Kodi again

Unknown user

luckyBatistuta

And not to mention Hearts TV is now free to view on it. Brilliant, just what our club needs, people scamming much needed revenue because of the it's I'm alright Jack attitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I resisted cancelling my Sky for ages and finally went for it and signed up to Sportsmania. I don't for one second feel bad about watching games, that i was paying for on Sky, as they really started to piss me off, with trying to charge me for things, that i felt they shouldn't be. A lot of my mates were on better deals than me with them, even though i was the only one, that had been with them since day one, on the full package{minus the Willie Thorne}. I do have to admit though, that i wasn't happy that Hearts appeared in the Club Teams section on Sportsmania, as it could cost the club money. I know you'll not agree with me, but dinnae worry i'll no block ye :lol:

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudolf's Mate

• jack D and coke

• Unknown user

• AlimOzturk

Blocked? Maybe you're feeling a wee bit uncomfortable by a few home truths?

You can argue all you like but, Kodi is no better than torrenting. That's the facts Smithee and you know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dutch based hypochondriacs cant get that through even their thinest of skulls.

Guys. I am the last one on the board to back off from a bit of a row in some places and on some subjects, but this thread is a great guide for newbies to Kodi and old hands alike. Let's not take it off at a tangent and get it closed.

For what it's worth, I do have an element of guilt about using it, and I wouldn't view Hearts TV without compensating the club in some financial way (even though I couldn't pay for and watch that content legally in this country if I wanted to) but hey, the Sky and Virgin monopoly over paid TV in this country has to be challenged. It's daylight fecking robbery. In an average month they were getting a bigger slice of my income than the NHS were getting from me through taxation. For every ?100 paid in subscriptions, premier league footballers get ?9.23. Pure and simply morally wrong IMO.

Best we get back to the techy stuff and helpful tips though.

Edited by CollyWolly

luckyBatistuta

Guys. I am the last one on the board to back off from a bit of a row in some places and on some subjects, but this thread is a great guide for newbies to Kodi and old hands alike. Let's not take it off at a tangent and get it closed.

For what it's worth, I do have an element of guilt about using it, and I wouldn't view Hearts TV without compensating the club in some financial way (even though I couldn't pay for and watch that content legally in this country if I wanted to) but hey, the Sky and Virgin monopoly over paid TV in this country has to be challenged. It's daylight fecking robbery. In an average month they were getting a bigger slice of my income than the NHS were getting from me through taxation. For every ?100 paid in subscriptions, premier league footballers get ?9.23. Pure and simply morally wrong IMO.

Best we get back to the techy stuff and helpful tips though.

I know you mean well bud and i totally agree with where your coming from, but i think your probably fuelling it :lol:

Unknown user

As satisfying as it is to block and ignore a little doggy that's barking for attention, we don't want this thread to turn that way too. It's been really good and welcoming for newcomers to the experience and it would be good to keep it that way.

So, I started a separate thread on the rights and wrongs of streaming so we can move along from this and get back to the helpful spirit of the thread.

Mods, I assume this is the best way to ensure this thread doesn't get clogged up? :thumbsup:

See this kodi? How reliable is is it as a direct replacement to Sky\Virgin?

Don't want to be co Stanley searching for a decent channel, or worse, a crap non HD picture.

Edited by hughesie27

Rudolf's Mate

Don't want to be co Stanley searching for a decent channel, or worse, a crap non HD picture.

For TV and films is really reliable. For totally free sports not so however paying ?52 for the year for Mania sorts that right out.

Also most of the films are on there in HD long before Sky even gets a sniff.

Most don't however quite a few of us also pay for a service called Real Debrid. It gives you access to preferential streams and guarantees there not overloaded meaning less likely to buffer. You don't need it however for ?11 for 6 months I personally think it's a no brainer.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Unknown user

Sounds great. I'll be back on this thread at a later date!

Make sure you have a good quality Internet connection btw or its just going to be a brutal experience for you!

A lot depends on your viewing habits but It's incomparable to sky or virgin on every level other than cost so only you can decide if it's worth it. I have kodi which I use for the odd film but I also have the full sky package. Anyone telling you different is kidding themselves and you on.

Unknown user

A lot depends on your viewing habits but It's incomparable to sky or virgin on every level other than cost so only you can decide if it's worth it. I have kodi which I use for the odd film but I also have the full sky package. Anyone telling you different is kidding themselves and you on.

