Boxing and UFC

Masonic

Why is it more acceptable for a UFC fighter to lose a fight than it is for boxers? Some of these big stars have lost lost on several occasions where as. If this was a boxer he would be rightly kicked to the side

Boxing is just boxing, compared to mma it is relatively easy to protect yourself by covering up your top half. Mma is a completely different beast, pretty much everyone is going to lose at some point due to people fighting on different levels in different aspects on each fight. Pretty much why I am bored of boxing, too one dimensional compared to what is on offer elsewhere now.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vegas-voss

• Masonic

• ri Alban

• cosanostra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boxing is just boxing, compared to mma it is relatively easy to protect yourself by covering up your top half. Mma is a completely different beast, pretty much everyone is going to lose at some point due to people fighting on different levels in different aspects on each fight. Pretty much why I am bored of boxing, too one dimensional compared to what is on offer elsewhere now.

this not to mention most boxers get to choose who they fight.  you can fight 30 middle of the road fighters and get your record up.  Very few MMA fighters have a perfect record - especially when they get into the best competitions like UFC/Bellator.  Khabib Nurmagomedov is one with a 24-0 (8-0 in UFC).

I see Rory has left the Ufc and gone to Bellator.Khabib also threatening to go if he does not get a title shot.Rumours that he will just fight in the big Russian promotions(Bigfoot signed and getting 500k a fight)

I see Rory has left the Ufc and gone to Bellator.Khabib also threatening to go if he does not get a title shot.Rumours that he will just fight in the big Russian promotions(Bigfoot signed and getting 500k a fight)

Bigfoot silva should retire.  a gust of wind can knock him out these days now hes not on the TRT. 

Bellator fighters generally get better pay as they dont have to wear reebok. 

I hope Khabib is COnor's next fight but i dont see it happening.  The UFC could chuck money at Khabib and make him fight Tony Ferguson for interim belt .

also that organisation that Big foot went to sounds dodgy as **** http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/10/26/13417982/bigfoot-silva-to-complete-in-russian-promotion-that-set-up-jeff-monson

Edited by Rastajambo

Good performance by George Groves tonight.

Never looked in any trouble against a tough opponent who did well to last all 12 rounds.

Talk of a rematch between Groves and Degale who is unbeaten apart from that first fight between them.

That would be a cracker!

Degale has a defence coming up soon, not sure how many more fights Groves needs to win to get another shot, but you'd think Degale would want it to try and make up for his only loss.

Gutknecht apparently collapsed in the dressing room and may have even stopped breathing for a short time before being taken to hospital.

Sky Sports saying his condition is unknown but there have been reports on Twitter that he's been operated on and is sedated. They'll know more in a few days...

Sounds like there was bleeding on the brain, hopefully the op caught it in time and there isn't too much damage.

Watching the fight, he was hurt about R6 and for the rest of the fight he was just surviving. His right eye started closing around R9 and although he was returning punches, they had no power... it was basically just a survival exercise.

The commentators did say they should think about pulling him out during the fight, but it was a hard one to call...

With hindsight obviously they should have.

Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

Good performance by George Groves tonight.

Never looked in any trouble against a tough opponent who did well to last all 12 rounds.

Talk of a rematch between Groves and Degale who is unbeaten apart from that first fight between them.

That would be a cracker!

Degale has a defence coming up soon, not sure how many more fights Groves needs to win to get another shot, but you'd think Degale would want it to try and make up for his only loss.

Bound to happen at some point.

Looking forward to Ward Kovalev tonight.

Good performance from Ray there, never really in trouble and dictated the fight. Feck knows how it was a split decision though, never seen it like that myself. Good result anyway!

Good performance from Ray there, never really in trouble and dictated the fight. Feck knows how it was a split decision though, never seen it like that myself. Good result anyway!

One of the clown judges called it 30-27 to Pearson. Absolutely ridiculous.

Pearson did well enough against an opponent who had his moments a few years back.

Still don't really rate him though.

That's bullshit. Great fight, Ward did well, but Kovalev clearly won.

Kovalev won by 3 or 4 rounds. Decision was absurd.

Boxing is completely corrupt and there's nothing anyone seems to be want to do about it.

Great dust up though.

Thought ward won it tbh, think the judges got it right.

Same. Clever fighter. Wanted kovalev to win but after a bright start he never really did much else.

I had it 115-113 Kovalev.

But there were so many close rounds it really could have gone either way by a few, depending on what you prefer.

