Celtic fans' full page ad in Sun Herald

jambovambo

In my estimation, the football authorities making known that the new club is not the old club would be the first stage in the recovery process for Scottish football, much in the same way that an alcoholic isn't going to help himself until he admits he has a problem. Rangers fans and club are never going to concede their old club was liquidated because it doesn't fit in with the sense of entitlement and superiority they've developed. Their world record number of league titles would be under threat and preserving this is critical to them. Nobody is expecting them to disappear, in the sense that there will always be a form of Rangers, probably playing out of Ibrox in red, white and blue and watched by the same supporters. I don't have a problem with this, indeed I'd encourage it. What annoys me is that they think we should believe their history continues into the present when it clearly ended in 2012. What difference will it make to Hearts? That all depends. If the current guardians of our game are removed and replaced by people who don't solely subscribe to the theory that the Old Firm are the beginning and the end of Scottish football, we might see other clubs such as Hearts begin to flourish like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, ICT, Hamilton etc. If this is Armageddon, bring it on!   

Newbie, apologies but you are beginning to sound and act like a journalist, are Francis Albert's suspicions real?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we all know that theres going to be a rangers in some shape or form , what we don't want is the complicity of the SFA that went hand and hand with the old club and " appears " to be happening with this club , ie " the 5 way agreement , trying to force sevco into the premier and championship divisions and a lot more that we will never know "

Fair enough but I don't think everyone's thinking that way. I was responding to the specific line in newbie's post that we'd be better off without Rangers, it wasn't ambiguous or meant to be something else

In my estimation, the football authorities making known that the new club is not the old club would be the first stage in the recovery process for Scottish football, much in the same way that an alcoholic isn't going to help himself until he admits he has a problem. Rangers fans and club are never going to concede their old club was liquidated because it doesn't fit in with the sense of entitlement and superiority they've developed. Their world record number of league titles would be under threat and preserving this is critical to them. Nobody is expecting them to disappear, in the sense that there will always be a form of Rangers, probably playing out of Ibrox in red, white and blue and watched by the same supporters. I don't have a problem with this, indeed I'd encourage it. What annoys me is that they think we should believe their history continues into the present when it clearly ended in 2012. What difference will it make to Hearts? That all depends. If the current guardians of our game are removed and replaced by people who don't solely subscribe to the theory that the Old Firm are the beginning and the end of Scottish football, we might see other clubs such as Hearts begin to flourish like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, ICT, Hamilton etc. If this is Armageddon, bring it on!   

You say that what annoys you is that they think we should believe their history continues into the present when it clearly ended in 2012. Why does that annoy you? Why is their "preservation of their world record number of league titles" an issue for you? We've been champions four times and I'm proud of that.

More money than sense and class, whoever has run the ad. Get a fecking life, seriously. Whatever would they both do without the hate for each other, their lives would be meaningless.

You're clearly right IMO, waaaay too much of a coincidence for me to believe.

"Only Rangers need a strong Rangers. Hearts, and the rest of Scottish football, would be much better placed without them, thank you very much."

This concept that Rangers will simply disappear is one that people need to rethink. It doesn't matter who would be better without Rangers, they, in one form or another, will continue to exist.

Short of me posting my personal details, all I can do is assure you that I'm a lifelong jambo from the Highlands who (infrequently) posts on TSFM under the moniker Highlander, but like here, I'm mostly a lurker.

ps I notice that there is not one single comment anywhere on the internet (correct me if I'm wrong) that casts doubt on the facts contained within the advert. This, along with the fact that so many people are talking about it makes it worthwhile in my eyes.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

"Finally, as Celtic supporters, faithful through and through....."

If they're as faithful to their team as they have been all season, I'm assuming they'll only be taking up 72% of their allocation of tickets for the match?

newbie if I'm wrong my sincere apologies to you but I stand by my stance- it's pointless. One side thinks one thing, the other thinks the opposite and never the twain shall meet.