It sounds like you haven't tried any of the premium streaming services, my Ultomatemania tv and sports channels work a charm. I reckon the picture quality is probably about 80% of what you're used to but at less than 10% of the cost. It's growing too, so I expect improvements as they continue to upgrade servers etc

Rudolf's Mate

I had Sky when I first started using Kodi which was over 5yrs ago. One of the main addons back then was Ice Films and it wasn't as pretty and user friendly as Genesis and now Exodus however even Ice Films pissed all over Sky Movies. Admittedly I no longer use the free links on these addons as I have a Real Debrid account however if someone offered me Sky movies/TV over Kodi I'd tell them to bolt.

I concede the sports is a different matter however it really is only the user interface which separates Sky Sports but even then that's countered with 3pm KO's and all the other channels. I genuinely wouldn't take the full Sky package for ?30pm.

If people are really hacked off paying for Sky even at ?50, ?60 or ?70+ but don't like Kodi setup then if I were them I'd get RUYA which is ?18-?20pm but is meant to be as close to Sky as you'll get. It has all Sky functionality (apparently) along with all US channels and sports from all over the world and is still a huge saving.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Hi guys. Another couple of questions about Sportsmania. Quite hard to contact them prior to having an account.

Firstly does anyone have any experience of using it on a firestick, how well does it work?

Also, I know it is only one stream at a time, however could I have the app installed on Firestick for at home and mobile or tablet for when out at work etc, and watch on either of these at separate times, or do you need separate accounts for each device.

Thanks for all advice, this thread is a great help (most of the time).

You both mention cost which I have already conceded is the only thing over sky you can start to compare. It's up to the individual whether that cost saving is worth it. Sky's Picture quality, features, user interface and box quality piss all over kodi. I have only ever paid a maximum of 50% for my sky subs with this years discount 60% plus ?100 into my account. That works out at ?23.66 a month for 12 months for the complete package in HD. If you think whatever you are saving is worth it then bash on but saving that money does not make kodi comparable to what sky offer.

Unknown user

You both mention cost which I have already conceded is the only thing over sky you can start to compare. It's up to the individual whether that cost saving is worth it. Sky's Picture quality, features, user interface and box quality piss all over kodi. I have only ever paid a maximum of 50% for my sky subs with this years discount 60% plus ?100 into my account. That works out at ?23.66 a month for 12 months for the complete package in HD. If you think whatever you are saving is worth it then bash on but saving that money does not make kodi comparable to what sky offer.

I feel like you don't know what the word compare means!

You can compare Hibs and Barcelona, it doesn't mean they're the same ffs. Not a single soul on this thread has even tried to say that the quality of a service like sportsmania is 100% that of sky.

But it's a great alternative for those who would prefer to save money and not contribute to Murdoch, that's undeniable

Unknown user

Hi guys. Another couple of questions about Sportsmania. Quite hard to contact them prior to having an account.

Firstly does anyone have any experience of using it on a firestick, how well does it work?

Also, I know it is only one stream at a time, however could I have the app installed on Firestick for at home and mobile or tablet for when out at work etc, and watch on either of these at separate times, or do you need separate accounts for each device.

I've never used a firestick but it seems to be a popular choice for installing it on, maybe someone can advise in more detail.

Re mania, I've read that if they spot you accessing 2 streams at once they'll cut you off, but they don't care what device or ip you're accessing it from. That's just what I've read though, from my experience I've tried several devices but only from my home IP address and only one at a time

Rudolf's Mate

?23.66pm for the full package? That's by way and far the cheapest I've ever heard.

My films and TV are 1080p and 5.1 surround sound via Real Debrid.

I feel like you don't know what the word compare means!

You can compare Hibs and Barcelona, it doesn't mean they're the same ffs. Not a single soul on this thread has even tried to say that the quality of a service like sportsmania is 100% that of sky.

But it's a great alternative for those who would prefer to save money and not contribute to Murdoch, that's undeniable

Hughesie asked about kodie as a direct replacement for sky, unless your sole motivation is to save money you will be bitterly disappointed replacing your sky with kodi. This thread alone is an example of that disappointment with the numerous posts of people looking for streams. As I said if some people are happy with the savings or can't afford it then fine replace your sky. They better be prepared for constant tinkering and disappointment though.

My opinion on it, I await your humours reply.

?23.66pm for the full package? That's by way and far the cheapest I've ever heard.

