Neilson must deliver next season

JamboJohn1874

Craig Herbertson

Stick me in category 3 and 4 thanks.

I don't necessarily agree with all your other comments though.

Fair enough. It's all about opinions.

These are facts - Despite being young and inexperienced Robbie waltzed us through a very difficult league in record breaking style, he proceeded to gain us third place in the SPFL in his second year of management and we are in Europe.  I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start of the season.

I have no problem with people picking up on footballing points and I know a lot of people think we might have done better. There were a few times when it didn't go as hoped for various reasons. But for me getting higher than we did was more of an extravagant hope than a realistic expectation.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowmans_Boot

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

loveofthegame

Fair enough. It's all about opinions.

These are facts - Despite being young and inexperienced Robbie waltzed us through a very difficult league in record breaking style, he proceeded to gain us third place in the SPFL in his second year of management and we are in Europe.  I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start of the season.

I have no problem with people picking up on footballing points and I know a lot of people think we might have done better. There were a few times when it didn't go as hoped for various reasons. But for me getting higher than we did was more of an extravagant hope than a realistic expectation.

Good points. Next season Robbie's job will be tougher just by the weight of expectation.

Year 1 folk hoped to compete with Rangers. Robbie's mandate was promotion within 2 years. We won league.

Year 2 most folk just hoped we'd make top 6. Robbie's mandate was top 6. Others like me were more ambitious when saw how shite league was and wanted at least top 3. We did finished 3rd, meeting my and many others expectations (albeit the way we did it was fairly lacklustre and dull, but that is another argument) and surpassing the target he was set by the club.

Year 3 - folk will be expecting at the very least top 4. Very least. No comfort blanket of the club setting "top 6" as his target. Many are peeved that 4 fairly diddy clubs Hibs, St Johnstone, ICT and Ross County have won trophies in the last few years. Throw in Aberdeen to that mix too. Fans are craving success as they always do.

Next year will be by far Robbie's biggest test to date now that he has the added pressure of that expectation. Our squad currently isn't up to meeting those expectations IMO - which means it is a huge summer for the club.

Will be another tough job, I just hope Robbie is up to it.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Is he getting a job with Royal Mail, he can put his own stamp on things.

He'd never last. He'd try a different way of getting the mail into the house every day - down the chimney, diagonally in the letter box, fired through an open window from a tshirt cannon.

Turkishcap

He'd never last. He'd try a different way of getting the mail into the house every day - down the chimney, diagonally in the letter box, fired through an open window from a tshirt cannon.

Tried to put in a smiley but iPad says no so just imagine one.

Edited by Turkishcap

Ah! Like a cat?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Tried to put in a smiley but iPad says no so just imagine one.

Ha. Imagine one back.

He'd never get his full round in anyway because he'd spend so much time preparing for the potential dangers at each house - getting in and out of dog bite protection suits, chugging anti histamine pills if there was a cat, getting signed affadavit from a lawyer if there was a chance a kid might jump on his leg, learning urdu on the doorstep in case the Singha want to speak to him about this parcel delivery.

Bazzas right boot

Works for Santa

Watt-Zeefuik

We largely disagree on Robbie but this is a high-quality post. :lol:

The Comedian

Overall I didn't really enjoy last season. My main gripe is the style of football we play, it was slow, miserable and boring in my opinion. Fresh from admin we were a blank slate for our new management team and owner, Neilson talked of introducing a style of play which would be worth watching and we did until perhaps new year in his first season. It completely disappeared last season. The usual response here is something along the lines 'we've never played attractive football' like it's set in stone. I totally don't buy that. We essentially started again but because our management team are inherently negative we've gone in this perfunctory direction. It's like we don't want to shake the old image of a plodding Hearts side even when we had a blank sheet of paper. Whisper it but you don't have to watch shite just because you always have Grandad.

