Neilson must deliver next season

JamboJohn1874

alwaysthereinspirit

I renewed my season - doesn't mean I'm content!

Are you content? What do you consider as having "delivered"

If he doesn't "deliver" and we get rid off, how long does the new manager have till he "delivers" before being let go?

We could have a lot of new managers every 3 years at this rate.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowmans_Boot

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

I renewed my season - doesn't mean I'm content!

Aye, people forget a lot of fans follow their team through thick and thin no matter who the manager is.

Are you content? What do you consider as having "delivered"

If he doesn't "deliver" and we get rid off, how long does the new manager have till he "delivers" before being let go?

We could have a lot of new managers every 3 years at this rate.

No, I'm not content. I think Robbie has lots of potential, but does not seem to have learned from his errors.

I think he is usually behind the times with his tactics, but does not seem to be minded to change.

I understand defending a lead, but when your team can't do it efficiently, you maybe need to rethink.

I think some of his team selections have been poor.

He does not seem to be able to control the team discipline issues.

He has said that the team don't do what he tells them at times. (So sort it!)

As far as I am concerned he will have delivered if he improves in these areas. We may not end up as high as third, but I didn't expect that this year!

In modern football, managers don't get long periods in which to deliver. Why should we be different? I'm giving the benefit of the doubt as I see this as the end of year 1. (The previous year was a different beast.).

Yes "We could have a lot of new managers every 3 years at this rate." - have you seen our past record?

Sorry if this seems reasonable, I'm neither prepared to hire a plane nor kiss the ground he walks on. Time will tell....

Dusk_Till_Dawn

No, I'm not content. I think Robbie has lots of potential, but does not seem to have learned from his errors.

I think he is usually behind the times with his tactics, but does not seem to be minded to change.

I understand defending a lead, but when your team can't do it efficiently, you maybe need to rethink.

As far as I am concerned he will have delivered if he improves in these areas. We may not end up as high as third, but I didn't expect that this year!

In modern football, managers don't get long periods in which to deliver. Why should we be different? I'm giving the benefit of the doubt as I see this as the end of year 1. (The previous year was a different beast.).

Yes "We could have a lot of new managers every 3 years at this rate." - have you seen our past record?

Sorry if this seems reasonable, I'm neither prepared to hire a plane nor kiss the ground he walks on. Time will tell....

I'm hoping that the end of season two gives him a chance to take stock and think about what he can change. Maybe he was content with finishing third and that showed in his approach? It's not a bad finish after all. But we need to play better football next season - and we need to do better in the cups.

Watt-Zeefuik

Genuine question -- how is he behind the times?  I feel as if most of the criticisms of tactics on here is of the FOAR FOAR TOO variety and of changing the formation too often.  "Get intae them" is the call on match threads, and that isn't exactly a new and modern tactic.

I find myself agreeing (to an extent) with the criticism that he perhaps tinkers too much with the lineup, but I would call tha getting caught up in tactical fads more than being behind the times. 

Edited by Ugly American

Genuine question -- how is he behind the times?  I feel as if most of the criticisms of tactics on here is of the FOAR FOAR TOO variety and of changing the formation too often.  "Get intae them" is the call on match threads, and that isn't exactly a new and modern tactic.

I find myself agreeing (to an extent) with the criticism that he perhaps tinkers too much with the lineup, but I would call tha getting caught up in tactical fads more than being behind the times. 

Most ood madern teams try to win the ball back as soon as they lose it, rather than falling back to defend. "Pressing up" Because if you win it it their half you immediately have then at a disadvantage. Robbie has done that successfully a couple of times, but then resorts to dropping back

Watt-Zeefuik

Most ood madern teams try to win the ball back as soon as they lose it, rather than falling back to defend. "Pressing up" Because if you win it it their half you immediately have then at a disadvantage. Robbie has done that successfully a couple of times, but then resorts to dropping back

Thanks, that's a fair point.

We are in a new league and the first time RN has been at this level.  He needs time and so does his team.  At the end of the Championship season who would have predicted that the team was going to be virtually dismantled? The team is new and now have a year of top flight football under their belt, that can only improve them.  

You do ask some good questions, I have thought about most of them (mainly thanks to JamboJohns constant criticism of RN)

"does not seem to have learned from his errors"

First game v Aberdeen 0-3. Next 4 games against them tactics completely different and (barring a daft hand ball)relatively successful! 

"behind the times with his tactics, but does not seem to be minded to change"

- Behind the times suggests he sticks with an outdated system. 2014/15 he played the majority of the season with 4-2-3-1. Last season he played a combination of 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 and 3-5-2.  The most people I have spoken to complain that he does not stick to a settled formation. Really not understanding your "doesn't seem minded to change" comment.

