's not really delivery on a tough issue.

People voted in all elections to return them. Doesn't necessarily mean a government has actually delivered all it's aims or made tough decisions. The SNP are populists and make decisions and policy choices which generally cause least disruption or upset. Council tax freeze is an excellent example of that.

Just because they've won elections doesn't mean they've made hard choices or enacted difficult changes. The SNP talk big and fiddle: land reform and local tax being major signs of that.

HaymarketJambo

Two manifesto commitments to do away with it, a third to make tweeks to it. That's not really delivery on a tough issue.

People voted in all elections to return them. Doesn't necessarily mean a government has actually delivered all it's aims or made tough decisions. The SNP are populists and make decisions and policy choices which generally cause least disruption or upset. Council tax freeze is an excellent example of that.

Just because they've won elections doesn't mean they've made hard choices or enacted difficult changes. The SNP talk big and fiddle: land reform and local tax being major signs of that.

Well a hell of a lot people voted SNP at this years Holyrood elections so they must kind of trust the SNP in government unlike the once great Scottish Labour Party who finished 3rd behind the Conservatives.   

Well a hell of a lot people voted SNP at this years Holyrood elections so they must kind of trust the SNP in government unlike the once great Scottish Labour Party who finished 3rd behind the Conservatives.

In no way is that in dispute.

I currently live in a Band G house paying approx ?2500 per year Council Tax, my pension is ?21k per year, the CT next year for me will go up by around ?10 per week, tell me how this is hitting the high earners proportionately?

The SNP have shouted for years about the unfair CT and how they would abolish it and link it more to earnings, with their proposal I will pay the exact same increase as someone on ?100k per year, fair?

The Council tax freeze over the last 9 years has benefited the rich proportionately much more than anyone else. Another example of progressive policy from the do nothing party.

The Council tax freeze over the last 9 years has benefited the rich proportionately much more than anyone else. Another example of progressive policy from the do nothing party.

This in spades.

I currently live in a Band G house paying approx ?2500 per year Council Tax, my pension is ?21k per year, the CT next year for me will go up by around ?10 per week, tell me how this is hitting the high earners proportionately?

The SNP have shouted for years about the unfair CT and how they would abolish it and link it more to earnings, with their proposal I will pay the exact same increase as someone on ?100k per year, fair?

I presume I can go back on here and see your yearly posts thanking the SNP for freezing the council tax?? 

I presume I can go back on here and see your yearly posts thanking the SNP for freezing the council tax??

Missing the point completely, it's about the ability to pay and it's fairness

Missing the point completely, it's about the ability to pay and it's fairness

you are moaning about the council tax going up by ?10 a week so I presume you were thasnking the SNP for freezing the council tax for the last 8 years. As for the increases as the SNP stated That?s why our plans will ensure those living in lower-band properties A to D ? at least 75 per cent of all households in Scotland ? will pay the same, or even less, than they do today in council tax.

I agree the council tax isn't perfect but they are targetting those in high-value houses. This, like in your case, doesn't always mean those earning high wages, but in the majority of cases it will

you are moaning about the council tax going up by ?10 a week so I presume you were thasnking the SNP for freezing the council tax for the last 8 years. As for the increases as the SNP stated That?s why our plans will ensure those living in lower-band properties A to D ? at least 75 per cent of all households in Scotland ? will pay the same, or even less, than they do today in council tax.

I agree the council tax isn't perfect but they are targetting those in high-value houses. This, like in your case, doesn't always mean those earning high wages, but in the majority of cases it will

It won't though. Pensioners live in homes which were low value and are now desireable. The bands set are those to old valuations also. Nor do they take account of rental accommodation caught.

Best to either revalue. Or to get rid entirely. This is fiddling round the edges.

jambos are go!

The audacity of this is quite something. You do understand that the publication you quote from is from a partisan political party.

You do understand that all the quotes supporting the abolition of the Council Tax, on the site except one, come from a period when it was SNP policy to abolish the Council Tax and is not being disputed by anybody.

The decision to change that policy was taken in 2009. The BBC may be a better source. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7882302.stm The policy has not been reintroduced. I'm sure you are aware that we have had a Council Tax Freeze for several years and that has been the policy until a few months ago. Presumably you understand that you cannot have two different policies that are mutually exclusive i.e. a freeze and abolition. The SNP is not like the Labour Party when you can be for and against things at the same time e.g. Trident, Tax credits, freezing Council tax, etc.

There has been a promise to consult on Council Tax with the outcomes being put to the country. This has happened. We have had some reforms and the Council Tax is no longer frozen. By your logic though the SNP have broken their promise to freeze the Council Tax. I expect when the bills go up your party will complain that they broke the 2011 manifesto promise to freeze the Council Tax

How are you getting on with the reappraisal of the information you posted on the SNP abandoning their assessment proposals? Care to substantiate your comments or offer an apology to those you misinformed.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf

If you look at the attached link to a pdf of the SNP manifesto you will see that Salmond gives a clear pledge to replace Council yousing the exact same words as Labour quoted. Despite claiming deep research you only looked at a summary page.

Your link to the BBC does not show that Swinney had abandoned replacement of the Council tax only postponed it to the next Parliament. Your claimed thorough research is again lacking and you have mislead this board twice and should acknowledge that.

Whether the complaints about assessment were controversial or not is a matter of opinion and not fact.

The headline to the article I postes was:-

jambos are go!

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf

If you look at the attached link to a pdf of the SNP manifesto you will see that Salmond gives a clear pledge to replace Council yousing the exact same words as Labour quoted. Despite claiming deep research you only looked at a summary page.

Your link to the BBC does not show that Swinney had abandoned replacement of the Council tax only postponed it to the next Parliament. Your claimed thorough research is again lacking and you have mislead this board twice and should acknowledge that.

Whether the complaints about assessment were controversial or not is a matter of opinion and not fact.

The headline to the article I postes was:-

url=https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf]https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf[/url]

If you look at the attached link to a pdf of the SNP manifesto you will see that on Page 3 Salmond gives a clear pledge to replace Council using the exact same words as Labour quoted. Despite claiming deep research you only looked at a summary page.

Whether the Down to 16% in the polls - cant be many Labour stalwarts left now.

If you look at the attached link to a pdf of the SNP manifesto you will see that on Page 3 Salmond gives a clear pledge to replace Council using the exact same words as Labour quoted. Despite claiming deep research you only looked at a summary page.

url=https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf]https://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/04/16/snp-manifesto-2011/snp-manifesto-2011.pdf[/url]

Whether the my use of the term 'controversial' is justified in the light of complaints is a matter of opinion not fact.

Archived