Boxing and UFC

Masonic

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

It might be, but when was the last time he fought?

Never fought for years when he won the title 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vegas-voss

• Masonic

• ri Alban

• cosanostra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Never fought for years when he won the title 

Yeah.  Edited above as I checked.

Last time he fought was Dec 2016.

That is a ****ing joke.

Just for the record, I like Cruz and think he is great.   I just don't see the point of them pretending to have rankings when it all comes down to influence with Dana.

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

It might be, but when was the last time he fought?

Just checked.

It was Dec 30, 2016

Dec 30, 2016

What about all the fighters that have been active and working their way up the """"" rankings """"""?

He had severe injuries 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He had severe injuries 

So you have some fights to get back up to speed.

You don't just get a title fight straight away because you are pals with Dana.  Oh wait, you do.

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  Edited above as I checked.

Last time he fought was Dec 2016.

That is a ****ing joke.

Just for the record, I like Cruz and think he is great.   I just don't see the point of them pretending to have rankings when it all comes down to influence with Dana.

Aye I know what you mean rankings mean **** all in the UFC

32 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

So you have some fights to get back up to speed.

You don't just get a title fight straight away because you are pals with Dana.  Oh wait, you do.

He's paid his dues. None of this warm up pish, that's for lesser fighters. 

32 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye I know what you mean rankings mean **** all in the UFC

I'd rather the best fought, regardless of ranking. 

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'd rather the best fought, regardless of ranking. 

I agree with that as well cause the UFC rankings are pretty skewed 

Just now, vegas-voss said:

I agree with that as well cause the UFC rankings are pretty skewed 

I'd only pay to watch Conor, Tony, DC and Cyborg. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

I'd only pay to watch Conor, Tony, DC and Cyborg. 

Wouldn't pay to watch any ppv.

Have been to a couple live one in Glasgow and the other in Manchester when Bisping beat Dan Henderson but nah I wouldn't buy ppv.

15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Wouldn't pay to watch any ppv.

Have been to a couple live one in Glasgow and the other in Manchester when Bisping beat Dan Henderson but nah I wouldn't buy ppv.

Loved Dan Henderson, great fighter. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Loved Dan Henderson, great fighter. 

Aye I didn't agree with Bisping getting the win that night.Basically ran away and pot shotted to steal a win.An absolute state Henderson made of his face again but Henderson did slow and was well past his prime.Best knockout ever is when Hendo knocked Bisping ( 1st fight ) out though absolutely brutal.

PS I'm not a Bisping hater.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye I didn't agree with Bisping getting the win that night.Basically ran away and pot shotted to steal a win.An absolute state Henderson made of his face again but Henderson did slow and was well past his prime.Best knockout ever is when Hendo knocked Bisping ( 1st fight ) out though absolutely brutal.

PS I'm not a Bisping hater.

I used to hate MB, thought he was the teachers pet, only so they could cash in on England. But he's a good in the analysis side now and his opinions are usually fair, plus he knows his stuff, so I've changed my opinion on him.

That knockout is magic, tho. Even the unnecessary hit.

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I used to hate MB, thought he was the teachers pet, only so they could cash in on England. But he's a good in the analysis side now and his opinions are usually fair, plus he knows his stuff, so I've changed my opinion on him.

That knockout is magic, tho. Even the unnecessary hit.

Mean man Henderson was and you didn't want to piss him off with the loud mouth chat.

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The second Henderson v Bisping is a great fight. 

Like  or loathe him you cannot deny his heart. Fighting with one eye, the Silva and Henderson victory all show the epic determination and will to win. Even coming back from so many set back to win thing. That said like us all he’s done some ducking stuff in his time, 

@vegas-voss your correct. UFC make last fight on TV prelims (not fight pass) a big fight (aimed at casual fans)  and designed to be exciting, the theory was if you increase the eyes on the freebies that converts to PPV. 

Presume the principal is still the same though ESPN+ may have changed that. 

I also don’t give a **** about Cruz going straight into a title shot. Particularly as there is little star appeal in that division. They were giving Aldo a title shot in that division after one fight and one loss were they not?

I think ESPN isn't ppv now in the states ( well not technically ) is it not the DAZN format where it's a monthly fee ?

But yeah it used/still has  have a headline slot to get buy in hopefully.I liked Bisping was happy he won it but I still wanted Henderson to beat him as have always been a Hendo fan.Bisping was the first ultimate fighter series I watched right through.

Edited by vegas-voss

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The second Henderson v Bisping is a great fight. 

Like  or loathe him you cannot deny his heart. Fighting with one eye, the Silva and Henderson victory all show the epic determination and will to win. Even coming back from so many set back to win thing. That said like us all he’s done some ducking stuff in his time, 

@vegas-voss your correct. UFC make last fight on TV prelims (not fight pass) a big fight (aimed at casual fans)  and designed to be exciting, the theory was if you increase the eyes on the freebies that converts to PPV. 

Presume the principal is still the same though ESPN+ may have changed that. 

I also don’t give a **** about Cruz going straight into a title shot. Particularly as there is little star appeal in that division. They were giving Aldo a title shot in that division after one fight and one loss were they not?

MB lost both those fights. And Aldo was robbed.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah they’re model has changed. I thought it ESPN + which is a monthly fee but had to pay for PPV on top of that. I thought ESPN+ gave you access to Fight pass and other UFC content, with PPV exclusive to them, 

No idea though 🤷🏻‍♂️

The build up to UFC 249 is going to be really strange but I suppose it’s just another thing we need to get used to.

Expensive stuff can see how a lot of US viewers hate the ESPN deal.