My films and TV are 1080p and 5.1 surround sound via Real Debrid.

?32 a month plus ?100 into my account from sky. Most i have ever paid is 50%

Unknown user

Hughesie asked about kodie as a direct replacement for sky, unless your sole motivation is to save money you will be bitterly disappointed replacing your sky with kodi. This thread alone is an example of that disappointment with the numerous posts of people looking for streams. As I said if some people are happy with the savings or can't afford it then fine replace your sky. They better be prepared for constant tinkering and disappointment though.

My opinion on it, I await your humours reply.

That's simply not the case though. If you're looking for free streams, sure, expect disappointment.

As I and others have repeated again and again, paid services are getting better and better and tinkering is not required for viewing. I tinker because I love personalising it and exploring it, but it's more of a hobby to me.

Although you say the only advantage is cost, that's simply not true either. I'll be able to watch 3pm kick offs live and can watch pretty much any film or tv series I want, on demand, free of charge, and it's all done on one box via my tv remove control

Rudolf's Mate

?32 a month plus ?100 into my account from sky. Most i have ever paid is 50%

That's decent tbf and I've got family who wouldn't move from Sky so I do appreciate where you're coming from.

Cash backs are new customer offers and I'd be shocked if they gave these to existing customers to try and retain them. So says my sister who worked in sales for Sky.

And if you are paying for it the savings become even less, not everyone wants to pay. Tinkering really is part of kodi life I doubt anyone can get away from that. 3 o'clock ko's may be an advantage to you and others and maybe it's a generation thing but if I'm not at a hearts game I'm certainly not sitting in the house at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon Watching some shite game in sub standard quality. I also think a lot of people will miss the record features sky/virgin offer. Everything is relative you pay to stream and feel you are getting value for money, I'm happy with what I pay for sky.

That's decent tbf and I've got family who wouldn't move from Sky so I do appreciate where you're coming from.

Cash backs are new customer offers and I'd be shocked if they gave these to existing customers to try and retain them. So says my sister who worked in sales for Sky.

They do mate trust me. I cancel every year and 9.9 times out of 10 I get great deal to stay during my 30 day cancellation period. This year I stick to my guns and refused their 50% discount offer, a week later I got 60% plus ?100. With 3 kids the kodi option wouldn't work for me or most families imo. Edited by Dazo

Rudolf's Mate

They do mate trust me. I cancel every year and 9.9 times out of 10 I get great deal to stay during my 30 day cancellation period. This year I stick to my guns and refused their 50% discount offer, a week later I got 60% plus ?100. With 3 kids the kodi option wouldn't work for me or most families imo.

Sorry I meant to say you've done well getting the cash back rather than looking like I've questioned it.

I've got a mate whom I setup with an Amazon Fire TV box 18 months ago now. He won't move from Sky however me and others have tried telling him to at least call and get it down from around ?70pm. He helped another mate setup their AFTV and called me to help with Mania. He was taken aback how good it was and decided he was going to cancel. He called them up yesterday and text me saying they'd talked him out of it and had knocked ?21pm off and he was now paying ?50 :rofl:

If he's reading this he could confirm I took no amusement in telling him that I knew they'd have gone down to ?36 :gok: Once he reads this he might be away to Livvy to take some hostages :)

Mate I swear those of us with Mania aren't watching a shit standard of picture quality. 95% or more are full HD

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Unknown user

And if you are paying for it the savings become even less, not everyone wants to pay. Tinkering really is part of kodi life I doubt anyone can get away from that. 3 o'clock ko's may be an advantage to you and others and maybe it's a generation thing but if I'm not at a hearts game I'm certainly not sitting in the house at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon Watching some shite game in sub standard quality. I also think a lot of people will miss the record features sky/virgin offer. Everything is relative you pay to stream and feel you are getting value for money, I'm happy with what I pay for sky.

Sound, it's not for you, you go out on saturdays, but you can't say sky is better in every aspect except cost, cos it's not true.

We all live different lives and being far from home means I literally have no other way to get UK TV, but some people just need to save money.

There's also a whole debate about what you're talking about when you say "it"

Kodi alone can't do anything, you need to give it media to play via your own files or addons.

For tv and films on demand there are loads of free addons for watching great quality streams.

For Live TV there are free addons and there are paid addons, but I wouldn't cancel a sky sub to live off free addons - that would be daft. Less then 7 quid a month though, yeah I reckon it's worth it.