Rangers will continue to exist, blue and green will hate each other and the world spins on, I find it hard to see any importance in getting someone to admit something that they never will so let's get back to slagging each other  in song and playing football

Francis Albert

Short of me posting my personal details, all I can do is assure you that I'm a lifelong jambo from the Highlands who (infrequently) posts on TSFM under the moniker Highlander, but like here, I'm mostly a lurker.

ps I notice that there is not one single comment anywhere on the internet (correct me if I'm wrong) that casts doubt on the facts contained within the advert. This, along with the fact that so many people are talking about it makes it worthwhile in my eyes.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

let me introduce to the works our friend bryce. He may be wrong but he certainly casts doubt. Best stop digging.

newbie if I'm wrong my sincere apologies to you but I stand by my stance- it's pointless. One side thinks one thing, the other thinks the opposite and never the twain shall meet.

Rangers will continue to exist, blue and green will hate each other and the world spins on, I find it hard to see any importance in getting someone to admit something that they never will so let's get back to slagging each other  in song and playing football

:spoton:

You say that what annoys you is that they think we should believe their history continues into the present when it clearly ended in 2012. Why does that annoy you? Why is their "preservation of their world record number of league titles" an issue for you? We've been champions four times and I'm proud of that.

From incorporation in 1899 to death in 2012, club and company were one and the same. When one died, so did the other, because they were one entity. If you or they don't like that, then campaign via your MSP to change the law of the land. As a law abiding citizen, my only issue is the avoidance of painful facts just to suit the establishment club.

From incorporation in 1899 to death in 2012, club and company were one and the same. When one died, so did the other, because they were one entity. If you or they don't like that, then campaign via your MSP to change the law of the land. As a law abiding citizen, my only issue is the avoidance of painful facts just to suit the establishment club.

I know you're knew, but just to clear things up.....

we're the establishment club.

:verysmug:

You shouldn't take it as a compliment. You've been a JKB member for over 5 years but your first ever posts are all to contest Hearts fans objections to the Herald advert? Come on.

Sorry, but I obviously didn't spot the quota agreement in the small print.

:cornette:

You'd think that sergay and the rest would have clubbed together and funded their own advert.   If rangers can't die then neither could Hearts. So why did they waste all that time trying to get us killed if such an act was impossible?  Why did so many Hearts fans scrape together the money to keep the club alive if we couldn't die?

Hopefully celtic win by 37 goals there's a massive riot and they, sevco and their bigot hordes are deported to their beloved Ulster.

Most of us agree with that statement, however the two uglie's will always exist in their minds if not ours, the media crave for them! I believe armaggedon will be realised in the Weeg this weekend, not because of the advert but because of their tribal nature, one is as bad as the other the fans are the same only the status of Rangers has changed. New club, new business, old club old business or phoenix club who really cares - although I am fairly sure HMRC are still looking at this point.

Francis Albert

Sorry, but I obviously didn't spot the quota agreement in the small print.

you should have "lurked" a bit harder!

Were the authorities to come out and state that this Rangers started in 2012, that the trophies won with incorrectly registered players were to be stripped from the history of the club which died in 2012 and that their next league title would be their first, it reduces the chances of them ever again having the size of crowd which would allow them to compete with Celtic.

Without their sister club, Celtic's crowds may well continue to wane, in time leaving a more equitable Scottish game in which Hearts may be more predominant and, potentially, more successful.

Very well said.

Almost every Scottish Club has carried debt of some form, most in trying to keep up with Rangers. It has led several to some very dark times.

However, all of those clubs registered their players in accordance with the rules and included every payment they recieved in relation to their employment by said club.

One didn't and incredibly, signing superior players this way (players who would not have come for without this payment) was not deemed to have led to a sporting advantage. Of all of this, I find that the most laughable. That and the fact that the SFA still has not sacked their employee, the man who knew all about it.

Unless a club has no debt at all, then you are talking about degrees of financial incompetence. If you wish to label that 'cheating' then everyone is at, just to differing extents. 

