Jimmy Calderwood - Genius!

Rawrrrrrrr

Rawrrrrrrr

Last summer he was interested in a dutch amatuer player called Ferne Bodde, but baulked at the "outragous" transfer fee of 50k and walked away

Swansea paid the 50k and he has became one of there best players and is on the verge of a move to the championship with derby for between 1-2 million

Calderwood done good:rolleyes:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

calderwood is a mod edit,

but what really amazes me is the amount of people (media included) who champion this fat weedgie mod edit cause as one of best managers in the spl.

tactically nieve and totally out his depth.

Charlie-Brown

Ex-Hibs Alex Miller once told Crewe that signing target David Platt was not a ?250K player......

Charlie-Brown

On a similar theme it was reported on Friday that ex-Motherwell striker Richie Foran had knocked back a proposed move to Aberdeen as their wage offer was too low - I always thought he caused Hearts problems when he played against us - what does everyone else think about Foran?

Rawrrrrrrr
On a similar theme it was reported on Friday that ex-Motherwell striker Richie Foran had knocked back a proposed move to Aberdeen as their wage offer was too low - I always thought he caused Hearts problems when he played against us - what does everyone else think about Foran?

Agreed

From day 1 when aberdeen where linked with him I thought 100k might be just about a decent deal

Not a great player but will cause problems for most SPL defenders

Aberdeen are claiming his knee is dodgy though although suspect tangoman just doesnt want to look silly

Could be well worth a hearts look

shaun.lawson
calderwood is a ******,

but what really amazes me is the amount of people (media included) who champion this fat weedgie pwicks cause as one of best managers in the spl.

They do so because of his record - which can't be argued with, especially when you look at Dunfermline's fortunes after he left, and Aberdeen's for the decade prior to his appointment there. Since his arrival at Pittodrie, they've been the most consistent side outwith the OF.

Charlie-Brown
Agreed

From day 1 when aberdeen where linked with him I thought 100k might be just about a decent deal

Not a great player but will cause problems for most SPL defenders

Aberdeen are claiming his knee is dodgy though although suspect tangoman just doesnt want to look silly

Could be well worth a hearts look

He's a bit like Velicka ie not the greatest player in the grand scheme of things but an effective & proven scorer at SPL level.

They do so because of his record - which can't be argued with, especially when you look at Dunfermline's fortunes after he left, and Aberdeen's for the decade prior to his appointment there. Since his arrival at Pittodrie, they've been the most consistent side outwith the OF.

the same dunfermline team that when one goal down against us calderwood in his infinate wisdom decided to go with 4 up front and get humped?

and not on one occasion.

and i'd beg to differ about aberdeen being the most consistent team outwith the o.f??????

shaun.lawson
the same dunfermline team that when one goal down against us calderwood in his infinate wisdom decided to go with 4 up front and get humped?

and not on one occasion.

and i'd beg to differ about aberdeen being the most consistent team outwith the o.f??????

So because he stuffed up one game, he deserves to have it held against him for the rest of time?! Remember England's 4-1 destruction of the Dutch at Euro 96? Holland were appalling - and who was their manager at the time? One Guus Hiddink. Good job the Dutch FA didn't subscribe to your way of doing things, eh?

Calderwood arrived at Aberdeen in Summer 2004. Since then, they've finished 4th, 6th, 3rd and 4th. Total 17: average, 4.25. Over the same period, Hearts have been 5th, 2nd, 4th and 8th. Total 19: average, 4.75; and Hibs, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 6th. Total 19, average 4.75. And this has been achieved within a context of Aberdeen enjoying two decent seasons in the whole decade prior to his arrival: a period in which they plumbed the depths, and were a national laughing stock at times. Like him or loathe him, Tangoman changed all that. He also led Dunfy to 4th place, a Cup final and Europe - or doesn't that count because we beat them 7-1 once either?

magalufhearts

and not on one occasion.

Hate to admit it tho but Aberdeen had the best finish form wise outwith the top 6, Lost 1 nil at darkheed and should have had a goal, beat the vermin 2-1, beat the arabs 2-1, should have got a draw at motherwell when the ball clearly crossed the line and beat the huns 2-0.