To be fair I know loads of people who pay full price and I've no idea why. At about ?1 a day I think it's worth it. I've no problem with kodi and as I said I've watched the odd movie on it generally without issue or cost. If new users are replacing their sky though they better be prepared to sacrifice a lot of features.

Sound, it's not for you, you go out on saturdays, but you can't say sky is better in every aspect except cost, cos it's not true.

We all live different lives and being far from home means I literally have no other way to get UK TV, but some people just need to save money.

There's also a whole debate about what you're talking about when you say "it"

Kodi alone can't do anything, you need to give it media to play via your own files or addons.

For tv and films on demand there are loads of free addons for watching great quality streams.

For Live TV there are free addons and there are paid addons, but I wouldn't cancel a sky sub to live off free addons - that would be daft. Less then 7 quid a month though, yeah I reckon it's worth it.

Which aspects of using kodi are better than sky ?

Unknown user

To be fair I know loads of people who pay full price and I've no idea why. At about ?1 a day I think it's worth it. I've no problem with kodi and as I said I've watched the odd movie on it generally without issue or cost. If new users are replacing their sky though they better be prepared to sacrifice a lot of features.

That's fair enough. I suppose in times of financial stress especially people wonder how much the bells and whistles are worth though.

But let's not forget that my subscription gets me every channel you've got plus loads more from around the world, including US premium channels and pay per view events. If I had to make cut backs, it would seem like a pretty decent compromise I reckon

Unknown user

Which aspects of using kodi are better than sky ?

Again, access to HD tv series and movies free on demand, 3pm Saturday kick offs live, club channels, premium channels from around the world, pay per view events.

But what have the Romans ever done for us?

That's fair enough. I suppose in times of financial stress especially people wonder how much the bells and whistles are worth though.

But let's not forget that my subscription gets me every channel you've got plus loads more from around the world, including US premium channels and pay per view events. If I had to make cut backs, it would seem like a pretty decent compromise I reckon

Definitely and I've already said if it's about cost then kodi will work for many and if you can't afford or can't get sky then kodi is a no brainer.

Henry. Henry.

I use a firestick for Kodi at present and never had an issue but I know others have had. Basically, keep the content light. Sportsmania and a few of the top TV and Film addons are all you need. Saying that, I have a Sportmania build on mine and that has a good few addons I'll never use.

Thanks Smithee and Henry Henry, much appreciated.I

started off using builds but now have about 10 addons in total. Firestick awesome for on demand, but can be hit and miss for live tv/sports, hopefully mania will be a bit more stable.

My internet is fibre at 30mbps so assuming the issues are with hardware.

It's only me who watches sport, so would only ever be watching one so hopefully watching on mobile when out shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again.

started off using builds but now have about 10 addons in total. Firestick awesome for on demand, but can be hit and miss for live tv/sports, hopefully mania will be a bit more stable.

It's only me who watches sport, so would only ever be watching one so hopefully watching on mobile when out shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again.

I have a firestick and Mania runs flawlessly on it.

All I have is SALTS, Specto, exodus, Mania and a Tv guide on it.

Runs very smoothly, never have any buffering problems.

I have a firestick and Mania runs flawlessly on it.

All I have is SALTS, Specto, exodus, Mania and a Tv guide on it.

Runs very smoothly, never have any buffering problems.

OK thanks, pretty much same addons as me, but I have a few extras for sports.

the stone rose

I found my firestick works best with just Sportsmania, Exodus, Phoenix and uk turks. Also use real-debrid. Generally Everything in 1080p and no buffering. 

For me personally i find kodi better than sky due to sheer content and more shows available in HD. Only thing i miss is the sky planner and record feature. However with kodi you just watch it anyway, so no probs.

I do still pay a subscription to BT tv, but not for sky sports and movies. 

My Bill before Kodi was ?123pm. Now Under ?60 for TV, broadband and phone

Edited by the stone rose

For the folk with Real Debrid, is it just films and TV or do you get live channels through it as well? Is it far superior to Exodus?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fraggle Rock

Got Ultimatemania today so wiped kodi for a fresh start, and now only have Exodus (with Realdebrid), UltimateMania and ivue loaded onto Kodi, I have not linked ivue with UM yet but off work for a few days so will get it done at some point.

the stone rose

For the folk with Real Debrid, is it just films and TV or do you get live channels through it as well? Is it far superior to Exodus?

