Neilson must deliver next season

JamboJohn1874

This is getting like the Hibs fans complaining that they missed O'Connor in the 2006 semi-final - pointless and petty once your club has cashed in on a saleable resource.

There is a wider point in what you say, though, and that is that the club left itself in a sorry mess at the end of the transfer window this year, in the full knowledge that its most important game of the season was imminent. Shipping out King and Gomis and then having to bring on Cowie - who looked as if he hadn't played since 2006 - early on was not clever. Nor was playing the untried Dauda from the start. This is a state of affairs that could and should have been avoided, and it is to be hoped that lessons have been learned for next year, when we will also have a match at the same time in the best competition we can currently realistically hope to win.

So far, so blameless for Robbie. But I really can't be bothered with defences of his second half tactics which pretend that the players disobeyed his instructions for 45 minutes (communication not possible?) and which use injuries and substitutions as an excuse for our stone-age, lump-it-out-of-defence hoofball. Because every time we attacked them - such as in the last three minutes, when we nearly scored three times after the equaliser had finally stung us into action - Hibs looked like conceding. They were quite obviously dreadful in defence and must have been crapping themselves about what might happen in the second half. These excuses fail to take into account the fact that Hibs were also affected by injuries and substitutions during the match.

It turns out that the club's preparation for and approach to the game have been very costly and have had very significant consequences. The whole thing was a mystery at the time, and it remains a mystery.

Oh, and you can't believe people are still dissecting this game? From three months-odd ago? People still complain, rightly, about Locke's inadequacies in the League Cup final, his butchering of a lead against nine-man ICT in the semi the next season, about McGlynn and Csaba's snooze-fest football, about Mad Eddie's madness and so on and so forth. Why do you want a statute of limitations on this game? Could it be because it was the culmination and low point of certain bizarre trends from this season that some people don't really want to discuss or acknowledge?

Probably the best post I've read on here for a long long time!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowmans_Boot

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Do you really believe that? How do you predict we will perform in next season's Europa League, then? Or is it all part of the 5 Year Plan and so we are allowed to fail this one?

As you probably know much will depend on the draw how we progress, if we end up drawing the likes of Man Utd I would expect similar to Spurs and Liverpool, but if we are lucky possibly the Group stage.

To be quite honest mate are you actually a Jambo, I have to ask as most of us PHM are on board with the current regime. They do not just say the right thing they actually do it and go about their business in a very professional way unlike previous regimes.

Edited by ollie2004

Bowmans_Boot

As you probably know much will depend on the draw how we progress, if we end up drawing the likes of Man Utd I would expect similar to Spurs and Liverpool, but if we are lucky possibly the Group stage.

To be quite honest mate are you actually a Jambo, I have to ask as most of us PHM are on board with the current regime. They do not just say the right thing they actually do it and go about their business in a very professional way unlike previous regimes.

I am not a Hearts fan because I don't really believe we are about to become a European force? Really??!!  :P :p 

I think Craig Levein is the most talented player I have ever seen at Tynecastle (including all of the away players), I think he was an excellent manager and he makes a superb DOF.  Robbie I am less keen on, due to his tactics during the season, his inability to motivate his teams for the derbies, his comments after throwing away leads (money being just as important as winning) and his inability to accept any blame. I really hope he succeeds with us, but I am yet to be convinced. 

I am not a Hearts fan because I don't really believe we are about to become a European force? Really??!! :P :p

I think Craig Levein is the most talented player I have ever seen at Tynecastle (including all of the away players), I think he was an excellent manager and he makes a superb DOF. Robbie I am less keen on, due to his tactics during the season, his inability to motivate his teams for the derbies, his comments after throwing away leads (money being just as important as winning) and his inability to accept any blame. I really hope he succeeds with us, but I am yet to be convinced.

Robbie has been a far better manager in his first two seasons than Levein was, that's for definite

I am not a Hearts fan because I don't really believe we are about to become a European force? Really??!!  :P :p 

I think Craig Levein is the most talented player I have ever seen at Tynecastle (including all of the away players), I think he was an excellent manager and he makes a superb DOF.  Robbie I am less keen on, due to his tactics during the season, his inability to motivate his teams for the derbies, his comments after throwing away leads (money being just as important as winning) and his inability to accept any blame. I really hope he succeeds with us, but I am yet to be convinced.

If you are not a Hearts fan why post on here? What interest are Hearts to you? Hearts should be in all Hearts fans blood it is not always about success, we enjoy it when it happens all to infrequently unfortunately.