We gave up on 2nd IMO for no good reason which showed our management team's lack of ambition. The club went on it's holiday's with about 4-5 games left. Aberdeen were awful in the latter stages of the league but received no pressure from ourselves allowing them to stutter over the line. The usual response here is either 'we were just promoted' or 'Aberdeen are much better than us' and lo I don't buy that either. Aberdeen weren't all that good, they just aren't and so what If we were just promoted? We aren't a Ross County or a Hamilton. We put the brakes on for no reason IMO. Look westward to the the latest First Division champs, they are already talking about winning the league. Many here had the attitude of consolidation or top six FFS, including our chairwoman.

I understand why we will allow Neilson another season, Id like to see pace and creativity added to the squad and some intensity in our place. There's no hiding behind inexperience or admin or we're just promoted anymore. If he starts showing a bit more guile I'll be delighted. I like the guy and want him to succeed but I can't help thinking we are on a hiding to nothing in this five year plan.

Edited by The Comedian

niblick1874

I agree. If he does not get over to Canada next season and deliver something to my door (a program for an upcoming game would do)  he can get to ****.

Overall I didn't really enjoy last season. My main gripe is the style of football we play, it was slow, miserable and boring in my opinion. Fresh from admin we were a blank slate for our new management team and owner, Neilson talked of introducing a style of play which would be worth watching and we did until perhaps new year in his first season. It completely disappeared last season. The usual response here is something along the lines 'we've never played attractive football' like it's set in stone. I totally don't buy that. We essentially started again but because our management team are inherently negative we've gone in this perfunctory direction. It's like we don't want to shake the old image of a plodding Hearts side even when we had a blank sheet of paper. Whisper it but you don't have to watch shite just because you always have Grandad.

We gave up on 2nd IMO for no good reason which showed our management team's lack of ambition. The club went on it's holiday's with about 4-5 games left. Aberdeen were awful in the latter stages of the league but received no pressure from ourselves allowing them to stutter over the line. The usual response here is either 'we were just promoted' or 'Aberdeen are much better than us' and lo I don't buy that either. Aberdeen weren't all that good, they just aren't and so what If we were just promoted? We aren't a Ross County or a Hamilton. We put the brakes on for no reason IMO. Look westward to the the latest First Division champs, they are already talking about winning the league. Many here had the attitude of consolidation or top six FFS, including our chairwoman.

I understand why we will allow Neilson another season, Id like to see pace and creativity added to the squad and some intensity in our place. There's no hiding behind inexperience or admin or we're just promoted anymore. If he starts showing a bit more guile I'll be delighted. I like the guy and want him to succeed but I can't help thinking we are on a hiding to nothing in this five year plan.

Great Post.

This is exactly the attitude I like.

gowestjambo

Well said Comedian. If you give someone 5 years to achieve something - guess how long the usually take?

Perhaps if we had a three year plan, we might of actually tried to win cup matches and not given up playing attacking attractive football with 6 weeks to go!

This is just a license to free wheel. If Neilson was an ultra motivated guy we would have witnessed the above. The fact that he insulted the fans with the rubbish at the end of the season says it all to me.

Getintaethem

Good post.

One thing I will say though is that after Sow left, Walker got injured and Nicholson lost form. This resulted in us lacking some creativity and struggling for pace in the team. I think with the players we had left we had to adopt a more defensive and methodical approach in the later half of the season. I would hope that the management team have identified this as our major problem and have signings in place for this transfer window to rectify it.

Buffalo Bill

I cannot believe we're still relitigating that stupid game, but anyway...

On this "natural position" point, I really have no idea what you're trying to argue.  They were players in their natural position, playing them badly at the time, demonstrating real danger of giving up bad mistakes.  I am not sure how that's supposed to reflect on Neilson.

Robbie was heard by many in the main stand to be yelling, "push up the park! press them!" throughout the period where we were back on our heels.  (Reported by and confirmed by both JKB posters and interviews with the players themselves.) It was obvious that the more advanced players themselves had no faith in the back line to hold its own, as evidenced by the basic mistakes they were making even with cover from the midfield.  Pallardo was getting run past at every turn, Dauda clearly didn't understand what his pressing role was, and Cowie (who had to come in for Buaben, also injured at the 10 minute mark) had been with the team less than a week and was barely match fit.