When you deliberately do not register your players in accordance with the rules (to gain an advantage however you slice it), then you are cheating.

Don't disagree but the logic of these people is that we were also in the wrong . Grudging admiration on here would change somewhat if we become their next target

I don't really care who 'newbie' is, how long he's been here, how many posts he's made or to be honest - even where his allegiances lie.

The points he has made have been valid and well put. Better put that a huge number of the 'regulars' contributions on here.

Judge the post, not the poster.

Don't worry, I accept your apology  :whistling:

As I've tried to make clear,I don't expect any change of stance from the fans, but one thing's for sure - if we don't take issue with our corrupt officials, nothing's going to change.

So presumably, if Celtic view their opponents as a new club, with whom they have no history, no rivalry and therefore no bitterness and hatred. Then all Celtic fans will display exemplary behaviour in this fixture. Can't see any reason why they would get all worked up about this fixture.

Francis Albert

Don't worry, I accept your apology  :whistling:

As I've tried to make clear,I don't expect any change of stance from the fans, but one thing's for sure - if we don't take issue with our corrupt officials, nothing's going to change.

Is today really the first day in 5 years you have had any issue with our corrupt officials? And do you believe that that corruption is only for the benefit of one "establishment club"? Can't you think of another "establishment club" that has benefited from that corruption?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is today really the first day in 5 years you have had any issue with our corrupt officials? And do you believe that that corruption is only for the benefit of one "establishment club"? Can't you think of another "establishment club" that has benefited from that corruption?

Newbie isn't the point of this thread.

Are you the official welcoming committee, or perhaps just retired from the Gestapo or Spanish Inquisition? 

ps have you ever thought that every single poster on here, thousands of them, including you, all started at zero posts at some point?

Ordinarily you would have to assume there aren't too many Celtic followers demented enough to believe they are at a disadvantage to some 'establishment club'... given their own club's present day influence within the governing bodies. But it's Celtic followers therefore it's much safer to assume that all of them still buy into this archaic notion of disadvantage. They aren't capable of adapting beyond their own pond of self pity.

To repeat an earlier question on what grounds do you think the Herald should have refused to publish the advert?

(On the wider issue almost all papers are peddling crap these days. They seem to have no strategy for combating new media other than sinking to new media's level or below)

Common decency and the fact it would not meet the tone of the paper, the standards of the paper and would tarnish their name as the Herald is one of the great names of Scottish journalism.

It's the editorial teams paper. Can print what they want within the borders of legality and defamation.

It was the kind of crap you'd expect in a fanzine of a low budget rag which pins its colours to the mast. Imagine if the EEN or Scotsman let us take out an add about 113 years in a row or even the letter to Petrie from a really old Hearts World about not selling Zibi. It's that level of pap.

As you say, it seems the Sunday Herald have opted to try and be a bit too 'new media'. Journalism and being a broadsheet paper, or considered one, means you have standards to follow. By allowing that add they tar themselves as engaging in that type of inter Old Firm nonsense that has tarnished the West Coast and Scotland for years. It was petty by Celtic fans but mad from the Sunday Herald. Even if they had got the lawyers to tone it down.

To those who argue that the fans are the club, therefore the club continues despite liquidation, or that Leeds, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, etc survived liquidation ? I?m afraid that you?re falling for age old myths quoted by ?ra peepul? to try and make themselves feel better. They constantly quote clubs who do not bear comparison, either because they were not liquidated, or they were liquidated before the introduction of the Insolvency Act 1986 (before which liquidation was merely the equivalent of what we now call administration), or they were not subject to Scots Law or the rules and regulations of the Scottish football authorities. The only club whose demise can be likened to Rangers death in recent times is Gretna FC, who no longer exist. Those of you who think that a football club is simply its fans might want to explain why Gretna 2008 has no legal connection to, nor claims to the history of, its defunct predecessor, despite sharing its fanbase and Raydale Park, the stadium. Surely if a club continues despite liquidation as per the Rangers myth, Gretna Football Club still exists, no?

