Jimmy Calderwood - Genius!

Rawrrrrrrr

PresidentRomanov
i dont think they have,so you better give us one of your five paragraph specials explaining it.

as i said.

we have only finished once outside the top six

we have also won the scottish cup since the fat wind bag went to todders

he has also had his erse felt by queens park & QOTS in the cups

ps

not having a go,but have you ever attended a hearts match.

He doesn't even list Hearts as his favourite team, never mind attend matches :sad:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson
i dont think they have,so you better give us one of your five paragraph specials explaining it.

as i said.

we have only finished once outside the top six

we have also won the scottish cup since the fat wind bag went to todders

he has also had his erse felt by queens park & QOTS in the cups

ps

not having a go,but have you ever attended a hearts match.

I certainly have!

We won the Scottish Cup, sure - but have also finished 8th. Over the course, they've been more consistent than we have - unless you're going to start arguing with the league table?

shaun.lawson
He doesn't even list Hearts as his favourite team, never mind attend matches :sad:

LOL! Norwich and Hearts are equal in my affections, as I've often explained - and what's remarkable is that an Englishman brought up in North West London should feel so strongly about HMFC, not that I'm a Norwich fan too!

PresidentRomanov
LOL! Norwich and Hearts are equal in my affections, as I've often explained - and what's remarkable is that an Englishman brought up in North West London should feel so strongly about HMFC, not that I'm a Norwich fan too!

It's obvious even from the way you post, you have no idea what being a Hearts supporter is about.

If I was you, I'd stick to the team who plays in green and yellow, they suit you better.

winston churchill
I certainly have!

We won the Scottish Cup, sure - but have also finished 8th. Over the course, they've been more consistent than we have - unless you're going to start arguing with the league table?

yes we finished 8th,i make it our lowest league position in 25 years,and the first time we finished outside the top six.

we have also finished 2nd,and 3rd more than any other club.

back to you.

Terrible Trio
yes we finished 8th,i make it our lowest league position in 25 years,and the first time we finished outside the top six.

back to you.

game set and match to Jerry

Only a Game

Have Aberdeen been the most consistent club SINCE Calderwood took over...............yes probably they have.

Would I want Calderwood as a manager ?

Certainly NOT !!!

Why ?

Because, despite being more consistent than various Hearts managers in the time he has been at Aberdeen he has NEVER even got close to winning anything or challenging the OLD Firm. Something that we, despite our constant disruptions, several managerial changes, low morale, a lunatic owner, HAVE managed to do whilst Calderwood was busy being "consistent"

Who the feck WANTS consistent when its consistently feckin average ?

Give me three crap years and one VERY good one in four any old time.

shaun.lawson
It's obvious even from the way you post, you have no idea what being a Hearts supporter is about.

If I was you, I'd stick to the team who plays in green and yellow, they suit you better.

Actually, a good number of us would say the same about you... :eek:

shaun.lawson

back to you.

Over the four years that Calderwood's been at Aberdeen? 2nd, sure - when did we finish 3rd, pray tell?

Geoff Kilpatrick

There are lies, damned lies and statistics! Shaun's analysis is based on us finishing 8th this season, which changes the dynamic of the analysis, naturally.

What worries me more is that for all of Aberdeen's inability to sign amateurs, they are in FAR better shape than us for the forthcoming season at this time.

shaun.lawson
Have Aberdeen been the most consistent club SINCE Calderwood took over...............yes probably they have.

Certainly NOT !!!

Why ?

Because, despite being more consistent that us he has NEVER even got close to winning anything or challenging the OLD Firm. Something that we, despite our constant disruptions, several managerial changes, low morale, a lunatic owner, HAVE managed to do whilst Calderwood was busy being "consistent"

By the way, I don't want Calderwood as our manager either! But it's pretty naive to slag him off for not challenging the Old Firm. Two questions:

1. How many non-OF clubs living within their natural means have challenged the OF since 1998?

2. What was our budget in 2005/6? What was Aberdeen's?

PresidentRomanov
Actually, a good number of us would say the same about you... :eek:

Good number: you and JamboRobbo :arf:

winston churchill

Certainly NOT !!!

Why ?

Because, despite being more consistent that us he has NEVER even got close to winning anything or challenging the OLD Firm. Something that we, despite our constant disruptions, several managerial changes, low morale, a lunatic owner, HAVE managed to do whilst Calderwood was busy being "consistent"

i still dont see it.

hearts and hibs have both won a cup.

hearts have finished 2nd

hibs-motherwell have finished 3rd

hearts have only finished once outside the top six

shaun.lawson
Good number: you and JamboRobbo :arf:

And many, many more. ;)

Geoff Kilpatrick

By the way Shaun, go and recalibrate your analysis on points won. :)

shaun.lawson
i still dont see it.

hearts and hibs have both won a cup.

hearts have finished 2nd

hibs-motherwell have finished 3rd

hearts have only finished once outside the top six

Aberdeen also finished 3rd, and did better in Europe than any non-OF club since 1989.