I still dislike them with a passion tho!!!

So because he stuffed up one game, he deserves to have it held against him for the rest of time?! Remember England's 4-1 destruction of the Dutch at Euro 96? Holland were appalling - and who was their manager at the time? One Guus Hiddink. Good job the Dutch FA didn't subscribe to your way of doing things, eh?

Calderwood arrived at Aberdeen in Summer 2004. Since then, they've finished 4th, 6th, 3rd and 4th. Total 17: average, 4.25. Over the same period, Hearts have been 5th, 2nd, 4th and 8th. Total 19: average, 4.75; and Hibs, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 6th. Total 19, average 4.75. And this has been achieved within a context of Aberdeen enjoying two decent seasons in the whole decade prior to his arrival: a period in which they plumbed the depths, and were a national laughing stock at times. Like him or loathe him, Tangoman changed all that. He also led Dunfy to 4th place, a Cup final and Europe - or doesn't that count because we beat them 7-1 once either?

ok hands up!!!!

with him in charge it would appear aberdeen are the most succesfull outwith the of in terms of league positions...but success is always measured on winning things so you might wanna add our scottish cup win to your statistics?

and shaun im not talking just one game!!!

whats calderwoods record against hearts?

Charlie-Brown

I think we can all agree that Tangoman is a dislikeable fat fud regardless of whether we rate him as a manager or not?

rudi must stay

damn right we did, when we were awful as well. I suppose he is an okay manager, has done well at the clubs he's been at but tbh that shows what a dire league we are in, he has no tactics and his teams in the past have been exploited for that

shaun.lawson
damn right we did, when we were awful as well. I suppose he is an okay manager, has done well at the clubs he's been at but tbh that shows what a dire league we are in, he has no tactics and his teams in the past have been exploited for that

For a man with no tactics, isn't it funny how Aberdeen did better in Europe than any non-OF club since 1989?

JJ also went for broke in the 1996 Scottish Cup Final, and we ended up getting battered 5-1 - should he be slagged off for this too? Alex MacDonald lost 6-2 at St Mirren (!), a defeat and scoreline which arguably cost us that season's title. And Craig Levein, who most Jambos would be delighted with, lost 6-1 at Motherwell in a season when they finished bottom; and in 06/7, 5-1 at home to Falkirk!

It's the overall record that counts. Judging a manager by one, or a handful of one-off games strikes me as ridiculous, TBPH.

For a man with no tactics, isn't it funny how Aberdeen did better in Europe than any non-OF club since 1989?

JJ also went for broke in the 1996 Scottish Cup Final, and we ended up getting battered 5-1 - should he be slagged off for this too? Alex MacDonald lost 6-2 at St Mirren (!), a defeat and scoreline which arguably cost us that season's title. And Craig Levein, who most Jambos would be delighted with, lost 6-1 at Motherwell in a season when they finished bottom; and in 06/7, 5-1 at home to Falkirk!

It's the overall record that counts. Judging a manager by one, or a handful of one-off games strikes me as ridiculous, TBPH.

jj didnt go for broke we were papped by a superior team that day???

the other games you mention were one of games imho,

and shaun isnt aberdeen success in europe more to do with a change in format?

shaun.lawson
ok hands up!!!!

with him in charge it would appear aberdeen are the most succesfull outwith the of in terms of league positions...but success is always measured on winning things so you might wanna add our scottish cup win to your statistics?

and shaun im not talking just one game!!!

whats calderwoods record against hearts?

Sure, we've won a trophy in that time - but what was our budget, and what was Aberdeen's? Indeed, over the last decade, how many non-OF clubs have either challenged for the league or won the Cup while operating within a wage bill commensurate with their revenue and gates? Answer: none at all. That really ought to tell you something.

As for his record against us: sure, we've had the better of things. But we've also had a budget of at least double his for the past three years, and way more while he was at Dunfermline too! Incidentally, don't get me wrong: I don't like the guy one bit, and hardly think he's anything special. His constant rotation drives most Aberdeen fans crazy too. But I often get the feeling the loathing he inspires in other Scottish fans obscures his record: which at this point, one trophy win excepted, is actually identical in terms of league finishes to JJ's over his first four seasons at Hearts.

