Showbox/Droidbox etc

Pans Jambo

Do you guys watch standard channels like itv and bbc through it or just use freeview for this type of viewing?

If it's an android box you could probably install TV Catchup or Mediahhh to watch regular TV.

Kodi also has a addon for TV Catchup

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are paying a fortune for these channels on virgin.

We have a fast internet speed, so could we go to a basic virgin TV package, and then get this T8 Droidbox for a one off payment to replace our monthly virgin payments?

Would it work on a tv if we did not have sky or virgin apart from the internet? any help and advice we would be grateful for.

Thanks

We are paying a fortune for these channels on virgin.

We have a fast internet speed, so could we go to a basic virgin TV package, and then get this T8 Droidbox for a one off payment to replace our monthly virgin payments?

Would it work on a tv if we did not have sky or virgin apart from the internet? any help and advice we would be grateful for.

Thanks

The short answer is yes, as long as you keep the fastest internet speed you can get. You WILL have to accept a quality drop. hardly any of the content is HD, even when it says it's HD it isn't close to what you would get from A Virgin HD channel. Also it relies absolutely on the Internet connection. If that goes slow or stops altogether you will get buffering at least or nothing at all if its stops altogether. Accept those two things and YES you could manage without premium TV packages.

One more thing to bear in mind. These things are getting more and more popular. it may well be only a matter of time before the likes of Virgin and Bt are able and willing to block the content. Okay a way will be found round it but still, just because it easily accessible now doesn't mean it always will be

Do you guys watch standard channels like itv and bbc through it or just use freeview for this type of viewing?

Mine came pre set up with a whole section of 'live tv' channels all in the one place. So i could access BBC, ITV Sky 1, Sky movies etc etc all in the same little section and all live apart from a lag of a couple of seconds

The only thing I don't have is a TVs guide but I believe you can find out what's on easy enough online

For terrestrial channels you are as well watching them the normal way if you are getting them free already. The quality will almost always be better

You can set it up from scratch yourself with a bit of know how and a bit of time on your hands, or pay a few quid more and it comes fully preloaded and all you need to do is put in a password and off you jolly well go.

Sexton Hardcastle

Worth a gamble for a ton.

Unless sky offer a much reduced cost when I contact them over the weekend.

http://www.droidsticks.co.uk/

Check these guys out. I bought one from them, pre loaded with all the channels you could want. Free new movies as soon as they come out. Saturday 3pm kick offs from the Premiership. All the box sets. All the live TV subscription channels. It'll have Mayweather vs  Pacquio on it too. Works like a dream. Great support. Plenty of You Tube videos on how to work it.

Needs a decent and consistent broadband speed to get the best out of it, but for less than ?100 its a steal !!

"Thanks for all the info CollyWolly" I used to have something called a Eurovox years ago until it got stopped.

I did not know about droidsticks.

Will be ordering one tomorrow, thanks for posting the link and info.

Going to save our family a small fortune, and look at these reviews below jambo guys and gals. ?

http://www.droidsticks.co.uk/shop/t8-aml-v2-amlogic-s802-quad-core-2-0-ghz-android-4-4-mini-4k-tv-box/

Sory just noticed the reviews are not on the link, but please look for them they are amazing on the site.

T8 reviews droidsticks.

I got one of these a few months ago. Seems quite good, but a bit fiddly for a non techie like me!

It came preloaded with Xbmc. Do I need to upgrade to Kodi? How do I do this?

invernessjt

Worth a gamble for a ton.

Unless sky offer a much reduced cost when I contact them over the weekend.

Just download Kodi on your PC and add the addons yourself. Watching a decent stream of the Lazio game just now. The Phoenix addon is great for live Serie A, which would appeal to you I'm sure.

mrmarkus1981

I've subscribed to sportsmania for a week to see what its like. Excellent is what it is, phoenix streams are good. But I've had sportsmania running flawlessly for hours

invernessjt

I've subscribed to sportsmania for a week to see what its like. Excellent is what it is, phoenix streams are good. But I've had sportsmania running flawlessly for hours

I've done the same. Cancelled Sky Sports and will use sportsmania as a straight replacement. Keeping BT for Serie A and using Phoenix for even more Serie A.