In short, we had a team of second choices, new signings, and slow players on the park, and we had a 2-0 lead at home.  And EVEN WITH THAT Robbie was telling the players to get up the park, but the players themselves simply weren't comfortable leaving McGhee and Oshaniwa exposed on that flank, so were sitting deep and preserving their energy.

It was a mess, yes.  It was also a mess born of a really bad personnel situation.

You forgot to mention the walking wounded Djoum, who effectively left us a man down after all the subs had been made.

I was gutted after the 2-2, but the tie was still there to be won at ER.

gashauskis9

Brendon Rogers was hailed as brilliant at Liverpool. Then Suarez left. And turned out Rogers was crap, and he got sacked.

Be interested in Robbie's record post-Sow and pre-Sow if anyone has analysed it.

I think to really praise a manager they have to finish above the money. In other words, this season i imagine our salary bill is the 3rd largest in the league. And that's where we finished. Where the money says we should. Last season we finished first, with the money saying 2nd. Which I think was down to Sow.

So it's a reason I'm hesitant to gush on league performance. So I come back to the 2 games v Hibs. Jefferies was a motivator. Burley a man manager. Just not sure about Neilson. The lack of heart at ER being unforgiveable.

I think we need someone to take us to the next level. If Ann is serious about a league challenge, we need a new manager. I still like Robbie. But think we need something different to progress. With us being in Europe I'd be interested in the quality of applicant from UK and abroad.

There was little difference in results pre and post Sow (win % was still around 60ish). I don't think his job will be defined by Sow. Most folk on here only care about derbies and FWIW Sow was generally anonymous in all of them.

Joe Hearts

Expectations are now high but unless there is a major change from last season in how we approach certain games, especially away from home we will not be able to push for the top two.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In Europe 2 years following administration. Having won a league by a record margin

We are clearly free wheeling coasting not trying a bit

Expectations are now high but unless there is a major change from last season in how we approach certain games, especially away from home we will not be able to push for the top two.

SPOT ON!

Good points. Next season Robbie's job will be tougher just by the weight of expectation.

Year 1 folk hoped to compete with Rangers. Robbie's mandate was promotion within 2 years. We won league.

Year 2 most folk just hoped we'd make top 6. Robbie's mandate was top 6. Others like me were more ambitious when saw how shite league was and wanted at least top 3. We did finished 3rd, meeting my and many others expectations (albeit the way we did it was fairly lacklustre and dull, but that is another argument) and surpassing the target he was set by the club.

Year 3 - folk will be expecting at the very least top 4. Very least. No comfort blanket of the club setting "top 6" as his target. Many are peeved that 4 fairly diddy clubs Hibs, St Johnstone, ICT and Ross County have won trophies in the last few years. Throw in Aberdeen to that mix too. Fans are craving success as they always do.

Next year will be by far Robbie's biggest test to date now that he has the added pressure of that expectation. Our squad currently isn't up to meeting those expectations IMO - which means it is a huge summer for the club.

Will be another tough job, I just hope Robbie is up to it.

The 'mandate' from the Club for year 1 (and 2) was promotion from the Championship.

The revised 'mandate' from the Club for year 2 was (allegedly) a top 6 finish. 

So what 'mandate' have the Club given Robbie for year 3?

18Jambo_dave74

Of course the manager must deliver next season, isn't this the case for every manager?

For me, Neilson has done a very good job in his time with us - I would say a fantastic first season in charge followed by a good second season. I think people need to remember that he is still a rookie manager and is still learning (and making mistakes) but in my opinion he has done more than enough to remain as manager and I find a lot of the criticism over the top.

That said, there are absolutely valid criticism's that can be made and areas that need to be improved upon - I don't think that anybody is trying to claim that there aren't areas with room for improvement. I'd like to see improvements to:

- Away form/ performances - Having attended and watched a lot of away games this season, generally we have not been good to watch and we haven't scored many goals. We are capable of doing it. Games at Partick, Ross County and in particular Dundee, I thought we played very well.