"I understand defending a lead, but when your team can't do it efficiently, you maybe need to rethink."

- How do you find out if your team is good enough to defend a lead? I suggest that during training the team have displayed their competence at it so the manager gives the instruction to 'manage the game' when we are in front.  The team are the ones that should take the majority of flak for not preforming. A young, and relatively new defence will take time to gel and perform to an acceptable level but they have to learn during games. 

"I think some of his team selections have been poor."

- On a few occasions I agree but I think our final league position confirms that RN has got the vast majority of team selections correct. There are a couple of players that may be underperforming aka Oshaniwa and Nicholson, but I don't think January was particularly kind to us in those positions.  You could argue about letting King go west but I believe that was more to do with an unsettled player (& agent) rather than the managements fault.

"He does not seem to be able to control the team discipline issues."

- Our discipline has been poor for over 10 years now, it seems that there is a fundamental issue within the Club and this needs to improve but I would suggest that the Club hierarchy need to address it more than RN.

"He has said that the team don't do what he tells them at times. (So sort it!)"

- I would say that this is the same point as the team not defending a lead, again a relatively new and young team will take time to gel.  Look at Aberdeen, its taken them 3 seasons to get to where they are now, they are excellent (in the main) at game management.  I fully believe that RN will improve them in 'game management'. 

All in all, I get why you and others are frustrated with last season but its not easy building a competitive team that also plays sparking football.  

What I will be looking for from next season will be a top 4 finish, an improvement in away form, an improvement with first team discipline.  A cup run will be a bonus, its about time we sorted out our wee cup record  :tiny: 

Robbie has done well in his first two seasons, Champions by a country mile in the Championship that all thought was not likely, then third in Premiership and Europa Cup qualification guaranteed with the split to come. If he is judged on results that is a success IMO, if on how we play then take a long hard look at our"friends" from Lochend! Flair does not guarantee success! What do you prefer? Looking forward to our next European adventure, just hope it does not lead to England again!

The level of crap on here is incredible.

No manager ever stops learning. It is a job where you learn new things daily.

But let's put robbie aside for now.

Nobody from Levein to Robbie to the fans and critics knew at the start of this season if any of our players would be a success in this league. Even those with previous experience like Paterson had plenty to prove that he had improved as a right back because his last stint in this league saw him play as a striker and when at right back he wasn't great on the defensive side.

As it transpired Gomis, Pallardo, Augustyn, Juwon, Juanma, Nicholson, Reilly and King all failed to give a solid season. As did Walker due to injury.

Sow was sold in January.

El Hass didn't play at all.

Ozturk, Buaben and Rossi struggled at various times with injury among others.

I honestly don't know what more people wanted from this season. Nobody on this earth knew where we would be at the start. They were hopeful but the start we made to the season overhyped our ability. Most teams who are promoted make a good start because they are riding the promotion wave.

Even I have to confess to being surprised at just how different this league is though. The fitness levels are much higher as is the organisation. Teams are much harder to break down and most of them don't allow for decent free flowing football, they sit back with a wall of 4-5 and 2 holding midfielders and look for counter attacks. They work hard to spoil a game against better sides trying to force errors which makes a game look ugly.

I don't think the players were good enough to play good football against these teams. Good football requires everyone to be able to play at that level, if one player can't hit the standard required the move falls apart and looks shit. I think we had 3-4 of those players that couldn't hit that level.

The ones who could hit that level didnt have enough options around them to make it happen. There is also a strong arguement to suggest the majority of those who were capable didn't arrive until late in the season. Djoum, Kitchen, Cowie and Walker (long injury lay off) are all capable but came in too late to gel and make a big difference.

Next season will be the bench mark for moving forward. Robbie will know what players are capable of at this level. The players will know now from experience what is required at this level. The new recruits will now get a pre season under the belt and will be well gelled into the squad. Hopefully the new recruits take us up a level as well.

Long winded I know but that is the extent of the variables to the season just ended. With so many unknowns it just isn't fair to lay so much criticism at the door of a manager who has brought us right back up and into Europe at the first time of asking.

Best post on here for yonkers.

This is Neilson's Budgement season for me.

That's cool though.

He doesn't have to deliver anything though, other than improvement on last season. We haven't peaked yet under the current set up but progress needs to continue season on season.

Having achieved Europe this season that has to be the minimum target for next season. This means top 3 or Scottish cup win.

davemclaren

This is Neilson's Budgement season for me.

That's cool though.

He doesn't have to deliver anything though, other than improvement on last season. We haven't peaked yet under the current set up but progress needs to continue season on season.

Having achieved Europe this season that has to be the minimum target for next season. This means top 3 or Scottish cup win.

Scottish cup runner up maybe as well.

• 5 years later...