How much does sports mania cost mate?

Got an f5, think it's given up the ghost now,had it two years. Outlay of 110 pounds has been more than worth it. These devices mentioned in the op sound intriguing though

Vincent B.A

I set mine up my Droidbox last night. Really easy to set up. I had a quick look at the content. Seems to be really good for TV series and films. Really pleased with it in that regard.

I had a look at the sports content and was a bit miffed. All of the links that I clicked on either weren't there or didn't work. Any recommendations on ones to use? Is it best just to subscribe to the Sports Mania as mentioned in an earlier post? I was hoping to get decent streams without having to pay extra.

I set mine up my Droidbox last night. Really easy to set up. I had a quick look at the content. Seems to be really good for TV series and films. Really pleased with it in that regard.

I had a look at the sports content and was a bit miffed. All of the links that I clicked on either weren't there or didn't work. Any recommendations on ones to use? Is it best just to subscribe to the Sports Mania as mentioned in an earlier post? I was hoping to get decent streams without having to pay extra.

Sportsmania is the daddy or a full iptv service is always handy. As for free sports try the vdubt25 add on within kodi and the others being Stream Engine, UK Turks and Phoenix for back ups on sports. I love my boxes best cash I ever spent for myself and on outlay to make money.

Vincent B.A

Sportsmania is the daddy or a full iptv service is always handy. As for free sports try the vdubt25 add on within kodi and the others being Stream Engine, UK Turks and Phoenix for back ups on sports. I love my boxes best cash I ever spent for myself and on outlay to make money.

This is really helpful thanks. I'll check those out but feel I'll probably subscribe to the Sportsmania. I just cancelled my sky sports subscription so don't mind paying a bit if I can get decent content. I also want to see the boxing at the weekend.

Yeah seems great value for money. Also saves having to mess about with downloading torrents etc.

This is really helpful thanks. I'll check those out but feel I'll probably subscribe to the Sportsmania. I just cancelled my sky sports subscription so don't mind paying a bit if I can get decent content. I also want to see the boxing at the weekend.

Yeah seems great value for money. Also saves having to mess about with downloading torrents etc.

Sportsmania are gonna be running the fight on 12 dedicated servers. I'll be using it.

will it get the big boxing fight that is coming up?

I have had pay per view fights on it before. Can sometimes take a bit of searching about through 3 or 4 of the add ons (Channels) and it will be hard to find it very much in advance.

I am pretty confident I will be able to watch it though.

I got one of these a few months ago. Seems quite good, but a bit fiddly for a non techie like me!

It came preloaded with Xbmc. Do I need to upgrade to Kodi? How do I do this?

You don't have to. Its not straightforward unless your tech savvy, and I wouldnt bother thinking about it unless XBMC stops working altogether and you have to.

Sportsmania are gonna be running the fight on 12 dedicated servers. I'll be using it.

Is it sportsmania.eu that you register with?

Just checking I'm on the right page before I subscribe.

invernessjt

Is it sportsmania.eu that you register with?

Just checking I'm on the right page before I subscribe.

Aye

Cheers. Just got 3 months for ?17 and I'm watching the chelsea game in good quality with no buffering

Does seem pretty good.  Anyone know if you can watch the likes of sky sports during the day or do they just stream the big events?  I think they only show the big events

Cheers. Just got 3 months for ?17 and I'm watching the chelsea game in good quality with no buffering

Is it reasonable for 6 months bud?

What like are the movie channels,any good.

invernessjt

Does seem pretty good. Anyone know if you can watch the likes of sky sports during the day or do they just stream the big events? I think they only show the big events

I was watching the West Indies v England test match through the day last week.

Is it reasonable for 6 months bud?

What like are the movie channels,any good.