But have you ever watched Hearts play a Calderwood managed team and thought ..........phew, they really done us over there ?

Cant say I have

shaun.lawson
jj didnt go for broke we were papped by a superior team that day???

the other games you mention were one of games imho,

and shaun isnt aberdeen success in europe more to do with a change in format?

No other club has got through the group stages since they were brought in - including us. And only ourselves had ever even reached the groups in the first place!

Yes, Rangers were clearly superior, both on paper and on the day. But once Rousset's bloomer left us 2-0 down, JJ figured we could either close things up and accept defeat, or given it was a Cup Final, go for broke. To his credit, he did the latter: cue massive spaces in the Hearts half, Laudrup and Gascoigne thinking it was Christmas, and a 5-1 humping.

shaun.lawson
But have you ever watched Hearts play a Calderwood managed team and thought ..........phew, they really done us over there ?

Cant say I have

Can't say I have, either. Hearts beat Aberdeen 4-1 last season, of course. But I know which club had the better campaign overall - and that they were generally awful yet still ended up 4th is a comment not just on the SPL, but on Aberdeen too. They're awfully close to taking over our mantle as the team to beat if you want to end up 3rd: which is another negative legacy of Romanov's time so far.

rudi must stay

who wouldn't have got through that group, all they need to do was win 1 match to qualify ffs. So where the 2 cup semi-finals off days as well then? When they got beat by teams who they had a decent chance against, and both times conceding 4 goals.

shaun.lawson
who wouldn't have got through that group, all they need to do was win 1 match to qualify ffs. So where the 2 cup semi-finals off days as well then? When they got beat by teams who they had a decent chance against, and both times conceding 4 goals.

But it was a real achievement to get to the group in the first place: remember what Dnipro did to Hibs? Yet Aberdeen got past them. Meanwhile, yes, it turned out that they only needed 4 points - but that still means they qualified ahead of Lokomotiv Moscow and Copenhagen, both clubs (especially the former) with much greater expectations of a UEFA run than Aberdeen. Then, they even held a true European super club 2-2 in the first leg, before class inevitably told in the return. If Hearts had just won our two home games in the UEFA groups in 04/5, we'd have got through too; but we didn't.

And no, they certainly didn't perform in the two semi-finals. But then, neither did JJ's Hearts when St Johnstone humiliated us 3-0, or Doddie's Hearts on far too many occasions. Truth is, Aberdeen were defensively hopeless all season long, especially on their travels - yet in spite of this, they finished 4th, and had a real adventure in Europe. Seems pretty remarkable to me given Calderwood's apparently such an awful manager...

rudi must stay
But it was a real achievement to get to the group in the first place: remember what Dnipro did to Hibs? Yet Aberdeen got past them. Meanwhile, yes, it turned out that they only needed 4 points - but that still means they qualified ahead of Lokomotiv Moscow and Copenhagen, both clubs (especially the former) with much greater expectations of a UEFA run than Aberdeen. Then, they even held a true European super club 2-2 in the first leg, before class inevitably told in the return.

And no, they certainly didn't perform in the two semi-finals. But then, neither did JJ's Hearts when St Johnstone humiliated us 3-0, or Doddie's Hearts on far too many occasions. Truth is, Aberdeen were defensively hopeless all season long, especially on their travels - yet in spite of this, they finished 4th, and had a real adventure in Europe. Seems pretty remarkable to me given Calderwood's apparently such an awful manager...

they looked less than super that night that's for sure and tbh they could have beaten them, which wouldn't have been all that suprising look how well Scotland did against France.

Fair enough 1 game in the cup they didn't perform in, but 2 in the same season as well. That to me anyway just tells you the manager isn't that great and that he has trouble winning the big matches

shaun.lawson
Regards the OP what is Aberdeen's financial position?