- Cup runs - I'd like to see us do better in the cups as I feel getting to semis and finals regularly should be a regular thing for a club like ours. It should be noted that we have not had particularly kind draws in Neilson's time in charge though.

- Style of play - I'd like to see us get back to the fast attacking style of play that served us so well in Neilson's first year in charge. I feel that the tempo of our play is too slow at the moment and we have the ability and potential to blow teams away and have games in the bag by half time. Performances against Motherwell and Aberdeen in the cup would indicate that we are capable of this more often.

- Derby record - There's no getting away from the fact that we've been generally very poor in the derby matches. When (if) we play Hibs again I'd like to see a big improvement in our attitude to these games.

What I would take in to account for this season, is that we lost our main striker and top scorer (and in my opinion, best player) in January and we haven't been able to replace him. We were also without Walker and Ozturk for large parts of the season. I bet there's not many teams that would have coped as well as we have when missing their top scorer; main creative threat and best centre back (and captain).

I think our recruitment this summer is absolutely vital and I'm excited to see who we sign. I accept there have been some poor signings - Oshaniwa, Anderson, El Hass, Swanson - but no club gets every signing correct. In the main our recruitment has been very good, hopefully we get more players in the mould of Djoum, Kitchen, Ozturk, Sow, Rossi, Souttar etc.

I'm looking forward to next season already and playing European football once more.

Of course the manager must deliver next season, isn't this the case for every manager?

For me, Neilson has done a very good job in his time with us - I would say a fantastic first season in charge followed by a good second season. I think people need to remember that he is still a rookie manager and is still learning (and making mistakes) but in my opinion he has done more than enough to remain as manager and I find a lot of the criticism over the top.

That said, there are absolutely valid criticism's that can be made and areas that need to be improved upon - I don't think that anybody is trying to claim that there aren't areas with room for improvement. I'd like to see improvements to:

- Away form/ performances - Having attended and watched a lot of away games this season, generally we have not been good to watch and we haven't scored many goals. We are capable of doing it. Games at Partick, Ross County and in particular Dundee, I thought we played very well.

- Cup runs - I'd like to see us do better in the cups as I feel getting to semis and finals regularly should be a regular thing for a club like ours. It should be noted that we have not had particularly kind draws in Neilson's time in charge though.

- Style of play - I'd like to see us get back to the fast attacking style of play that served us so well in Neilson's first year in charge. I feel that the tempo of our play is too slow at the moment and we have the ability and potential to blow teams away and have games in the bag by half time. Performances against Motherwell and Aberdeen in the cup would indicate that we are capable of this more often.

- Derby record - There's no getting away from the fact that we've been generally very poor in the derby matches. When (if) we play Hibs again I'd like to see a big improvement in our attitude to these games.

What I would take in to account for this season, is that we lost our main striker and top scorer (and in my opinion, best player) in January and we haven't been able to replace him. We were also without Walker and Ozturk for large parts of the season. I bet there's not many teams that would have coped as well as we have when missing their top scorer; main creative threat and best centre back (and captain).

I think our recruitment this summer is absolutely vital and I'm excited to see who we sign. I accept there have been some poor signings - Oshaniwa, Anderson, El Hass, Swanson - but no club gets every signing correct. In the main our recruitment has been very good, hopefully we get more players in the mould of Djoum, Kitchen, Ozturk, Sow, Rossi, Souttar etc.

I'm looking forward to next season already and playing European football once more.

"Generally"?   We have been feckin shocking in every Derby under Neilson - even the one we managed to win!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

"Generally"? We have been feckin shocking in every Derby under Neilson - even the one we managed to win!

Wee Doddie often said horses for courses. If we ever play another derby under Robbie he might want to play an old fashioned get into them style. But that isn't necessarily good in the bigger picture.