Bowmans_Boot

If you are not a Hearts fan why post on here? What interest are Hearts to you? Hearts should be in all Hearts fans blood it is not always about success, we enjoy it when it happens all to infrequently unfortunately.

Why do you think I am not a Hearts fan? Genuinely interested.

Why do you think I am not a Hearts fan? Genuinely interested.

Because you said it in your last post!

Bowmans_Boot

Re-read my post. It was a question..... Good God.... 

Pro Tip - stop talking shite.

Have you read Bowmans last post, that is what he said not me!

Re-read my post. It was a question..... Good God....

Who said we would be a European force, I simply made the point that we seem to be moving in the right direction and the management has given us a sound platform to build. You are probably right we will never reach those heights but we can dream. I was in Bordeaux, Braga and Basle and will never forget those trips. They were big nights and I believe there will be others if we continue to buy into the current regime.

Bowmans_Boot

You are bang on the money mate, exactly as I see it. The Vermin are not in our league, quite literally, they are not our competition, we should be aiming higher and I like you believe AB, CL and RB etal are giving us the foundation to not just progress at home but also Europe where the big money is for Scottish clubs.

Who said we would be a European force, I simply made the point that we seem to be moving in the right direction and the management has given us a sound platform to build. You are probably right we will never reach those heights but we can dream. I was in Bordeaux, Braga and Basle and will never forget those trips. They were big nights and I believe there will be others if we continue to buy into the current regime.

You did. I also attended many of the away European ties but am less than confident that we will reach those heights in the future. 

You did. I also attended many of the away European ties but am less than confident that we will reach those heights in the future.

Okay let us simply agree to disagree!

Arthur Morgan

Oh c'mon he wasn't being serious but I think you know that already. As for Hearts reaching the Europa League Group Stages? That is highly unlikely. Yes, we managed it under Levein but the UEFA Cup back then was set up different, it was much easier to reach the group stages. Now, you have to get through the play offs which include vastly superior sides, and the chance of Hearts being seeded for this stage is 0% which means we'll end up facing one of these big sides. It is a decent achievement for us to reach the play off stage, but that is as far as we are likely to get nowadays.

Francis Albert

Oh c'mon he wasn't being serious but I think you know that already. As for Hearts reaching the Europa League Group Stages? That is highly unlikely. Yes, we managed it under Levein but the UEFA Cup back then was set up different, it was much easier to reach the group stages. Now, you have to get through the play offs which include vastly superior sides, and the chance of Hearts being seeded for this stage is 0% which means we'll end up facing one of these big sides. It is a decent achievement for us to reach the play off stage, but that is as far as we are likely to get nowadays.

It's unlikely but "highly unlikely"? Most of the teams we could meet before the group stages are not giants of European football. We drew something of a short straw in drawing Spurs and Liverpool and in the latter case hardly disgraced ourselves.

This is getting like the Hibs fans complaining that they missed O'Connor in the 2006 semi-final - pointless and petty once your club has cashed in on a saleable resource.

There is a wider point in what you say, though, and that is that the club left itself in a sorry mess at the end of the transfer window this year, in the full knowledge that its most important game of the season was imminent. Shipping out King and Gomis and then having to bring on Cowie - who looked as if he hadn't played since 2006 - early on was not clever. Nor was playing the untried Dauda from the start. This is a state of affairs that could and should have been avoided, and it is to be hoped that lessons have been learned for next year, when we will also have a match at the same time in the best competition we can currently realistically hope to win.

So far, so blameless for Robbie. But I really can't be bothered with defences of his second half tactics which pretend that the players disobeyed his instructions for 45 minutes (communication not possible?) and which use injuries and substitutions as an excuse for our stone-age, lump-it-out-of-defence hoofball. Because every time we attacked them - such as in the last three minutes, when we nearly scored three times after the equaliser had finally stung us into action - Hibs looked like conceding. They were quite obviously dreadful in defence and must have been crapping themselves about what might happen in the second half. These excuses fail to take into account the fact that Hibs were also affected by injuries and substitutions during the match.

It turns out that the club's preparation for and approach to the game have been very costly and have had very significant consequences. The whole thing was a mystery at the time, and it remains a mystery.

Oh, and you can't believe people are still dissecting this game? From three months-odd ago? People still complain, rightly, about Locke's inadequacies in the League Cup final, his butchering of a lead against nine-man ICT in the semi the next season, about McGlynn and Csaba's snooze-fest football, about Mad Eddie's madness and so on and so forth. Why do you want a statute of limitations on this game? Could it be because it was the culmination and low point of certain bizarre trends from this season that some people don't really want to discuss or acknowledge?