Real-debrid is something that works with exodus, that ensures when getting sources you get the best quality streams and it limits number of users using the stream. This massively helps to stop buffering.

It also works with other addons. 

Real-debrid is something that works with exodus, that ensures when getting sources you get the best quality streams and it limits number of users using the stream. This massively helps to stop buffering.

It also works with other addons.

Cheers. I use Wookie as I'm not smart enough to use something else. I tend to reinstall Wookie on it every 7 weeks or so. Is it easy enough to add on each time? Use SportsMania and that's easy to add on again.

Unknown user

Got Ultimatemania today so wiped kodi for a fresh start, and now only have Exodus (with Realdebrid), UltimateMania and ivue loaded onto Kodi, I have not linked ivue with UM yet but off work for a few days so will get it done at some point.

There was a reason I didn't go with Ivue but I can't remember what it was, it was maybe lacking some channels or something.

If that doesn't work though, Clarkey EPG has been magnificent for me so far

the stone rose

Cheers. I use Wookie as I'm not smart enough to use something else. I tend to reinstall Wookie on it every 7 weeks or so. Is it easy enough to add on each time? Use SportsMania and that's easy to add on again.

Yeah its really easy. you just go to settings in exodus, select accounts and select the real-debrid option. it the directs you to their website (i do it on my phone) you log it and type in the code that comes up on the tv screen. takes less than a minute.

Reinstalling every 7 days seems a bit of a faff to me. Why not just individually install the 5 or so add ons you use the most? Bet kodi will run much more smoothly that way.

Also if you really want to use a build. Fusion (tvaddons) seems to be alright. couple of my mates use this.

edit. just noticed you said 7 weeks not days. doh! That's not too bad.

Edited by the stone rose

Yeah its really easy. you just go to settings in exodus, select accounts and select the real-debrid option. it the directs you to their website (i do it on my phone) you log it and type in the code that comes up on the tv screen. takes less than a minute.

Reinstalling every 7 days seems a bit of a faff to me. Why not just individually install the 5 or so add ons you use the most? Bet kodi will run much more smoothly that way.

Also if you really want to use a build. Fusion (tvaddons) seems to be alright. couple of my mates use this.

7 weeks rather than 7 days. I think I just like having lots of apps there. Find it easy to install and I know what I'm doing. Fear I'd somehow wreck Kodi if I messed with it. Tend to use a few different apps on there (UK Jukebox, Navi-X, Ccloud, others). Think I might get involved with Real Debrid, cheers for the info.

Rudolf's Mate

Thanks again.

Mania was a nightmare for me on the stick. So much so that I gave the stick to the inlaws and bought a second Fire TV.

Loads of people seem to be fine with it though however I think it was a combination of wifi signal and the stick itself. I moved my Fire TV box into the bedroom and it was saying same signal strength but that worked flawlessly.

I get speeds of 76mbps.

Those talking about EPG's. I couldn't remember the name of the EPG I used to use until it was mentioned above (iVue). It looked very, very similar to Sky however the IPTV it was linked to was a nightmare and constantly needed updating so I gave up on it.

Fraggle Rock

There was a reason I didn't go with Ivue but I can't remember what it was, it was maybe lacking some channels or something.

If that doesn't work though, Clarkey EPG has been magnificent for me so far

Cheers Smithee, how do I get my hands on Clarkey EPG ?, could save me a lot of time faffing about with ivue just to realise it is not worth it.

Fraggle Rock

On-Tapp TV is a cracking EPG

Yeah had a look at that but dont fancy the ?19yr sub for it.

luckyBatistuta

Mania was a nightmare for me on the stick. So much so that I gave the stick to the inlaws and bought a second Fire TV.

Loads of people seem to be fine with it though however I think it was a combination of wifi signal and the stick itself. I moved my Fire TV box into the bedroom and it was saying same signal strength but that worked flawlessly.

I get speeds of 76mbps.

Those talking about EPG's. I couldn't remember the name of the EPG I used to use until it was mentioned above (iVue). It looked very, very similar to Sky however the IPTV it was linked to was a nightmare and constantly needed updating so I gave up on it.

I'm the same as you, as I'd always recommend the box above the stick and my speed is 32mbps. I've also said before too, that you shouldn't put them anywhere near things like a games console, as it interferes with the streaming for some reason.