Celtic fans' full page ad in Sun Herald

jambovambo

I like being Glaswegian even more now. I wonder if I shout something at a Hearts game you guys cower in fear

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it or not Rangers are Rangers.

Enjoy winding up their knuckle-dragging followers but I think we all know this to be true.

brunoatemyhamster

Still the most truthful piece to have appeared in the Scottish media regarding Sevco tbf.

It'll annoy the Huns. Some Celtic fans will probably get a doing for winding them up about it next week. What's not to like?

Is it wrong to hope for carnage at this fixture so the whole world can see just how scummy both sets of fans are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hopes 

I'm sure every word of it is true.  Can't say the whole old club/new club carry on is much concern of mine personally, clearly is to these guys though.  Seems an expensive way to make a point but what is the ultimate goal?  Must be great if the only concern in your life is the legal age of your nearest rivals.

Hearts fans pretending that you don't take every opportunity to ram it up your city rivals with "infantile" acts

Ffs we have a book and and an endless thread of people in photographs 'doing a 5-1'. What could be more infantile than that?

Everyone on this thread criticising that page is a hypocrite and a liar.

Rofl

It'll annoy the Huns. Some Celtic fans will probably get a doing for winding them up about it next week. What's not to like?

This

Francis Albert

Like that bryce chap who is always on here arguing the opposite,  they protest too much. If they really believed this was the first game against a new club, why spend ?3000 on a newspaper add telling us so?

Hearts fans pretending that you don't take every opportunity to ram it up your city rivals with "infantile" acts

Ffs we have a book and and an endless thread of people in photographs 'doing a 5-1'. What could be more infantile than that?

Rofl

Agreed.

I showed that to my wife and she just read it in stunned silence. She doesn't even like or pay attention to football but she grew up in Castlemilk.

They were worried this old firm match might become a war. It's not in doubt anymore. This statement will travel down through the masses and the battle lines are drawn.

People are going to get hurt.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

As sad as the plums in our support singing about Rangers yesterday.

I thought I heard that yesterday. Utterly embarrassing it was, too.

@cccammy1: The Herald's lawyers went over this advert from Celtic fans about Rangers and toned it down for publication. Lol.

Is it wrong to hope for carnage at this fixture so the whole world can see just how scummy both sets of fans are?

Absolutely not.

Diadora Van Basten

Personally I am glad they did it. There has been a number of occasions were Rangers fans have intimidated people who only stated true facts.

Added to that Doncaster also claimed the Lord Nimmo Smith enquiry proved that Rangers continued as a club.

Personally I think Rangers mark 2 gave them an opportunity to nip the bigotry in the bud but instead Charles Green was happy to play the bigot card and take their money.

The Mighty Thor

@cccammy1: The Herald's lawyers went over this advert from Celtic fans about Rangers and toned it down for publication. Lol.

I can imagine they probably had to. I suspect they probably had to re-draft the passage about the granting of membership etc. No mention of 5 way agreements.

Francis Albert

"Rangers" and their fans are of course fair game for Celtic fans.

It's a bit rich though when Celtic Football Club itself tries to disown the Old Firm tag. They were after all quite keen on the new club being immediately elevated to the SPL as it then was.

Geoff Kilpatrick

"Rangers" and their fans are of course fair game for Celtic fans.

It's a bit rich though when Celtic Football Club itself tries to disown the Old Firm tag. They were after all quite keen on the new club being immediately elevated to the SPL as it then was.

Indeed. A bit of a disconnect between the board and their fans.

Two pages on a HEARTS forum and some people don't get why The Herald published it? As Nucky Thompson once said, opportunity didn't knock so much as knocked their feckin door down!!!

Cha-Ching ????????

lost in space

What is wrong with it? Is it any worse than us singing " You let your club die....etc". Football is tribal and it is fantastic to be able to disrespect your rivals. Too many hun sympathisers with no sense of humour on here.

It will probably end 5-5 in terms of murders after 90 mins with Celtic edging it in extra time with a couple of serious assaults.

What is wrong with it? Is it any worse than us singing " You let your club die....etc". Football is tribal and it is fantastic to be able to disrespect your rivals. Too many hun sympathisers with no sense of humouf on here.