1233928590_citizen20kane20clapping.gif

Hopefully some of the less insightful and knowledgable posters (at least 99.9% of this board) will read and errrr read again this post. Tremendous stuff. Maybe Neilson should take a read as well as it is spot on and totally reasonable.

Bazzas right boot

Hibs finally winning the cup but staying in the championship has zero impact on our expectations for next season.

This.

If we improve on last year we will be 2nd, continuous improvement is what I'm after, hopefully a final and a cup would be good.

Europa league would be a bonus.

Arthur Morgan

It's unlikely but "highly unlikely"? Most of the teams we could meet before the group stages are not giants of European football. We drew something of a short straw in drawing Spurs and Liverpool and in the latter case hardly disgraced ourselves.

Scottish teams tend not to do well in Europe so there is that as well. Last season, Aberdeen lost to Kairat (who?!). The previous season they met Real Sociedad in the 3rd qualifying round and were put out. I wouldn't fancy our chances tbh. Looking at the teams in the playoffs last season, I wouldn't fancy our chances against nearly all of the seeded sides.

Edited by Joel Miller

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't think the club was expecting to not have Rossi, Ozturk, and Buaben all in the same game.  (I also don't think they expected Pallardo to be as plodding as he was after he came back from injury.)  I also think they expected Dauda to be fitter when he showed up.  So yes, the club f---ed that one up, and surely Neilson had a say in that.  So that's on him.

And fair point about the game not being that long ago -- that was probably a daft comment to lead with on my part.

Gigolo-Aunt

Excellent post.

I don't think the club was expecting to not have Rossi, Ozturk, and Buaben all in the same game.  (I also don't think they expected Pallardo to be as plodding as he was after he came back from injury.)  I also think they expected Dauda to be fitter when he showed up.  So yes, the club f---ed that one up, and surely Neilson had a say in that.  So that's on him.

And fair point about the game not being that long ago -- that was probably a daft comment to lead with on my part.

Yes, Robbie was responsible for cocking up his selection and tactics in both Hibs games - not that you will ever hear him admit it.

And frankly that is what annoys many Hearts fans.

THIS is the Post of the Year!

Absolutely nailed it mate!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

THIS is the Post of the Year!

Absolutely nailed it mate!

Aye for the uneducated

Lord Beni of Gorgie

YAWN :sleeping2:

Totally agree most boring topic whilst being potentially regressive

Totally agree most boring topic whilst being potentially regressive

in your 'uneducated' opinion.....

Lord Beni of Gorgie

in your 'uneducated' opinion.....

IQ never been a problem for me Thomaso :)

I also on occasion can admit when I'm wrong, and I don't need to create dozens of threads to desperately try and prove a point. I think we all know where we stand on the Neilson debate

IQ never been a problem for me Thomaso :)

I also on occasion can admit when I'm wrong, and I don't need to create dozens of threads to desperately try and prove a point. I think we all know where we stand on the Neilson debate

Always thought of you as smarter than the average JKB'r    :scholar:

Not sure who the "need to create dozens of threads" was aimed at?  If me, I create relatively few IMO.  

Yes, we know where you stand on the Neilson debate - you regularly remind us of it.

Really good post, totally agree

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Always thought of you as smarter than the average JKB'r    :scholar:

Not sure who the "need to create dozens of threads" was aimed at?  If me, I create relatively few IMO.  

Yes, we know where you stand on the Neilson debate - you regularly remind us of it.

Only because there are endless threads :lol:

I don't think we need to be encouraging certain people. If the football doesn't improve next season, I may cross camps, but for now at least, objectives have been reached and the platform is now there for improvement. I personally don't see any value of anyone trolling back over last seasons low spots. Moving  in an upward curve still so I can live with it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Quality post.

Our January transfer window was shite - as evidence by the fact that King and Gomis are now 'big parts of the plan' again and being deemed surplus five months ago.

Is it not time to put that Cup game to bed?  Jeez imagine if we had lost THE cup game.   

Aye for the uneducated

What leginten says in his post is absolutely bang on and the only uneducated person on here is yourself if you do not agree with it.

There is nothing wrong with discussing why we not only failed but failed miserably in our biggest match of the season. We lost and Hibs went on to win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years. Pretty major talking points to be fair.

We finished 3rd in the league so Neilson deserves his chance again next season but he is going to be under the microscope. I really hope he can take us forward next season and learn from his mistakes but I do have my doubts.