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Can’t agree lost those fights (certainly not with UFC scoring system), I agree on Aldo though.  

Aye Bisping won on the scoring system as Dan tired and Bisping jabbed to a win but Dan ****ed him up good again.

8 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye Bisping won on the scoring system as Dan tired and Bisping jabbed to a win but Dan ****ed him up good again.

Anderson won, that was blatant.

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Anderson won, that was blatant.

In my eyes yes but as is with the shit scoring system in UFC I see how he was given the win.

Greedy Jambo

Have you seen the latest of clip of Mike Tyson looking like his old self? 

Now lad bible are saying he's making a comeback. 

Absolutely no chance. He might look quick and powerful in a 10 second clip but he would gas out after 3 rounds, and who's going to give a 53 year old a boxing license?

6 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Have you seen the latest of clip of Mike Tyson looking like his old self? 

Now lad bible are saying he's making a comeback. 

Absolutely no chance. He might look quick and powerful in a 10 second clip but he would gas out after 3 rounds, and who's going to give a 53 year old a boxing license?

Why not? They give older folk a driving licence. Good Luck to him.

I thinking I might give it a go post quarantine and I'm only 46, 47 post lockdown. Feck it. 

Hulk Smash!

Just need to quit the bevvying. :D

AlimOzturk

Mike tyson said he will not be making a professional comeback but doing a few 3-4 round fights for charity.

Nothing to see here

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I wonder if the absence of crowds will impact some fighters? Some fighter rise to the moment and other are hindered by the crowd.

Do wonder if we maybe see a few strange results.

I also see that Thor (Mountain from Game of Thrones) v Eddie Hall have announced a boxing match. They are both strongmen and can only imagine this could possibly be the worst boxing match in history

Tony Ferguson won Tuf 13 , so I don't think it'll be problem for him.

Edited by ri Alban

Greedy Jambo
13 minutes ago, Masonic said:

where are all u hardcores on a wet saturday night in stoke?

There's been another ufc thread made. No sure about the hardcores though. 

• 3 weeks later...
AlimOzturk

Imagine he came back and actually made a dent in boxing again haha

Never happen of course. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Tyson looking in unreal Shape for his comeback

FB_IMG_1590440216863.jpg

Looks fake AF

Here is recent picture  

Mike-Tyson-Weibo-6342.png?quality=90&str

AlimOzturk
52 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Looks fake AF

Here is recent picture  

Mike-Tyson-Weibo-6342.png?quality=90&str

Different angles and poses. Still looks in good knick there

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Different angles and poses. Still looks in good knick there

Not just that, the whole picture is Photoshopped TF.

Regardless,   Tyson is still a terrifying man.

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Not just that, the whole picture is Photoshopped TF.

Regardless,   Tyson is still a terrifying man.

Hormone replacement therapy

I think it was Frank Warren that was saying looking incredibly impressive on a  bag in the gym on a couple of minutes is fine, try doing it in a real situation getting hit back is a different world. I did boxing training when I was very fit in my early 20’s and it was the hardest exercise I’ve done in my life. 
Then I tried sparring...

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think it was Frank Warren that was saying looking incredibly impressive on a  bag in the gym on a couple of minutes is fine, try doing it in a real situation getting hit back is a different world. I did boxing training when I was very fit in my early 20’s and it was the hardest exercise I’ve done in my life. 
Then I tried sparring...

And then beyond that... a competitive fight...

Training to play football is not the same as playing professional football.  Otherwise the game would be flooded with players.

jambo-fletch

Only seen Garbrandt’s knockout, what a shot! Can’t take Connor’s statement seriously. He’ll definitely be fighting again, even if it’s just to complete the Diaz trilogy. 

Edited by jambo-fletch

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

UFC on last night.

Couple of massive KO’s. O’Mally with walk off KO. Whilst Gabarant landed a KO that is so brutal the guy can’t even sit on a stool after break him round. 

Nunez look her usual impressive self.

Ohh and a Conor McGregor allegedly retired again.

O'Mally 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

Matchroom have announced 4 nights of boxing in August called Fight Camp, 5 fights each night, 20 in total.

Some decent matchups with the highlight being Whyte v Povetkin, Egginton v Cheeseman should be the best scrap of week 1

49 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Gilbert Burns who was due to fight for WW title has tested positive for COVID at out the bout. 

Convington and Masdival offered to step up.to face Usman. 

Why Covington? As for Masvidal, he'll lose in under a minute. 

Is this the Fight Island thing? 

AlimOzturk

Is it true that Wilder V Fury has been confirmed for December? Seen rumours of it on Facebook but can't find anything that confirms it. 

27 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I would imagine Covington as it was a cracking bout last time. He’ll sell the fight and is prepared to step up on little over a weeks notice.

i think Masdival got a decent chance against Usman. His boxing significantly better that Usmans, he has great TTD and also active of his back. Plus Mike Brown is great game planner, 

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit Masdival won. Albeit would surprise me Usman just won via top control. 

Yeah fight island due next weekend think 

Masvidal should stick to street fighting. 

As for Colby, he lost, time for someone else to have their shot. 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

As usual I find it hard to agree with much you say. 

Any replacement for the fight is unlikely. due to the COVID protocols. 

Leon Edwards deserves a shot before George 12-6 Masvidal. Colby can be argued, but Dana as ever likes to play the hypocrisy card when it suits. 

Let The Champ pick and he'll go for the Money fight. 

Greedy Jambo

After smashing Darren Till ( the bigger man), smashing Askren in seconds and beating Nate Diaz ( all be it through a doctors stoppage), Masvidal should stick to street fighting? 🤣

C'mon now, that was a ridiculous comment.