Newbie. I wouldnt bother, but you seem to be presenting yourself as having some grasp of the facts....

You are either ill-informed, or being dishonest, if you're claiming anyone of Leeds, Palace, Middlesbrough, Charlton, Bristol City, Fulham, Wolves, Leicester City, Hearts, Portsmouth etc did not survive at least one dead corporate entity. If you are really are concerned about facts, feel free to become acquainted with some here... https://twitter.com/newcofcs

Why should a club's corporate entity dying "before the introduction of the Insolvency Act" mean it bears no comparison to the Rangers situation?
Clearly not my position, but if club and company are as your side claims "indistinguishable" post-incorporation (Gers in 1899), then dead company = dead club at ANY subsequent point. 1986 legislation makes no difference to that.

You use the vintage "not subject to Scots Law" excuse to side-step applying your dead company = dead club principle consistently. Here's a link to "Scots Law". http://www.legislation.gov.uk/browse/scotland
Please, please point out the content that somehow means dead company = dead club applies only in Scotland, not England. You referred to Scots Law, so you must know, right?

You're attempt to seek an equivalence with Gretna 2008 is simply false. There was no going concern business/assets sale (and therefore no TUPE), no membership transfer, no attempt to meet football debts. Different name, different identity, different club.

Francis Albert

Common decency and the fact it would not meet the tone of the paper, the standards of the paper and would tarnish their name as the Herald is one of the great names of Scottish journalism.

It's the editorial teams paper. Can print what they want within the borders of legality and defamation.

It was the kind of crap you'd expect in a fanzine of a low budget rag which pins its colours to the mast. Imagine if the EEN or Scotsman let us take out an add about 113 years in a row or even the letter to Petrie from a really old Hearts World about not selling Zibi. It's that level of pap.

As you say, it seems the Sunday Herald have opted to try and be a bit too 'new media'. Journalism and being a broadsheet paper, or considered one, means you have standards to follow. By allowing that add they tar themselves as engaging in that type of inter Old Firm nonsense that has tarnished the West Coast and Scotland for years. It was petty by Celtic fans but mad from the Sunday Herald. Even if they had got the lawyers to tone it down.

Most of the "quality" papers used to print pages of stuff by Kim il Jung or whoever was the old North Korean dictator. It was clearly an advertisement not editorial content. It was almost universally ignored. Lots of other nutters have paid for adverts. Lots of crap is published by businesses in adverts. The "tone" and "standards" are not really affected. The problem is when fanzine type material appears in the non-advert editorial content - see the Scotsman and the Record.

Francis Albert

Are you the official welcoming committee, or perhaps just retired from the Gestapo or Spanish Inquisition? 

ps have you ever thought that every single poster on here, thousands of them, including you, all started at zero posts at some point?

After over 5 years of lurking you are catching on quick to this posting lark!

Francis Albert

Newbie isn't the point of this thread.

I don't know. He's having a go.

Anyway let's leave Bryce and Newbie to it.

Newbie. I wouldnt bother, but you seem to be presenting yourself as having some grasp of the facts....

You are either ill-informed, or being dishonest, if you're claiming anyone of Leeds, Palace, Middlesbrough, Charlton, Bristol City, Fulham, Wolves, Leicester City, Hearts, Portsmouth etc did not survive at least one dead corporate entity. If you are really are concerned about facts, feel free to become acquainted with some here... https://twitter.com/newcofcs

Why should a club's corporate entity dying "before the introduction of the Insolvency Act" mean it bears no comparison to the Rangers situation?
Clearly not my position, but if club and company are as your side claims "indistinguishable" post-incorporation (Gers in 1899), then dead company = dead club at ANY subsequent point. 1986 legislation makes no difference to that.

