Tour de France 2014

Boomstick

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Channel 4 have an Armstrong documentary on tomorrow at 9. Looks interesting.

Which one have they got on? I'm watching the beeb one just now.

Sergio Garcia

Which one have they got on? I'm watching the beeb one just now.

The Armstrong Lie.

The Armstrong Lie.

Tidy, I've not seen that. That'll see me through the inevitable Monday Night Dread.

siegementality

I've just come back from three days following the tour. Absolutely brilliant experience. Me and the Mrs going to follow it in France for a week next year :-)

Riders complaining about people taking selfies at the side of the road :wow:

Imagine turning your back to the peloton, trying to get a daft picture, totally oblivious to what's going on around you. That will cause major crashes and injuries.

It's bad enough when people stand in the road trying to get photos when they're facing the riders and can see what's coming!

People are retards.

Greedy_Jambo

Can an injured rider rejoin the tour a few days later or are you out as soon as you miss a race?

Can an injured rider rejoin the tour a few days later or are you out as soon as you miss a race?

When you're out you're out.

Out is out. Riders also have to complete each stage within a percentage of the leader's time otherwise they get eliminated (similar to the 107% rule for qualification in grand prix F1 races)

Greedy_Jambo

That Kittel with the yellow jersey was rotten yesterday. Must of lost 20 minutes

Craig Gordons Gloves

It was a sure thing that Cavendish would have a bad tour the moment i picked him for my fantasy team....

Watched stage 2 last night having been away from twitter etc all day - was quite exciting watching it 'as live'. That final slope looked fun....

That Kittel with the yellow jersey was rotten yesterday. Must of lost 20 minutes

He's a sprinter. As a rule they are generally rubbish at climbing. Like asking Usain Bolt to run a marathon. He will be in the top 10 today, nap.

He's a sprinter. As a rule they are generally rubbish at climbing. Like asking Usain Bolt to run a marathon. He will be in the top 10 today, nap.

Tope 10? Top 2 imo. Him or Griepel today.

Tope 10? Top 2 imo. Him or Griepel today.

I was being conservative. Also be interesting to see what Omega Pharma do today with Renshaw.

I've just come back from three days following the tour. Absolutely brilliant experience. Me and the Mrs going to follow it in France for a week next year :-)

Is there much to do apart from stand on the pavement and wait for the bikes to go past?

Greedy_Jambo

I understand that sprinters are generally crap at climbing but I didn't think he would of struggled so badly.

I understand that sprinters are generally crap at climbing but I didn't think he would of struggled so badly.

If you think that was bad just wait for the time gaps that will open when they hit the alps.

Kittel won't finish the race in the top 80. I think he'll get the most individual stage wins though.

The People's Chimp

Is there much to do apart from stand on the pavement and wait for the bikes to go past?

The 'caravane' goes past first, an hour of publicity vehicles blasting past playing music, throwing out freebies and so on, there are all the police vehicles, motorbikes, TV cars, TV bikes, helicopters overhead, the atmosphere builds up, and depending on where you are, there may be screens you can watch. I was lucky enough to be 500m from the finish in Harrogate, so we had an exciting finish to wait for, and they had a screen next to where we were so we watched on there. The atmosphere was electric.

Craig Gordons Gloves

What's with all this interviewing of random fans :muggy:

What's with all this interviewing of random fans :muggy:

I'm not seeing any of that. The coverage by NBC Sports over here has been outstanding the last couple of years - Phil Liggett doing the commentating and a decent pair of talking heads in the studio. No nonsense like interviewing random fans.

I'm not seeing any of that. The coverage by NBC Sports over here has been outstanding the last couple of years - Phil Liggett doing the commentating and a decent pair of talking heads in the studio. No nonsense like interviewing random fans.

Phil Liggett is in his 70s now. How long do you think he'll last? It won't be the same without him. He's done every tour in my life - probably even yours...

Craig Gordons Gloves

Phil Liggett is in his 70s now. How long do you think he'll last? It won't be the same without him. He's done every tour in my life - probably even yours...

You're right - he was commentating on it when i started watching when C4 had it. He's outstanding. One of the best commentators in any sport imo. I think he'll have a couple more years in him.

And listen cheeky lad, i'm only a decade or so older than you.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Bit of rain. Could make the sprint interesting.

Kittel again. Mind he won the first two stages of the Giro this year then got sick. He's a brilliant sprinter though. That didn't seem to trouble him at all.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Kittel will be hard to stop on the flat stages such as Arras-Reims I would think.

Loved the Armstrong Lie Documentary. Shows how easy it was to get drawn into his lie, even the filmaker admitted it.

Sprints are a bit of a formality aint they? Vincenzo in yellow mind. Hopefully we have a competition this year. Enjoying it thus far and really looking forward to tomorrow with some wee bits of road from "The Hell of the North".

smallfaces

Sprints are a bit of a formality aint they? Vincenzo in yellow mind. Hopefully we have a competition this year. Enjoying it thus far and really looking forward to tomorrow with some wee bits of road from "The Hell of the North".

It's going to be interesting to see how the top GC riders cope with the pave sections. Most don't have any experience of competing at speed over these.

Not fussed about Froomes dodgy wrist, just can't take to the guy. Going to be a good stage to watch.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Looking at some of the photos that have been tweeted by some riders of the "cobbles" tomorrow it looks like they'll need mountain bike tires as some of the gaps between the stones look wide enough for a wheel to get stuck in.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Looking at some of the photos that have been tweeted by some riders of the "cobbles" tomorrow it looks like they'll need mountain bike tires as some of the gaps between the stones look wide enough for a wheel to get stuck in.

I am sure they mentioned in the preview that about 10% of todays stage was on "cobbles", so that is about 16km. Should be fun!!!!

Kittel again. Cav is going to have to come back stronger than ever if he wants to keep his status as the fastest sprinter in the world.

Is it just me though, or has Kittel not done anything as amazing as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUD0CPKJSM

That was unbelievable. How far ahead did they get?

Renshaw got 2nd ffs. :laugh:

Today could get messy. TDF just tweeted the weather forecast. Rain all day with strong winds a proper muddy type of Roubaix mess of a day.

Today could get messy. TDF just tweeted the weather forecast. Rain all day with strong winds a proper muddy type of Roubaix mess of a day.

I'm off today so I'll watch the lot live.

Carnage today then.

All roads lead to Gorgie

BBC saying two cobbled sections removed for safety reasons because of rain today.

Adam Murray

Mayhem already today with crashes, and they haven't even reached the cobbles yet!

Froome been down twice, second one looks a soar one. Cannondale putting the hammer down

All roads lead to Gorgie

Is Geraint Thomas Sky's top rider now and do they push him as high as they can.?

Is Geraint Thomas Sky's top rider now and do they push him as high as they can.?

It'll be Richie Porte.

Adam Murray

They'll probably put the team behind Richie Porte now, Froome's right hand man, decent climber too

All roads lead to Gorgie

Ritchie Porte, thanks guys. Are they allowed to bring in a new domestique to make up the full team.?

Adam Murray

Ritchie Porte, thanks guys. Are they allowed to bring in a new domestique to make up the full team.?

No

Archived