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/aberdeen/index.htm

Not great - but year-on-year losses have been getting much smaller, and the European revenue from last season must've helped! Overall, their position is pretty standard for a mid-ranking non-OF club in today's very difficult climate, with the big difference between them and Hibs being that they didn't hit upon a freakishly talented generation of youngsters, so haven't been able to make major inroads into their debt by selling players.

The Pittodrie situation, as always referenced by one of our friends on here, is key to what happens in the medium and long term; and Calderwood's record looks all the better when juxtaposed with their attendances, which are comparable with ours under Levein, and now well behind both Hearts and Hibs.

shaun.lawson
they looked less than super that night that's for sure and tbh they could have beaten them, which wouldn't have been all that suprising look how well Scotland did against France.

Fair enough 1 game in the cup they didn't perform in, but 2 in the same season as well. That to me anyway just tells you the manager isn't that great and that he has trouble winning the big matches

Great? No - absolutely no! But perfectly decent and probably underrated? Yes - at least I think so, anyway.

rudi must stay
Great? No - absolutely no! But perfectly decent and probably underrated? Yes - at least I think so, anyway.

i don't think he's underrated at all tbh. if anything he's overrated, all the SPL managers say how wonderful he is and that he's a 'great manager'.. not imo anyway

Charlie-Brown
http://www.football-finances.org.uk/aberdeen/index.htm

Not great - but year-on-year losses have been getting much smaller, and the European revenue from last season must've helped! Overall, their position is pretty standard for a mid-ranking non-OF club in today's very difficult climate, with the big difference between them and Hibs being that they didn't hit upon a freakishly talented generation of youngsters, so haven't been able to make major inroads into their debt by selling players.

The Pittodrie situation, as always referenced by one of our friends on here, is key to what happens in the medium and long term; and Calderwood's record looks all the better when juxtaposed with their attendances, which are comparable with ours under Levein, and now well behind both Hearts and Hibs.

Cheers for the link Shaun :) They seem to be under severe wage pressure regards trying to attract or retain their players (but then so is most of the SPL) however as Prancer pointed out even paying minimal amounts for 'amatuer' or semi-professional players is seemingly beyond them just now.....I was surprised that Lee Miller signed a new deal there given most of the current Dons team seems headed for the Championship / English Leagues.

I also notice an increasing trend for many SPL clubs taking players on loan - mostly promising young players from English clubs (although not exclusively)...Stokes, Flood, J.Robertson, Alonko, Kruill & others all spring to mind yet our clubs seem right from the outset to have little or no prospect of being able to keep them on and simply using them as a cheap or affordable source of (temporary) talent.

shaun.lawson
Cheers for the link Shaun :) They seem to be under severe wage pressure regards trying to attract or retain their players (but then so is most of the SPL) however as Prancer pointed out even paying minimal amounts for 'amatuer' or semi-professional players is seemingly beyond them just now.....I was surprised that Lee Miller signed a new deal there given most of the current Dons team seems headed for the Championship / English Leagues.

I also notice an increasing trend for many SPL clubs taking players on loan - mostly promising young players from English clubs (although not exclusively)...Stokes, Flood, J.Robertson, Alonko, Kruill & others all spring to mind yet our clubs seem right from the outset to have little or no prospect of being able to keep them on and simply using them as a cheap or affordable source of (temporary) talent.

It's the same with many Championship clubs too, NMH. The loan system's helped Stoke progress a lot; and at Norwich, we'll probably make four or five loan signings in August to help bolster a frighteningly thin squad. That's all you can do if you don't have the money: and EPL managers are quite happy to loan out youngsters if you can promise they'll be getting regular first team football in a competitive environment.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Can I just point out that Tango blew an easy chance of Europe for 08-09 by getting pumped by a mid-table 1st division side in a semi final? :)

Spellczech
Can I just point out that Tango blew an easy chance of Europe for 08-09 by getting pumped by a mid-table 1st division side in a semi final? :)

I think he is good at putting together a good side but very poor tactically, especially when things are going against him. The fact that he has improved every team he?s managed must indicate that he can build a team. The fact that he panics if his team are losing and goes into all out attack self-destruction because it may have fortuitously worked one time, proves that he is not the man to have on the touchline.