You use the vintage "not subject to Scots Law" excuse to side-step applying your dead company = dead club principle consistently. Here's a link to "Scots Law". http://www.legislation.gov.uk/browse/scotland
Please, please point out the content that somehow means dead company = dead club applies only in Scotland, not England. You referred to Scots Law, so you must know, right?

You're attempt to seek an equivalence with Gretna 2008 is simply false. There was no going concern business/assets sale (and therefore no TUPE), no membership transfer, no attempt to meet football debts. Different name, different identity, different club.

This exchange is between a Rangers and Celtic fan.

Get them btf.

No place on Kickback, surely

So presumably, if Celtic view their opponents as a new club, with whom they have no history, no rivalry and therefore no bitterness and hatred. Then all Celtic fans will display exemplary behaviour in this fixture. Can't see any reason why they would get all worked up about this fixture.

Absolutely.  I will be deeply shocked if they don'y display admirable decorum and refrain from songs with terrorist supporting lyrics.

I don't really care who 'newbie' is, how long he's been here, how many posts he's made or to be honest - even where his allegiances lie.

The points he has made have been valid and well put. Better put that a huge number of the 'regulars' contributions on here.

Judge the post, not the poster.

He speaks for me.

Bryce, this will be my one and only reply to you. Show me where I mentioned "surviving at least one dead corporate entity" and I'll show you where I deliberately and distinctly said "liquidated". Your myths and legends have been debunked over and over again here and on TSFM but you keep regurgitating the same old material as if repetition will somehow make it factually correct. You appear to take the view that if a lie is repeated ad nauseum, it will become accepted fact. You, like the Scottish football authorities who serve your new club are a good part of the reason why that new club is in its death throes, just like its predecessor. Have a nice day now.

Colonel Kurtz

Bryce, this will be my one and only reply to you. Show me where I mentioned "surviving at least one dead corporate entity" and I'll show you where I deliberately and distinctly said "liquidated". Your myths and legends have been debunked over and over again here and on TSFM but you keep regurgitating the same old material as if repetition will somehow make it factually correct. You appear to take the view that if a lie is repeated ad nauseum, it will become accepted fact. You, like the Scottish football authorities who serve your new club are a good part of the reason why that new club is in its death throes, just like its predecessor. Have a nice day now.

excellent post..I recall Rangers fans when Celtic were on he verge of going bust taking out a , in memorium type newspaper advert in I believe  the Herald.

We_are_the_Hearts

Nailed it.....................

So, just to confirm what I think you're trying to say here.

You're suggesting that, despite playing at the same ground, and being followed by the same supporters................... The 'new' Gretna are an entirely different club to the 'old' Gretna.

Interesting. Kinda goes against the claims of most that new Rangers are the same as old Rangers for exactly those reasons.

Do folk genuinely think there will be violence, or more violence, because of a newspaper advert?

If there is going to be violence there is going to be violence. Its Rangers, Celtic, Glasgow, neds, jakes, boozed and drugged up.

And more likely than not both sets of fans will have to share an element of blame. Although on this particular issue I blame Orcs because if they hadnt gone on and on and on (a la Bryce) about this it would have been forgotten about, fans would accept it, wouldnt wind them up and it would be left alone.

Do folk genuinely think there will be violence, or more violence, because of a newspaper advert?

If there is going to be violence there is going to be violence. Its Rangers, Celtic, Glasgow, neds, jakes, boozed and drugged up.

And more likely than not both sets of fans will have to share an element of blame. Although on this particular issue I blame Orcs because if they hadnt gone on and on and on (a la Bryce) about this it would have been forgotten about, fans would accept it, wouldnt wind them up and it would be left alone.

Exactly! Speaking to Rangers fans they couldn't give a shit about the advert - the universal response has been it shows how obsessed Celtic are with Rangers.

Which brings us back to the point many have made, that these two institutions of hate need each other to survive.