The boxing forums are tearing themselves apart over the controversy, when there was nothing wrong with the scoring

Personally thought Ward won in a close fight. Could have conceivably gone either way. Think a lot of people letting the fact they were desperate for Kovalev to win cloud their judgement. Either that or they are fairweather fans who don't really understand boxing. The same people who would tell you Pacquiao beat Mayweather :lol:

Ward is an outstanding fighter who has never really gotten the credit he deserves for some reason. Apparently there is a rematch clause, I can see Ward being a lot more dominant in a second fight now he has felt Kovalev's power and has figured him out as he did in the last half of the fight.

Personally thought Ward won in a close fight. Could have conceivably gone either way. Think a lot of people letting the fact they were desperate for Kovalev to win cloud their judgement. Either that or they are fairweather fans who don't really understand boxing. The same people who would tell you Pacquiao beat Mayweather :lol:

Ward is an outstanding fighter who has never really gotten the credit he deserves for some reason. Apparently there is a rematch clause, I can see Ward being a lot more dominant in a second fight now he has felt Kovalev's power and has figured him out as he did in the last half of the fight.

I can see why people would have Kovalev winning, and it was definitely a close fight, but I don't see how the decision is controversial.

It's a shame because it was a good fight, and the judges called it right (imo), and yet people are just talking about how the judges got it so wrong.

Because when judges don't agree with them some people scream it's a fix or a robbery.

When you stop and actually think, there were 5 rounds in that fight that could easily have been scored either way, or a draw, it's very easy to see how it could swing one way or the other. I could watch it back now and almost certainly score several rounds differently

I think it was the 7th or 8th round, the only scoring shots were jabs, 2 stiff jabs from Ward and one to Kovalev.

I gave Kovalev the round for trying to take the fight to Ward and some half landed shots but on actual punches landed, Ward nicks it.

There were a few rounds that were literaly that close. Most of them I scored to Kovalev on work rate but can completely understand how someone gives them to Ward on cleaner work, movement and defence and 'ring generalship.'

Edited by davie1980

I didn't think that the Mayweather v Pacquiao decision was remotely controversial tbh. My facebook feed was full of guys who watch one fight a year going on about a fix and wrong decision etc so you may have a point there.

I think Ward's behaviour at the end tells it's own story. The guy couldn't believe that he'd won. He was clearly a little shocked to say the least.

That decison will be talked about for years to come. The American commentators, the ringside pundits, Marvin Hagler and the studio guests over here, all scored it as a narrow but decisive win for Kovalev.

I'm a massive Andre Ward fan and I'm happy that he's kept his run going. I do like Kovalev too though so I guess something had to give.

Looking forward to the rematch. They both seemed keen.

Sten, I'm guessing that he got the fighters mixed up.

Otherwise, he's just mental or shit.

I wonder what next for Stevie Ray. The young Aussie guy that he was supposed to fight, Jake Matthews would be a good one.

He's a great talent for such a young guy but he got his clock cleaned brutally on his last outing.

I could see them remaking that. It's hard to see Ray amounting to much more than 15-20 in the rankings unless he starts beating some quality fighters.

Think Ward nicked it. Anyone who thinks a couple of rounds decision either way is controversial really doesn't understand boxing.

So far I've read comments from Chris Eubank Jr, Marvin Hagler and one of the Klitchko's who all regard the decision as controversial and incorrect. Same with boxing correspondents for the LA Times, HBO, The Guardian, ESPN, The Associated Press and Fox Sports. I guess they must not understand boxing.

I had it as Ward by 2 in the end and tbh I think those 'journalists' at ringside that had Kovalev winning it by 5 must have decided amongst themselves that body shots from Ward were't going to count!

The stats had Kovalev miles up on landed punches but I'd far rather count 1 bodyshot connecting with the other guys ribs than 5 or 6 shots landing on elbows/gloves. 

Ribble, punches to the elbows and gloves don't count in any boxing scoring system.

It has to be a punch to the head or the front and side of the torso.

So far I've read comments from Chris Eubank Jr, Marvin Hagler and one of the Klitchko's who all regard the decision as controversial and incorrect. Same with boxing correspondents for the LA Times, HBO, The Guardian, ESPN, The Associated Press and Fox Sports. I guess they must not understand boxing.

It was a ridiculously close fight with most rounds being extremely close and so difficult to score that who won the round was likely to come down to the subjective preference of the scorer and whether they prefer the quality of work or agression and harder punching.

