Neilson must deliver next season

JamboJohn1874

Surely every Hearts Manager "must deliver" every season?

I guess so. And Neilson has more than delivered in his first two seasons.

Edited by ecjambo

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowmans_Boot

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Deliver what, exactly?

Premier League Title? Europa League title? Pizzas?

Robbie's already delivered one (record points scoring) league win and a European slot. 

A better run in the cups and a top three league finish will do nicely.

Deliver what, exactly?

Robbie's already delivered one (record points scoring) league win and a European slot. 

Deliver football that doesn't make yer eyes bleed for a start....... :stunned:

Without a doubt, he has to be given a chance to finish what he has started.  I am however half in the Phoodle camp after Saturday tho. Want to be right back in the Robbie camp asap.

Hibs winning the Scottish Cup hasn't altered my expectations for next season at all. I'm with Cade - top three and better in the cups will be progress.

Deliver football that doesn't make yer eyes bleed for a start....... :stunned:

Football's a results-led business.

You get nothing for style.

What's with this fashion for demanding Hibs-esque flair fitba at Tynecastle?

This is something that has puzzled me lately as well, I have followed Hearts for 49 years and can't remember an outcry of we must produce better football(and I have seen some poor teams), infact I have heard Hibs fans ridiculed for the same thing.

I would love it if we played free flowing, high scoring, winning football but will happily settle for regular winning football, that for me is whats important.

Thanks for your input Mr Levein......

Silvery_Moon

I can't speak for others but I am not like looking for the mythical Hibs flair from Hearts.

I am looking for a Hearts style of football though. A Passionate and aggressive style that has served us so well over the years, particularly in the big games. That style of football has largely been abandoned but we did see it in the Aberdeen cup game.

This is something that has puzzled me lately as well, I have followed Hearts for 49 years and can't remember an outcry of we must produce better football(and I have seen some poor teams), infact I have heard Hibs fans ridiculed for the same thing.

I would love it if we played free flowing, high scoring, winning football but will happily settle for regular winning football, that for me is whats important.

49 years?  51 years for me.

"regular winning football" - yup I can settle for that, not the eye bleeding industrial negative stuff we have seen last season......

Edited by Thomaso

buffalo man87

Top 2 and a cup final? What sauce are you drinking? Another "Robbie out" member I see. Give me a break. His 2nd season passed and he got us into Europe and a comfy 3rd place. With Aberdeen looking to add to an already decent squad and Rangers back, I will happily take 3rd again. Settle down eh.

I can't speak for others but I am not like looking for the mythical Hibs flair from Hearts.

I am looking for a Hearts style of football though. A Passionate and aggressive style that has served us so well over the years, particularly in the big games. That style of football has largely been abandoned but we did see it in the Aberdeen cup game.

EXACTLY!!!!

:spoton:

I get that football is a results-driven business, but wanting your team to do it in a certain style isn't too much to ask, surely?

For the second half of last season we hoofed the ball from back to front, completely missing out the area of our team that I think is strongest.

FWIW, I think a direct style of play is the best way to play football, but there is being direct, and then there's aimless punts. 

Before we lost Sow, we were very exciting to watch, we played quick, direct passing with players constantly on the move. we very rarely hoofed it. 

Now that is football !!!

As well as the hoofball, we have also become a very tippy-tappy team in the middle of the park. We don't pass the ball with a purpose and generally we end up going backwards, which then results in Ozturk leathering the ball out of play with those big diagonal hoofs of his.

As I said in an earlier post, we MUST get the recruitment right this summer. We are seriously lacking pace and natural width, something that we have always been pretty well-known as having.

In Djoum - Kitchen and Walker, we potentially have a great central midfield, we just need to add some natural wide players to that. Nicholson, for me, isn't the answer because he constantly wants to cut inside with the ball. Guys like McGinn and Hayes at Aberdeen, they are the type of players we are crying out for.

I get that football is a results-driven business, but wanting your team to do it in a certain style isn't too much to ask, surely?

For the second half of last season we hoofed the ball from back to front, completely missing out the area of our team that I think is strongest.

FWIW, I think a direct style of play is the best way to play football, but there is being direct, and then there's aimless punts. 

Before we lost Sow, we were very exciting to watch, we played quick, direct passing with players constantly on the move. we very rarely hoofed it. 

Now that is football !!!

As well as the hoofball, we have also become a very tippy-tappy team in the middle of the park. We don't pass the ball with a purpose and generally we end up going backwards, which then results in Ozturk leathering the ball out of play with those big diagonal hoofs of his.