Come Sunday Rangers fans who can find anything to hate about any individual/club/fans will leave that at the gates of hampden and focus solely on hating the Catholics in the opposing end. Celtic with no one to hate at the moment and the monotony of another soulless season in the top flight will dust of the ditty's and hate the protestants in the other end.......that will of course include many a reminder of their current plight but will they treat them as a new club or the same old protestants they've always hated - we all know the answer to that.

And if any Celtic fan denies this I point them to the game at Tynecastle this season where they behaved like animals - it was great to be back with the "mini-huns" to hate. I know the response will be, but what about your fans.......that's the Celtic way deflect the blame!!

There will be many a post mortem come Sunday and each club will blame the other, the SFA will get the big brush out and lift the carpet and Police Scotland will claim success as only 10 arrests were made at the game - they'll forget to tell us about the 100's of incidents after the game.

Exactly! Speaking to Rangers fans they couldn't give a shit about the advert - the universal response has been it shows how obsessed Celtic are with Rangers.

Which brings us back to the point many have made, that these two institutions of hate need each other to survive.

Come Sunday Rangers fans who can find anything to hate about any individual/club/fans will leave that at the gates of hampden and focus solely on hating the Catholics in the opposing end. Celtic with no one to hate at the moment and the monotony of another soulless season in the top flight will dust of the ditty's and hate the protestants in the other end.......that will of course include many a reminder of their current plight but will they treat them as a new club or the same old protestants they've always hated - we all know the answer to that.

And if any Celtic fan denies this I point them to the game at Tynecastle this season where they behaved like animals - it was great to be back with the "mini-huns" to hate. I know the response will be, but what about your fans.......that's the Celtic way deflect the blame!!

There will be many a post mortem come Sunday and each club will blame the other, the SFA will get the big brush out and lift the carpet and Police Scotland will claim success as only 10 arrests were made at the game - they'll forget to tell us about the 100's of incidents after the game.

There's never 100's of incidents after an old firm game and I don't see this as being that different.

I'll be out in Glasgow watching the game with friends and will probably see no trouble. Rangers fans don't care about the advert and Celtic fans are cringing about it - I don't expect this to be any worse than any other old firm match.

There are stats out there that since the Old Firm were divorved that sectarian related offences in Glasgow have dropped by about 40%.

It was in a Newspaper article somewhere

There will be the usual half a dozen rows of empty seats and a line of stewards between the sets of fans. Pure theatre inside the ground. I could think of many more derby matches where both sets of fans would demolish that sort of segregation. Most over-hyped rivalry ever.  

There's never 100's of incidents after an old firm game and I don't see this as being that different.

I'll be out in Glasgow watching the game with friends and will probably see no trouble. Rangers fans don't care about the advert and Celtic fans are cringing about it - I don't expect this to be any worse than any other old firm match.

Come on, of course there is. I lived and worked in Glasgow for 18 months and I've witnessed it for myself.

As thorough a response as I expected, with precisely none of my points addressed.

Some equivocating over the meaning of "liquidated"... (if doesn't mean the process of a company being killed off, I've no idea what you're on about)

Some hand-waving at mystery individuals who've "debunked" my points...

Some hypocrisy over "regurgitating the same old material"...

Some trite slanders about repeating a lie...

and.... a wee conspiracy about the authorities being masons, or whatever.

Cue the back-slapping! :D

As thorough a response as I expected, with precisely none of my points addressed.

Some equivocating over the meaning of "liquidated"... (if doesn't mean the process of a company being killed off, I've no idea what you're on about)

I haven't seen where he accused the authorities of being masons.

FWIW I and many others agree with him the authorities have bent over backwards for your horrible club and even gone as far as bending the rules and inventing new rules just to allow you to keep playing. If the authorities had followed the rules correctly you would never have been allowed into the 3rd division.

When you lot actually start to realise these facts that's when MAYBE some other fans of other clubs might start cutting you a bit slack. Until then your lot are nothing more than arrogant cheating scummy barstewards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did newco enter into a financial agreement with oldco to purchase the history/trophies or not. you cant buy history/yer club died or there would have been no need for newco to buy another clubs history.

Archived