You can get any pretty much any movie in decent quality without subscribing to anyone. Only really the sport that you need to pay extra for

jack D and coke

Vdubt25, Pheonix TV and Staell2014 have had flawless HD streams recently. I've watched plenty sport on them and no buffering at all and 720/1080p.

invernessjt

Vdubt25, Pheonix TV and Staell2014 have had flawless HD streams recently. I've watched plenty sport on them and no buffering at all and 720/1080p.

Staell2014 is brilliant for showing all Serie A games.

invernessjt

Stream engine is another great add on for football

Just added it. Looks really good. Cheers for the heads-up.

i have a now tv box, can i download an app on to it or mod it to get free movies/sport

the_jailer

i have a now tv box, can i download an app on to it or mod it to get free movies/sport

I don't think so. U could get a Amazon fire stick and sideload kodi on to that

You can get any pretty much any movie in decent quality without subscribing to anyone. Only really the sport that you need to pay extra for

Cheers mate.

Pak Hind HD on Apple apps done an update on Thursday,still lots of adds on it but watchable bar a couple of stoppages.

NowTV box is just a limited Roku box.

Not much chance for any free streams ..etc

NowTV box is just a limited Roku box.

Not much chance for any free streams ..etc

I don't think so. U could get a Amazon fire stick and sideload kodi on to that

Thanks

Tommy Brown

Like the Specsavers advert

"Should have gone to Sports media!"

Got up at 4am for the fight, finally got a stream working on Kodi (Stream Engine), but the buffering made it unwatchable, gave up and went back to bed.

How did everyone else get on?

mrmarkus1981

I've made my way from Dunbar to Edinburgh after 4 hours sleep, out drinking pints. Hopefully I'll make a train home before I crash

Australis

Set up my T8 box on Friday,

Droidsticks had already added the main addons on their droidsticks wizard, and it is working a treat the streams are terrific.

Looks like a great bit of kit for one off payment of ?110, and I will now put my virgin media back to a basics package and save myself a fortune each month not paying for Sky movies and sports, they are all on the box.

First time I have used an airmouse but will soon get the knack.

• 2 months later...
Gerd Muller

Didnt want to start new thread as alot of information on this one relates to my question.

Ive bought an Amazon Fire stick with Kodi attached so when I add these addons - Vdubt25, Pheonix TV, Staell2014 and Stream engine , is it best to stick with these until the football season starts then sign up to sportsmania? Was watching a perfect HD stream of the golf channel last night when testing it out so quite happy with that.

The addons listed above, are they the best for streaming sports? Or do they change quite often? Im not wanting to pay for something and the the streams/company disappear. 

jack D and coke

Didnt want to start new thread as alot of information on this one relates to my question.

Ive bought an Amazon Fire stick with Kodi attached so when I add these addons - Vdubt25, Pheonix TV, Staell2014 and Stream engine , is it best to stick with these until the football season starts then sign up to sportsmania? Was watching a perfect HD stream of the golf channel last night when testing it out so quite happy with that.

The addons listed above, are they the best for streaming sports? Or do they change quite often? Im not wanting to pay for something and the the streams/company disappear.

They're usually not bad mate. Add UK Turk, Pak India and NJM Soccer off the top of my head. I'll think of more and post back[emoji106]

i was thinking of getting a chromecast or the likes as i believe you can mirror whats on your tablet or phone through it, but i'm wondering if a droidbox or such would be a  better investment?

jack D and coke

i was thinking of getting a chromecast or the likes as i believe you can mirror whats on your tablet or phone through it, but i'm wondering if a droidbox or such would be a better investment?

I gave my chromecast away I wasn't using it after getting an Amazon fire TV box and doing the kodi and TV addons installs.

Get an Amazon fire stick for the same money and Install kodi and all the addons. YouTube is your friend for all the videos. Not that difficult to do.

My Left Nut

Went to update my box over the weekend and after I did it I was like WTF!!!! Nothing was there, done it again and the same again!! Wasn't until I checked the net that the wizard has now changed to the Wookie!! After a swift browse of the web I was back in business. and I must say the new layout is better!

Archived