Hibs have allowed themselves to be dictated by Hearts I don't think we should ever allow ourselves to let that happen no matter the pish they may spout

Wee Doddie often said horses for courses. If we ever play another derby under Robbie he might want to play an old fashioned get into them style. But that isn't necessarily good in the bigger picture.

Hibs have allowed themselves to be dictated by Hearts I don't think we should ever allow ourselves to let that happen no matter the pish they may spout

"Horses for courses" - that is also pertinent for tactics and how you motivate players specifically for a Derby.

One thing I have observed from our winning teams in Derbies was that WE did indeed dictate to Hibs how the game, and they, could play.  Much of that was winning 50-50 tackles, second balls, etc, and yes - the old fashioned "get intae thum" style, added to good attacking football. 

Not sure how that approach can be bad for the 'big picture' - one thing is certain is that Neilson's approach to Derbies so far has not been successful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think the OP has gone now too

At long last. Clearly on the wind up for months on end

Lord Beni of Gorgie

"Horses for courses" - that is also pertinent for tactics and how you motivate players specifically for a Derby.

One thing I have observed from our winning teams in Derbies was that WE did indeed dictate to Hibs how the game, and they, could play.  Much of that was winning 50-50 tackles, second balls, etc, and yes - the old fashioned "get intae thum" style, added to good attacking football. 

Not sure how that approach can be bad for the 'big picture' - one thing is certain is that Neilson's approach to Derbies so far has not been successful.

Your quality levels would suffer playing the old fashioned Scottish game constantly. Whilst it may win you the odd derby it will not win you much in the long run. Leicester have just won a league surrendering possession, but not playing an up and at em style of football.

Neilsons choice of tactics may not have been interesting post Aberdeen horsing, but in terms of the club finances they almost certainly have proved to be prudent.

For me he has to make our transition from defence to attack faster, be a bit more aggressive. Perry Kitchen may allow us to do that, guarding the back 4, having the athletic ability to do that, neither Gomis or Pallardo had. Close season is the time to make these adjustments. I think we will providing we can get the correct personnel

Edited by Sir Gio

Your quality levels would suffer playing the old fashioned Scottish game constantly. Whilst it may win you the odd derby it will not win you much in the long run. Leicester have just won a league surrendering possession, but not playing an up and at em style of football.

Neilsons choice of tactics may not have been interesting post Aberdeen horsing, but in terms of the club finances they almost certainly have proved to be prudent.

For me he has to make our transition from defence to attack faster, be a bit more aggressive. Perry Kitchen may allow us to do that, guarding the back 4, having the athletic ability to do that, neither Gomis or Pallardo had. Close season is the time to make these adjustments. I think we will providing we can get the correct personnel

Not suggesting we play the old fashioned Scottish game constantly - "horses for courses" for Derby games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not suggesting we play the old fashioned Scottish game constantly - "horses for courses" for Derby games.

So we agree!!! Hoooraaaayyyy!!!  :)

Craigieboy

I wouldn't bank on progress under Neilson.

I've seen enough of his tactics already to see where we're heading.

Still, I'll give him a few months. If results are as I expect them to be I would expect him to be binned.

Edited by Craigieboy

Harvey Specter

I wouldn't bank on progress under Neilson.

I've seen enough of his tactics already to see where we're heading.

Still, I'll give him a few months. If results are as I expect them to be I would expect him to be binned.

Since Robbie Neilson took the reigns we've romped the Championship, finished third in the Premiership and qualified for Europe. Throughout this short period of time a few of our players form has been recognised by the managers/coaches of their respective countries and they have been duly rewarded with senior call up's, something that Robbie Neilson has quite clearly played a part in as the man that coaches them on a day to day business. As well as the numerous individual awards our players received last season, this season our captain was named in the Premiership team of the year. This has all occurred throughout two seasons of record attendances. I could go on and on.

If that's not progress then I don't know what is. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Next season will reveal if the style of play is preferred or was indeed for consolidation.

Only time will tell and there will be several factors that impact on the style. Who we sign how quickly we get going and of course who our opponents sign

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

It will be tough for Robbie if he's getting offered shite players like Connor Sammon.

Bazzas right boot

It will be tough for Robbie if he's getting offered shite players like Connor Sammon.

Ha ha, only if he accepts  them!

Gary Mackay said in his book that Levein always said the derbies were "just another 3 points" and that he'd learnt this from Sandy Jardine.

I rarely side with Mackay over Levein, but I do agree that derbies are more than just 3 pts.

Robbie needs to get the team more fired up for derbies. They are MUCH more than just 3 pts to me.

Gary Mackay said in his book that Levein always said the derbies were "just another 3 points" and that he'd learnt this from Sandy Jardine.

I rarely side with Mackay over Levein, but I do agree that derbies are more than just 3 pts.

Robbie needs to get the team more fired up for derbies. They are MUCH more than just 3 pts to me.

Sergio was of the same manner. He wanted his players to play the game not the occasion. Go out with ice in the veins and do the job. Another game to win.

He absolutely owned the shite that season.

So there is merit to treating it like another game to go out and win. Having said that Sergio was brilliant and I'll spend the rest of my life wondering what it would have been like had he been given a clean run at it for a couple of seasons.

Dallas Cowboys

In Europe 2 years following administration. Having won a league by a record margin

We are clearly free wheeling coasting not trying a bit

Still towing the old administration, promotion garbage.

Last season was bang average playing the most boring football. If people were happy with that then they are losers - we should have done much much better.

RN better get it sorted.

Dallas Cowboys

At long last. Clearly on the wind up for months on end

Is this a football forum? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just cause it doesn't fit your agenda doesn't mean he was on the wind up

Sergio was of the same manner. He wanted his players to play the game not the occasion. Go out with ice in the veins and do the job. Another game to win.

So there is merit to treating it like another game to go out and win. Having said that Sergio was brilliant and I'll spend the rest of my life wondering what it would have been like had he been given a clean run at it for a couple of seasons.

I have to admit I didn't think Sergio did very well. A squad with good quality and we finished 5th in the league. A win against Celtic in the semi saved the season from being dire, and obviously the final made it tremendous.

I have to admit I didn't think Sergio did very well. A squad with good quality and we finished 5th in the league. A win against Celtic in the semi saved the season from being dire, and obviously the final made it tremendous.

He never got a chance to bring in his own players, the whole season was ruined by behind the scenes trouble and saved by the cup. I mean a completely clean run like Robbie is getting.

Unknown user

To be fair, any criticism is quickly shot down, no? There appears to be a feeling that you are either with Robbie 100% or part of the "Rhobbie Oot" brigade. I would be somewhere in between those two camps, albeit closer to the latter after the cup games.

Quickly shot down = people have the nerve to disagree on an opinion forum.

Some people need to deal with it better, stand your ground, make your points, stop bloody whining that you're not allowed an opinion.

You are allowed an opinion but I'm allowed an opinion on your opinion too, deal with it.

Oh, and if your avatar is farage, there will be a percentage of people who reasonably suspect you're a racist/idiot/troll!

gashauskis9

This. What Sergio had that complimented this approach was hungry players. Robbie doesn't (yet) have that luxury IMO.

gashauskis9

He never got a chance to bring in his own players, the whole season was ruined by behind the scenes trouble and saved by the cup. I mean a completely clean run like Robbie is getting.

I don't agree that Robbie's getting a clean run. 3rd place at the first time of asking isn't good enough for a great number on here.

I don't agree that Robbie's getting a clean run. 3rd place at the first time of asking isn't good enough for a great number on here.

Some of which are entitled to their opinion.

Most of which are spouting utter jobbies.

• 2 weeks later...
Lord Beni of Gorgie

Delivered some fantastic season ticket sales, majority must be at least content, by this resounding response. Add in a bit of flair, we will sell out a new stand as well!!!

Delivered some fantastic season ticket sales, majority must be at least content, by this resounding response. Add in a bit of flair, we will sell out a new stand as well!!!

I renewed my season - doesn't mean I'm content!