But to me, you can only judge these things on league placings - especially given how unimportant the diddy cup is. When JJ and Levein were in charge, we were the undisputed third force, something I was very proud of. I'm afraid we're no longer in that position now: nothing to stop us grabbing it back, but we only have ourselves to blame for what's happened in recent seasons, as you and I know only too well.

Only a Game
By the way, I don't want Calderwood as our manager either! But it's pretty naive to slag him off for not challenging the Old Firm. Two questions:

1. How many non-OF clubs living within their natural means have challenged the OF since 1998?

2. What was our budget in 2005/6? What was Aberdeen's?

1. The easy answer is none. Does that mean it cant be done or shouldnt be attempted ? Why dont you want Calderwood to be our manager. I'd suggest its because he wouldn't be good enough to challenge the Old Firm, even given our budget and resources.

2. Would we have achieved more/or the same/or less in 2005/06 with Calderwood as manager in your opinion.

PS. You need to stop assuming that everyone who doesnt share your opinion is naive.

shaun.lawson
By the way Shaun, go and recalibrate your analysis on points won. :)

Hehehe! I just did, and it's absolutely dead level:

Heart of Midlothian P 152 Pts 50 + 74 + 61 + 48 = 233

Aberdeen P 152 Pts 61 + 54 + 65 + 53 = 233

Which given how well we did in 05/6, says an awful lot for how well they've done in comparison with us over the other three seasons; and remember, because we ended up in the bottom six this year, we played five easier fixtures than them. Yet we're still not ahead!

PresidentRomanov
Aberdeen also finished 3rd, and did better in Europe than any non-OF club since 1989.

But to me, you can only judge these things on league placings - especially given how unimportant the diddy cup is. When JJ and Levein were in charge, we were the undisputed third force, something I was very proud of. I'm afraid we're no longer in that position now: nothing to stop us grabbing it back, but we only have ourselves to blame for what's happened in recent seasons, as you and I know only too well.

You obviously didn't attend many games when Levein was in charge then :rolleyes:

PresidentRomanov

Which given how well we did in 05/6, says an awful lot for how well they've done in comparison with us over the other three seasons; and remember, because we ended up in the bottom six this year, we played five easier fixtures than them. Yet we're still not ahead!

You could also argue, given how badly we did this season, as a comparison, but you wouldn't, would you :rolleyes:

Yet I'm a Rangers fan :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
1. The easy answer is none. Does that mean it cant be done or shouldnt be attempted ? Why dont you want Calderwood to be our manager. I'd suggest its because he wouldn't be good enough to challenge the Old Firm, even given our budget and resources.

2. Would we have achieved more/or the same/or less in 2005/06 with Calderwood as manager in your opinion.

PS. You need to stop assuming that everyone who doesnt share your opinion is naive.

If Calderwood had been in charge for the whole season, then I honestly don't know. Certainly, our results were nothing special after Burley left. I actually haven't a clue whether he could challenge the OF or not with a proper budget; there's no way of knowing, given he's never been given the chance up til now.

I don't want him for much the same reasons as aDONis explained: he'd drive me, and probably everyone else, completely up the wall, even though he'd probably get results. But what I think is totally unreasonable is to criticise him for not having done the impossible - and reminiscent of a post on the Guardian blogs the other day in which Mark Hughes was derided as 'nothing special' because Blackburn hadn't won the EPL or got into the CL under him.

Different budgets make an enormous difference in football now. We all know this, hence my criticism of you, which I nonetheless apologise for. I know I can come across as way too pompous and big for my boots on occasion, and need to work on that.

shaun.lawson
You obviously didn't attend many games when Levein was in charge then :rolleyes:

Oh, you know what I mean! Seasons 02/3 and 03/4 are what I was referring to. Weren't you impressed by the job he did too?

Geoff Kilpatrick

It also shows how bad we were before Vlad took full control. Finishing 11 points behind them in 2004-05 was shocking, and is the primary reason for us being dead level with them. Calderwood hasn't produced any great leap forward for Aberdeen since then, they have been consistently average. We, on the other hand, have been on a roller coaster.

shaun.lawson
It also shows how bad we were before Vlad took full control. Finishing 11 points behind them in 2004-05 was shocking, and is the primary reason for us being dead level with them. Calderwood hasn't produced any great leap forward for Aberdeen since then, they have been consistently average. We, on the other hand, have been on a roller coaster.