Anyone who says that there was no way Ward could have won that fight either doesn't understand boxing or is too pompous to appreciate that where a fight and rounds are extremely close most people will score it subjectively on what they prefer.

Ward winning by one round wasn't controversial in a fight that close. I'd imagine a lot of people who scored Kovalev winning would accept that given how close the fight was they can still see how Ward won if the judges preferred the quality punches. I'd imagine most people who had Ward winning could also see how someone could score Kovalev winning by a round or 2 as well, 5 rounds though like Ledermans card really is controversial (and probably influenced a lot of HBO viewers view of the fight).

Ribble, punches to the elbows and gloves don't count in any boxing scoring system.

It has to be a punch to the head or the front and side of the torso.

Fully aware of that, point was that most of those saying Kovalev wide didn't appear to!

I'll be surprised if Haye ever fights someone like Joshua or Fury, guy is clearly just back for the money and would rather earn it in overhyped "grudge matches" like this than through grafting his way back to top.

Surprised the fight is at Heavyweight, can't see it going well for Bellew...

jack D and coke

Bellew is massively reckless and a bit of a dick but I hope he puts Haye's lights out. He's been mugging the public off for long enough with his shitey bouts.

I'll be surprised if Haye ever fights someone like Joshua or Fury, guy is clearly just back for the money and would rather earn it in overhyped "grudge matches" like this than through grafting his way back to top.

Surprised the fight is at Heavyweight, can't see it going well for Bellew...

Haye couldn't make cruiserweight anymore. He is nearing 17 stone nowadays. His last fight he looked absolutely massive.

Haye is not only a class above Tony bellew, he is also heavier and stronger.

Won't last long.

jack D and coke

Haye couldn't make cruiserweight anymore. He is nearing 17 stone nowadays. His last fight he looked absolutely massive.

Haye is not only a class above Tony bellew, he is also heavier and stronger.

Won't last long.

Who has Haye ever really fought? I honestly don't rate the guy at all. He fights absolute bums.

Who has Haye ever really fought? I honestly don't rate the guy at all. He fights absolute bums.

I'm no fan but he was a very good fighter at cruiserweight. He's beat a couple of decent folk at heavyweight , or at least people that are hard to beat such as valuev and Ruiz. KO'd Chisora as well which Vitali or Fury couldn't manage.

jack D and coke

I'm no fan but he was a very good fighter at cruiserweight. He's beat a couple of decent folk at heavyweight , or at least people that are hard to beat such as valuev and Ruiz. KO'd Chisora as well which Vitali or Fury couldn't manage.

Aye suppose, I think this might be a good fight as they really don't like each other at all. Fair play to Bellew stepping up too.

jack D and coke

If Bellew can punch as well as he can spout pish then he has a puncher's chance.

Otherwise it's Goodnight Vienna.

He was winding Haye up on TV and he didn't look too chuffed.

He can punch alright. He's very reckless though and he doesn't like Haye at all so I'd imagine he'll be even more reckless than usual. It could be over fairly sharp[emoji1]

Froch has dismissed yesterdays rumours that he was coming out of retirement to fight GGG  (Froch, Adam Smith and Johnny Nelson are in my office right now!)

Generic Username

I see it all kicked off yesterday with an MMA fighters association being formed including some relatively "big" names behind it in GSP, Cerrone & Dillishaw. Seems to be a fairly insane disparity between pay and a serious lack of benefits.

I see it all kicked off yesterday with an MMA fighters association being formed including some relatively "big" names behind it in GSP, Cerrone & Dillishaw. Seems to be a fairly insane disparity between pay and a serious lack of benefits.

Yeah fighters only get 8% of revenue i think i read.

• 2 weeks later...

Good night of fighting to look forward to.

Chisora V Whyte. Goes all the way with Whyte winning.

Joshua v Molina. No idea what molina is like. Got to think Joshua wins this.

Good night of fighting to look forward to.

Chisora V Whyte. Goes all the way with Whyte winning.

Joshua v Molina. No idea what molina is like. Got to think Joshua wins this.

Likely best fight of the night just been on.

Chisora v whyte should at least be competitive but probably a poor fight but Joshua fighting another pudding again.

Likely best fight of the night just been on.

Chisora v whyte should at least be competitive but probably a poor fight but Joshua fighting another pudding again.

Yeah great end. Thought the tall lad threw that fight away. Had it won

a wee bit of help needed , im at work but have mobdro on my phone , what station will it be on.

thanks

Sky box office.