As I said in an earlier post, we MUST get the recruitment right this summer. We are seriously lacking pace and natural width, something that we have always been pretty well-known as having.

In Djoum - Kitchen and Walker, we potentially have a great central midfield, we just need to add some natural wide players to that. Nicholson, for me, isn't the answer because he constantly wants to cut inside with the ball. Guys like McGinn and Hayes at Aberdeen, they are the type of players we are crying out for.

Another one who gets it!     :fonzie:

Now that is football !!!

Great post, spot on. The fans that actually watch Hearts most weeks know that this is true.

Great post, spot on. The fans that actually watch Hearts most weeks know that this is true.

Correct Mort!

Deliver what, exactly?

Deliver Mr Leveins tea in a more timely manner for a start.

JamboJohn1874

I guess so. And Neilson has more than delivered in his first two seasons.

All Neilson delivered last season was anti-football, especially away.

FarmerTweedy

I love how you're not allowed to criticize RN on here.

Fact is he is a major reason the vermin won yesterday with his awful tactics and tinkering.

Any feel good factor at the club is now destroyed and they better realize this and make amends quick sharp.

:cornette::facepalm:

What a load of shite!

FarmerTweedy

It does have some substance, though. Our claims of this being such a wonderful, fantastic, amazing season are somewhat scuppered by Hibs winning the Cup, there cant really be much doubt about that.

Also, for fans who live in Edinburgh, having bragging rights over your rivals is important - Hibs have all of these at present.

I must have missed them getting promoted and us getting relegated at the end of the season!

Spellczech

We have an hardcore support of 11,000 who will support the team and the club no matter how bad the football and results. On top of that we currently have 3000 fair weather fans and 4000 glory hunters. The first bunch reserve tge right to moan but will turn up anyway. The others are more demanding and will stop coming if there is no entertainment or winning...

@VladMagic

All Neilson delivered last season was anti-football, especially away.

"anti football"? Where have I heard that particular phrase used with regularity? It will come to me.

Surely every Hearts Manager "must deliver" every season?

What is the measurement criteria of "deliver"?

This thread is all over the place.

He's delivered a trophy and Europe in two seasons. So what is he too deliver next year??

Some demand silverware others a better brand of football some both. It's often the case those two don't go hand in hand. Lots of teams play nice football with very little success.

I understand the frustrations the latter part of the season was dull and soulless but perhaps that's told Neilson a lot more about certain players than the previous months while we were securing 3rd place.

The team is still in transition and every season (all 2 of them) he has built a team/squad to achieve certain targets. Promotion and Europe.

So next season we should see again a core of players good enough to achieve 3rd supplemented by new players capable of better than 3rd this appears to be the plan.

I'm certain the board and management want to win silverware and perhaps we'll see more focus on these games this season.

Again though I'm not sure all people are demanding the same. If the football's good but we get beat more often than not...does he stay. If he stays with his style and wins trophies will that still not be good enough.

Football is littered with teams who's fans demanded change and are looking back now and wishing they hadn't been so hasty!

davemclaren

All Robbie needs to deliver is what the board want him to deliver. I can't see him getting emptied due to a group of fans wanting more than that.

Seymour M Hersh

Is he learning though? There has been evidence this season of him making the same mistakes time and time again.

Lost the first two games against your avatar and won the last three. That surely shows some indications he and the team were learning as the season wore on.

Fenerjambo

Nielson has had how many chances to learn from his mistakes but makes them time and time again.His tactics are static and our opponents easily pick us off easily. He isn't much of a motivator either as the last few months of the season were awful. Definitely needs a good start or there'll be more fans getting restless with him.

Michael_Jackson

Deliver what, exactly?

If Robbie personally delivers me a pizza I'll forgive him for letting hibs when the cup.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Nielson has had how many chances to learn from his mistakes but makes them time and time again.His tactics are static and our opponents easily pick us off easily. He isn't much of a motivator either as the last few months of the season were awful. Definitely needs a good start or there'll be more fans getting restless with him.

Nielson :rofl:

bang on. :thumbsup:

Fenerjambo

Nielson :rofl:

You'd laugh at eggs boiling. An I and E mixed around and you post that. Another of the easy pleased brigade or I'll have a pint of what you're on.

You'd laugh at eggs boiling. An I and E mixed around and you post that. Another of the easy pleased brigade or I'll have a pint of what you're on.

Eggs boiling or not - you have been spelling his name wrong for many weeks now.