Couldn't agree more. Like Celtic are going to be all sensitive and caught in two minds about upsetting the Rangers ffs.

WorldChampions1902

People are going to get hurt.

People were always going to get hurt. Today's events tragically probably mean there will be even more casualties but I hope I am wrong.

I remember watching a BBC Panorama programme a few years ago called "Scotland's Secret Shame" during which they quoted a frightening statistic that there had been at least one murder directly related to every OF match going back decades.

Let's hope that with The Rangers being a new club, a new chapter can be written in Glasgow football rivalry and the focus remains purely on football.

Rofl

That's a football thing, as stated in my earlier post which you couldn't/didn't answer.

You do what you want. Stick to the Hibs thing of looking at books and accounts, I'll look at football stuff.

As an aside, how did the win at Ibrox against Rangers feel? Did you celebrate the goals from Danny Wilson/Osman Sow like you would any other Ibrox goal? Did you enjoy the singing whilst we were kept in for ten/fifteen mins?

Me? I loved it, I've rarely won in that ground against that team.

"The" Rangers? Sevco? I'll end my post like yours, rofl.

I like being Glaswegian even more now. I wonder if I shout something at a Hearts game you guys cower in fear

You do get that impression, if you post anything that may upset the bigot brothers there are a few on here that do start quaking. "Get it right up them i say,the fuzzywuzzies don't like it up em you know"...... And before the usual PC police accuse me of being racist it's only a quote for Dads army. ;)

I think the point is that this will not make the slightest difference to how next weekend plays out. Are Rangers supporters going to read that and and think "how could you.?" I mean, it's pretty tame next to the standard songs about ibrox disaster, the sash, paedophile priests and Tommy burns.

A_A wehatethehibs

When it all boils down to it, Rangers are Rangers. Yes its a new club with the former club's trophies having been sold for the weight of the silver, but the fans are the same, the poisonous identity is the same - one end catholics with tricolours, the other end prods with union jacks, both bigoted and backwards collectives of poorly educated people blaming one another for all the world's problems, while seeing their own kind as the great and the good. But that's football.

From a Hearts point of view my only interest in the game is to see Rangers come out of the game with their waning confidence well and truly buried.

tartofmidlothian

From a Hearts point of view my only interest in the game is to see Rangers come out of the game with their waning confidence well and truly buried.

:spoton:

Do not see what the problem is.  Good on them for publishing it.

It is all true and really should have been said by the media and authorities instead of the pandering that is the norm.

alwaysthereinspirit

Rofl

It can't be sold in the fiction section so I won't be criticizing.

It's a completely cringeworthy advert, particularly in a week when their club are in the headlines for the right reasons, but people are kidding themselves if they reckon we wouldn't pull stuff like this if we were in their position. Every group of fans has weirdos in it who take it all far too seriously because they haven't got anything else going on in their lives. 

Just out of interest how much would it have cost them to take out a full page in a national newspaper? 

I think I read it cost ?3K.

Sevco has tried to bully and brow beat smaller clubs (the epsiode of "The Rangers" programme being just one) whenever anyone mentioned this  so well done Celtic fans for doing this. It was Reagan or Donkey who said the new club question was a matter for fans. Well , the fans have spoken.

Unless the full page advert is going to be taken out every time they play them (with minor updates saying "this is the 2nd time Celtic have played Sevco" etc) then it's fairly pointless and demonstrates a level of bawbaggery on a par with the Rangers fans who think their club was harshly treated. 

Pity that they won't just die again as their loss is hurting Celtic badly. More hurt for both sides of the OF wouldn't be a bad thing.

If Celtic fans truly believe it's not the same Rangers why are they still so absorbed by them? They still celebrate every mishap/defeat they've suffered post-2012 and relish the prospect of them facing another financial meltdown. They'll no doubt still boast about the 7-1 League Cup Final in '57/58 and will celebrate as wildly as ever if they win next week.

As a wind up the ad works, but as a sincere statement of their position it's pathetic and ridiculous.

I don't care about the Rangers existential debate, but I am enjoying that, new club or not, they're not the force Rangers were prior to 2012, or are ever likely to be imo.

Archived