OmiyaHearts

I'm not that excited about the upcoming campaign but will see who we sign and maybe will get me a bit more up for it.

I'm happy we don't have Hibs in the same league as I don't think I could handle struggling against them 4 times in a season.

It would be great to see a settled formation and line up for even just a few matches. It's also concerning that Robbie couldn't work out our best eleven over a season.

Is it not time to put that Cup game to bed?  Jeez imagine if we had lost THE cup game.   

If Hibs had lost the final then it probably could be tucked up in bed  - the fact that they won it, and are currently lording over Edinburgh, has ensured that our pitiful failure to hold on to a 2-0 lead remains painful in the memory of Hearts fans. 

davemclaren

Quality post.

Our January transfer window was shite - as evidence by the fact that King and Gomis are now 'big parts of the plan' again and being deemed surplus five months ago.

Can't see either of them being major parts if Robbies plans.

Only because there are endless threads :lol:

I don't think we need to be encouraging certain people. If the football doesn't improve next season, I may cross camps, but for now at least, objectives have been reached and the platform is now there for improvement. I personally don't see any value of anyone trolling back over last seasons low spots. Moving  in an upward curve still so I can live with it.

It's a fans forum so all sorts of topics are going to continue to be debated.

Many (sensible) Hearts fans are less that pleased with various aspects of Neilson's style, tactics and managements.  I appreciate that this may make for un-comfortable reading for some like yourself. 

Can't see either of them being major parts if Robbies plans.

Not what Robbie was suggesting.

He's not going to come out and say that players under contract don't have a future when both could be used as a bargaining tool or command a fee however small.

They might be needed for the first few weeks until new players are in and settled then they could be let go.

It's a harsh business but that's how football is. We need their heads in the game right now. After that who knows.

Edited by Bauld

davemclaren

To the press. He's not going to say otherwise as he needs to man manage them should they still be at Hearts.

What leginten says in his post is absolutely bang on and the only uneducated person on here is yourself if you do not agree with it.

There is nothing wrong with discussing why we not only failed but failed miserably in our biggest match of the season. We lost and Hibs went on to win the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years. Pretty major talking points to be fair.

We finished 3rd in the league so Neilson deserves his chance again next season but he is going to be under the microscope. I really hope he can take us forward next season and learn from his mistakes but I do have my doubts.

Robbie could improve his coaching skills by reading this quote.

?Gordon is always one for concentrating on ourselves. We?ve got to be aware of what other sides are doing but we have to try and implement certain things. As long as we keep learning.

This is Stuart McCall talking about Strachan.

He's not going to come out and say that players under contract don't have a future when both could be used as a bargaining tool or command a fee however small.

They might be needed for the first few weeks until new players are in and settled then they could be let go.

It's a harsh business but that's how football is. We need their heads in the game right now. After that who knows.

Smooth operator that Neilson eh.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's a fans forum so all sorts of topics are going to continue to be debated.

Many (sensible) Hearts fans are less that pleased with various aspects of Neilson's style, tactics and managements. I appreciate that this may make for un-comfortable reading for some like yourself.

Uncomfortable. No or even why? I don't understand why it is being flogged when clearly the vast majority are reasonably satisfied.

As I have constantly stated next season is far more interesting in the evolution. People should accept last season was building the bridge. If folk aren't happy with that maybe we aren't the right team to follow because we didn't have the squad to do much else

Uncomfortable. No or even why? I don't understand why it is being flogged when clearly the vast majority are reasonably satisfied.

As I have constantly stated next season is far more interesting in the evolution. People should accept last season was building the bridge. If folk aren't happy with that maybe we aren't the right team to follow because we didn't have the squad to do much else

Are they? Looks like about 50-50 on here.

With the greatest respect, I've followed Hearts for over 45 years, so I'm not going to stop just because you have a different opinion on how the team and our management team performed last season.

To the press. He's not going to say otherwise as he needs to man manage them should they still be at Hearts.

In the same way as he man managed the players he told were leaving and then continued to pick them...

loveofthegame

Why should it be immediately put to bed - it was our biggest game(s) of the season and effectively ended our season, a season that only finished a fortnight ago but culminated in Hibs ending 114 year drought.

It is going to take a long time to be that one to bed.