I'd say it's more that they've consistently been where mid-ranking non-OF clubs tend to be, ie. where we were under JJ, and where they absolutely weren't for the decade prior to Calderwood's appointment; but fair dos, and I do take your point about 04/5.

PresidentRomanov
Oh, you know what I mean! Seasons 02/3 and 03/4 are what I was referring to. Weren't you impressed by the job he did too?

I was impressed by the amount of scraped 1-0 wins, and that's about it.

There wasn't much else to shout about :sad:

I don't know why this thread got so bitter for a while, but a lot of people made very pertinant points.

Shaun is right, since Tango arrieved, we (Aberdeen) have been the most consistant team.

Only a Game - also has a very valid point, that if the highs are very high, then surely that is better than being best of the rest (and I agree, as I'd love to break out the silver polish)

As for Calderwood and big matches, well we had 7 this season with 5 passes and two fails (but boy what fiascos those fails were).

The passes were;

Dnipro x 2 (I had no expectations at all of us getting past them, they'd previously pumped Hibs and were leading the Ukranian League :eek:, we had a solid draw at home, but the chances of getting a result away from home were slim, but we did it)

2 x home games in Waffa Groups. We had very little hope of getting anything away from home v Panathanikos or Atletico Madrid (and we got begger all). So it was all down to two home games. Lokamotiv were technically head and shoulders above Aberdeen, but they came looking for a draw and got it. Copenbacon just got hammered. I don't know if they underestimated us, or if it was just one of those days when your team plays so well, that they'd have given anyone a game. 4 - 0 didn't even flatter us ;).

1 x Falkirk - we scraped top 6 and needed Killie to do us a favour v Hearts. We got it.

The failures;

1 x Utd - LC Semi Final. Probably worse than the QotS game, we took the lead then proceded to make Uts look like Brazil 1970. They hammered us, 4 - 1 didn't flatter them :mad::mad:

1 x QotS - SC Semi. Simply a shambles at the back. We made all the right noises, but all they had to do was get the ball into our box and it was panic stations. We didn't do the basics and got what we deserved.

So overall, how can I be dissapointed with the Cuprinol one? I don't know, he wins more than he loses (even in important games), but I just always feel that there is another Queens Park, or Utd, or QotS type fiasco, just round the corner.

Am I happy with him.......................... sometimes, and certainly a lot more content than with Alex "that Kent" Miller or Pele "I'm a bit tired and emotional" Patterson.

Could he do better? ......................... Oh fek aye!

Yours

aDONis

Only a Game
............... hence my criticism of you, which I nonetheless apologise for. I know I can come across as way too pompous and big for my boots on occasion, and need to work on that.

Accepted.........no problem.

In fact I shouldnt have said anything as you more than make up for your occasional lack of tact with your analytical insight and your intelligence about the game.

Cheers:)

to be honest the aberdeen fans i know all want him out and i cant see why.

he's solidified them so much (remember the laughing stock under that jakey auld poop patterson). he even broke their hoodoo at tynecastle. think they've beat us 3 times at tynie since he joined, whereas you#d have to go back to 1998 before that i think.

their results at home to rangers are remarkable as well. 1 loss in 3 seasons, 1 draw and the rest wins i think.

given the points i'd say he probably has been the most consistent in terms that since his arrival they've always been round about 3rd and over the course of the season been tough to beat and winning more games than losing or drawing. however, we've (and arguably even the hobos) been the more successful. 2nd and a cup win trumps Calderwood.

the underlying factor is. would he bring us a bottom 6 finish? Not a chance. Would he bring us to splitting the OF. Not a chance. Would he solidify us as the '3rd force'. Personally i think he would. It wouldn't be pretty and we'd have some howlers along the way but we could do it.

If Romanov's stragedy was really long-term i wouldn't be adverse to him coming in for 2 seasons - steadying the ship. he'd do a levein like job but i dont think Craig will be coming back to us anytime soon. After 2 seasons of 3rd we may have a platform to build on.

Oh, and one other question. Is he a fat, odious, orange t0sser? CERTAINLY!

It's hilarious how aDONGis carefully picks his time period so he can choose the Yoofa campaign yet not include the Queens Park debacle, or Aberdeen getting knocked back by an amateur player.

Jimmy Calderwood suits Aberdeen. Both are jokes.

thing is, one-off bomb scare games like that can happen. and they do have a hilarious way of happening at aberdeen. but equally he can seem to win the MUST-WIN games more than us.