:rofl:

Malinga the Swinga

Hibs are in trouble so what do usual suspects do, they start another thread to deflect onto Robbie. It is so predictable that the same posters produce the same crap, yet nothing changes. Why do they bother.

I before E except after C has a lot to answer for, possibly.

Seriously, though, I'm optimistic for next season. That's based on absolutely nothing of substance.

500ClubCraig

As I can't be bothered reading another's negative thread about our young Manager who has delivered more than most would have dreamed for two years ago, can someone tell me if all these "Console Football Managing" geniuses have come up with a list of Hot Prospects to replace him with?

Perhaps they think we could talk Sir Alex out of retirement!

Every manager at every club must deliver to some degree every season. Is it a bigger year next year at Hearts than other clubs? To an extent with Sevco being in the league however Hibs are still down so unless we meet them in a cup Neilson doesn't have to deliver in that regard. The same league form and an improvement in the cups will be good enough for most Hearts fans.

I before E except after C has a lot to answer for, possibly.

Seriously, though, I'm optimistic for next season. That's based on absolutely nothing of substance.

Same just a gut feeling for me, feeling something special coming on for some reason.

Same just a gut feeling for me, feeling something special coming on for some reason.

You sure you're not just playing with yourself?

siegementality

id take second in the league, group stage of Europa league, runner -up in both cups rather than a solitary cup win. Careful what you ask for.

The most idiotic post ever to appear on JKB, bar none.

siegementality

All Robbie needs to deliver is what the board want him to deliver. I can't see him getting emptied due to a group of fans wanting more than that.

Depends how big that group gets. I'd suggest the board - particularly AB - knows exactly what is required to keep the fans on board. Be honest, there is no way we will fill the stadium when the new stand is built if we have to watch the crap that has been on display of late.

Watt-Zeefuik

Now that is football !!!

This is what gets me -- not aiming at you, but we play fantastic football for a season and a half under Neilson, then lose Sow, lose Walker for a while, and get injury struck on our back line, the football declines, and this means Neilson is the problem?

The exact same set of facts indicates to me that our personnel got disrupted and it meant we lost our form and never quite recovered.

So yes, recruitment this summer is vital.  We've whiffed on strikers several times now -- Juanma is the only routine goal scorer, and he still apparently hasn't learned what an offside trap looks like.  If we get a striker with Sow's pace and verve, add another attacking player to complement Walker, find a bit of width, and somehow get a left back who can play defence, we're back in business.

Arthur Morgan

Same here. I have a feeling we'll do really well next season.

Edited by Joel Miller

Joe Hearts

Depends how big that group gets. I'd suggest the board - particularly AB - knows exactly what is required to keep the fans on board. Be honest, there is no way we will fill the stadium when the new stand is built if we have to watch the crap that has been on display of late.

This is 100% it.

Where does our fans' sense of entitlement come from? We nearly went bust, won the Championship by miles and then came 3rd in our first season back up. Neilson literally couldn't have done much better.

The idiots who care about Hibs winning the Cup more than Hearts need to take a look at themselves.

When he took over there were two stated principles to his approach. First, a high-tempo pressing game. Second, a controlled passing game. The first principle only appears now and then and that is what all teams can do. It is okay to be 'up' for a cup game as was the case against Aberdeen but a team playing a high-tempo pressing game has to be doing it every week. The passing game increasingly disappeared in favour of hitting long balls. I'm prepared to give him next season as he has earned that but I do want to see some return to what Robbie said were his footballing principles. Hopefully this summer will see an improvement in the overall quality of the squad. 

I'm a bit fed up with this "Neilson is learning" stuff......When does he stop learning and become the finished article 2017, 18, 19? When he leave Hearts which he will do one day will his new employer say "We have got a manager with a proven record who is however learning his trade!" The problems with Neilson are well noted and observed when it comes to the "big" games.  Poor tactics leading to abject failure. No hands up saying "it was my fault today!" IMO Robbie doesn't have it, and I doubt he ever will. Time will tell.

Edited by Hashimoto

Jambof3tornado

I'd love for us to win at least 14 of our home games in the coming season and go at teams a bit more than we did this season while we are away from home.

I suppose top 4 will be the target set by the board, maybe a cup semi. Anything else will be seen as a bonus.

If Kitchen and Djoum are the standard of players we hope to bring in then I'd love for us to finish 2nd, letting sevco and the sheep fight it out for 3rd!!

I'd also like a more settled development squad assembled over the next 2 to 3 seasons.

No doubt another rollercoaster of a season ahead.

Cant fekkin wait.

Oh and I predict a wee trip to Wales is on the cards europa league wise!!