He?d make a great DOF though IMHO...

WorldChampions1902

It's nothing new and a similar thing happened to us under JJ. I know one England-based Jambo who wrote a letter of recommendation to JJ regarding a then unknown striker called Geoff Horsfield who was playing non-League football.

Nothing came of it and a couple of years later after Horsfield had become a big hit (and was valued at around ?1.5m), whilst at a supporters function that individual asked Jeffries why the club hadn't signed him. JJ told him that he had Horsfield watched and decided to sign him. Unfortunately, the Pieman wouldn't sanction the nominal transfer fee of around ?50k IIRC.

So this sort of thing has come back to haunt us in the past.

Jimmy is an infuriating beast, that is for sure.

You can watch Aberdeen and be absolutely mystefied at what he's trying to do, but he does get results.

Aberdeens results have inproved dramaticly under him, and his league placings don't even tell the full story.

The first season we finished 4th on goal difference (on the final day of the season, I saw a team time-waste when 2 - 0 down :eek:;):) so that their most hated foes could get third)

To put that achievement into context, the previous season we finished 11th :eek:.

When we finished 6th we were only 2 points off 4th.

In 2006/7 it was still possible (although unlikely) that we could get 2nd until the last 3 games of the season :eek:

This season, we did pretty well in europe and finished 4th despite the genuine feeling that we'd underachieved and played poorly :confused:

Jimmy obviously instills a certain x factor that means his teams work. I don't know what it is, as often I'm baffled, but there is obviously something about him. Willie Miller obviously sees something I don't as well as he gave him a 3.5 year contract :eek::eek: extension.

For all the praise that Flair FC, Falkirk and others get, like Shaun said Aberdeen are currently the team you need to finish above to get europe.

Yours

aDONis

Charlie-Brown
It's nothing new and a similar thing happened to us under JJ. I know one England-based Jambo who wrote a letter of recommendation to JJ regarding a then unknown striker called Geoff Horsfield who was playing non-League football.

Nothing came of it and a couple of years later after Horsfield had become a big hit (and was valued at around ?1.5m), whilst at a supporters function that individual asked Jeffries why the club hadn't signed him. JJ told him that he had Horsfield watched and decided to sign him. Unfortunately, the Pieman wouldn't sanction the nominal transfer fee of around ?50k IIRC.

So this sort of thing has come back to haunt us in the past.

I also believe that Nacho Novo & Scott MacDonald were previously offered to Hearts for very nominal sums (less than ?25K) but CPR wouldn't sanction the spend on these unknown quantities......

shaun.lawson
Jimmy is an infuriating beast, that is for sure.

You can watch Aberdeen and be absolutely mystefied at what he's trying to do, but he does get results.

Aberdeens results have inproved dramaticly under him, and his league placings don't even tell the full story.

The first season we finished 4th on goal difference (on the final day of the season, I saw a team time-waste when 2 - 0 down :eek:;):) so that their most hated foes could get third)

To put that achievement into context, the previous season we finished 11th :eek:.

When we finished 6th we were only 2 points off 4th.

In 2006/7 it was still possible (although unlikely) that we could get 2nd until the last 3 games of the season :eek:

This season, we did pretty well in europe and finished 4th despite the genuine feeling that we'd underachieved and played poorly :confused:

Jimmy obviously instills a certain x factor that means his teams work. I don't know what it is, as often I'm baffled, but there is obviously something about him. Willie Miller obviously sees something I don't as well as he gave him a 3.5 year contract :eek::eek: extension.

For all the praise that Flair FC, Falkirk and others get, like Shaun said Aberdeen are currently the team you need to finish above to get europe.

Yours

aDONis

I'm lovin' your use of those smileys, aDONis! :eek:, indeed. :)

Miller Jambo 60
calderwood is a mod edit,

but what really amazes me is the amount of people (media included) who champion this fat weedgie mod edit cause as one of best managers in the spl.

FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT TANGO WEEGIE FAK

I kind of understand where all the people that slag Jimmy off are coming from. He and his team are as frustrating as fekk.