Craig Herbertson

Division of Robbie critics

1. Jealous Hibs fans
  2. Fans who are always grumpy or disgruntled because they got elbowed for being naughty
  3. People knowledgeable about football who see some possible weaknesses in the team tactics
  4. Fans who are happy to have a club to support
  5. Fans who are happy to have a club to support and have spotted that we are now a development club

1.  Jealous Hibs fans ? their opinion doesn?t count
  2. Fans who are always grumpy or disgruntled because they got elbowed for being naughty - their opinion doesn?t count. For the latter, wise up, approach the club, apologize and try and get back on board
  3. People knowledgeable about football who see some possible weaknesses in the team tactics -Their opinion counts but they should bear in mind that Robbie is learning his trade and be less aggressive in their criticism because it doesn?t help anyone
  4. Fans who are happy to have a club to support ? Stay happy folks. We are the glorious Heart of Midlothian
  5. Fans who are happy to have a club to support and have spotted that we are now a development club - This means constant efforts to improve all aspects of the Club on and off the field. We have a management team which I would never have dreamed of in a lifetime of supporting Hearts. Robbie is the cutting edge of the team on the pitch. Despite being young and inexperienced he waltzed us through a very difficult league in record breaking style, he proceeded to gain us third place in the SPFL in his second year of management and we are in Europe. The season fell off perhaps because of our limited pool and some shocking referee decision, like Collum at Hamilton away which lost us three points. Overall this might have cost us a good crack at second place. Robbie is learning all the time. That?s because we are now working on a five year plan and the club is continually and progressively developing - that includes the young manager who has worked all hours to get where we are.  Knowledgeable criticism of tactics is fine but bear in mind that you have no idea of the state of mind of some of the players, injuries, knocks,how they showed in training, how well the other team picked up their game. Criticise on footballing terms by all means, but the rest of it is completely unhelpful. You could well do with looking closely at how other managers in the leagues did with their larger budgets and more settled sides.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Are they? Looks like about 50-50 on here.

With the greatest respect, I've followed Hearts for over 45 years, so I'm not going to stop just because you have a different opinion on how the team and our management team performed last season.

Silent majority empty vessels make most noise etc.

The poll results seemed to be emphatic. I still wait with interest to hear of better solutions but all I read is the same empty criticism based largely on a style of play that has been hugely important and profitable towards the growth of the club.

I am neither underwhelmed nor overwhelmed. But I am realistic and patient.

Division of Robbie critics

1. Jealous Hibs fans
  2. Fans who are always grumpy or disgruntled because they got elbowed for being naughty
  3. People knowledgeable about football who see some possible weaknesses in the team tactics
  4. Fans who are happy to have a club to support
  5. Fans who are happy to have a club to support and have spotted that we are now a development club

1.  Jealous Hibs fans ? their opinion doesn?t count
  2. Fans who are always grumpy or disgruntled because they got elbowed for being naughty - their opinion doesn?t count. For the latter, wise up, approach the club, apologize and try and get back on board
  3. People knowledgeable about football who see some possible weaknesses in the team tactics -Their opinion counts but they should bear in mind that Robbie is learning his trade and be less aggressive in their criticism because it doesn?t help anyone
  4. Fans who are happy to have a club to support ? Stay happy folks. We are the glorious Heart of Midlothian
  5. Fans who are happy to have a club to support and have spotted that we are now a development club - This means constant efforts to improve all aspects of the Club on and off the field. We have a management team which I would never have dreamed of in a lifetime of supporting Hearts. Robbie is the cutting edge of the team on the pitch. Despite being young and inexperienced he waltzed us through a very difficult league in record breaking style, he proceeded to gain us third place in the SPFL in his second year of management and we are in Europe. The season fell off perhaps because of our limited pool and some shocking referee decision, like Collum at Hamilton away which lost us three points. Overall this might have cost us a good crack at second place. Robbie is learning all the time. That?s because we are now working on a five year plan and the club is continually and progressively developing - that includes the young manager who has worked all hours to get where we are.  Knowledgeable criticism of tactics is fine but bear in mind that you have no idea of the state of mind of some of the players, injuries, knocks,how they showed in training, how well the other team picked up their game. Criticise on footballing terms by all means, but the rest of it is completely unhelpful. You could well do with looking closely at how other managers in the leagues did with their larger budgets and more settled sides.

Stick me in category 3 and 4 thanks.

I don't necessarily agree with all your other comments though.

Silent majority empty vessels make most noise etc.

The poll results seemed to be emphatic. I still wait with interest to hear of better solutions but all I read is the same empty criticism based largely on a style of play that has been hugely important and profitable towards the growth of the club.

I am neither underwhelmed nor overwhelmed. But I am realistic and patient.

Ah patience is indeed a virtue.  :thumbsup: