******The Official EUROPEAN ( merged ) Thread******

Statto

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potentially 2 seeded ties followed by 2 unseeded ones to make the groups. No chance we'll be making the groups this time round in my opinion.

Great thread though, will enjoy watching how it all develops.

The Europa League has changed since our last involvement.

There is no place for the top three 'Fair Play' teams, which is a good thing IMO, you shouldn't get into Europe for being a nice team.

16 teams now enter directly into the Group stages which, for a team like ours, is probably a good thing. It's all about self-preservation for the bigger teams, they guarantee themselves European football until Christmas but for us, it means there are less places to qualify for but in theory easier teams to beat to get there. There is also now no teams entering directly into the Play Off round, only the 29 teams from the 3rd qualifying round and 15 teams dropping out of the Champions League 3rd qualifying round. Again, I think this is a good thing for a team like Hearts, there's a higher percentage of teams in the draw qualifying from the 3rd round than from when we were drawn against Liverpool and Tottenham the previous year. If you can get a favourable draw in the Play off round, there is every chance of making the Group Stages.

Ferryjambo99

There is no place for the top three 'Fair Play' teams, which is a good thing IMO, you shouldn't get into Europe for being a nice team.

16 teams now enter directly into the Group stages which, for a team like ours, is probably a good thing. It's all about self-preservation for the bigger teams, they guarantee themselves European football until Christmas but for us, it means there are less places to qualify for but in theory easier teams to beat to get there. There is also now no teams entering directly into the Play Off round, only the 29 teams from the 3rd qualifying round and 15 teams dropping out of the Champions League 3rd qualifying round. Again, I think this is a good thing for a team like Hearts, there's a higher percentage of teams in the draw qualifying from the 3rd round than from when we were drawn against Liverpool and Tottenham the previous year. If you can get a favourable draw in the Play off round, there is every chance of making the Group Stages.

Certainly seems like if we get a bit of luck with the draws we could have a great campaign. Can't wait for next season

So we could earn 400k by entering the first round and beating a team followed by winning or losing in the 2nd round?

Stephen Muddie

Fingers crossed. Be a dream come true to go from a tough Championship on paper to a Europa League group in just over 2 seasons. Toes crossed too :sailor:

August Landmesser

Cork City would be good, some cracking boozers there.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Riddley Walker

I love this thread by the way. Looking forward to getting some of those ticked off in the OP. If we can be seeded in round 2 that'll make such a difference. I want as easy a route as possible.

Gorgie_Rules

Any chance you have the list of the seeded teams in the play off round from this season? Just so could see the chance of getting a potentially favourable draw (and the 3rd round as well if easy to find)

Any chance you have the list of the seeded teams in the play off round from this season? Just so could see the chance of getting a potentially favourable draw (and the 3rd round as well if easy to find)

The seeded teams in this season's 3rd round were;

AZ Alkmaar (Ned)

Bordeaux (Fra)

Zurich (Sui)

Aberdeen (Sco)*+

Vorska Poltava (Ukr)

Copenhagen (Den)*

PAOK (Gre)*

Saint-Etienne (Fra)

Belenenses (Por)

Rosenborg (Nor)*

Thun (Sui)*

Rubin Kazan (Rus)

Legia Warsaw (Pol)*

Sampdoria (Ita)

Southampton (Eng)

Elfsborg (Swe)*

Zorya Luhansk (Ukr)

Borussia Dortmund (Ger)

Standard Liege (Bel)

Slovan Liberec (Cze)

West Ham (Eng)*

Apollon Limassol (Cyp)*

Atromitos (Gre)

Athletic Bilbao (Spa)

Trabzonspor (Tur)*

Vitoria (Por)

Krasnodar (Rus)

Hadjuk Split (Cro)*

Omonia (Cyp)*

* = all teams that qualified from QR2

+ = all teams qualified from QR2 that defeated a team with a higher coefficient, effectively taking their coefficient into this draw.

This season's Play Off round consisted of 15 teams that dropped out of the Champions League plus 29 teams that won their ELQR3 tie. The draw took place after the last match so every team took their own coefficient. The seeded teams were;

Atletic Bilbao (Spa)

Viktoria Plzen (Cze) CL

Steaua Bucharest (Rom) CL

Legia Warsaw (Pol)

Belenenses (Por)

Ajax (Ned) CL

PAOK (Gre)

Young Boys (Sui) CL

Standard Liege (Bel)

Saint-Etienne (Fra)

Rubin Kazan (Rus)

Red Bull Salzburg (Aut) CL

Fenerbahce (Tur) CL

Bordeaux (Fra)

Lech Poznan (Pol) CL

Slovan Liberec (Cze)

Borussia Dortmund (Ger)

AZ Alkmaar (Ned)

Sparta Prague (Cze) CL

Panathinaikos (Gre) CL

Southampton (Eng)

Krasnodar (Rus)

Looking at the 3rd qualifying round, there are a few teams that are beatable, Scandinavian teams generally seem to do well in the qualifying rounds but do nothing in the later stages of European competitions. I'd say it's mostly down to the fact that they are mid-season when these qualifiers take place and their superior match-fitness is just enough to take them through against teams that they wouldn't have otherwise beat. You could say they have an artificial coefficient and are ranked higher than they should be. If we've had 4 competitive games behind us plus any friendly matches, I'd be optimistic about facing a team like Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Thun, Elfsborg etc.

Other countries I'd feel we'd have a fair chance against is teams from Greece, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Croatia. With the exception of the Czech Republic, the other three countries are really hot countries, especially mid-July. If the team are well managed during the away leg and we don't run out of steam by 70 minutes, I'd feel optimistic of taking the likes of Slovan Liberec, Hadjuk Split, Atromitos, Omonia, over two legs.

For the Play Off round, there are a lot of good teams in there, if you can get lucky with the draw and avoid the really big guns, Dortmund, Ajax etc. then you have every chance of causing a big upset and the club getting the big pay day.

The Treasurer

One thing that's clear is a lot depends on the luck of the draw in all rounds.

Even the earliest rounds can pair us against an "unknown" but they turn out to be a more than decent side.

Phil Dunphy

The unconfirmed list so far;

Dinamo Minsk or Shakhtyor Soligorsk (Belarus)

Gothenburg or AIK Solna (Sweden)

Stabaek or Odd (Norway)

Kairat, Aktobe or Ordabasy (Kazakhstan)

IFK Mariehamn, RoPS or HJK Helsinki (Finland)

Valur, Brei?ablik or KR (Iceland)

Cork City, Shamrock Rovers or St Patricks (R.O.I)

Trakai or Atlantas (Lithuania)

Skonto Riga or Ventspils (Latvia)

Levadia Tallinn or Nomme Kalju (Estonia)

V?kingur G?ta, NS? Runav?k or HB (Faroe Islands)

There are still a lot of teams to be added, but from what I'm reading, these are the ones who're in so far.

Cork City would be good, some cracking boozers there.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Aye, was thinking that.

A jolly and a half !

Now's the time to comment as we have secured the honour and right of European football. Looking forward to whom ever we play.

I'd love another trip to Croatia.

Somewhere warm would be dandy tbh.

The women were average in Zagreb.....!

:vampire:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Would want to avoid St Pats, they're a better team now compared to 18 years ago.

You're gonna get a fright when you add that up again. :lol:

One thing that's clear is a lot depends on the luck of the draw in all rounds.

Even the earliest rounds can pair us against an "unknown" but they turn out to be a more than decent side.

Aberdeen drawing kairat a good example

The Continental Op

Here's a link is to a pretty accurate listing of the UEFA competitions qualification status which is updated after relevant matches every day:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4FE4712A1E3EA4FA!264&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AE6GANv4hXH3YuQ

Failing that, Bert Kassies site is my usual first reference.

(semi-) interesting points - 

If Leicester don't win the Premiership in England, they are almost certain to be in 'group of death' due to their low ranking

Aberdeen might be best placed Scottish team to get past the 3rd round - draw a team like Aab (Aalborg) or Hadjuk Split and grab their seeded place  for the Q3 draw which takes place between the first and second legs. We might have to depend on drawing a giant-killer in Q3 if we pass Q2 - but having said that, the 5th/6th best team in e.g.Portugal or Ukraine could do us nicely (not sure about an away trip to the latter country though!)

Gorgie_Rules

Cheers Statto, certainly is a few teams in the 3rd round that are beatable, particularly at Tynecastle. The play-off round looks very tough, we would need to get a bit of luck then pull of an upset. For me that would be a decent campaign, come through 3 ties (to favourable locations) then have a stab at one of the big teams in the play off, best we can hope for really but should generate a bit cash on that run

Midloth_Iain

Here's a link is to a pretty accurate listing of the UEFA competitions qualification status which is updated after relevant matches every day:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4FE4712A1E3EA4FA!264&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AE6GANv4hXH3YuQ

I see Hibernians are in there as potential unseeded 1st round qualifiers

letsalldothebeattie

I would like to see us get winnable ties against Irish, Welsh, Andorran, Gibraltan sides etc small teams easy passage to next rounds and hopefully reach the Play Off round and get a decent money spinning tie. Ideally I would like us to reach the group stages but I will settle for being the Scottish Side to go furthest in Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Potter

Aye much as Liverpool and Spurs were good days out I'm looking a bit further afield this season.

Aye and some easier teams so we can progress.

MatthewHMFC

Anybody know how tickets are sold for away games and how popular they usually are? I presume the club will offer a package with travel as well

Allowayjambo1874

Anybody know how tickets are sold for away games and how popular they usually are? I presume the club will offer a package with travel as well

Stating the obvious but depends where and against whom.

For example v Zagreb they could offer us I think 5k tickets and about 1500 travelled so no issues however Liverpool offered us limited amount (2.5k?) so it went on loyalty points.

Unfortunately the first round draw is only 2-3 weeks before the tie so travelling to far flung places will be very expensive for flights so tickets will be no bother on the other hand Irish Welsh etc will be easy to get to but demand will be high and some of these clubs have limited capacities so it might go to loyalty points again.

The last time the club ran package was to Bordeaux I think, which booked out but was a day trip no accomadation however you can always go on official club flight/hotels but you will pay for it big style.

Delighted that we will be watching European football at Tynecastle next season. Hopefully we will continue to qualify for Europe for years to come. I think this is imperative for a club of our size. 

Certainly the management team will be targeting the group stages - a difficult task but definitely possible.  

I remember the days when you could finish 5th in the league and still qualify for Europe how times have changed.

Great achievement to get there and hopefully a draw that will be easy to get to with a beatable team. Liverpool and spurs were great but ended to euro adventure far to quickly.

I'm off to Croatia on 20th of July so a Croatian team in Croatia on the 21st would be handy.

I see Hibernians are in there as potential unseeded 1st round qualifiers

No chance, they're bound to Hibs it!

Gorgie_Rules

Will Gambo be chartering a plane again? That was a great day trip to Zagreb!

Out of interest where was that to and how much was it per person?

Out of interest where was that to and how much was it per person?

.....em....Zagreb !

?350 a head if I remember correctly....possibly slightly more.....worth it even though the result was awful.

CavySlaveJambo

No chance, they're bound to Hibs it!

Other Hibs. You know the Maltese one. 

Archived