This season we were at Killie for a chance to secure top 6 - blown. Last season we had to beat them in order to have a chance at Europe, and in turn hope rangers beat aberdeen. - blown. In both of these corresponding fixtures Aberdeen did what they had to do, disposing of Falkirk and Rangers and went on the path that i felt belonged to us.

Also, Celtic in the cup beating them after a replay at PH is no-mean feat. (i still laugh at them getting horsed the next game hahahahahahah) not to mention hammering a very decent and experienced CL side in Copenhagen in a game both teams had to win. I remember watching that game and thinking it was the best scottish performance in europe for a decade. Far better than any of Rangers backs to walls Yoofa runs, or Celtics lucky football at home.

Calderwood is JUST as capable of winning the must-win games as losing them. In fact he has a good record of winning them. Just when he doesn't, he fails spectacularly.

Completely agree Shook up.

I said that my worry with Calderwood is that you always feel there's a Queens Park, Utd semi or QotS just round the corner.

Us fans are trapped between a man we don't really respect and the knowledge that it could be a shed load worse than we've got at the moment. ;):cool:

Yours

aDONis

This season we were at Killie for a chance to secure top 6 - blown.

Last season we had to beat them in order to have a chance at Europe, and in turn hope rangers beat aberdeen. - blown.

I smell a cod head.

First, securing a top six place is hardly a must win game. :rolleyes:

Second. we sorted your team, sorry the cod heads, out for our Champs League place.

I smell a cod head.

First, securing a top six place is hardly a must win game. :rolleyes:

Second. we sorted your team, sorry the cod heads, out for our Champs League place.

to me it is, when the other side of the coin is bottom six. i'd take mediocre top 6 over total and utter failure any day. im happy with neither but given our season that was a must-win game.

your second point is a true thing. still probably my favourite night at tynie but remember that came in our best season under vlad, its been downhill from there imo.

as for being an aberdeen fan? i'm just stuck up here the last 2 years due to work. anyone who knows me would be laughing out loud at that statement. i hate them more than hibs these days.

70's Throwback
FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT TANGO WEEGIE FAK

Is that honestly the best you could come up with by way of contribution to this thread?

Doesn't show you in very good light if it is! ;)

70's Throwback
Completely agree Shook up.

I said that my worry with Calderwood is that you always feel there's a Queens Park, Utd semi or QotS just round the corner.

Us fans are trapped between a man we don't really respect and the knowledge that it could be a shed load worse than we've got at the moment. ;):cool:

Yours

aDONis

Pretty much spot on, although I'm not sure I would say I disrespect him. Like you, am just baffled by some (far from all) of his decision-making.

70's Throwback
Are there any Dons fans that genuinely like Calderwood?

Yes, I'd be telling lies if I said I disliked him.

Charlie-Brown

Respect his achievements or genuinely positively LIKE him?

I'm very very surprised given the Aberdeen fans' pro-sellik leanings and Jimmy's* love for Rangers FC .

* And the rest of his management team.

Respect his achievements

Other than being the perfect fat oaf, he has no achievements.

PresidentRomanov
Other than being the perfect fat oaf, he has no achievements.

I'd love to hear his achievements :arf:

Charlie-Brown
I'd love to hear his achievements :arf:

Well he turned a bottom 6 team into a top 6 team but that's about it. :P

PresidentRomanov

I suppose doing that at Aberdeen is a bit of an achievement - I stand corrected :)

He also achieved the milestone of getting the offer of a first team contract knocked back by an amateur player.

70's Throwback
I'm very very surprised given the Aberdeen fans' pro-sellik leanings and Jimmy's* love for Rangers FC .

* And the rest of his management team.

Pro-sellik leanings? What you on about???

Just because Aberdeen fans have a strong dislike of Rangers, it certainly doesn't mean they're 'pro-sellik'.

I think you'll find over the years there have been a number of dons legends (none more than Fergie) with Rangers backgrounds.

70's Throwback
I suppose doing that at Aberdeen is a bit of an achievement - I stand corrected :)

Perhaps should refer you to a recent thread comparing Hearts and Aberdeen ;)

70's Throwback
Respect his achievements or genuinely positively LIKE him?

I immediately replied yes, apologies if that wasn't clear enough.

Pro-sellik leanings? What you on about???

1. Your constant chants of "we hate Rangers more than you", glorifying Simpson's horrific tackle on Ian Durrant, and your sick references to the Ibrox disaster.

2. Unveiling a Jock Stein tribute banner during a game at Darkheid.

None of these were called for. All were to ingratiate you with your green and grey hooped heroes.

Archived