20 different centre back pairings this season................... 20 of them. Then he complains about not having a settled back line .................... he picks the team! :eek::eek::eek:

There is an Aberdeen fan on another messageboard that said a very sage thing about Jimmy.

Jimmy thinks about the game a lot, for him, it's a game of chess. Unfortunately everyone else is playing Ludo ;)

That all being said, I'm more chipper about this season coming, than last. We've kept two of our 3 essential players (Nicholson being the odd one out) and we've been looking to strengthen the right areas.

I am pretty confident we'll be in the mix for europe again.

Yours

aDONis

shaun.lawson
I kind of understand where all the people that slag Jimmy off are coming from. He and his team are as frustrating as fekk.

20 different centre back pairings this season................... 20 of them. Then he complains about not having a settled back line .................... he picks the team! :eek::eek::eek:

There is an Aberdeen fan on another messageboard that said a very sage thing about Jimmy.

Jimmy thinks about the game a lot, for him, it's a game of chess. Unfortunately everyone else is playing Ludo ;)

That all being said, I'm more chipper about this season coming, than last. We've kept two of our 3 essential players (Nicholson being the odd one out) and we've been looking to strengthen the right areas.

I am pretty confident we'll be in the mix for europe again.

Yours

aDONis

20 different centre back pairings????????????????

Mental!

From memory the following have all made an appearance at centre back for Aberdeen this season.

Diamond

Severin

Bus

Considine

Byrne

Mair

Touzani

Imagine how many combinations it could have been ;)

Admittedly sometimes we've played 3 at the back and even 2-4-4 on a couple of occasions (when chasing the game). That never works. :(

You do wonder what they do in training though :dribble:

winston churchill

your joking.........right:confused:

shaun.lawson
your joking.........right:confused:

See post #9.

winston churchill
See post #9.

two scottish cup wins in 8 years

four cup finals in in the last 10 years

this is the first season we have finished out side the top 6

first scottish club to reach the euefa group stages

shaun.lawson
two scottish cup wins in 8 years

four cup finals in in the last 10 years

this is the first season we have finished out side the top 6

first scottish club to reach the euefa group stages

Er, yes - but what does any of the above have to do with Calderwood? The point you objected to was that they'd been the most consistent side outwith the OF since his arrival there: which, sorry to have to tell you, they have.

And on your last point: when Aberdeen have actually got through the UEFA groups only last season, what kind of boast is that? :confused:

Charlie-Brown
Er, yes - but what does any of the above have to do with Calderwood? The point you objected to was that they'd been the most consistent side outwith the OF since his arrival there: which, sorry to have to tell you, they have.

And on your last point: when Aberdeen have actually got through the UEFA groups only last season, what kind of boast is that? :confused:

Yes first to reach the UEFA Groups is a very Hobo-ish type claim. :107years:

I don't think anyones arguing about the past 10 years, what Shaun actually said was.

"Since his arrival at Pittodrie, they've been the most consistent side outwith the OF."

Which Aberdeen have been.

Yours

aDONis

PresidentRomanov

Good to see our resident Norwich fan, still sticking up for the opposition - still, at least it's not Celtic this time :rolleyes:

PresidentRomanov
I don't think anyones arguing about the past 10 years, what Shaun actually said was.

"Since his arrival at Pittodrie, they've been the most consistent side outwith the OF."

Yours

aDONis

Haud me back :eek:

Haud me back :eek:

You've obviously not read any of my other posts on this thread ;)

Yours

aDONis

winston churchill

i dont think they have,so you better give us one of your five paragraph specials explaining it.

as i said.

we have only finished once outside the top six

we have also won the scottish cup since the fat wind bag went to todders

he has also had his erse felt by queens park & QOTS in the cups

ps

not having a go,but have you ever attended a hearts match.

Miller Jambo 60

Yours

aDONis

WHAT HAVE YOU WON 0 NOTHING go away and ram a sheep you wee don mup

PresidentRomanov
You've obviously not read any of my other posts on this thread ;)

Yours

aDONis

I honestly tried, but they were far too tedious :)

Still, good to see the european giants have accepted their real level at last :)

Archived